ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Sixers Thread

Well that sucked...

For all the talk of Fultz starting and getting back, I’m confused by TJ saw so much time. Especially when Brad Stevens made it a point to get the ball to whoever he was guarding. It’s only game one so I’m not going to get to worked up but Brett Brown can do some very odd things, like a line up of TJ, Amir, Shamut, Fultz, and Saric.

Thank God it’s a long season.

Fultz is looking like a franchise buster pick.

As a matter of full disclosure, I’m not an NBA fan. I used to watch a little back in the Bird-Magic-Dr.J days, but not much anymore.
From my outside perspective, it sure seems like the Celtics snookered the Sixers in that Fultz-Tatum draft. And the deal may get worse when the green team eventually spends that draft pick. At least it is nice that both teams are back to being competitive again.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
As a matter of full disclosure, I’m not an NBA fan. I used to watch a little back in the Bird-Magic-Dr.J days, but not much anymore.
From my outside perspective, it sure seems like the Celtics snookered the Sixers in that Fultz-Tatum draft. And the deal may get worse when the green team eventually spends that draft pick. At least it is nice that both teams are back to being competitive again.
This is what happens when an owner abandons a long-term plan 6 months before it starts taking shape: Bryan Colangelo whom the annals of NBA history will remember for mediocrity, stupidity and this bad trade that ruined years of genius from Hinkie.

Reactions: jrs1024
This is what happens when an owner abandons a long-term plan 6 months before it starts taking shape: Bryan Colangelo whom the annals of NBA history will remember for mediocrity, stupidity and this bad trade that ruined years of genius from Hinkie.

Yup. Giving up a high first round pick to move up two stinking spots was really stupid. You gotta play Fultz at this point though. I don't want Mconnell to get so much time. The team is going nowhere with Shamet and him getting so much time. Come on Brett.....

I know its just the first game, and I want to be positive, but that was disappointing. The talent gap is a mile wide, and the Celtics have three first round picks coming in the 2019 NBA draft. Saric looked lost, Covington ice cold, and Fultz timid. On a positive note for Fultz, his mechanics did look greatly improved. Stating the obvious, the Celtics are clearly the best in the East.

Fultz looked rough last night. Tatum is the real deal. Covington couldn't hit $hit last night and Ben still having trouble with free throws. It's only one game but if this is a preview of what's to come it could be a long season.

Coangelo should have been canned for that pick ....
It’s the perfect example of the contrast in styles between Hinkie and Colangelo. Harris got impatient, pulled the plug and instilled an impatient GM in Colangelo. BC then undid years of carefully-laid plans in one swoop.

About the only thing that would reverse the Sixers-Celts dynamic right now would be the Sixers having Tatum and the Kings first pick next draft. That would give more hope.

Now they have to pray Fultz pans out and roll the dice on attracting a max free agent, who may not be interested.

It’s the perfect example of the contrast in styles between Hinkie and Colangelo. Harris got impatient, pulled the plug and instilled an impatient GM in Colangelo. BC then undid years of carefully-laid plans in one swoop.

About the only thing that would reverse the Sixers-Celts dynamic right now would be the Sixers having Tatum and the Kings first pick next draft. That would give more hope.

Now they have to pray Fultz pans out and roll the dice on attracting a max free agent, who may not be interested.

Im not so sure that was harris' plan, as much as it was what was dictated to him by the NBA

Reactions: Nitwit97
I just don't see Fultz panning out. He just looks lost aka Bennett the Cavs drafted a few years back number one. Is he even in the league?

If the Sixers don't make that trade, the Celtics might have still taken Tatum. The big loss here was the Kings pick. Hopefully, it ends up being the top pick next year so the Sixers can keep it. That's the only way the deal ends up not being one of the worst ever. Unless of course Fultz starts to live up to his draft position.

If the Sixers don't make that trade, the Celtics might have still taken Tatum. The big loss here was the Kings pick. Hopefully, it ends up being the top pick next year so the Sixers can keep it. That's the only way the deal ends up not being one of the worst ever. Unless of course Fultz starts to live up to his draft position.

This is exactly what Ainge was going to do. He was going to take Tatum all along #1. People get worked up about it but I really think the sixers would have wound up with Markelle no matter what. Lonzo would have still went to the Lakers. What stings is the pick.

Ainge was just smarter than Colangelo and was able to get the player he wanted AND a pick.

For everyone blasting Markelle after this game remember that his first game back last year he had a triple double. There’s something there...just hoping they can bring it out of him.

This is exactly what Ainge was going to do. He was going to take Tatum all along #1. People get worked up about it but I really think the sixers would have wound up with Markelle no matter what. Lonzo would have still went to the Lakers. What stings is the pick.

Ainge was just smarter than Colangelo and was able to get the player he wanted AND a pick.

For everyone blasting Markelle after this game remember that his first game back last year he had a triple double. There’s something there...just hoping they can bring it out of him.
I'm definitely not relegating Fultz to Anthony Bennett territory, but there's a tremendous perception that he needs to be "special" to justify Colangelo's dumb move. Just imagine if the Celtics did take Tatum #1 and the Sixers took Fultz at #3 and still had the Kings pick in the clear. This would feel much different and the pressure level of Fultz would be much lower.

Reactions: royboy
Anyone still think Fultz’s issues are fixed? 2 wide open looks and he doesn’t even think about pulling the trigger.

Anyone still think Fultz’s issues are fixed? 2 wide open looks and he doesn’t even think about pulling the trigger.

I don’t recall anyone claiming they were fixed. Improved, yes.

I seen instagram videos and tweets all summer from Fultz and his shooting coach to expect big things. To me that means he’s fixed. You don’t claim big things based on a broken shot being “improved”.

Those fouls shots he just took were a mess. Not very fluid.

Reddick needs to start. If Brown wants Fultz to gain confidence he needs to build it against second teamers, not starters. I wasn’t expecting 60% shooting but I was expecting a player who was hungry to prove something and attack the rim and take shots.

This is far from that.

On a side note...can we talk about Saric??

Last edited:
Maybe we should give the kid 25 games or so before drawing conclusions. He needs experience and confidence. No one is shooting well from 3 point land tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany Security
Maybe we should give the kid 25 games or so before drawing conclusions. He needs experience and confidence.

Totally agree!! I just want him to get it coming off the bench. I think starting puts a different kind of pressure on him.

Coming off the bench he can control the the ball and get shots against a second team D.

With Reddick starting you have a jump shot that helps Embiid in the post and you give Markelle the ability to get confidence in his game and his shot.

I want him to succeed so bad but feel like Brown is forcing it.

I seen instagram videos and tweets all summer from Fultz and his shooting coach to expect big things. To me that means he’s fixed. You don’t claim big things based on a broken shot being “improved”.

Those fouls shots he just took were a mess. Not very fluid.

Reddick needs to start. If Brown wants Fultz to gain confidence he needs to build it against second teamers, not starters. I wasn’t expecting 60% shooting but I was expecting a player who was hungry to prove something and attack the rim and take shots.

This is far from that.

On a side note...can we talk about Saric??

Saric looks like a different player this year... not in a good way..lol

Fultz with 12 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists. He was just 5-15 shooting but looked a little better tonight. The opposition is playing him loose around the 3 point line, but he did look more confident and in the flow of the game tonight. It’s a learning curve.

A couple points about he first two games:

1) Celtics are legit. There’s probably 7 guys on that roster that could make an all star game roster.

2) sixers are going to have a lot of trouble with he Celtics, but are otherwise so talented that I’d be stunned if they finished any worse than 3rd in the east. They should end up in the ECF because they have arguably the two best players in the eastern conference. At least two of the top 5. This is probably just a broader point that Simmons and embiid are super talented. Holy moly are they ever.

3) I saw someone bash shamet. That seems misguided. I think he actually looks really comfortable out there. He’s a plus on defense and his shot looks clean from 3. That was a nice pick.

4) the fultz experiment is probably not going to get much better. Even if he gets the confidence to take shots, he’s still not a plus defender or a plus on offense. It won’t take long until they go back to having redick start.

Reactions: WestSideLion
A couple points about he first two games:

1) Celtics are legit. There’s probably 7 guys on that roster that could make an all star game roster.

2) sixers are going to have a lot of trouble with he Celtics, but are otherwise so talented that I’d be stunned if they finished any worse than 3rd in the east. They should end up in the ECF because they have arguably the two best players in the eastern conference. At least two of the top 5. This is probably just a broader point that Simmons and embiid are super talented. Holy moly are they ever.

3) I saw someone bash shamet. That seems misguided. I think he actually looks really comfortable out there. He’s a plus on defense and his shot looks clean from 3. That was a nice pick.

4) the fultz experiment is probably not going to get much better. Even if he gets the confidence to take shots, he’s still not a plus defender or a plus on offense. It won’t take long until they go back to having redick start.
It’s just a tough situation vav Fultz. I hope folks are wrong about his development.

This Celtics Raptors game is fantastic basketball.

Khawhi is unreal.
I think the Raptors might be the best team in the East. Khawhi looks like he's back. The look athletic and deep. The Sixers better those two bench pieces back and hope they contribute. They waited too long for a "star" and didn't fix their holes.

Easy to see now, but the Sixers coulda/shoulda drafted Jayson Tatum.
Yup, but don’t forget the Celts has the 1st pick in 17. They only traded down to 3 after they were confident Fultz and Ball would be taken 1 and 2.

Okeafor was a real killer as the sixers could’ve taken Porzingas there.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Sixers up 64-61 at the half. Simmons out with back pain. Fultz is having his best game of the year. 9pts at the half, 4-5 from the field, including a three. Looks pretty fluid with the ball.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Redick hits a 3 with 5.6 seconds left to give the Sixers a lead. And he was fouled on the shot, so he had a +1, which he hit, to give the Sixers a 2-point lead, 132-130.

OMG, Griffin with a nice move to the basket, and hits the layup with 1.8 sec, and is fouled by Covington. He hits the FT, so the Pistons go up 133-132, with 1.8 seconds left. The Sixers call a TO, and will have to take a quick shot off the inbound. Embid received the inbound pass, was off balance when he took a 3, and missed it. Sixers fall to the Pistons, 133-132.

E02-C0039-5-E17-43-C9-BF8-D-EF75878-D27-D1.gif

going to OT.

Horrible coaching by Brown on Pistons last possession. Why bring in Amir Johnson to guard the ball with 5+ seconds left. He cannot guard anybody on the perimeter and of course the Pistons go right at him and score to win the game. Just stupid by Brown.

Reactions: Kmase21
Horrible coaching by Brown on Pistons last possession. Why bring in Amir Johnson to guard the ball with 5+ seconds left. He cannot guard anybody on the perimeter and of course the Pistons go right at him and score to win the game. Just stupid by Brown.
For as great a coach as Brown is supposed to be, I just don’t see it. He isn’t awful, but not the savant he was reputed to be after coming from San Antonio and wallowing with no talent for years. He strikes me as a “man manager” more than a tactician like Brad Stevens.

ADVERTISEMENT