ADVERTISEMENT

2017 class arriving.....

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
Finally distanced from the sanctions...some players may actually get a chance to grow as frosh and not be rushed out there. Very few have to play on a team that is preseason to 10 which allows the young guns to actually develop.

QB Clifford - Year of recovery and film room...get poised to grab the wheel in 1-2 years.
RB Brown - Crazy, but he could be a freak KO returner, but I think they give him a shirt to add some mass and learn the game.
WR Hamler - Recovery year with the knee...no need to rush him back.
WR Hippenhammer - Shirt to add some mass, could start making an impact next year.
WR Sullivan Brown - Shirt, no need to rush WR's with what is up there.
OL Miranda - possibly getting in the two deep as a true frosh. Mauler...great pickup. I imagine they try to shirt him unless he is simply that good and stays in the two deep.
OL Martin - Year or two in the weightroom, shirt for sure.
OL Thorpe - size and strength there, but unlike Miranda who enrolled early he will be playing catch up. Shirt more than likely.
OL Holmes - Big Body who needs a year or two in the S&C to be ready.
DT Hansard - Big big DT, but a spot where PSU is deep this year. Shirt more than likely.
DT Bolds - Sounds like he made his marks...same as Hansard...shirt.
DE Matos - Big, athletic, fast DE..but a shirt to get stronger and bigger. Possibly a sleeper to green light though IMO.
DE Barber - I think a shirt for sure unless DE has some injuries.
LB BFW - shirt more than likely unless last years issues at LB pop up again this year.
LB Brooks - Same as BFW...shirt.
LB Franklin - Shirt, get bigger, and learn the position.
CB Wade - Special teams, nickel, and my pick to earn a starting spot by week 5-6.
CB Castro Fields - shirt more than likely, but with Reid already down...you never know.
CB D Johnson - super fast, but need to add some mass. shirt unless injuries are issue at CB
CB DJ Brown - sleeper pick at CB to become a player in 2-3 years IMO. shirt
S Sunderland - thumper but a shirt more than likely. 4-5 ahead of him IMO already.

Last edited:
good rundown; can't argue much with redshirt predictions....just seems strange that only 1 or 2 true frosh will play

injuries could change that, but it's a sign of good health for the program overall
Brooks is another guy I was on the fence about as they may want to get him snaps this year with nobody there next year. He has the size, so maybe he sees some time behind Smith and Cabinda.

Reactions: 83wuzme and bmw199
Finally distanced from the sanctions...some players may actually get a chance to grow as frosh and not be rushed out there. Very few have to play on a team that is preseason to 10 which allows the young guns to actually develop.

QB Clifford - Year of recovery and film room...get poised to grab the wheel in 1-2 years.
RB Brown - Crazy, but he could be a freak KO returner, but I think they give him a shirt to add some mass and learn the game.
WR Hippenhammer - Shirt to add some mass, could start making an impact next year.
WR Sullivan Brown - Shirt, no need to rush WR's with what is up there.
OL Miranda - possibly getting in the two deep as a true frosh. Mauler...great pickup. I imagine they try to shirt him unless he is simply that good and stays in the two deep.
OL Martin - Year or two in the weightroom, shirt for sure.
OL Thorpe - size and strength there, but unlike Miranda who enrolled early he will be playing catch up. Shirt more than likely.
OL Holmes - Big Body who needs a year or two in the S&C to be ready.
DT Hansard - Big big DT, but a spot where PSU is deep this year. Shirt more than likely.
DT Bolds - Sounds like he made his marks...same as Hansard...shirt.
DE Matos - Big, athletic, fast DE..but a shirt to get stronger and bigger. Possibly a sleeper to green light though IMO.
DE Barber - I think a shirt for sure unless DE has some injuries.
LB BFW - shirt more than likely unless last years issues at LB pop up again this year.
LB Brooks - Same as BFW...shirt.
LB Franklin - Shirt, get bigger, and learn the position.
CB Wade - Special teams, nickel, and my pick to earn a starting spot by week 5-6.
CB Castro Fields - shirt more than likely, but with Reid already down...you never know.
CB D Johnson - super fast, but need to add some mass. shirt unless injuries are issue at CB
CB DJ Brown - sleeper pick at CB to become a player in 2-3 years IMO. shirt
S Sunderland - thumper but a shirt more than likely. 4-5 ahead of him IMO already.

I think we could possibly see Brown as a Kick Returner and ST terror and Miranda play.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I think you missed Hamler. Recovering from ACL last August, so probably needs more time to get to full strength, but if he does, wonder if he could be in the mix for PR.

With us losing 2 WRs (maybe 3) after this year, it wouldn't surprise me if they play at least one freshman receiver.

While Hippenhammer and Hamler are strictly return guys, Sullivan Brown is a vicious tackler and could help you in multiple areas on special teams.

So keep an eye out for CSB if they want to beef up the special teams with another athlete.

I'd love to see Journey Brown play this year but it's a yuuuge jump going from D10 to Big Ten. I think in general that it's okay to play RBs as true freshman. If they are remotely good, they won't be there 5 years and the year to year growth isn't the same as you get with other positions.

I think definitely 1, and at least 2 of the LBs see the field.
Wasn't one of the LBs an EE?
Faison-Walden enrolled early, but he probably had the most growing to do of the bunch.

Overall, though, it's a great spot to be in - Lamont is probably the only sure fire green light right now, but if one of the 2017 kids comes into camp and takes someone else's job or playing time, that's just a bonus. Injuries are going to happen (and I think the staff might burn Faison-Walden before Brooks just because he's been here if we run into problems at LB) so I would expect somewhere around 4 freshmen to play - Wade and probably three or four others end up getting run for one reason or another. If I were to guess, I'll go with Faison-Walden, Castro-Fields, Brown (special teams), and Hamler (WR tends to see kids get banged up).

When was the last time a true freshman started at CB?

Barber up to 265 now. Like you, I'd bet on a RS, but then a move to DT like Givens or Jordan Hill.
Sullivan - Brown is a gamer. I think he is the most ready, physically, of the incoming receivers.

Barber up to 265 now. Like you, I'd bet on a RS, but then a move to DT like Givens or Jordan Hill.
Sullivan - Brown is a gamer. I think he is the most ready, physically, of the incoming receivers.

We've got Blacknall, Hamilton, Thompkins, Charles, Johnson, Polk, and Gesicki to throw the ball to. I don't see many opportunities for a freshman.

When was the last time a true freshman started at CB?

Rare but it does happen. Wade might be that special player who has a pretty full understanding of college football already and is willing to put in the time in the film room scouting the opposition. Reid was able to play as a true freshman because he was a film guy with super football IQ.

Rare but it does happen. Wade might be that special player who has a pretty full understanding of college football already and is willing to put in the time in the film room scouting the opposition. Reid was able to play as a true freshman because he was a film guy with super football IQ.
He is also physically much stronger and thicker than most frosh DB's.

CSB is my sleeper re
CSB is my sleeper recruit in this class. Just watch the tape. Sure, he can't run like Hamler, but it's hard to teach a guy a knack for coming down with 50/50 balls. I see a competitor.

We've got Blacknall, Hamilton, Thompkins, Charles, Johnson, Polk, and Gesicki to throw the ball to. I don't see many opportunities for a freshman.
But Godwin is gone. For a while, it looked like Thompkins was going to be the #3 guy. Then he got dinged in the tOSU game and didn't really seem to get it back. Johnson seemingly has the inside track, but I don't think there is a clear #3 right now. Of course, CSB is at a disadvantage when it comes to the playbook.
I'll say I would not be totally surprised if CSB doesn't RS this fall, especially if somebody gets injured.

Brooks is another guy I was on the fence about as they may want to get him snaps this year with nobody there next year. He has the size, so maybe he sees some time behind Smith and Cabinda.
Yes, might need Brooks in there. Maybe be the 4th or 5th game, he should have a pretty decent idea how to play the middle in Division 1 football.
Gotta add.............we NEED to see something from Jake Cooper this year!

With last season’s success, it’s very easy to forget that this team was a year ahead of schedule. We’re about to see what CJF and company can do without having an arm tied behind their backs. So far, the job they have done isn’t just good- it’s phenomenal.

What a difference numbers make. I believe Troy Reeder was the only incoming true LB afforded the luxury to RS since 2012. Wartman played the first two games of 2012 before being injured at UVA and redshirting. It's actually nice to have a choice.

The one thing we have lacked forever is a real threat at the punt return position - I think we have more than a few kids that can change that - we finally have Pitt speed which is not to be confused with the slow as mud SEC speed.

ADVERTISEMENT