ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So jacked for this season to get going! As excited as I am to see Emiib progress, I’m more excited to see how Simmons develops. He’s got the ability to be a massive key to a great season. The way he moves around the court looks effortless for a kid that is almost 7 feet tall.

Saric just keeps getting better and better. Could be a fun season.

Hopefully leads to this....

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/vb75g3/meet-your-2022-nba-champions-the-philadelphia-76ers

So fired up already... can't wait... question for me tonight is who is going to matchup with Wall and attempt to keep him somewhat under control

I hate basketball, especially the NBA

But I root for all philly teams and even I am excited for the 76ers.

I had the same... looks like they make a few that are close but no exact duplicate
Mine would've come out in about 1968. Did you have them?

Jaysus. I looked up vintage sneakers on ebay. Some of the prices are unreal. Thousands for some pairs.

Last edited:
I'm not much on basketball, don't typically get into it till the playoffs. Same with baseball and hockey (although I will tune in for a hockey game every now and again).

Simmons looked the part tonight for sure.....He is very smooth and has great vision. Didn't take one jump hot and we know that's the weak part of his game, but he looked awesome to me in his first NBA game.

Fultz played well as well after settling down a bit....he will be playing in better in a month or so once he gets used to the speed.

Embiid did his thing and was nice to see the limit be increased in game 1 from 16-20 minutes to the 26-27 played.

Almost pulled off a big road win over one of the top teams in the East on night 1....not bad. I see good things to come!

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Impressive performance. Going to be a very fun season watching this team grow.

Brett Brown looks a 16 year old who was just handed the keys to a Lambo for his birthday on the sideline. And who can blame him?

Covingtons shot looks a lot better and he seems a lot more confident in it. Coupled with redick and bayless, the starters looked really really good. I thought the sixers got hosed on a few calls in the 4th, but it's just one game, on the road, against probably the second or third best team in the east.

The sixers are going to be good this year. I've been saying for a while that this isn't an 8-seed team. This is a 4-5 seed team that will be dangerous in the playoffs if embiid stays healthy. Now if only fultz can figure out that free throw...ouch...

Sixers basically gave this game away, but that shouldn't deter the overall quality of the performance. Washington, assuming no catastrophic injury situation, is going to host at least one playoff series, maybe even 2. Sixers hung with Washington. The "Process Sixers" would have lost that game by about 20+ when the Wizards came roaring back in the 3rd to open that lead up to 9 (I think that was as high as it got in the 3rd, could be wrong).

Some notes:
1. Simmons is the real deal, but I think we're going to start seeing teams hedge on P&Rs where Simmons is the ball handler instead of dropping off like the Wizards did tonight. Giving Simmons that chunk of space is just too much for his speed, and he will take advantage of it. Hedging would have the benefit of forcing Simmons laterally to allow his defender to recover from going under the screen. I was a little bit bummed we didn't get an opportunity to post him up really in this game, but Boston has smaller guards like Kyrie and Rozier that will work on for Friday.

2. Embiid was good but he's going to have to do a better job in keeping possession of the ball. He had a crucial turnover in the 4th by just bringing the ball up when Simmons was right there as an outlet. He's still a beast, but his timing isn't quite right yet this season. That mid range jumper is fluid, and I expect we will see teams go for the immediate double on him much more frequently when he faces up because anything from 12-16 feet is practically a layup for him.

3. Fultz was able to do everything apart from that ugly freaking shot he has now willingly equipped himself with. He got to the rim (had struggles finishing but that's to be expected for 19 year olds), he had a couple of nice passes, and he showed competency + willingness to defend. He needs to fix that free throw and he needs to go back to his normal shot. The fadeaway in the paint over the stretched Kelly Oubre in the 3rd was much more like the Fultz shot that I have seen. Please get back to that Markelle.

4. One vet was good, others were not. Bayless was largely terrible apart from a scoring barrage against the Wizards bench early in the 4th. Amir Johnson was pretty bad, get well soon Richaun. JJ Redick was good, was really impressed by him.

5. Robert Covington is legitimately good, pay that man his money. Dario Saric was pretty invisible, he should really be in those Fultz lineups more often to give another creative outlet imo.

Thought they looked great. Young team still learning how to win especially on the road against a playoff caliber team. Simmons was amazing, looked like a 5 year vet. Fultz as we thought is work in progress. Embiid looked good and needs game conditioning. A number of his turnovers looked to him being tired and out of wind. That will come with time. Covington was beast mode last night and makes a great 3 point shooting duo with JJ. Overall really like this team as they should only get better. Saric didn't have a big impact last night but Brown is still figuring out rotations and expect him to get more minutes and playtime as season goes on

Covington was perfect in that role last night. Covington as your 3rd or 4th best player is where he should be. If RoCo is your best player your gonna be in trouble (which he had to be the last 3 years and did a great job of it). Hes gonna feel like it’s so easy now with Simmons, Embiid, and JJ out there. He’s gonna have an excellent season once they get this rotation figured out and get their spacing right.

They played a great game.

Bayless was brutal to watch...I’m gonna guess he is gonna hold that spot until Fultz gets more comfortable (probably around the all star break).

Question...when Holmes comes back do they just cut Oak? I feel like they are just holding him as insurance to keep a third big man.

Excited to see how they do against the Celts tomorrow

10...9...8...76ers!!

Reactions: bwifan
There is no point to cut Okafor. They'd be on the hook for his salary this year (and next year too I believe) regardless. They'll decline their team option next year before they cut him. There aren't alternative options the Sixers could bring in to replace him, so cutting him when they can shed his salary next summer with no obligation for 18/19 is a much better move.

Reactions: jmorovich
Any thoughts on the game last night? Reddick looks like money well spent with his leadership and shooting skills. Simmons is as advertised. Embid and Fultz need PT and get in game shape. Good game by Bayless. Saric looked out of sync.

Still need 2 more pieces to the puzzle-should be taken care of next Summer.

Any thoughts on the game last night? Reddick looks like money well spent with his leadership and shooting skills. Simmons is as advertised. Embid and Fultz need PT and get in game shape. Good game by Bayless. Saric looked out of sync.

Still need 2 more pieces to the puzzle-should be taken care of next Summer.

Looks like Brown is still working out sub rotation. Saris is trying to figure out where he fits in as well as get into the flow of the game immediately when put in... Simmons is really impressive. Looks like a 5 year vet, so natural and plays relaxed. Have to work on defense and switches more. JJ looks great and RoCo needs to be more consistent outside. Overall this team is light years ahead of last year and so excited for the future. We knew they would be up and down this year while they figure out how to win.

Wow that was fun....

Embiid 30-9
Simmons 21-12-10

Really nice close out after Detroit battled back.

Reactions: bwifan
What’s scary.....very scary....is how good Embiid is despite his lack of playing experience.

He was only at KU for one year and his missed the NCAAs with an injury.

Now this is the start of his fourth year in the NBA, yet how much did he actually play during his first three years?

IF.....HUGE HUGE IF.....IF he can stay healthy, he’s gonna be one of the league’s very best players. And he won’t be 24 years old until March!

I never understood why Fultz was the consensus top pick....I had serious doubts about how he would perform in the NBA, and thus far he's been exactly what I expected. I really would've preferred they took Ball or stay put and taken Tatum. I just don't think Fultz is ever an all-star caliber player, or even close for that matter.

It also appears clear his shoulder is messed up. Please explain why he's taken approximately 1 shot outside 15 feet, and changed his FT technique into a complete disaster, unless something serious is wrong.

I never understood why Fultz was the consensus top pick....I had serious doubts about how he would perform in the NBA, and thus far he's been exactly what I expected. I really would've preferred they took Ball or stay put and taken Tatum. I just don't think Fultz is ever an all-star caliber player, or even close for that matter.

You can look it up in the earlier Sixer threads, but I felt the Sixers gave up too much to move up a few spots, AND, I wasn't sure that Fultz was either the #1 pick or the ideal pick for the Sixers. Even at the time, they seemed to be leaning toward having Simmons as the PG. While Simmons is an amazing talent, if he's the PG, then the team really needed a long-range shooter at SG to complement him. Fultz is very talented, but like Simmons he's a guard that wants to drive to the basket and either shoot or dish. While I'm willing to give Fultz a few years to grow into his body, and to develop his shot, I didn't see him as an immediate impact player. Whether or not he can develop into an all-star, only time will tell.

It also appears clear his shoulder is messed up. Please explain why he's taken approximately 1 shot outside 15 feet, and changed his FT technique into a complete disaster, unless something serious is wrong.

The shoulder is a concern. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is, so I'm willing to cut Fultz some slack. For his lack of outside shots, see my earlier reply in this post. As for his FT technique, I haven't a clue what's going on there.

You can look it up in the earlier Sixer threads, but I felt the Sixers gave up too much to move up a few spots, AND, I wasn't sure that Fultz was either the #1 pick or the ideal pick for the Sixers. Even at the time, they seemed to be leaning toward having Simmons as the PG. While Simmons is an amazing talent, if he's the PG, then the team really needed a long-range shooter at SG to complement him. Fultz is very talented, but like Simmons he's a guard that wants to drive to the basket and either shoot or dish. While I'm willing to give Fultz a few years to grow into his body, and to develop his shot, I didn't see him as an immediate impact player. Whether or not he can develop into an all-star, only time will tell.

The shoulder is a concern. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is, so I'm willing to cut Fultz some slack. For his lack of outside shots, see my earlier reply in this post. As for his FT technique, I haven't a clue what's going on there.

While I agree he's a slash and kick type, I'm not sure it's fair to say he's not shooting from the outside because he's not that type of player. He attempted 5 threes per game at Washington. It's pretty strange to go from 5 threes per game to 1 shot outside of 15 feet in 4 games. For comparison sake, Lonzo similarly took 5.4 threes per game in college, but he has 17 such shots in the NBA thus far in 3 games. Tough to explain absent injury.

I felt as though Malik Monk was the right fit for what the Sixers needed, even though he clearly wasnt one of the top 5 players in the draft. I would've preferred they traded down, added a future asset, and taken Monk. Instead they moved up, and gave aware future assets for a player I think benefits them less. Granted, Monk hasn't exactly proven me right thus far.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear when we look back at what the Sixers could've had instead of Fultz, that move will prove to have played a large role in whether Hinkie's plan plays out.

Hopefully this answers some questions we have about Fultz. I still think he’s gonna be special. He’s just following the Sixer rookie pattern...gotta get a medical redshirt your first year!

https://www.libertyballers.com/2017...to-shoot-the-ball-sixers-process-philadelphia

I watched the last 3 minutes tonight, only 3 I've watched this season. Thank goodness, nice choke job. What has changed? Terrible offensive series with Redick chucking up desperation 3's as the clock shot is at 0. Blow an 8 point lead at home in the last 80 seconds. Awful!

I watched the last 3 minutes tonight, only 3 I've watched this season. Thank goodness, nice choke job. What has changed? Terrible offensive series with Redick chucking up desperation 3's as the clock shot is at 0. Blow an 8 point lead at home in the last 80 seconds. Awful!

^

2_A52_FF30-_BF49-43_AF-_AB18-8168_BCB1_D976.gif

They lost by one to a Rockets team many expect to be among the best in the league.

The Sixers of years past would have been blown out. They’re highly competitive (with Embiid anyway) and will get better/win a lot more this year.

Reactions: jmorovich
They lost by one to a Rockets team many expect to be among the best in the league.

The Sixers of years past would have been blown out. They’re highly competitive (with Embiid anyway) and will get better/win a lot more this year.

So now we're into moral victories? You must work for their marketing department. That was a brutal loss, they looked lost in the last minute.

So now we're into moral victories? You must work for their marketing department. That was a brutal loss, they looked lost in the last minute.
My point is that they’re competitive unlike past years. I said nothing about moral victories, but a team needs to show improvement and they are.

Crawl, walk, run...they’re on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT