ADVERTISEMENT

2017 PSU Women's VB Thread

Women's VB can have a special season in 2017. Lots of proven talent returns. The #6 preseason rank is a good spot to be.

There are 8 Big10 teams in the top 25. Conference schedule will be very tough and provides a lot of opportunity. Big10 teams are certainly battle tested come tournament time.

Can't beef about Texas at 1, Stanford at 2. Their point tallies would call them 1a and 1b.

It's going to be fun to watch.

B1G three of the top 5. That's the way it should be. Pac-10 isn't even close right now.

Don't want to start a separate thread for this, but another PSU women's sport is doing well.

Don't want to start a separate thread for this, but another PSU women's sport is doing well.

Quick cool story - driving home to VA on the turnpike from Philly I stop at a rest stop with my toddler and infant (driving solo - ugh!) and notice a charter bus parked out front. I then see a couple of attractive, athletic young women hanging out in front of the rest stop with Starbucks and notice they're in Penn State colors. Turns out it was the women's field hockey team - would have liked to say something to them but had my hands full.

I encourage you to start a new thread for FH. If you do so, it will be easier to update the respective sports as the season progresses.

2018 PSU recruits ranking by PrepVolleyball:
6-4 MB Ananda Phegley at #56
5-6 Lib Jenna Hampton at #31
5-9 Setter Gabby Blossom at #28
6-1 RS/Setter Jonni Parker at #14
Kailyn Hord and Serena Gray are in the top 10. One of them may be the #1 recruit and PSU should have the #1 rank class. 7 out of 8 recruits are ranked in the top 60.

Worth mentioning Texas trounced A&M in straight sets last night.

2018 PSU recruits ranking by PrepVolleyball:
6-4 MB Ananda Phegley at #56
5-6 Lib Jenna Hampton at #31
5-9 Setter Gabby Blossom at #28
6-1 RS/Setter Jonni Parker at #14
Kailyn Hord and Serena Gray are in the top 10. One of them may be the #1 recruit and PSU should have the #1 rank class. 7 out of 8 recruits are ranked in the top 60.
Which class was it from several years ago that some considered the best ever in the sport? Is that the current Senior class (Frantti, Washington, Lee, et al.)?

That #1 recruiting class is the current senior class. If I remember correctly they had something like the #1, 2, 5, 7 and 10 recruits in the class that year.

Reactions: TheGLOV
FWIW I saw the 2017 class rankings:
  1. Texas
  2. Wisconsin
  3. UCLA
  4. Minnesota
  5. Kentucky
  6. Nebraska
  7. Illinois
  8. Florida State
  9. Maryland
  10. Stanford

Interesting article in the Omaha World-Herald about the PSU - kNU match that takes place Friday evening at Rec Hall. You can access it at THIS LINK.

FWIW I saw the 2017 class rankings:
  1. Texas
  2. Wisconsin
  3. UCLA
  4. Minnesota
  5. Kentucky
  6. Nebraska
  7. Illinois
  8. Florida State
  9. Maryland
  10. Stanford

The current rankings have Minnesota and PSU 1 and 2. Maryland in the top ten? Stanford was pre-season #1.

Which class was it from several years ago that some considered the best ever in the sport? Is that the current Senior class (Frantti, Washington, Lee, et al.)?

The 2008 team is generally considered the best in NCAA history. 2008 was the second year of four consecutive national championships (2007-10). The 2008 team had four players who won Olympic medals and/or a World Championship gold medal. Those players also won numerous World Grand Prix medals and championships.

The 2009 team was also dominant and has to be considered one of the all-time best, despite the graduation of Harmotto and Fawcett in 2008.

The recruiting class that included Megan Hodge was considered the best class ever at the time....I remember reading in an article that it could be the best recruiting class ever regardless of the sport!

That had to be the team with Megan Hodge, Nicole Fawcett, Blair Brown, et. all. Undefeated for three years. Set the record for consecutive victories and shutout sets.
That's actually what prompted my question. I thought the widely praised class came in the middle or after that team's run. That 4 year run will likely be the pinnacle of PSU volleyball success forever, yet I thought the top rated recruiting class was the current senior class which hasn't experienced the same level of success. To be fair, I don't expect any class to achieve that, I was simply thinking through how the supposed #1 class ever stacked up after seeing their on the court results, particularly when compared to that legendary team.

For those following former Penn Staters, tough break for Megan Courtney. Get well soon!

Team has a lot of potential and other contenders have lost a lot of talent (Minny, Nebraska, Wiscy). Certainly think this team can win the B1G - they just have to get it together.

IF NE lost a lot talent, it did not look like it had last night. They whooped our sorry ass pretty bad. It was worse than the score indicated.

Women's VB can have a special season in 2017. Lots of proven talent returns. The #6 preseason rank is a good spot to be.

There are 8 Big10 teams in the top 25. Conference schedule will be very tough and provides a lot of opportunity. Big10 teams are certainly battle tested come tournament time.

Can't beef about Texas at 1, Stanford at 2. Their point tallies would call them 1a and 1b.

It's going to be fun to watch.

With the same players as last year, played like last year last night against a weak Nebraska team. Got our asses whooped big time. Scores do not indicated how badly we played.

Nebraska is a not a weak team at all, nor is PSU. But maybe people will understand now why you don't get too excited about early season rankings and results.

All these top teams are a work in progress and what matters is how good they can get by the end of November.

There are surprises every year. Nebraska recruits as well as anybody in the country so maybe they're going to be better than people expected. True freshman are often ready to play at the highest level in this sport.

PSU's obviously a good team, a top 10 team but there is typically very wide gap between a top 10 team and and the top 2 or 3. I don't think PSU will be one of those top 2-3, they just don't have enough front line offense or depth.

I didn't see the match but it may have been PSU had some bad matchups against the Huskers but will be in a position to do better against Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Reactions: MrDibbs
With the same players as last year, played like last year last night against a weak Nebraska team. Got our asses whooped big time. Scores do not indicated how badly we played.

After a bit of time to think, you are spot on with your assessment. What I saw Friday evening was kind of a microcosm of the 2016 season. In a different thread, I commented that Nebraska passed extremely well and PSU could not get a string of points in the match because of the NU teams ability to handle the PSU service. This was contrasted by Penn State's inability to pass well which put the setters at a decided disadvantage.

I put my faith in Russ Rose to address the problem -

Nebraska is a not a weak team at all, nor is PSU. But maybe people will understand now why you don't get too excited about early season rankings and results.

All these top teams are a work in progress and what matters is how good they can get by the end of November.

There are surprises every year. Nebraska recruits as well as anybody in the country so maybe they're going to be better than people expected. True freshman are often ready to play at the highest level in this sport.

PSU's obviously a good team, a top 10 team but there is typically very wide gap between a top 10 team and and the top 2 or 3. I don't think PSU will be one of those top 2-3, they just don't have enough front line offense or depth.

I didn't see the match but it may have been PSU had some bad matchups against the Huskers but will be in a position to do better against Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I saw the game. IT was bad. Talked to players on Saturday. It was bad loss.

ADVERTISEMENT