ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Sixers Thread

Sixers played down to their opponents level last night. I hope all that watched the game saw that Kyle Korver is not a fix for the Sixers. Sixers just played some shitty defense last night. I think there is a missing piece to this team yet. I just don't know who or what they need.

Jimmy Butler does it again. Hits a 3 with a second left and the Sixers escape Brooklyn with a win 127-125. Would have been bad back to back loses. Butler with 34 tonight.

Reactions: jrs1024
What a come back last night!! Butler was money AGAIN! Embiid is just a force. Love this guy. Thank God a few teams skipped by him on draft day and we pounced at him.

Rumors in CLE about Cavs talking about a trade with 76ers for Fultz. JR Smith or Korver. Idea for the Cavs is to get him and cut him to clear cap space for down the road.

JR Smith....

F7664-A9-E-98-C8-4-A15-9-EBF-E4837-A2327-D7.gif

Reactions: LionJim
A strong no on that. Not with Smith's contract. Sixers would be crazy to take that on. I'd trade Fultz for a bag of balls to get him off the payroll.
I don't know what the deal with Fultz is but the NBA has rules about making salaries of trades be somewhat equal. They didn't want teams to trade a player because of money. I don't know the specifics but know the Cavs were very creative in getting guys that suddenly retired or went on the disabled list after being sent/acquired. There are weird rules about cap hits and reserve money. It may be that the 76ers just need to get rid of Fultz and are willing to take on a contract for a guy that will gracefully sit at the end of the bench.

As has been discussed, both Korver and Smith can light it up from the 3 when they are hot. Korver was known as "fourth korver" last year but is a liability on D. Smith has motivational issues but can be a great player when he wants to be, both offensively and defensively. But he needs a steady player to keep him going and that was LeBron with the Cavs.

I don't know what the deal with Fultz is but the NBA has rules about making salaries of trades be somewhat equal. They didn't want teams to trade a player because of money. I don't know the specifics but know the Cavs were very creative in getting guys that suddenly retired or went on the disabled list after being sent/acquired. There are weird rules about cap hits and reserve money. It may be that the 76ers just need to get rid of Fultz and are willing to take on a contract for a guy that will gracefully sit at the end of the bench.

As has been discussed, both Korver and Smith can light it up from the 3 when they are hot. Korver was known as "fourth korver" last year but is a liability on D. Smith has motivational issues but can be a great player when he wants to be, both offensively and defensively. But he needs a steady player to keep him going and that was LeBron with the Cavs.
I read something that the Cavs have already given up on Smith?

I read something that the Cavs have already given up on Smith?
Smith came out and publicly said that there was no place for him on this team because the team was taking it to get a good draft pick. That was the end, as he's had several scrapes with the team and mgt over the years. So, he's on the roster but not with the team. And, have to say, the Cavs then beat the Sixers and Rockets after blowing a big lead against LeBron and the Lakers. So they've played better without him.

Regardless, he's head case that has his good days. If you've got strong leadership, LIke the Cavs did with LeBron, he can be an asset. if not, just an ass.

Smith is paid $14.7MM this year and $15.6MM with only $3.8 guaranteed next year. They key is getting Fultz off the payroll in order to offer a 2nd max contract next year. I think Beal is a pipedream. Word is that the Wizzards are asking for huge assets in return for Beal.

One of the writers said the Sixers need to do a " slow play" on Fultz. Let things settle down and see if there are real ailments or if they can get something decent for him. It does appear all of his teammates like him and want him to succeed, but he has become a distraction.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Seems like it’s popping up everywhere now. Can’t wait to see all the possible rumors that start

I still think there is more value for him than 37 year old Kyle Korver. He's 20 freaking years old. If he played 35 minutes a night, strictly at point- the guy would still average 14-7-3 or something like that just on driving and short pull ups alone. He's strong and thick too. He's shown some glimpses. He's just not fitting with Simmons.

The Cavs appear to have traded Korver to the Jazz, for 2 future 2nd-round draft picks.

The Sixers could use an outside shooter, but they really need people that can defend. As such, Korver never made any sense (to me) as a trade target for the Sixers. I really doubt that the rumors of a trade were coming from the Sixers' side.

Nice win against a hapless Knicks team. On a another positive note, Zhaire Smith has started physical rehab and exercising. The feeling is, if he sees the court this season, it will be with the Blue Coats.

Current rumor has the suns interested in fultz. Possibly sending Ariza in return. He’s an expiring contract and a solid complementary 3 and D wing. Would fit well this year and allow the sixers to chase a big name next offseason.

I like the idea of getting rid of Fultz to sign another max deal. However, there is a nightmare scenario out there if they whiff again. Butler walks, they whiff on all the big names, and Kendall tells Ben to come in LA in 2021.

I like the idea of getting rid of Fultz to sign another max deal. However, there is a nightmare scenario out there if they whiff again. Butler walks, they whiff on all the big names, and Kendall tells Ben to come in LA in 2021.
You worry too much. ;)

Reactions: bmw199
Butler isn’t going anywhere. They won’t get KD or Klay though. I’d love to see them end up with Klay but I just don’t think we’re that lucky.

I saw an interesting trade possibility this AM. TJ Warren of the Phoenix Suns for Fultz. The Suns need a backup PG and Phoenix has Bridges, Josh Jackson, and Warren. Would rather have Warren than Ariza. Jackson was also mentioned as a trade possibility, but he is not setting the world on fire in Phoenix.

Hit the first tv timeout in the game tonight against Washington and wow...it’s like the sixers are just toying with the wiz. This team is getting a lot better by the day. On a side note, chandler might actually be the perfect fit at the four. A guy who just gets dirty all the time. Almost an enforcer. This is looking really strong right now.

I saw an interesting trade possibility this AM. TJ Warren of the Phoenix Suns for Fultz. The Suns need a backup PG and Phoenix has Bridges, Josh Jackson, and Warren. Would rather have Warren than Ariza. Jackson was also mentioned as a trade possibility, but he is not setting the world on fire in Phoenix.
I suppose I’m in the minority, but I’m completely cool with TJ as the backup point guard. He makes plays. He’s liked by the team. There’s a lot to like there. He’s not a defensive liability either.

If you could somehow get a shooter with the grit if Dennis Rodman at the 4, that would be ideal.

Sixers playing some good ball; 8 and 2 over the last 10 to go 17-8 overall.

Lineup has stabilized; Jimmy Butler is fitting in well with Simmons and others.

All true and the play of backups Muscala, McConnell, Shament, and Furkan K
has become quite good. It will be interesting to see if the Sixers make one more big trade to take it to the next level.

Their scoring is well balanced at the moment. Everyone contributing and not relying on one person to carry the load. They've actually played so much better with TJ. He's a hustler and player you have to love. I've been waiting for this type of Sixers ball since the process was announced and its finally here.

Sports Illustrated has the Sixers ranked #2 in their power rankings...

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/03/n..._campaign=thecrossover&utm_source=twitter.com

2. 76ers | Record Last Week: 3-0 | Previous Ranking: 3

Philadelphia’s defense saw a bit of regression following the Jimmy Butler trade. It makes sense when you look at how Robert Covington has improved Minnesota on that end. But as Butler gets more comfortable with his new team, you can see that the team defense has been improving a bit over the past few games. All of the 76ers’ opponents last week shot below 42% as Philly put together a perfect week.
butler2-e1543276986625.jpg

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Sports Illustrated has the Sixers ranked #2 in their power rankings...

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/03/n..._campaign=thecrossover&utm_source=twitter.com

2. 76ers | Record Last Week: 3-0 | Previous Ranking: 3

Philadelphia’s defense saw a bit of regression following the Jimmy Butler trade. It makes sense when you look at how Robert Covington has improved Minnesota on that end. But as Butler gets more comfortable with his new team, you can see that the team defense has been improving a bit over the past few games. All of the 76ers’ opponents last week shot below 42% as Philly put together a perfect week.
butler2-e1543276986625.jpg
They beat up on the Wizards and now a parade's being planned? Slow that roll, dudes.

They beat up on the Wizards and now a parade's being planned? Slow that roll, dudes.

Previous week they had them at #3.

They play at the Raptors on Wednesday. I don't think they have quite the bench to take over the top spot in the East. Hopefully see a trade in the next few months, or some more buyouts. Need a backup 5 in the worst way.

They play at the Raptors on Wednesday. I don't think they have quite the bench to take over the top spot in the East. Hopefully see a trade in the next few months, or some more buyouts. Need a backup 5 in the worst way.
Justin Patton may still play and he could be a nice fill in. Also hoping to see Zhaire Smith return after a stint in the G league soon. Bolton is possible later after his injury heals also. I suspect one more trade involving Fultz is going to happen. It’s time to move or at maybe send him to the G league for a rehab assignment until he figures it out. He needs minutes.

Last edited:
They have 3 star players; that's the basis for a championship level team

Need to fill some spots and gain some experience; is there anyone in the East who is clearly better?

Should have drafted Mitchell Robinson...

ADVERTISEMENT