ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at the tea leaves and I'm not getting a great feeling that Lebron is Philly bound and maybe thats not such a bad thing. I also think getting Paul George is a long shot.

Word today is Leonard is not interested in going back to San Antonio. Various articles and pundits over the past week said the Sixers might be able to get him for the #10, Fultz and Covington. Would hate to see Saric go. Of course, would want Leonard to agree to sign a multi year deal with the Sixers.

I think the Sixers also have the assets for a trade for CJ McCollum. Maybe the #26 pick and one of the young bench players and a second round pick of two.

Unless Will Barton comes to the Sixers as a FA, I'm not sure there is anyone else the Sixers are going to pick up that will make a big splash. Tyreke Evans could help, but not sure he is the solution.

Thoughts??
I think Leonard is LA bound with George, Or to Boston for Kyrie. Still think LeBron to Philly makes the most sense for him. McCollum would be a good add or you could just add the #10 and #26 to the team, resign Reddick for way less, and continue to build.

The move for Philly would be #10, Fultz, and Cov for Leonard with a handshake agreement to resign. Then Bayless and #26 to someone with cap space and sign LeBron. Rollout Simons, LeBron, Leonard, Saric, Embiid. Good luck stopping that. Although, I don't think that is likely to happen.

I think Leonard is LA bound with George, Or to Boston for Kyrie. Still think LeBron to Philly makes the most sense for him. McCollum would be a good add or you could just add the #10 and #26 to the team, resign Reddick for way less, and continue to build.

The move for Philly would be #10, Fultz, and Cov for Leonard with a handshake agreement to resign. Then Bayless and #26 to someone with cap space and sign LeBron. Rollout Simons, LeBron, Leonard, Saric, Embiid. Good luck stopping that. Although, I don't think that is likely to happen.
I don’t see the basketball draw to LA right now. That team needs so much to go right just to become a playoff threat, let alone able to compete with Golden State.

You can argue that even with Lebron, Kwahi and George, they’re not in the top 2 teams out west. Think about that.

I can not see the Spurs trading Leonard to anyone in the West. It would be like conceding any chance of winning a championship. At Popovich’s age he would never want to be the coach of a rebuilding team.

Reactions: jmorovich
I can not see the Spurs trading Leonard to anyone in the West. It would be like conceding any chance of winning a championship. At Popovich’s age he would never want to be the coach of a rebuilding team.

I’m pretty sure I read a quote similar to this earlier in the season that said if they had to trade him it wouldn’t be to a western conference team.

The problem they have is, if he says “cool...trade me east. I won’t agree to sign any contract and will go to free agency” there’s not a team in their right mind that would part with assets with that agreement from Khawi. Players have all the power now. So...if your the spurs you either hope you can fix the relationship or you trade him to the Lakers and get what you can.

Looks like maybe the Lakers were telling Kuzma and Ball to knock the childish $hit off to make them more attractive to Pop rather than Lebron.

Gonna be a fun summer.

Also reading multiple reports that the Sixers want to move up in the draft and both Memphis and Atlanta are listening to offers to move down. Regarding Pop and comments about not trading assets to teams in the West, he did say that.

Reactions: bmw199
I heard LeBron was shopping schools in the Akron area last week. He told some people that he'd like his son to play at St. Mary St. Vincent where he went to school. At age 13, his son is dunking on a ten foot rim.

I don't know if this portends where James will end up, but I think it is more and more likely he stays in CLE. People I talk to say it is CLE or, perhaps LA if LA can swing a super team in the off season (including getting Leonard from San Antonio). James feels that there is no team that can beat GSW in the east with or without James. Young teams may mature, but at age 34, James may not be around when that happens.

I heard LeBron was shopping schools in the Akron area last week. He told some people that he'd like his son to play at St. Mary St. Vincent where he went to school. At age 13, his son is dunking on a ten foot rim.

I don't know if this portends where James will end up, but I think it is more and more likely he stays in CLE. People I talk to say it is CLE or, perhaps LA if LA can swing a super team in the off season (including getting Leonard from San Antonio). James feels that there is no team that can beat GSW in the east with or without James. Young teams may mature, but at age 34, James may not be around when that happens.

denial .... it aint just a river in Egypt! ;)

Interesting night. Must have been heartbreaking for the Bridges. Watched Brown's press conference and he said more than once how valuable the 2021 is as a trade chip. Most writers are saying this as well and it will be used for Leonard. The feeling is that in 2021 high schoolers will be allowed to go right to the NBA.

If the trade for Leonard it will set them back years. The guy wants to go to LA so he won't re-up. Plus he's a headcase. No thanks.

denial .... it aint just a river in Egypt! ;)
Maybe...last night I was told LA. That the key is if LA can get Leonard. If they can work a trade for Leonard, James will FA to LA. I was told that, for whatever reason, James doesn't like Philly.

If the trade for Leonard it will set them back years. The guy wants to go to LA so he won't re-up. Plus he's a headcase. No thanks.

Brown and Leonard have a close relationship. If he is a headcase, Brown would know. I cant imagine any sort of trade where its only a one year deal for Leonard. There would have to be an understanding that Leonard would sign a large multi year contract. FYI, there are multiple reports that in recent days the Spurs have pretty much refused to talk with the Lakers about a trade. Certainly sounds like the Lebron ship has sailed, and that could be a good thing.

Reactions: bmw199
The Sixers were considering yesterday trading Fultz, 10, and 26 to move up to take Porter. Now, you never would have known what was going to happen, but that is just amazing. They obviously had concerns creep in but you have to shake your head.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The Sixers were considering yesterday trading Fultz, 10, and 26 to move up to take Porter. Now, you never would have known what was going to happen, but that is just amazing. They obviously had concerns creep in but you have to shake your head.

I don't think they were still considering that yesterday. I think that was a consideration prior to the latest injury concerns. I don't think they found out anything new yesterday, so if they wanted Porter, they would have taken him with the 10th pick. I'm glad that Saric was not on the table at all. I think he's going to be really good.

I don't think they were still considering that yesterday. I think that was a consideration prior to the latest injury concerns. I don't think they found out anything new yesterday, so if they wanted Porter, they would have taken him with the 10th pick. I'm glad that Saric was not on the table at all. I think he's going to be really good.

OK, the one article I read didn’t make reference to the timing and made it seem like it was yesterday. I guess that makes sense since Porter’s team then put out more details knowing that he was slipping.

This sounds like a Leonard push.

Cj3dER-ZmRe3kjqBj8TWPWiDPBgRYIEKa8zHzp_JlqI.jpg

Interesting night. Must have been heartbreaking for the Bridges. Watched Brown's press conference and he said more than once how valuable the 2021 is as a trade chip. Most writers are saying this as well and it will be used for Leonard. The feeling is that in 2021 high schoolers will be allowed to go right to the NBA.
Washington Post has the Sixers as having had the second-best draft, after Dallas, because of the 2021 pick.

Sixers now 10-1 odds at Bovada to land James. Apparently his family wants to be in LA or Cleveland.

Hard to say no to LBJ if he wants to come there, but as a Lakers fan, I would prefer they not give up too many young pieces to get Kawhi in an attempt to win immediately. I believe Lonzo and Ingram will grow significantly in the next couple of years. I'd basically send Kuzma and a 1st to the Spurs for Kawhi but not much more at this point. Golden State will be hard to beat for another couple years, so I'd rather let the young guys grow and add Kawhi next offseason.

For whatever reason I can’t see LA pulling off any legitimate trade for Kawhi. The sixers and the Celtics have far more and far better assets, and both have an interest in getting him. They’re also the two primary eastern conference contenders, which would mean they probably think they have what it takes to convince Kawhi to stay long term.

Another thought if you’re the sixers is that you can actually finagle the trade to get Kawhi AND free up the small amount of cap space needed to get lebron. A team of embiid, Simmons, Kawhi, lebron and Saric (assumes Covington and Fultz get moved to SA) is a title contender. Even against golden state.

If I’m lebron or Kawhi, I’m ok with that situation even if it’s not optimal. It’s a far better mix than anything the lakers can put on the floor. The lakers basically have nothing right now. They have cap space. That’s it. None of their players are starters on a contender.

Reactions: psuno1 and bmw199
If I'm Lebron do I really want to hitch my last few title chances to the shaky injury history of Simmons, Fultz and Embid all missing majority of a season if not more? When healthy, its a different story but he's dealt with K Love's injuries the past 2 seasons, same with Isaah Thomas and Kyrie. Its part of the reason he doesn't seem to have a ton of interest partnering up with his good friend CP3 either... and if you add Kawhi that is just another injury question mark...but the potential would be worth the risk if I am LBJ.

If I’m lebron or Kawhi, I’m ok with that situation even if it’s not optimal. It’s a far better mix than anything the lakers can put on the floor. The lakers basically have nothing right now. They have cap space. That’s it. None of their players are starters on a contender.

Just my opinion, but I think you're under-rating the Lakers. They have some good young players in Julius Randle, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, and Lonzo Ball. Who knows where LeBron finally lands, but I expect he is seriously considering the Lakers.

Just my opinion, but I think you're under-rating the Lakers. They have some good young players in Julius Randle, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, and Lonzo Ball. Who knows where LeBron finally lands, but I expect he is seriously considering the Lakers.

I've said Philly had very little chance since the middle of the season. Unless something really strange happens (James takes a very low pay to play in Houston) its down to LA and CLE. I am told he has registered his kids in private schools in both places (in LA with one of Scottie Pippen's kid for a high school super team). Both CLE and LA are trying to work deals to have some complimentary pieces. The big issue is LA working a trade for Leonard. And a lot of that is San Antonio who has a year left on his contract. And, why would SA trade him to a western conference team? I am gold he may end up going to Boston or the Sixers. CLE may be able to work a sign and trade but James' contract makes that almost impossible (he'd have to opt out, then sign again with CLE then the numbers have to work under the cap space. Am told SA is trying to work this out to make a run next year with Leonard and James on a one-year shot, Pop's last).

I've said Philly had very little chance since the middle of the season. Unless something really strange happens (James takes a very low pay to play in Houston) its down to LA and CLE. I am told he has registered his kids in private schools in both places (in LA with one of Scottie Pippen's kid for a high school super team). Both CLE and LA are trying to work deals to have some complimentary pieces. The big issue is LA working a trade for Leonard. And a lot of that is San Antonio who has a year left on his contract. And, why would SA trade him to a western conference team? I am gold he may end up going to Boston or the Sixers. CLE may be able to work a sign and trade but James' contract makes that almost impossible (he'd have to opt out, then sign again with CLE then the numbers have to work under the cap space. Am told SA is trying to work this out to make a run next year with Leonard and James on a one-year shot, Pop's last).
This may come down to sour grapes, but the Philly talking heads seem to have moved on from LBJ. Leonard would be an interesting fit in Philly.

Well, one reason to trade him to a West team is if the package back is superior to what they could get from say Philly or Boston. Kawahi holds ALL the leverage here since he can simply say he will play the one year out in Philly or Boston and then go to LA if that’s where he wants to be. In the case where Kawahi tells both Eastern teams that he is not agreeing to an extension, I can’t believe they get back anywhere close to what they hoped they would get. LA is the Spurs best trading partner in this in that Kawahi would probably agree upfront to an extension. If it allows you to get Ingram and Kuzma and picks, that is a pretty good return. I’d take that over a Sixers package of say Fultz and Covington all day every day. You’d have to then assess the likely quality of picks but just for players, LA can step up.

I recognize as well that you know all of this already. I think the best return is probably LA and then a package from Boston than Philly.

I’m not sure if LBJ listened to Shaq, but Shaq was right on the money. Lebron’s place is set and he will never be recognized as the GOAT since he’s lost so many Finals. He might think he’s the best but a ton of media people who already don’t like him will never acknowledge him over Jordan ( what’s sad is that Wilt and Russell don’t even get a sniff).

So LBJ should do what makes everyone around him in his family the most happy. Ride it out in CLE and then buy the franchise. Or go big and go Hollywood which seems to appeal to his interests of extending his brand globally in a lot of different directions. He has a palace out there after construction is done and the weather is certainly better. Heck with chasing rings go for the next step in your life which will last a long time for him.

Reactions: WestSideLion
So let's say the Sixers strike out on James, Leonard, and George, which there is a pretty decent chance they may, who do the Sixers go after? Any FA make sense for 2019? 2020?

So let's say the Sixers strike out on James, Leonard, and George, which there is a pretty decent chance they may, who do the Sixers go after? Any FA make sense for 2019? 2020?

Klay Thompson is out there for 2019, but he seems really tied to the Warriors for obvious reasons. At some point though, they can't pay everyone. Draymond apparently wants the max. Jimmy Butler will be a free agent in 2019, but there is a lot of wear and tear on him. Have to see how it all plays out. They could sign a bunch of guys on one year deals again, like Redick and/or Tyreke Evans. There is also talk that George wants to stay put with OKC. With the Spurs refusing to engage with the Lakers on Kawhi, would Lebron go to the Lakers by himself? Seems unlikely. Maybe Lebron stays in Cleveland, but that squad doesn't have much room to improve as LJ gets older.

Everyone wants this to happen for the Sixers now, but their core is all below 24 years old. There is time for them to get better and reach their prime just as the Warriors are winding down. I'm not worried about it.

http://thesportsdaily.com/2018/06/23/sixers-heavy-favorite-to-land-kawhi-leonard-per-report/

Interesting take on Leonard to Philly. If the reports are anywhere near true, three of Fultz/Saric/Covington/Zaire Smith plus the 2021 Heat pick is a huge bounty to give up even if they get Leonard to commit to resigning. The Judge May be right that they’re better suited playing a long game.

High stakes. Curious who the Sixers would want to include least in that deal. That’s a ton to give up.

Randle is a decent piece. He hustles, rebounds and has a decent mid range game. But even though Kuzma and Ingram have played decently, they both also have limited upside. Ball has some upside, but his rookie season really didn’t show me the flashes that say “this guy can be a star”.

Well, one reason to trade him to a West team is if the package back is superior to what they could get from say Philly or Boston. Kawahi holds ALL the leverage here since he can simply say he will play the one year out in Philly or Boston and then go to LA if that’s where he wants to be. In the case where Kawahi tells both Eastern teams that he is not agreeing to an extension, I can’t believe they get back anywhere close to what they hoped they would get. LA is the Spurs best trading partner in this in that Kawahi would probably agree upfront to an extension. If it allows you to get Ingram and Kuzma and picks, that is a pretty good return. I’d take that over a Sixers package of say Fultz and Covington all day every day. You’d have to then assess the likely quality of picks but just for players, LA can step up.

I recognize as well that you know all of this already. I think the best return is probably LA and then a package from Boston than Philly.

Fultz still has a lot of value. You get control of him for a long time, and there was a reason he was the number one pick. If you go back and watch his college and summer league tape, it’s evident that if he gets that jump shot back he can be a star. Covington I’m not a huge fan of, but he’s an analytics wet dream. Led all SFs in RPM and win shares. Extremely high defensive efficiency 3 and D player who got his 3 pt % up to valuable this year and he’s under a contract for four more years. Add in the Miami unprotected 21 pick and that blows any offer from LA out of the water.

You could maybe work a trade for a McCollum or DeRozan, but I don’t know if they’d go that route. That 21 Miami pick is huge because it’s a bargaining chip that will hold a lot of value for at least two more years. My sense is that if they don’t land Kawhi or LBJ, they bring back some of the pieces like redick and ilyasova on 1 year deals and then try again for trades or FAs in 2019. In the meantime, you’d still have the fultz lottery ticket.

Fultz, Covington, and Smith. and Leonard signs a long term contract before the trade.
That’s a ton to give up, but if they keep the 2021 Heat pick and get Leonard, then it’s reasonable and gives them some extended cap flexibility by losing both Fultz and Covington. That has to be easily $15 million a year in space they’d lose to offset about half of what Leonard would make on an extension.

I’m not sure if LBJ listened to Shaq, but Shaq was right on the money. Lebron’s place is set and he will never be recognized as the GOAT since he’s lost so many Finals. He might think he’s the best but a ton of media people who already don’t like him will never acknowledge him over Jordan ( what’s sad is that Wilt and Russell don’t even get a sniff).

So LBJ should do what makes everyone around him in his family the most happy. Ride it out in CLE and then buy the franchise. Or go big and go Hollywood which seems to appeal to his interests of extending his brand globally in a lot of different directions. He has a palace out there after construction is done and the weather is certainly better. Heck with chasing rings go for the next step in your life which will last a long time for him.
I totally agree with this. I would add, IMHO, one championship in CLE is worth three in LA, Chicago, Dallas, NY or Miami. Players don't want to play here. As a 26 year old kid in his first FA opportunity, who wants to live in Cleveland? For my money, Jordan is the NBA's "GOAT" but James isn't far behind.

But to your point, CLE is his legacy. They made it to the finals and short of a bad call and a brain fart, would have won game one. If that happens, James doesn't slam his hand and the Cavs go back to CLE 1-1, at least...it would have been a different series in toto. So Cavs can still win, if they get a bit creative and get a little lucky. some talk of Cavs first pick and Love for Leonard. Not holding my breath but SA needs to get something for KL.

I totally agree with this. I would add, IMHO, one championship in CLE is worth three in LA, Chicago, Dallas, NY or Miami. Players don't want to play here. As a 26 year old kid in his first FA opportunity, who wants to live in Cleveland? For my money, Jordan is the NBA's "GOAT" but James isn't far behind.

But to your point, CLE is his legacy. They made it to the finals and short of a bad call and a brain fart, would have won game one. If that happens, James doesn't slam his hand and the Cavs go back to CLE 1-1, at least...it would have been a different series in toto. So Cavs can still win, if they get a bit creative and get a little lucky. some talk of Cavs first pick and Love for Leonard. Not holding my breath but SA needs to get something for KL.
Meh. That’s not nearly as good a return as what Philly or Boston could/would offer. Your first point is exactly why Leonard would likely decline an extension deal in a trade involving Cleveland.

Meh. That’s not nearly as good a return as what Philly or Boston could/would offer. Your first point is exactly why Leonard would likely decline an extension deal in a trade involving Cleveland.
I agree. I think it should be a foregone conclusion at this point that Kawhi is in either Philly or Boston within the next two weeks. Philly is going to go all out to get him as a way to lure Lebron. They have the assets to do so. Boston has more assets, but I don't know if any trade they would make makes them any better, particularly with the risk of flight after 2019. Philly will take that risk, if it means they can lure Lebron.

If LA picks up Paul George AND Lebron in free agency, then it also means they don't give up a bunch of their young players. That said, LA is still not a contender even with Lebron and PG. It's just not enough to overcome Houston or more importantly Golden State.

If winning a title is important, there's only two places that can make it work: Philly (even without Kawhi wins the East with Lebron) or LA (if LA can get Kawhi AND PG).

Reactions: Judge Smails
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT