ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching sixers vs Celtics. Good game. Sixers hanging in the into the 4th. But one thing is clear: this team can’t handle being on the floor without embiid and Simmons. One is okay. Both off the court is awful.

Celts are formidable; Markelle Fultz will have to go far to be a better player than the #3 pick of the draft, Jayson Tatum. Tatum is starting, scoring about 14 pts/game, and shooting 47% from 3-point and 85% from the FT line. He's a shooter/scorer who would have fit in well with this Sixers team.

Celts are formidable; Markelle Fultz will have to go far to be a better player than the #3 pick of the draft, Jayson Tatum. Tatum is starting, scoring about 14 pts/game, and shooting 47% from 3-point and 85% from the FT line. He's a shooter/scorer who would have fit in well with this Sixers team.
Man that’s depressing. I was the president of the fultz fan club, but they really need to hope he turns out. My sense is that he should just take his redshirt this year and come back like Simmons next year. It’s clearly too much to ask, but might as well ask for something. They’re a key scorer away from contention.

Man that’s depressing. I was the president of the fultz fan club, but they really need to hope he turns out. My sense is that he should just take his redshirt this year and come back like Simmons next year. It’s clearly too much to ask, but might as well ask for something. They’re a key scorer away from contention.
To be clear, yes I’d take lebron. Win a chip.

Impressive as they are, Tatum's numbers don't do him justice. The kid has special written all over him. Wow, what a player.

Reactions: royboy
That Tatum thing is a bit depressing, but you can also completely understand why they wanted to take their shot at an all-star PG rather than a SF.

Current Celtics have no answer to even slow Embiid down. They need a big with some muscle. Ainge is a hevkuva GM. Tatum looks great . Given Hayward's injury, hard to believe they are 19-4

Current Celtics have no answer to even slow Embiid down. They need a big with some muscle. Ainge is a hevkuva GM. Tatum looks great . Given Hayward's injury, hard to believe they are 19-4

I don't think the Celtics can handle Embiid in the half-court O. That said, the Celtic O is pretty fast paced. I was hoping Embiid would play against the Celtics the other night, to see if the Celtics' pace would wear him out, or his size and offensive game would give the Celtics problems. It would have been an interesting chess match.

Ainge was one of my all-time least favorite NBA players. However, I have to give him credit for his performance as a GM. I said last spring, and I still believe, that the Sixers gave up too much to move up to the #1 pick in the 2017 draft.

Tatum does look very good on the Celtics.

I expected the Celtics to be in the top tier of the East, but I did not expect their record to anything close to 19-4, especially with Hayward out of the lineup.

Sixers/Celts could be an example where Celts are better over 82. But, Sixers match-up better head to head in a best of 7. Andre Drummond really bullied Celts Monday. I really wanted to see if they could adjust and try to keep Embiid from going off. I'm sure we'll have plenty of future matchups.

For those heading to the Fiesta Bowl, The Sixers are in Phoenix on New Year's Eve. That sounds like a nice little bonus after the bowl win.

looks as though the Sixers are close to sending Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a 2nd round pick in 2019 to the Nets for Trevor Brooker.

Brooker is 6'8", listed as a Power Forward, just turned 30, currently averaging 10 pts and 6.6 rebs/game

all true. I think the bigger plus for him, from the Sixers perspective, is that he's in the last year of his contract. As such, he comes off the books after this season.

It would appear that the Sixers had to overpay in order to get Okafor off of their roster.

C'mon Sixers! Beat LA!! #2-5

tsk, tsk, tsk

you just want the Lakers pick, which we traded to you to move up last year, to fall between 2 thru 5 in the 2018 draft.

whatever helps get that pick to #1, or to #6 or higher, is what I want. ;)

this note from ESPN:

As for Markelle Fultz's hurt shoulder, Bryan Colangelo says the "soreness is gone, the muscle imbalance is gone." Team expects a full medical update on him Friday. There still is no timeline, Colangelo said, echoing coach Brett Brown, but "the end is near." Sixers encouraged by Fultz's progress. He's primarily been going through physical therapy and strength/conditioning work.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0730588043068577395-4

Good...because this team is enraging to watch right now. Their turnovers are not only killing them, but are so bad and unforced that they need something to help them out.

This team is both fun to watch and completely frustrating to watch at the same time.

That last 30 seconds of the 3rd quarter was brutal...

This team is both fun to watch and completely frustrating to watch at the same time.

Entertaining 4th quarter. Sixers with 2 turnover late in the game, but got the tie, and actually had the shot to take the lead. Alas, they missed that, so the Lakers played for the last shot. The Sixers played pretty good D for a lot of the play, and then for some reason left Ingram wide open behind the 3-line and he drained a 3 with 0.8 seconds left. The Sixers got a shot off the inbound, but it wasn't even close, so the Lakers with the win, by 3 points.

Too bad, Magoo. ;)

Ugh, I stayed up late to watch the Sixers @ Portland. The Sixers had a great 3rd quarter, and were up 18 points. They then fell apart, and with 3 minutes left they are down by 10. The Sixers were 2-13 in the 4th quarter, before Redick just hit a 3.

And just like that, the Sixers hit back-to-back 3s, and cut the lead to 4 points. That's followed by 2 free throws and a made basket (after a terrible shot by Embiid) by the Trailblazers, to fall back 8 points.

Embiid has really been frustrating in this game. His offensive moves when going to the basket are too predictable.

And now a turnover by Simmons, and this game is pretty much over. Then a 3 by Embiid, followed by a turnover by the Trailblazers, give the Sixers the ball with 15.4 sec left, and the Sixers down by 4. Then Simmons with a bad throw-in pass which Portland steals, so Redick has to foul. 109-105, with 13.4 sec left.

Final, 114-110, Portland

Too many ugly things in the game for the Sixers in the 4th quarter.

Ugh, I stayed up late to watch the Sixers @ Portland. The Sixers had a great 3rd quarter, and were up 18 points. They then fell apart, and with 3 minutes left they are down by 10. The Sixers were 2-13 in the 4th quarter, before Redick just hit a 3.

And just like that, the Sixers hit back-to-back 3s, and cut the lead to 4 points. That's followed by 2 free throws and a made basket (after a terrible shot by Embiid) by the Trailblazers, to fall back 8 points.

Embiid has really been frustrating in this game. His offensive moves when going to the basket are too predictable.

And now a turnover by Simmons, and this game is pretty much over. Then a 3 by Embiid, followed by a turnover by the Trailblazers, give the Sixers the ball with 15.4 sec left, and the Sixers down by 4. Then Simmons with a bad throw-in pass which Portland steals, so Redick has to foul. 109-105, with 13.4 sec left.

Final, 114-110, Portland

Too many ugly things in the game for the Sixers in the 4th quarter.

They just aren't deep enough. I've never seen a team blow so many nice leads. The offense tends to be too much of throwing in to Embiid and letting him go one on one.

And this Fultz thing is turning into a joke.

They just aren't deep enough. I've never seen a team blow so many nice leads. The offense tends to be too much of throwing in to Embiid and letting him go one on one.

And this Fultz thing is turning into a joke

He injured his shoulder. How is it a joke?

I am starting to believe it might be time to look for another coach. Brett isn't getting it done. How many times this year has Philly blown a sizeable lead going into the last quarter and Brett doesn't have an answer to stop the bleeding. A new leader might be what the 76ers need.

Shooting form is off from what it was in college. Starting to wonder if this is something mental. I hope not . He might turn out to be a 1st pick bust.

I think he already is a bust. He may not see meaningful minutes all year, if any at all. He needs to be playing for the Delaware 87ers, not doing workouts with the 6ers. I think they’re afraid to showcase him. Next we will hear that they’re shutting him down for the season.

Another blown lead today but they held on at the end and scored the last 7 points against the Raptors for the win. They are back to 500. This team has so much potential but their turnovers are killing them. Some of it is just that they push the ball very aggressively, and some is just learning how to play better with the lead.

Has anyone seen the videos of Fultz shooting in practice? I don't know what's going on there, but it's not looking good. It's not just that his shot looks bad now, but it looks so different than what it was in college. Has to be rough on the kid.

If the Sixers get the Lakers pick at #6, could see them drafting Trae Young. Would be a nobrainer.
For what it's worth, most mock drafts have Trae Young going in the top 2 or 3 picks. I've seen Jaren Jackson from Michigan State and Luka Doncic (6'8" from Slovenia) around the #6 pick.

Has anyone seen the videos of Fultz shooting in practice? I don't know what's going on there, but it's not looking good. It's not just that his shot looks bad now, but it looks so different than what it was in college. Has to be rough on the kid.
To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if it is intentional. Like did his agent convince him that taking a fall for the sixers would allow him to be a PG somewhere else?

There's just no reason for this at all. It's not a strange or precise motion for the body to attempt. Golf swings can get ruined like Charles Barkley, but there's absolutely no reason to just completely lose a jumpshot. Between when i recently started playing and probably about 7 years ago, I hadn't played basketball once. I shoot with almost identical form today as I did when I was in high school. This is truly the most absurd sports bust I've ever seen.

Reactions: LionJim
For what it's worth, most mock drafts have Trae Young going in the top 2 or 3 picks. I've seen Jaren Jackson from Michigan State and Luka Doncic (6'8" from Slovenia) around the #6 pick.

Maybe not after last night.....Young had 12 turnovers in a disaster vs K-State!

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if it is intentional. Like did his agent convince him that taking a fall for the sixers would allow him to be a PG somewhere else?

There's just no reason for this at all. It's not a strange or precise motion for the body to attempt. Golf swings can get ruined like Charles Barkley, but there's absolutely no reason to just completely lose a jumpshot. Between when i recently started playing and probably about 7 years ago, I hadn't played basketball once. I shoot with almost identical form today as I did when I was in high school. This is truly the most absurd sports bust I've ever seen.

Yeah, 3 months into Fultz's career and he's a bust.

Funny, I heard lots of geniuses saying the same thing about Embiid. He's about to be named to the All Star team.

Reactions: bwifan
I'm not saying he's a bust, but did you see the video of the practice? The problems with his shot aside (and they looked significant), he looked lost, totally without confidence. Not a good look. This is something I've never seen before, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT