ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Sixers Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
it should be a fun season. As noted, I locked the prior thread which was focused on the 2017-18 season, and continued after the season concluded. At this point, please shift all Sixers discussion to this thread.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ObeseDismalBats-size_restricted.gif

Barring injury, this will be the most fun season since the Dr. J era (that one Iverson season was painful to watch despite making the finals). This team plays a fun style of basketball to watch. The media keep focusing on three superstars -- Simmons, Embiid and Fultz -- but I think Saric is right there with them as a vital cog. He can shoot, pass, dribble, etc. and he is willing to do the dirty work as well. I can't wait to see this team in a few months when Fultz has much more game experience as a starter.

I think they are still short a shooter, unless Simmons can begin to knock down some jump shots. We shouldn’t expect too much from Fultz yet, and that leaves Reddick as the only reliable 3 point guy. Hopefully the two rookie first round picks can contribute, especially defensively, when Smith’s foot is healthy. But they should be a fun team to follow and they certainly have a lot of potential as long as Embid is healthy. His playing time shouldn’t be limited as it was last year.

I think they are still short a shooter, unless Simmons can begin to knock down some jump shots. We shouldn’t expect too much from Fultz yet, and that leaves Reddick as the only reliable 3 point guy. Hopefully the two rookie first round picks can contribute, especially defensively, when Smith’s foot is healthy. But they should be a fun team to follow and they certainly have a lot of potential as long as Embid is healthy. His playing time shouldn’t be limited as it was last year.

Saric was ~40% from 3, Cov 37.5%. The new guard Shamet has a sweet stroke as well.

Reactions: psuno1
We shouldn’t expect too much from Fultz yet, and that leaves Reddick as the only reliable 3 point guy.

Saric was ~40% from 3, Cov 37.5%. The new guard Shamet has a sweet stroke as well.

it is a challenge, no doubt, especially when contrasted with the way that the Celtics were draining things from outside in last year's playoff series.

The current plan is to have Simmons and Fultz start. That's good, but it means that your 3s would have to come from Embiid, Saric, or Covington. Both Embiid and Saric can hit the 3, but you'd rather they were closer to the basket for a low game, as well as for offensive rebounds. Covington's 3 is streaky. Saric is also a bit of a challenge if he plays too many minutes, as his defense (never all that good) deteriorates, and his long-range shot seems to deteriorate as well when he's tired. Roddick off the bench is instant offense, for the most part.

To improve this season, a lot depends on Fultz's play. Nobody expect him to drain them ala Steph. But if he can provide spacing due to other teams having to step out to defend his 3, that will really help. He's really good at driving and at dishing. If he has confidence in his 3, and makes a sufficient percentage of them, the Sixers will be a much better team than last year's version (assuming no major injuries).

it is a challenge, no doubt, especially when contrasted with the way that the Celtics were draining things from outside in last year's playoff series.

The current plan is to have Simmons and Fultz start. That's good, but it means that your 3s would have to come from Embiid, Saric, or Covington. Both Embiid and Saric can hit the 3, but you'd rather they were closer to the basket for a low game, as well as for offensive rebounds. Covington's 3 is streaky. Saric is also a bit of a challenge if he plays too many minutes, as his defense (never all that good) deteriorates, and his long-range shot seems to deteriorate as well when he's tired. Roddick off the bench is instant offense, for the most part.

To improve this season, a lot depends on Fultz's play. Nobody expect him to drain them ala Steph. But if he can provide spacing due to other teams having to step out to defend his 3, that will really help. He's really good at driving and at dishing. If he has confidence in his 3, and makes a sufficient percentage of them, the Sixers will be a much better team than last year's version (assuming no major injuries).

The Celtics killed the Sixers defense by
1) Keeping Horford out on the perimeter, hitting 3's and drawing Embiid away from the basket
2) Running pick and roll to get Redick or Bellinelli mismatched on a bigger player in the low block.

Brown talked about a new defense the Sixers are going to utilize to combat #1. I imagine it will involve some sort of zone or switching defense to keep Embiid near the basket.
And having Fultz play major minutes is going to decrease the defensive weaknesses we saw from JJ and Belli. He's 6-5 and long, he'll be fine.

There are different ways to skin a cat. Improve defensively is another way to get better.

Reactions: Delco Lion
Korkmaz can light it up as well, but can he defend anyone?

JJ was on fire 10 for 10 shooting. Shamet looking like a nice pick for the Sixers. He had a nice day as well. If we stay healthy Sixers could do some damage this season.

Watched the 76ers playing the Mavs this morning. Fultz is still struggling. Horrible passing, shots not falling and he fouled out of the game. I know its early but things aren't looking good for Fultz.

Here is to Fultz being the real deal, if he is the Sixers will be very good.

so exactly what is this article supposed to be telling me. Sounds like the Sixers are incredibly lowering expectations and that his shot went from so bad he would not take it to just plain not very good so he most likely won't take it. But he is a year older now and due to that and being around the guys he will play and be a quality athlete on the floor but still cannot shoot from distance. Not sure I have ever seen anything so crazy the first 18 months of somebodies NBA career as this.

so exactly what is this article supposed to be telling me. Sounds like the Sixers are incredibly lowering expectations and that his shot went from so bad he would not take it to just plain not very good so he most likely won't take it. But he is a year older now and due to that and being around the guys he will play and be a quality athlete on the floor but still cannot shoot from distance. Not sure I have ever seen anything so crazy the first 18 months of somebodies NBA career as this.

Just relax. He's a 2nd year guard who has about 15 games under his belt. People talk about Terry Rozier like he's an All Star and it took him until his third year before he did anything.

It starts tonight!! Remember back in the day when the Sixers and Celtic players literally hated each other?

Would love to see the return of that level of competition with the Celtics. Many years they played to go to the NBA Championship series. Some great players for the 76ers .... Can Fultz be a Celtic killer aka Andrew Toney

Would love to see the return of that level of competition with the Celtics. Many years they played to go to the NBA Championship series. Some great players for the 76ers .... Can Fultz be a Celtic killer aka Andrew Toney

I will be rooting for Fultz. Would be fantastic to see Shamet turn out to be an integral part of the Sixers future. With injuries, Bolden should get some early PT and have a great opportunity to show his stuff.

I will be rooting for Fultz. Would be fantastic to see Shamet turn out to be an integral part of the Sixers future. With injuries, Bolden should get some early PT and have a great opportunity to show his stuff.

I hope they all are good! I want another NBA championship in Philly! It has been far too long ....

So excited for this season to start. Curious to see if Embiid can be ready to go for 35-38 mins a game, if Ben has a serviceable midrange jumper, how the bench works with JJ anchoring it, and of course...Markelle.

The second the clock hit zero Saturday night and PSU lost I looked right at my son and said “Well...at least the sixers start on Tuesday”.

So excited for this season to start. Curious to see if Embiid can be ready to go for 35-38 mins a game, if Ben has a serviceable midrange jumper, how the bench works with JJ anchoring it, and of course...Markelle.

The second the clock hit zero Saturday night and PSU lost I looked right at my son and said “Well...at least the sixers start on Tuesday”.

wonder if Brown gives Embiid the Tim Duncan late in his career treatment. Essentially limiting his minutes somewhat during the regular season with the occasional game off on a west coast road trip to keep him healthy and 100% come playoff time. Would not be a bad idea considering his injury history. So instead of the 35-38 minutes per game, more around 28-30 per game.

If Embiid averages 35 mins a game and lasts the full season, he’ll lead the league in scoring and be mvp.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Sixers on TNT tonight. Reggie Miller blows as an announcer. Wow. I miss Marc Zumoff announcing tonight. he's my man for Sixers basketball. Sixers starting off a little rusty. Fultz still looking lost. Its early yet.

Reactions: jmorovich
The Sixers are going nowhere. The GM totally dropped the ball. Boston owns them. It's not even close. It will be a repeat of next year if they are lucky. Very disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT