2018 BWI College Football Pick'Em

Discussion in 'BWI / McAndrew Board' started by Tom McAndrew, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew Well-Known Member
    Staff
    Expand Collapse

Once again, I invite you to join the BWI College Football Pick'Em. As always, the competition is just for bragging rights. There is no entry fee to participate, and you don't win any money for winning the BWI College Football Pick'Em.

To join,CLICK HERE
    (https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college)

I caution again that the process I go through to set up a group is not the same as someone that is joining a group. As such, I'm not certain of the order of the process, so if any of the below is out of sequence, please post a corrected order and I'll edit this post.

From the above LINK, select the Join a Group pushbutton

From the Join Group screen, go to the right side.

In the Group ID# field, enter: 8842

In the Password field, enter "pennstate"

Then, select the Join Group pushbutton

At this point, you'll have to create a handle. In Yahoo's lingo, that is your "Pick Set Name." Please try to use your board handle as your Pick Set Name. (Note: I believe the default is to have your e-mail address viewable to all. If you don't want this, then deselect that option.)

I've opted for the weekly slate of games to be:

- the Yahoo default games AND the B1G conference games AND Top 25 games

- tie-breakers will be used each week

- you get to drop your 2 worst scores for the overall competition (season-long)

- the deadline for entering selections is 5 minutes before the start of a game

I have not opted to pick against the point spread, or to rank your games by your confidence level.

If we look back at last year’s season-long competition, these were the final standings:
    1st - yours truly
    2nd - SFNit and Nittany.Lion tied
    3rd - erie lion
    4th – BrianS and Knightslayer tied
    5th – NorCal Lion
    6th – twak
    7th – Ktownlion, PSU Paul, john4psu, bytir and Safety Blitz tied
    8th – MontereyLion and Cool Bean tied
    9th – NitneLiun, G Dub and Jrs1024 tied
    10th – Bob78
    11th – major hoople, Steviedpsu and phyrst317 tied
    12th – psu621, leinbacker and sneedram55 tied
    13th – paulrandythomas, Ralphie_, Mrs. Gambit, 1knojksht and THE Humanist tied

Week 1's slate is posted so register for the BWI Pick’Em and get your picks in.

Best of luck to all that play!

Bob78 likes this.
  2. MontereyLion

MontereyLion Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Tom, there are only 11 games for week one and they are all Bigten games.
    It seem they have left off the Top 25 games.

3. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Good catch! I had selected the Top 25 games, the Yahoo default games, as well as the B1G games. After seeing your post, I went back in to the settings, and discovered that the Top 25 and Yahoo default options were not checked off (really have no clue how they got un-checked). I modified the settings, so that all 3 groups of games are included. So Week 1's slate went from 11 games to 37 games.

Note: if you joined and entered your picks before I made the change (only a handful of people had joined at that time), your picks were deleted. When you go in to make selections for the additional 26 games, you'll find that you have to pick for all 37. My bad

Thanks again.

Bob78 and MontereyLion like this.
  4. mickey_PSU

mickey_PSU Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This wil likely be fixed- it's probably a Yahoo glitch, but where it asks you to predict the score of the Miami, Fla LSU game, it's Miami, Fla __ Miami, Fla __. Unless it's a scrimmage and Miami is playing itself, looks like there's an issue. Heck, maybe it'll be fixed before anyone else notices LOL.

5. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

there are often glitches early after the slate is loaded. FWIW, when I entered my pics about an hour ago, it showed Miami (FL) and LSU in the tiebreaker, so I guess it has been fixed

mickey_PSU likes this.
  6. fairgambit

fairgambit Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

After seeing the winner of last season, my wife suspected as much, but she didn't want to cast aspersions. :) Since she's back to reading War and Peace, I guess I'll enter anyway. Maybe I can shoot for 2nd place.;)

mickey_PSU and Tom McAndrew like this.
  7. mickey_PSU

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey Tom-- I took a quick look at the settings- it has "yes" under spread, are we using the spread this year?

8. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

good grief. I did not select that when I set up the Pick'Em, and I didn't select it when I made the changes after Montery noticed only B1G games were on the slate. I really have no idea how that got into the settings.

It doesn't appear that by removing that from the settings, which I just did, that picks made before I made the change were deleted.

Thanks for the finding that!

mickey_PSU likes this.
  9. mickey_PSU

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Tom-- it's not you, I think Yahoo is having some "issues" LOL.

10. john4psu

john4psu Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm in. Notre Dame-Michigan about 50/50. Who picked App St?????

11. mickey_PSU

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If it's still limited to 100 participants, there's few spots left so if you're "thinking about it", stop thinking and join!

12. PeetzPoolBoy

PeetzPoolBoy Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why isn’t tonight’s NW vs Purdue game included in the pick list? It’s a B1G game.

13. MontereyLion

MontereyLion Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Minnesota is on tonight too Why were they left off?

14. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

I don't know for sure, but I believe they try to avoid too many Thursday games. Lots of participants in the Pick'Em don't make their selections until shortly before the games. Many of those participants, and others, end up missing the Friday games, and the Thursday games, which hurts their weekly and season-long score.

PeetzPoolBoy likes this.
  15. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 1 Results

Jimpsu 1992 bested the field, as he went 32-3 on Week 1's slate. That's an awesome start to the Pick'Em. Richy, bmw199, Ski, and Limestone_Lion tied for 2nd, with 30 points. Safety Blitz, SJLuvsLions, twak, phillybilly, harjeff, 8842, Ntlion, and CoolBean tied for 3rd, with 29 points. SweetRevenge, AlohaT, Burnsie 1983, MvilleLion, JaxLion, BtownLion, The Husky Jawns, Walleye, WDLion, Jrs1024, lionroar88, nitlion7176, Prindy, Peetz Pearly Picks, rem524, Bergie's blues, RocketPSU, Nittanyfan333, Coach Lun, For the Glory!, MtNitany, Faraway, rotz, PSUHarr33, NorCal Lion, oldbald22, Mick7432, LastFedaykin, Sviatoslav, bytir, Adog, Edh85, erie lion, ncwref, 22mike, and yours truly tied for 4th, with 28 points. 21 contestants tied for 5th, with 27 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and special kudos to Jimpsu 1992.

I don't start tracking the season-long competition until around the 4th week of the contest.

In the real contest, my old adversary, twak, bested me, 29 points to 28 points.

I generally hold off on posting the results until the following week's slate is posted. Alas, I have a pretty busy schedule in the coming days, so I'm posting the Week 1 results now, before the Week 2 slate is posted, and will try to post something when the Week 2 slate appears.

16. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 2 Results

SWFlaLion and phillybilly both posted impressive scores of 35 points. Due to the tiebreakers, SWFlaLion took the weekly honors. split_t, BtownLion, Mick7432, Ralphie_, Major Hoople, beaverstadium, and cigarowl tied for 2nd, with 34 points. NewEra 2014, RocketPSU, oldbald22, jtlion, Woodpecker, Jrs1024, mickey_PSU, and Richy's tied for 3rd, with 33 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to SWFlaLion.

A reminder that I don't start tracking the season-long competition until around the 4th week of the competition.

In the real competition, twak and I tied with scores of 31. Ugh.

The slate for Week 3 has been posted, and it's another big one, with 37 games. All of the games are scheduled for Saturday. Here's hoping that the hurricane on the East Coast doesn't screw up too many of the games.

17. SW Fla Lion

SW Fla Lion Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

First week 99/100; second week 1/100 - I guess turning that dart board upside down helped.

18. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 3 Results

AirForce1, Nittanyfan333, Safety Blitz, BiochemPSU, and Nisi Masas tied for the top score with 25 points. Due to the tiebreakers, AirForce1 walks away with the win. Sometimes I list the contestants with the second best weekly score, but there were 17 contestants that scored 24 in Week 3, so I'm going to save my fingertips some wear and tear. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to AirForce1.

A reminder that I typically don't track the season-long competition until the 4th or 5th week of the Pick'Em.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 24 points to 22 points.

The slate for Week 4 has been posted. It has 33 games, including 3 on Friday night, one of which is PSU's game.

19. mickey_PSU

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Anyone else noticed that their dropped points are greater than their score this week? (this assumes you had better weeks in 1 and 2 haha) I'm assuming it's a glitch that will be worked out at some point.

20. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Based on the error comments, it appears to be a problem that is affecting other College Football Pick'Em groups. I added a comment for the BWI group. Hopefully it will get fixed.

mickey_PSU likes this.
  21. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 4 Results

Safety Blitz, MontereyLion, LastFedaykin, erie lion, and john4psu each scored 28 points. Due to the tiebreakers, Safety Blitz was the winner for Week 4. MvilleLionFan, joewp, Bob78, Fac, Down in front, Major Hoople, mickey_PSU, and yours truly tied for 2nd, with 27 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Safety Blitz!

As indicated above, I don't generally track the season-long contest until the 4th or 5th week. Now that we're at week 4, I've concluded that I'm going to wait until Week 5 to track the season-long contest. For those interested, phillybilly is currently in 1st place in the season-long contest.

In the real contest, I bested twak, 27 points to 25 points. ;)

The Week 5 slate has been posted. There are 30 games on the slate, with 1 Friday night game.

Lastly, it does appear that the glitch Yahoo had with which scores were being dropped has been fixed, at least for now.

mickey_PSU likes this.
  22. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 5 Results

NittanyLionFan, Fac, PSU Toronto, Caniopsu, erie lion, NorCal Lion, and MontereyLion each posted impressive scores of 27 for the week. Due to the tiebreakers, NittanyLionFan took the weekly honors. 16 contestants (i.e., too many to list) scored 26 for the week. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to NittanyLionFa.

In the Season-long competition, Phillybilly is in 1st place, with 89 points. Safety Blitz and LastFedaykin are tied for 2nd, with 88 points. mickey_PSU, Jrs1024, Mick7432, Major Hoople, bmw199, Limestone_Lion, and Jimpsu1992 are tied for 3rd, with 87 points. Caniopsu, NorCal Lion, MontereyLion, twak, rem524, john4psu, MvilleLionFan, oldbald22, beaverstadium, Cigar Owl, cool bean, harjeff, lionroar88, and yours truly are tied for 4th, with 86 points. NittanyLionFan, Fac, Bob78, Faraway, joewp, Burnsie1983, RocketPSU, and Down in front are tied for 5th, with 85 points. Adog, 22mike, ncwref, RockyMtnLion, AirForce1, NitneLiun, Peetz Pearly Picks, SWFlatLion, AlohaT, Coach Lun, BrianS, NewEra 2014, fairgambit, Ralph, and rotzc are tied for 6th, with 84 points. PSU Toronto, erie lion, WDLion, Ski, BiochemPSU, Sviatoslav, Walleye, Bergie's blues, Woodpecker, Nitlion, PSUHarr33, bytes, split_t, nitlion7176 are tied for 7th, with 83 points. PSU Paul, Nittany Lion, paulrandythomas, RWCStateFan bschneider22, mtopchuck, PSU_Fan77, G Dub, For the Glory!, Mcsorley2018heisman, Edh85, psu621, Snags So Cold and jtlion are tied for 8th, with 82 points. callmejg11, Lionville, swfskunkape, and SJLuvsLions are tied for 9th, with 81 points. Pick Sixers is in 10th place, with 80 points. By tradition, I usually only list those that are in the top 10. Also, my apologies for any typos. My browser keeps trying to auto-correct these crazy handles. Congrats to Phillybilly, and to all others mentioned in the top 10. Also, a shout out to MontereyLion, whose lurking in 4th place, but has the highest number of dropped points (51) from the two lowest scores that are dropped. The season-long competition has a long way to go, so nobody is the favorite at this point.

In the real competition, the twakker bested me, 26 points to 25 points. We're tied for 4th place in the season-long competition with 86 points.

The slate for Week 6 has been posted. It is 32 games, and includes 2 Friday night games.

mickey_PSU likes this.
  23. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 6 Results

A lot of upsets in Week 6 resulted in lower scores across the board. SWFlaLion and Peetz Pearly Picks topped the field with a score of 23. Due to the tiebreakers, SWFlaLion took the weekly prize. 18 contestants (i.e., too many to list) tied for 2nd place, with a a score of 22. Congrats to the aforementioned, and the 18 that tied for 2nd, and major kudos to SWFlaLion, who won the week, and also became the 1st 2-time weekly winner this season.

In the season-long competition, phillybilly remained in 1st place with 114 points. mickey_PSU, Safety Blitz, and MontereyLion tied for 2nd place, with 113 points. john4psu, Fac, Limestone_Lion, NorCal Lion, and Major Hoople tie for 3rd place, with 112 points. twak, bmw199, jrs1024, MvilleLionFan, Mick7432, Bob78, rem524, oldbald22, and yours truly tied for 4th place, with 111 points. joewp, harjeff, cool bean, beaverstadium, Caniopsu, and Jimpsu1992 tied for 5th place, with 110 points. NittanyLionFan, Faraway, Burnsie1983, NitneLiun, AirForce1, and LastFedaykin tied for 6th place, with 109 points. Peetz Pearly Picks, cigarowl, BrianS, lionroar88, ncwref, 22mike, RocketPSU, BiochemPSU, Coach Lun, NewEra 2014, and AlohaT tied for 7th place, with 108 points. SWFlaLion, fairgambit, mttopchuck, RockyMtnLion, Sviatoslav, Walleye, RWCStateFan, Ralphie_, Down in front, bytir, G Dub, Adog, and callmejg11 are tied for 8th place, with 107 points. Woodpecker, Mcsorley2018heisman, PSU Paul, For the Glory!, bschneidr22, and PSUHarr33 tied for 9th place, with 106 points. erie lion, PSU Toronto, split_t, paulrandythomas, PSU_Fan77, Nitlion, swfskunkape, Edh85, and psu621 tied for 10th place, with 105 points.

In the real competition, twak bested me 22 points to 21 points. We're tied in the season-long competition, in 4th place.

The Week 7 slate has been posted, and includes 3 Friday night games.

24. Tom McAndrew

Staff
    Expand Collapse

Week 7 Results

In a week with a lot of upsets on the field, Mcsorley2018heisman proved to be the top prognosticator, as he posted a score of 22. Burnsie1983, NittanyLionFan, and Woodpecker tied for 2nd, with 21 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Mcsorley2018heisman.

In the season-long competition, there was a good deal of movement in the standings. Safety Blitz moved into 1st place, with 138 points. MontereyLion moved into 2nd place, with 137 points. NorCal Lion and phillybilly tied for 3rd place, with 136 points. mickey_PSU, Bob78, and yours truly tied for 4th place, with 135 points. AirForce1, harjeff, john4psu, MvilleLionFan, Fac, and Limestone_Lion tied for 5th place, with 134 points. Cool Bean, joewp, beaver stadium, twak, bmw199, and jrs1024 tied for 6th place, with 133 points. NittanyLionFan, Jimpsu1992, rem524, Faraway, oldbald22, NitneLiun, and Major Hopple tied for 6th place, with 132 points. Burnsie1983, BrianS, Mick7432, AlohaT, Peetz Pearly Picks, Walleye, Caniopsu, NewEra 2014, 22mike, RocketPSU, and G Dub tied for 7th place, with 131 points. BiochemPSU, mttopchuck, LastFedaykin, ncwref, RockyMtnLion, cigarowl, bschneider22, fairgambit, and callmejg11 tied for 8th place, with 130 points. Coach Lun, SWFlaLion, bytir, RWCStateFan, and Adog tied for 9th place, with 129 points. Mcsorley2018heisman, Woodpecker, PSUHarr33, Down in front, Sviatoslav, PSU Paul, and ralphie_ tied for 10th place, with 128 points. We're halfway through the season, and once again it appears that the season-long competition will be quite competitive.

In the real competition, twak and I tied for the week, with 19 points. In the season-long competition, I'm ahead of twak, 135 points to 133 points.

The week 8 slate has been posted, and includes 29 games.

mickey_PSU likes this.