ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class Thread

On national signing day, I'd like to thank Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich for everything they did to help keep this team and program together. If it wasn't for them, we would not have the successful day we are going tohave today.

So excited to see us sign a top 10-12 classtoday!!! Welcome aboard guys!!! WE ARE!!!

On national signing day, I'd like to thank Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich for everything they did to help keep this team and program together. If it wasn't for them, we would not have the successful day we are going tohave today.

So excited to see us sign a top 10-12 classtoday!!! Welcome aboard guys!!! WE ARE!!!

I definitely agree that we owe our thanks to all of the players who stayed with the program. That said I think PSU's incredible fan base is what held this program together. 95,000+ continued to travel long distances to watch a sanction riddled team that wasn't eligible for post season play. That wouldn't happen many other places.

Robert Martin looks like he is 14 with that mustache fuzz. Meanwhile Thorpe looks like he has been playing college ball for at least three years already.

Cordarrian Richardson just committed to UMD. They are now at 30 commits. Still room?

Probably!! ;-)
Running down their list, two things become clear (among others). 1) it's absurdly long. 2) UMD pulled a solid class together, depending on qualifiers.

Here's hoping Maryland will likely continue to be like NJ, extremely fertile in talent, but highly subject to being poached. Rutgers will likely remain an embarrassing add-on, at least competitively. But if Durkin can start to dominate THAT state, that'd really make things interesting for the B1G (east). I don't want to call them a sleeping giant (cuz they're not...), but imagine 5 solid teams in the same division. FUN. STUFF.

Probably!! ;-)
Running down their list, two things become clear (among others). 1) it's absurdly long. 2) UMD pulled a solid class together, depending on qualifiers.

Here's hoping Maryland will likely continue to be like NJ, extremely fertile in talent, but highly subject to being poached. Rutgers will likely remain an embarrassing add-on, at least competitively. But if Durkin can start to dominate THAT state, that'd really make things interesting for the B1G (east). I don't want to call them a sleeping giant (cuz they're not...), but imagine 5 solid teams in the same division. FUN. STUFF.

Well, just think if it had gone the way a lot of people thought it might go x years ago with Franklin getting the head job down there. If they get a dynamic coach, they could be legit given the talent pool for recruiting. If Coach James was there right now, they would be a handful. Maybe this guy is the right guy there now, but if they got a really high profile coach, they could do damage for sure.

Robert Martin looks like he is 14 with that mustache fuzz.

And the tattoo looks silly on someone who looks that young....with at least one captioned photo calling him Robbie.....
EDIT: of course, "Robbie" is also listed as 6'4", 275... soo I'm sure he'd look different up close and in person...

And yes, Thorpe looks about as young as OJ Mayo did as a freshman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the primacy bias.....
And I think this year's class is fine, really like it.....

But I would contend that not only is it not "BY FAR the best on paper"......I actually liked the 2015 class even more

And, already, 1/2 of that class - in just their TRSO or RSFR seasons have already made an impact on the field........that's pretty incredible, even given the relatively thin roster they were recruited into

Just a note about recruiting this year it seems like USC is closing the deal late on a number of recruits especially 5* recruits. End of season really helped them, they are beating out OSU for these guys as well. They have landed 2 5* recruits in the last 10 minutes. Next step up on the ladder for PSU.

Just a note about recruiting this year it seems like USC is closing the deal late on a number of recruits especially 5* recruits. End of season really helped them, they are beating out OSU for these guys as well. They have landed 2 5* recruits in the last 10 minutes. Next step up on the ladder for PSU.
No doubt the Trojans are back....but how much of an overlap is there with PSU and Southern Cal?

Some high profile guys can end up with offers from both schools, but it seems rare for both teams to be in the final 3 or 4 for a given prospect. Geography still matters.

Lehigh Valley Live had him listed as a Lafayette recruit as of yesterday. Guess he had a change of heart especially after Tavani was sacked.
Did you see him kick? His kickoffs were off the charts, his punting is real good, and I saw him easily hit a 47 yarder vs the Zephyrs.

Reactions: TheGLOV
No doubt the Trojans are back....but how much of an overlap is there with PSU and Southern Cal?

Some high profile guys can end up with offers from both schools, but it seems rare for both teams to be in the final 3 or 4 for a given prospect. Geography still matters.

Good question... been thinking and looking a little bit at this. Used to be almost none to zero overlap. Nowadays it's not uncommon to see a 5* recruit list bama/usc/oklahoma/osu as his final choices. I think the social media/internet has helped recruits get their game film out to coaches and many coaches travel great distances to visit recruits. Look at Franklin he is on planes trains and automobiles plus helicopters to visit recruits. With so many college games on tv now I think recruits are willing to go to school at much greater distances to find a good fit with a coaching staff and academics knowing many people can see the games on tv if they can't get there in person. I would expect this to only grow as well. Sure some will stay close to home because so family can see then play. But the number is growing and I expect it to continue. Just my thoughts ....

Good question... been thinking and looking a little bit at this. Used to be almost none to zero overlap. Nowadays it's not uncommon to see a 5* recruit list bama/usc/oklahoma/osu as his final choices. I think the social media/internet has helped recruits get their game film out to coaches and many coaches travel great distances to visit recruits. Look at Franklin he is on planes trains and automobiles plus helicopters to visit recruits. With so many college games on tv now I think recruits are willing to go to school at much greater distances to find a good fit with a coaching staff and academics knowing many people can see the games on tv if they can't get there in person. I would expect this to only grow as well. Sure some will stay close to home because so family can see then play. But the number is growing and I expect it to continue. Just my thoughts ....
Yeah, seems reasonable.

Looking at USC's 21 commits for the 2017 class:
10 from California, and most of the rest scattered through the West -- NV, OR, UT, AZ
1 from FL and 1 from TX

PSU is reaching out in the Southeast (there's room for success in the Carolinas and GA for sure), but not so much to the West (sometimes there might be a legacy kid who lives out West); if USC and Penn State are going to cross swords in recruiting, it might be some in FL and TX in the future.

Yeah, seems reasonable.

Looking at USC's 21 commits for the 2017 class:
10 from California, and most of the rest scattered through the West -- NV, OR, UT, AZ
1 from FL and 1 from TX

PSU is reaching out in the Southeast (there's room for success in the Carolinas and GA for sure), but not so much to the West (sometimes there might be a legacy kid who lives out West); if USC and Penn State are going to cross swords in recruiting, it might be some in FL and TX in the future.
Remember Broderick Green out of Arkansas -- I recall it as a battle between PSU, USC and the Hogs.

Reactions: LionJim and royboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT