Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Wrestling starts at 8 pm EDT.

TV - ESPN

Video Stream - ESPN3

Audio Stream - Byers will be streamed for free at this link:

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=550917

GoPSUnow indicates that the audio stream will start at 7:40 pm EDT

These are the championship bouts. Only one mat will be set up at the arena. They are starting at 197, and will finish with 184. As such, no PSUers will be wrestling in the first 5 matches, and then there will be a PSUer wrestling in each of the last 5 matches.

PSU has locked up the team championship before the start of the finals. If I recall correctly, they have in past years ended ESPN coverage during the team celebration after the trophy is awarded, but it has been shown on the video stream, or on another ESPN channel.

As in each of the previous Sessions, please keep all comments about the matches, PSU wrestlers, non-PSU wrestlers, TV coverage, Byers' comments, etc. in this thread.

PSUers will be favored in some of their bouts, and will be underdogs in others. Win or lose, let's keep in mind that we won the team trophy, and the respective PSU wrestler came in either 1st or 2nd. In short, let's have some fun tonight.

Lastly, as has been the custom in past years, I will not do PBP in the Championship matches. While I'm likely to post during the finals, I want to sit back and enjoy the matches, and not be struggling to key in what is taking place on the mat.

Mizzou guys are complete unknowns to me. Although they are up against 2 of probably the best 5 wrestlers in the sport....
All I know about Mayes from chatter on themat.com is that they've been expecting this out of him. He did finish 3rd last year.

Reactions: lionlover
Too bad there's not a Carton vs Pletcher match tonight to spice things up.

I know it was in the other thread. And I totally missed it other than some guys keep making fun. So what did I miss? Was the original post by our Village Idiot or someone else I have on Ignore?

Outside of being a homer for PSU, the wrestler that really impressed me last night was Gross from South Dakota St. He will take the action to Clark more than Tomisello did. Gross is big and tall . I'll take Gross.

I agree but Zain's opponent is good. It would be a surprise if he were to lose but that guy is a very good wrestler. Very strong and has good technique.
Mayes has pinned Collica in the past. He is a worthy opponent. It just looks like Zain is firing on all cylinders right now. Nobody is unbeatable though.

Reactions: bwifan
I think we either go 2-3 or 3-2. Cenzo has gotten better, but I think being on the stage for the first time will get to him and Martinez will take advantage. Retherford and Nolf I'm confident in saying that they will get their second and first Individual National Championships tonight. My road up is Mark Hall vs Bo. That one could go either way. I think Dean will get his 3rd title over Nickal.

He won't use it as an excuse, but he is definitely fighting through cold/flu type symptoms. He was hacking away during the interview. What a dog!(small pun intended).

I loved his response about being a small 174 wrestler: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!" (One of my favorite sayings!).

I think we either go 2-3 or 3-2. Cenzo has gotten better, but I think being on the stage for the first time will get to him and Martinez will take advantage. Retherford and Nolf I'm confident in saying that they will get their second and first Individual National Championships tonight. My road up is Mark Hall vs Bo. That one could go either way. I think Dean will get his 3rd title over Nickal.

The good thing is all PSU wrestlers are hot heading into the finals. Hall and VJ normally might say they would be surprise winners but they are both wrestling very well right now and their confidence is sky high. Really looking forward to tonight's matches.

Hard not to like this kid. Great Champion. I am hopeful that Bo doesn't pin him in the first period and let's him wrestle a few periods before the match ends. ;)

My gut tells me we win the first 2, then lose the last 3. VJ can win if he can just convert a TD or two. Imar is just so good and solid. I see a controlled win for Imar. Hall can definitely win, but man Bo is going to be huuuuge tonight. Mark gotta build an early lead, wrestle smart, and not gas at the end.

Just wanna see Bo stick Dean!!! But I see Dean winning a close decision with his strength, experience, and stamina.

Zain-95%
Nolf-99%
Cenzo-5%
Hall-40%
Bo-45%

I agree and maybe oddly feel the same about Hall.
While I like Hall's chances, I am not going to be knocked uncon
My gut tells me we win the first 2, then lose the last 3. VJ can win if he can just convert a TD or two. Imar is just so good and solid. I see a controlled win for Imar. Hall can definitely win, but man Bo is going to be huuuuge tonight. Mark gotta build an early lead, wrestle smart, and not gas at the end.

Just wanna see Bo stick Dean!!! But I see Dean winning a close decision with his strength, experience, and stamina.

Zain-95%
Nolf-99%
Cenzo-5%
Hall-40%
Bo-45%
Well done.

Reactions: James Toney
ADVERTISEMENT