ADVERTISEMENT

2018-2019 Takedown Data

LemonPie

Jan 2, 2016
Saw that there was some interest in keeping takedown data for 2018-2019 season.
See:
I'm game for helping contribute to a season-running Gsheet that includes takedown data from Keystone & Scuffle & B1Gs & Nationals, if you wanna start one up & share contribution rights to me.

Luckily PSU wrestling is very accessible and keeping tabs on this stuff isn't very complicated. Using formulas in google sheets allows you to easily plug the new data after every match. Here's a completed example for Shakur Rasheed. I'll try to finish the rest this week.

EDIT: Finished.

Last edited:
Also, which metric is preferable?
Takedowns per minute of neutral wrestling
OR
Takedowns per 7 minutes of neutral wrestling

Any others that you can think of?

Last edited:
Every time I try to give direct link to google sheet, I get some crappy embedded version. Sorry. I really hate message boards sometimes.

you complete me
Also, which metric is preferable?
Takedowns per minute of neutral wrestling
OR
Takedowns per 7 minutes of neutral wrestling

Any others that you can think of?

Is it possible to break down into the 3 periods?

Reactions: LemonPie
you complete me

Is it possible to break down into the 3 periods?

you're talking splits? yeah, that's interesting. Certainly workable. Thanks, giving me something to think about.

Nolf’s 3rd period splits (when he even gets there) would be insane!

LP you're a demi-god when it comes to data and GIFs. How's the 2019 T-Rex calendar coming? I have a friend who would like a copy when it's available ;)

Do data exist for shots taken? Shot efficiency would be interesting to see.

This would be amazing information to have. Problem is coming up with an operational definition for a shot attempt. I’d be willing to trust someone’s judgement, but I havent seen any real data on shot efficiency.

And I suppose if we looked a hundreds of hours of baseline data, we could determine where scoring opportunities are “created.” Like if having one leg up in the air had a takedown conversion rate of 80%, we could feel comfortable in counting that particular sequence as a scoring opportunity. And then of course we could calculate the rates at which an individual converts such opportunities.

Reactions: Dogwelder
This would be amazing information to have. Problem is coming up with an operational definition for a shot attempt. I’d be willing to trust someone’s judgement, but I havent seen any real data on shot efficiency.

And I suppose if we looked a hundreds of hours of baseline data, we could determine where scoring opportunities are “created.” Like if having one leg up in the air had a takedown conversion rate of 80%, we could feel comfortable in counting that particular sequence as a scoring opportunity. And then of course we could calculate the rates at which an individual converts such opportunities.
Yeah, I imagine it'd be really tough to settle on a standard for 'shot attempt' given the inherent subjectivity which would seem to include trying to gauge wrestlers' intent (e.g., shooting to score vs shooting to stave off a stall call). Also, some wrestlers get a majority of the offense from go-behinds, and not only heavys waiting for you to shoot, but guys like Hall who go behind off arm drags and ducks, so 'shot attempts' would maybe need to correct for a bias toward guys who get their offense off getting to legs.

OP has been updated.

Take it for what it's worth. These are definitely unofficial stats. They haven't been double-checked as of now, but we'll see if I find the time to go back and scan for errors. Anyone is welcome to browse through the data and find where I may have gone wrong.

It's also reliant upon the accuracy of FloArena dashboard for the Keystone Classic. I know there is one instance of the timestamp being wrong in a Nick Lee match. Since full matches are not available, I couldn't correct it by watching the match. I know he got a takedown at some point in a 36 second sequence, so I split the difference at 18. So his info regarding neutral wrestling is +/- 18 seconds.

Quality of individual competition plays a huge role this early in the season. You can see that impact in guys like Hall and Cassar-- though styles play a role as well. Things tend to balance out as we get further into the season. Also plan to keep "splits" on takedown data versus ranked competition. Not worth doing at the moment because we've hit so few.

Last edited:
OP has been updated.

Take it for what it's worth. These are definitely unofficial stats. They haven't been double-checked as of now, but we'll see if I find the time to go back and scan for errors. Anyone is welcome to browse through the data and find where I may have gone wrong.

It's also reliant upon the accuracy of FloArena dashboard for the Keystone Classic. I know there is one instance of the timestamp being wrong in a Nick Lee match. Since full matches are not available, I couldn't correct it by watching the match. I know he got a takedown at some point in a 36 second sequence, so I split the difference at 18. So his info regarding neutral wrestling is +/- 18 seconds.

Quality of individual competition plays a huge role this early in the season. You can see that impact in guys like Hall and Cassar-- though styles play a role as well. Things tend to balance out as we get further into the season. Also plan to keep "splits" on takedown data versus ranked competition. Not worth doing at the moment because we've hit so few.
Which visitor to this board was saying Cenzo lacked offense? LOL

Sorry Dar, but I found it, and was curious what you think. ;)

My outsiders opinion....for what its worth.
Vincenzo is now impossible to score upon. His hips are too heavy and legs are too strong to score on him with traditional leg attacks. To beat him, you will have to do what Marinelli did - and win a 50:50 position.
He does not have a dynamic offense, so he will never be the bonus point scorer that his other teammate are. But, it doesnt matter. He will continue to collect titles.
I'd love to see him vs Marsteller in the NCAA finals - power vs power. But, as above, I dont see Chance being able to score on Vincenzo. Would still love to see that matchup tho.
I agree with an above posted, that Isaiah White "could" beat him.. but it would have to be a 3-2 win with White getting the only TD (which I dont see happening).

Also @LemonPie you should really @ Nomad w/ this excellent work, since 40% of our lineup has a better TD rate than Myles. :D

Last edited:
Which visitor to this board was saying Cenzo lacked offense? LOL

Sorry Dar, but I found it, and was curious what you think. ;)

First off: to the person that did these stats, good job. I wish there was more data like this available for our sport.

Interesting data. Will be more interesting to see how that plays out with a higher sample size.

My point, in that original post about VJ, was that IMHO he is more of an impenetrable force than an offensive juggernaut. Against top opponents, he wins, more so, based on the fact that nobody can score on him. He simply cannot be taken down. IIRC, iMar did not score a takedown between the B1G finals and the NCAA finals.

Or, I could be completely wrong. I am a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT