ADVERTISEMENT

2018 BWI College Football Pick'Em

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Once again, I invite you to join the BWI College Football Pick'Em. As always, the competition is just for bragging rights. There is no entry fee to participate, and you don't win any money for winning the BWI College Football Pick'Em.

To join,CLICK HERE
(https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college)

I caution again that the process I go through to set up a group is not the same as someone that is joining a group. As such, I'm not certain of the order of the process, so if any of the below is out of sequence, please post a corrected order and I'll edit this post.

From the above LINK, select the Join a Group pushbutton

From the Join Group screen, go to the right side.

In the Group ID# field, enter: 8842

In the Password field, enter "pennstate"

Then, select the Join Group pushbutton

At this point, you'll have to create a handle. In Yahoo's lingo, that is your "Pick Set Name." Please try to use your board handle as your Pick Set Name. (Note: I believe the default is to have your e-mail address viewable to all. If you don't want this, then deselect that option.)

I've opted for the weekly slate of games to be:

- the Yahoo default games AND the B1G conference games AND Top 25 games

- tie-breakers will be used each week

- you get to drop your 2 worst scores for the overall competition (season-long)

- the deadline for entering selections is 5 minutes before the start of a game

I have not opted to pick against the point spread, or to rank your games by your confidence level.

If we look back at last year’s season-long competition, these were the final standings:
1st - yours truly
2nd - SFNit and Nittany.Lion tied
3rd - erie lion
4th – BrianS and Knightslayer tied
5th – NorCal Lion
6th – twak
7th – Ktownlion, PSU Paul, john4psu, bytir and Safety Blitz tied
8th – MontereyLion and Cool Bean tied
9th – NitneLiun, G Dub and Jrs1024 tied
10th – Bob78
11th – major hoople, Steviedpsu and phyrst317 tied
12th – psu621, leinbacker and sneedram55 tied
13th – paulrandythomas, Ralphie_, Mrs. Gambit, 1knojksht and THE Humanist tied

Week 1's slate is posted so register for the BWI Pick’Em and get your picks in.

Best of luck to all that play!

Reactions: Bob78
Tom, there are only 11 games for week one and they are all Bigten games.
It seem they have left off the Top 25 games.

Good catch! I had selected the Top 25 games, the Yahoo default games, as well as the B1G games. After seeing your post, I went back in to the settings, and discovered that the Top 25 and Yahoo default options were not checked off (really have no clue how they got un-checked). I modified the settings, so that all 3 groups of games are included. So Week 1's slate went from 11 games to 37 games.

Note: if you joined and entered your picks before I made the change (only a handful of people had joined at that time), your picks were deleted. When you go in to make selections for the additional 26 games, you'll find that you have to pick for all 37. My bad

Thanks again.

This wil likely be fixed- it's probably a Yahoo glitch, but where it asks you to predict the score of the Miami, Fla LSU game, it's Miami, Fla __ Miami, Fla __. Unless it's a scrimmage and Miami is playing itself, looks like there's an issue. Heck, maybe it'll be fixed before anyone else notices LOL.

This wil likely be fixed- it's probably a Yahoo glitch, but where it asks you to predict the score of the Miami, Fla LSU game, it's Miami, Fla __ Miami, Fla __. Unless it's a scrimmage and Miami is playing itself, looks like there's an issue. Heck, maybe it'll be fixed before anyone else notices LOL.

there are often glitches early after the slate is loaded. FWIW, when I entered my pics about an hour ago, it showed Miami (FL) and LSU in the tiebreaker, so I guess it has been fixed

Reactions: mickey_PSU
there are often glitches early after the slate is loaded. FWIW, when I entered my pics about an hour ago, it showed Miami (FL) and LSU in the tiebreaker, so I guess it has been fixed

After seeing the winner of last season, my wife suspected as much, but she didn't want to cast aspersions. :) Since she's back to reading War and Peace, I guess I'll enter anyway. Maybe I can shoot for 2nd place.;)

Hey Tom-- I took a quick look at the settings- it has "yes" under spread, are we using the spread this year?

Hey Tom-- I took a quick look at the settings- it has "yes" under spread, are we using the spread this year?

good grief. I did not select that when I set up the Pick'Em, and I didn't select it when I made the changes after Montery noticed only B1G games were on the slate. I really have no idea how that got into the settings.

It doesn't appear that by removing that from the settings, which I just did, that picks made before I made the change were deleted.

Thanks for the finding that!

good grief. I did not select that when I set up the Pick'Em, and I didn't select it when I made the changes after Montery noticed only B1G games were on the slate. I really have no idea how that got into the settings.

It doesn't appear that by removing that from the settings, which I just did, that picks made before I made the change were deleted.

Thanks for the finding that!

Tom-- it's not you, I think Yahoo is having some "issues" LOL.

If it's still limited to 100 participants, there's few spots left so if you're "thinking about it", stop thinking and join!

Why isn’t tonight’s NW vs Purdue game included in the pick list? It’s a B1G game.

Why isn’t tonight’s NW vs Purdue game was ncluded in the pick list? It’s a B1G game.

I don't know for sure, but I believe they try to avoid too many Thursday games. Lots of participants in the Pick'Em don't make their selections until shortly before the games. Many of those participants, and others, end up missing the Friday games, and the Thursday games, which hurts their weekly and season-long score.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Week 1 Results

Jimpsu 1992 bested the field, as he went 32-3 on Week 1's slate. That's an awesome start to the Pick'Em. Richy, bmw199, Ski, and Limestone_Lion tied for 2nd, with 30 points. Safety Blitz, SJLuvsLions, twak, phillybilly, harjeff, 8842, Ntlion, and CoolBean tied for 3rd, with 29 points. SweetRevenge, AlohaT, Burnsie 1983, MvilleLion, JaxLion, BtownLion, The Husky Jawns, Walleye, WDLion, Jrs1024, lionroar88, nitlion7176, Prindy, Peetz Pearly Picks, rem524, Bergie's blues, RocketPSU, Nittanyfan333, Coach Lun, For the Glory!, MtNitany, Faraway, rotz, PSUHarr33, NorCal Lion, oldbald22, Mick7432, LastFedaykin, Sviatoslav, bytir, Adog, Edh85, erie lion, ncwref, 22mike, and yours truly tied for 4th, with 28 points. 21 contestants tied for 5th, with 27 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and special kudos to Jimpsu 1992.

I don't start tracking the season-long competition until around the 4th week of the contest.

In the real contest, my old adversary, twak, bested me, 29 points to 28 points.

I generally hold off on posting the results until the following week's slate is posted. Alas, I have a pretty busy schedule in the coming days, so I'm posting the Week 1 results now, before the Week 2 slate is posted, and will try to post something when the Week 2 slate appears.

Week 2 Results

SWFlaLion and phillybilly both posted impressive scores of 35 points. Due to the tiebreakers, SWFlaLion took the weekly honors. split_t, BtownLion, Mick7432, Ralphie_, Major Hoople, beaverstadium, and cigarowl tied for 2nd, with 34 points. NewEra 2014, RocketPSU, oldbald22, jtlion, Woodpecker, Jrs1024, mickey_PSU, and Richy's tied for 3rd, with 33 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to SWFlaLion.

A reminder that I don't start tracking the season-long competition until around the 4th week of the competition.

In the real competition, twak and I tied with scores of 31. Ugh.

The slate for Week 3 has been posted, and it's another big one, with 37 games. All of the games are scheduled for Saturday. Here's hoping that the hurricane on the East Coast doesn't screw up too many of the games.

Week 3 Results

AirForce1, Nittanyfan333, Safety Blitz, BiochemPSU, and Nisi Masas tied for the top score with 25 points. Due to the tiebreakers, AirForce1 walks away with the win. Sometimes I list the contestants with the second best weekly score, but there were 17 contestants that scored 24 in Week 3, so I'm going to save my fingertips some wear and tear. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to AirForce1.

A reminder that I typically don't track the season-long competition until the 4th or 5th week of the Pick'Em.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 24 points to 22 points.

The slate for Week 4 has been posted. It has 33 games, including 3 on Friday night, one of which is PSU's game.

Anyone else noticed that their dropped points are greater than their score this week? (this assumes you had better weeks in 1 and 2 haha) I'm assuming it's a glitch that will be worked out at some point.

Anyone else noticed that their dropped points are greater than their score this week? (this assumes you had better weeks in 1 and 2 haha) I'm assuming it's a glitch that will be worked out at some point.

Based on the error comments, it appears to be a problem that is affecting other College Football Pick'Em groups. I added a comment for the BWI group. Hopefully it will get fixed.

Week 4 Results

Safety Blitz, MontereyLion, LastFedaykin, erie lion, and john4psu each scored 28 points. Due to the tiebreakers, Safety Blitz was the winner for Week 4. MvilleLionFan, joewp, Bob78, Fac, Down in front, Major Hoople, mickey_PSU, and yours truly tied for 2nd, with 27 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Safety Blitz!

As indicated above, I don't generally track the season-long contest until the 4th or 5th week. Now that we're at week 4, I've concluded that I'm going to wait until Week 5 to track the season-long contest. For those interested, phillybilly is currently in 1st place in the season-long contest.

In the real contest, I bested twak, 27 points to 25 points. ;)

The Week 5 slate has been posted. There are 30 games on the slate, with 1 Friday night game.

Lastly, it does appear that the glitch Yahoo had with which scores were being dropped has been fixed, at least for now.

Week 5 Results

NittanyLionFan, Fac, PSU Toronto, Caniopsu, erie lion, NorCal Lion, and MontereyLion each posted impressive scores of 27 for the week. Due to the tiebreakers, NittanyLionFan took the weekly honors. 16 contestants (i.e., too many to list) scored 26 for the week. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to NittanyLionFa.

In the Season-long competition, Phillybilly is in 1st place, with 89 points. Safety Blitz and LastFedaykin are tied for 2nd, with 88 points. mickey_PSU, Jrs1024, Mick7432, Major Hoople, bmw199, Limestone_Lion, and Jimpsu1992 are tied for 3rd, with 87 points. Caniopsu, NorCal Lion, MontereyLion, twak, rem524, john4psu, MvilleLionFan, oldbald22, beaverstadium, Cigar Owl, cool bean, harjeff, lionroar88, and yours truly are tied for 4th, with 86 points. NittanyLionFan, Fac, Bob78, Faraway, joewp, Burnsie1983, RocketPSU, and Down in front are tied for 5th, with 85 points. Adog, 22mike, ncwref, RockyMtnLion, AirForce1, NitneLiun, Peetz Pearly Picks, SWFlatLion, AlohaT, Coach Lun, BrianS, NewEra 2014, fairgambit, Ralph, and rotzc are tied for 6th, with 84 points. PSU Toronto, erie lion, WDLion, Ski, BiochemPSU, Sviatoslav, Walleye, Bergie's blues, Woodpecker, Nitlion, PSUHarr33, bytes, split_t, nitlion7176 are tied for 7th, with 83 points. PSU Paul, Nittany Lion, paulrandythomas, RWCStateFan bschneider22, mtopchuck, PSU_Fan77, G Dub, For the Glory!, Mcsorley2018heisman, Edh85, psu621, Snags So Cold and jtlion are tied for 8th, with 82 points. callmejg11, Lionville, swfskunkape, and SJLuvsLions are tied for 9th, with 81 points. Pick Sixers is in 10th place, with 80 points. By tradition, I usually only list those that are in the top 10. Also, my apologies for any typos. My browser keeps trying to auto-correct these crazy handles. Congrats to Phillybilly, and to all others mentioned in the top 10. Also, a shout out to MontereyLion, whose lurking in 4th place, but has the highest number of dropped points (51) from the two lowest scores that are dropped. The season-long competition has a long way to go, so nobody is the favorite at this point.

In the real competition, the twakker bested me, 26 points to 25 points. We're tied for 4th place in the season-long competition with 86 points.

The slate for Week 6 has been posted. It is 32 games, and includes 2 Friday night games.

Week 6 Results

A lot of upsets in Week 6 resulted in lower scores across the board. SWFlaLion and Peetz Pearly Picks topped the field with a score of 23. Due to the tiebreakers, SWFlaLion took the weekly prize. 18 contestants (i.e., too many to list) tied for 2nd place, with a a score of 22. Congrats to the aforementioned, and the 18 that tied for 2nd, and major kudos to SWFlaLion, who won the week, and also became the 1st 2-time weekly winner this season.

In the season-long competition, phillybilly remained in 1st place with 114 points. mickey_PSU, Safety Blitz, and MontereyLion tied for 2nd place, with 113 points. john4psu, Fac, Limestone_Lion, NorCal Lion, and Major Hoople tie for 3rd place, with 112 points. twak, bmw199, jrs1024, MvilleLionFan, Mick7432, Bob78, rem524, oldbald22, and yours truly tied for 4th place, with 111 points. joewp, harjeff, cool bean, beaverstadium, Caniopsu, and Jimpsu1992 tied for 5th place, with 110 points. NittanyLionFan, Faraway, Burnsie1983, NitneLiun, AirForce1, and LastFedaykin tied for 6th place, with 109 points. Peetz Pearly Picks, cigarowl, BrianS, lionroar88, ncwref, 22mike, RocketPSU, BiochemPSU, Coach Lun, NewEra 2014, and AlohaT tied for 7th place, with 108 points. SWFlaLion, fairgambit, mttopchuck, RockyMtnLion, Sviatoslav, Walleye, RWCStateFan, Ralphie_, Down in front, bytir, G Dub, Adog, and callmejg11 are tied for 8th place, with 107 points. Woodpecker, Mcsorley2018heisman, PSU Paul, For the Glory!, bschneidr22, and PSUHarr33 tied for 9th place, with 106 points. erie lion, PSU Toronto, split_t, paulrandythomas, PSU_Fan77, Nitlion, swfskunkape, Edh85, and psu621 tied for 10th place, with 105 points.

In the real competition, twak bested me 22 points to 21 points. We're tied in the season-long competition, in 4th place.

The Week 7 slate has been posted, and includes 3 Friday night games.

Week 7 Results

In a week with a lot of upsets on the field, Mcsorley2018heisman proved to be the top prognosticator, as he posted a score of 22. Burnsie1983, NittanyLionFan, and Woodpecker tied for 2nd, with 21 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Mcsorley2018heisman.

In the season-long competition, there was a good deal of movement in the standings. Safety Blitz moved into 1st place, with 138 points. MontereyLion moved into 2nd place, with 137 points. NorCal Lion and phillybilly tied for 3rd place, with 136 points. mickey_PSU, Bob78, and yours truly tied for 4th place, with 135 points. AirForce1, harjeff, john4psu, MvilleLionFan, Fac, and Limestone_Lion tied for 5th place, with 134 points. Cool Bean, joewp, beaver stadium, twak, bmw199, and jrs1024 tied for 6th place, with 133 points. NittanyLionFan, Jimpsu1992, rem524, Faraway, oldbald22, NitneLiun, and Major Hopple tied for 6th place, with 132 points. Burnsie1983, BrianS, Mick7432, AlohaT, Peetz Pearly Picks, Walleye, Caniopsu, NewEra 2014, 22mike, RocketPSU, and G Dub tied for 7th place, with 131 points. BiochemPSU, mttopchuck, LastFedaykin, ncwref, RockyMtnLion, cigarowl, bschneider22, fairgambit, and callmejg11 tied for 8th place, with 130 points. Coach Lun, SWFlaLion, bytir, RWCStateFan, and Adog tied for 9th place, with 129 points. Mcsorley2018heisman, Woodpecker, PSUHarr33, Down in front, Sviatoslav, PSU Paul, and ralphie_ tied for 10th place, with 128 points. We're halfway through the season, and once again it appears that the season-long competition will be quite competitive.

In the real competition, twak and I tied for the week, with 19 points. In the season-long competition, I'm ahead of twak, 135 points to 133 points.

The week 8 slate has been posted, and includes 29 games.

Week 8 Results

Oh my, it appears that yours truly won the weekly honors, with a score of 26. SWFlaLion and 22mike tied for 2nd, with 25 points. Nine competitors tied for 3rd, with 24 points. Congrats to the aforementioned.

In the season-long competition, Safety Blitz stayed atop the competition, with a score of 162 points. Yours truly moved up to 2nd place, with 161 points. MontereyLion is in 3rd place, with 160 points. mickey_PSU, NorCal Lion, and phillybilly are tied for 4th place, with 158 points. beaver stadium, MvilleLionFan, and Bob78 are tied for 5th place, with 157 points. 22mike, NittanyLionFan, twak, Limestone_Lion, AirForce1, and john4psu are tied for 6th place, with 156 points. AlohaT, Major Hoople, Faraway, NitneLiun, Cool Bean, joewp, Fac, bmw199, and harjeff are tied for 7th place, with 155 points. SWFlaLion, ncwref, Peetz Pearly Picks, Jrs1024, and cigarowl are tied for 8th place, with 154 points. RockyMtnLion, BiochemPSU, G Dub, BrianS, RocketPSU, Mick7432, rem524, and oldbald22 are tied for 9th place, with 153 points. Ralphie_, RWCStateFan, bytir, Coach Lun, bschneider22, fairgambit, NewEra 2014, Walleye, Burnsie1983, Jimpsu1992, and mttopchuck are tied for 10th, with 152 points. There are still 6 weeks left in the competition, so the standings are likely to change a great deal before the end of the season.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 26 points to 23 points. I also am ahead of him in the season-long competition, 161 points to 156 points.

The week 9 slate has been posted. It has 29 games, including 3 Friday games.

Week 9 Results

Lots of upsets in the slate keep the scores relatively low. Coach Lun, Woodpecker, and PSUHarr33 tied for the top score, with 21 points. Due to the tiebreaker, Coach Lun took the weekly competition. G Dub and BrianS tied for 2nd, with 20 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Coach Lun.

In the season-long competition, there wasn't a lot of movement at the top of the standings. Safety Blitz remained in 1st place, with 183 points. Your truly remained in 2nd place, with 182 points. MontereyLion remained in 3rd place, with 181 points. mikey_PSU moved into sole possession of 4th place, with 179 points. NittanyLionFan, NorCal Lion, phillybilly, twak, beaver stadium, and MvilleLionFan tied for 5th place, with 178 points. Bob78, john4psu, joewp, Peetz Pearly Picks, AirForce1, Faraway, and Limestone_Lion tied for 6th place, with 177 points. SWFlaLion, NitneLiun, 22mike, and CoolBean tied for 7th place, with 176 points. BrianS, RockyMtnLion, Jrs1024, ncwref, and Fac tied for 8th place, with 175 points. fairgambit, cigarowl, AlohaT, and hprjeff tied for 9th place, with 174 points. Coach Lun, Woodpecker, G Dub, Mick7432, RocketPSU, Burnsie1983, Walleye, RWCStateFan, bmw199, BiochemPSU, and rem524 tied for 10th place, with 173 points. There are five weeks left in the competition. If any of them has as many upsets as Week 9, then there will be quite a bit of movement in the season-long competition.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 17 points to 16 points. I'm also ahead of him in the season-long competition, 182 points to 178 points.

There are 29 games in the Week 10 slate, including 2 Friday night games.

Week 10 Results

For the Glory! bested the field in Week 10 with a score of 26. Safety Blitz, AlohaT, Bob78, Peetz Pearly Picks, Faraway, PSU Toronto, MontereyLion, G Dub, and Jrs1024 tied for 2nd, with 25 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to For the Glory!

In the season-long competition, Safety Blitz remained in 1st place, with 208 points. MontereyLion moved up to 2nd place, with 206 points. Yours truly dropped to 3rd place, with 205 points. Bob78, Peetz Pearly Picks, Faraway, NittanyLionFan, and mickey_PSU tied for 4th, with 202 points. john4psu, joewp, and twak tied for 5th, with 201 points. Jrs1024, AirForce1, NorCal Lion, and MvilleLionFan tied for 6th place, with 200 points. AlohaT, Limestone_Lion, and phillybilly tied for 7th, with 199 points. G Dub, wcwref, NitneLiun, CoolBean, 22mike, and beaverstadium tied for 8th, with 198 points. RocketPSU, cigarowl, RockyMtnLion, and Fac tied for 9th, with 197 points. Ralphie_ and SWFlaLion tied for 10th, with 196 points. There are 4 weeks left in the competition. Safety Blitz has been atop the standings for some time. MontereyLion has been lurking for some time, and now has moved into 2nd place. There's still time for a lot of movement in the competition. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 17 to 16. In the season-long competition, I'm ahead of twak, 205 to 201.

There are 34 games in the Week 11 slate, with 2 Friday night games.

Week 11 Results

bmw199, joewp, Peetz Pearly Picks, NittanyLionFan, phillybilly, Down in front, Bob78, RockyMtnLion, Fac, cigarowl, G Dub, and harjeff tied for the top scores in the week, with 29 points. Due to the tiebreakers, bmw199 took the weekly honors. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to bmw199.

In the season-long competition, Safety Blitz remained in 1st place, with 235 points. MontereyLion remained in 2nd place, with 234 points. Yours truly remained in 3rd place, with 233 points. Peter Pearly Picks, NitanyLionFan, and Bob78 are tied for 4th place, with 231 points. joewp is in 5th place, with 230 points. twak, mickey_PSU, and Faraway are tied for 6th place, with 229 points. phillybilly, MvilleLionFan, and john4psu are tied for 7th place, with 228 points. G Dub and NorCal Lion are tied for 8th place, with 227 points. RockyMtnLion, Fac, cigarowl, beaverstadium, NitneLiun, and CoolBean are tied for 9th place, with 226 points. ncwref and AlohaT are tied for 10th place, with 225 points. With 3 weeks left in the competition, the title is still up for grabs, though Safety Blitz has been atop the board since Week 7.

In the real competition, twak and I tied with 28 points. In the season-long competition I'm ahead of twak, 233 points to 229 points.

Next week's slate is a big one -- 37 games, with one of them being a Friday night game.

Week 12 Results

acenittany, NorCal Lion, lionroar88, Jimpsu1992, NitneLiun, Coach Lun, 22mike, Fac, Safety Blitz, RWCStateFan, and MvilleLionFan each posted scores of 31. Due to the tiebreakers, acenittany won the prize for Week 12. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to acenittany.

In the season-long competition, Safety Blitz remained in 1st place, with 266 points. MontereyLion remained in 2nd place, with 264 points. Yours truly remained in 3rd place, with 262 points. NittanyLionFar took sole possession of 4th place, with 261 points. joewp and Bob78 tied for 5th place, with 260 points. MvilleLionFan and mickey_PSU tied for 6th place, with 259 points. NorCal Lion, john4psu, phillybilly, and twak tied for 7th place, with 258 points. NitneLiun, Fac, Faraway, and Peetz Pearly Picks tied for 8th place, with 257 points. G Dub has sole possession of 9th place, with 256 points. AlohaT, RockyMtnLion, beaverstadium, and cigarowl tied for 10th, with 255 points. There are two weeks left in the competition. Safety Blitz has been in 1st place since Week 7, and he increased his lead to 2 points. Monterey Lion also increased his cushion over 3rd place to 2 points. Even secure leads have disappeared in the final week in past years, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

In the real competition, twak and I tied with 29 points. In the season-long competition, I'm ahead of twak, 262 points to 258 points.

Week 13 has 31 games on the slate, including 7 on Friday.

Week 13 Results

bytir, NewEra 2014, and yours truly topped the competition with scores of 25. Due to the tiebreakers, bytes took the weekly prize. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to bytir.

In the season-long competition, things tightened up at the top of the standings. Safety Blitz remained in 1st place, with 289 points. MontereyLion remained in 2nd place, with 288 points. Yours truly remained in 3rd place, with 287 points. joewp moved into 4th place, with 284 points. MvilleLionFan moved into 5th place, with 283 points. Bob78 and NittanyLionFan tied for 6th place, with 282 points. john4psu moved into sole possession of 7th place, with 281 points. twak, phillybilly, and mickey_PSU are tied for 8th place, with 280 points. Far, NitneLiun, and NorCal Lion are tied for 9th place, with 279 points. CigarOwl is in sole possession of 10th place, with 278 points. RWCStateFan, ncwref, RockeyNtnLion, G Dub, and Faraway are tied for 11th place, with 277 points. lionroar88, and Peetz Pearly Picks are tied for 12th place, with 276 points. bytir, PSU Paul, and CoolBean are tied for 13th place, with 275 points. erie lion, PSU Toronto, Burnsie1983, 22mike, and beaverstadium are tied for 14th place, with 274 points. NewEra 2014, fair gambit, For the Glory, and AlohaT are tied for 15th place, with 273 points. This is the final week of the competition. Due to the reduced number of games on the slate, there often is a lot of movement in the standings after the last week of the competition. Can Safety Blitz hold onto the lead he's held since Week 7? It seems likely, but we'll have to wait to see.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 25 points to 22 points. In the season long competition, I'm ahead of twak, 287 to 280 points.

The week 14 slate has been posted, and it includes 2 Friday night games.

Tom....I am sure you already know this but the final results of the Pickem Contest are already determined. Because this final week only has 16 games, the best anyone could do is win 16 points. Everyone but those that have stopped playing have a dropped week that is at least 16. Most have more.
Therefore this weeks results will be dropped by all and our highest dropped week previous to this week, will count. Your 19 will count. My 18 will count etc. SafetyBlitz will be the winner by 2 games. You and I will come in second, 2 games behind. joewp will be 5 games behind. MvilleLionFan will be 7 games behind . etc. etc. Though we drop 2 week's scores, it is like we only drop 1. Because this last week has so few games, it will always be dropped. If you wanted to actually drop 2 games you would have to drop 3. Congrats to SafetyBlitz. Job well done.

Last edited:
Tom....I am sure you already know this but the final results of the Pickem Contest are already determined. Because this final week only has 16 games, the best anyone could do is win 16 points. Everyone but those that have stopped playing have a dropped week that is at least 16. Most have more.
Therefore this weeks results will be dropped by all and our highest dropped week previous to this week, will count. Your 19 will count. My 18 will count etc. SafetyBlitz will be the winner by 2 games. You and I will come in second, 2 games behind. joewp will be 5 games behind. MvilleLionFan will be 7 games behind . etc. etc. Though we drop 2 week's scores, it is like we only drop 1. Because this last week has so few games, it will always be dropped. If you wanted to actually drop 2 games you would have to drop 3. Congrats to SafetyBlitz. Job well done.

Bummer. I trail SafetyBlitz by exactly 16. I thought, with a perfect slate, and with everyone else getting em' all wrong, I could force a tie and go into overtime. Now my hopes are dashed. Oh well, congrats SafetyBlitz! And congrats on a great season Tom & Monterery Lion.

sad-animated-animation-boy-smiley-e.gif~c200

If you wanted to you can figure out who is going to win the contest because there are only 16 games this weekend.:rolleyes:
Think about that!!!

Tom - If you can you need to eliminate the dropping of any weeks and play all weeks. All games count. FWIW the final week will always be dropped due to the number of games playing whereas this should be where someone close to the top can gamble to try to overcome the top dog. Just like the position you were in. Just my 2 cents worth.
:rolleyes:

Week 14 & Final Results

Peetz Pearly Picks topped the rest of the competitors in the weekly competition, with a score of 14. 24 contestants (too many to key in) tied for 2nd place, with 13 points. Congrats to all that did well in the weekly competition, and major kudos to Peetz Pearly Picks for the win.

In the season-long competition, Safety Blitz finished in 1st place, with 308 points. MontereyLion and yours truly tied for 2nd place, with 306 points. joewp finished in 3rd place, with 303 points. NittanyLionFan finished in 4th place, with 302 points. MvilleLionFan finished in 5th place, with 301 points. Bob78 finished in 6th place, with 300 points. mickey_PSU, john4psu, and twak finished in 7th place, with 299 points. phillybilly finished in 8th place, with 298 points. G Dub, NorCal Lion, NitneLiun, and CigarOwl finished in 9th place, with 297 points. Faraway, lionroar88, Fac, RockyMtnLion, and ncwref finished in 10th place, with 296 points. Peetz Pearly Picks, CoolBean, and Burnsie1983 finished in 11th place, with 295 points. RWCStateFan and bytes finished in 12th place, with 294 points. PSU Paul finished in 13th place, with 293 points. 22mike, PSU Toronto, beaverstadium, and fairgambit finished in 14th place, with 292 points. SWFlaLion, erie lion, For the Glory! Walleye, BiochemPSU, AlohaT, Woodpecker, NewEra 2014, and Coach Lun finished in 15th place, with 291 points. rem524, bmw199, bschneider22, and Ralphie_ finished in 16th place, with 289 points. LastFedaykin, Down in front, and RocketPSU finished in 17th place, with 288 points. Limestone_Lion and Mick7432 finished in 18th place, with 287 points. oldbald22 finished in 19th place, with 286 points. PSU_Fan77 finished in 20th place, with 285 points. Nittany Lion, Sviatoslav, and Jimpsu1992 finished in 21st place, with 284 points. The small slate in Week 14 didn't change the top of the standings too much. It did, however, seem to spread out the standings below the top of the board. Safety Blitz wins the 2018 BWI College Pick'Em board championship, and has bragging rights for a year. He took 1st place in the 7th week of the competition, and was able to hold off all challengers throughout the 2nd half of the season. That's pretty damn impressive.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 13 points to 12 points. In the season-long competition, I finished in 2nd place, with 306 points, while twak finished in 7th place, with 299 points.

My thanks to all that participated in this season's competition. I'll run a BWI board March Madness competition for the NCAA BB tournament, and will be back with a BWI College Football Pick'Em next season. Last year, Yahoo did not offer a College Football Bowl Pick'Em. I haven't seen any evidence that they're running one this season, though I will keep checking.

Hey Tom,
Thanks for organizing the Pick ‘Em contest. I look forward to it every season. My goal is usually to crack the Top 10. Shocked myself when I kept hanging around the top of the standings. Won’t be any bragging from me. I’m proof it is better to be lucky than good.
Best wishes to all for the holidays.

ADVERTISEMENT