ADVERTISEMENT

2005 OSU team

liex26

Aug 1, 2016
After taking a look back at the 2005 team that many say was the strongest ever, it looks like there are some similarities in strong weight classes. This got me wondering..... what would a dual on a neutral mat look like VS 2017 PSU team.
Mocco won the Hodge
Zain wins the Hodge
OSU scored 153, not sure how many of those were bonus.
PSU scored 146.5
OSU 5 Champs (in bold below) 3 #1 seeds, a #2 seed, and a #3 seed.
PSU 5 Champs

OSU-
125- Coleman Scott
133- Nathan Morgan
141- Daniel Frishkorn
149- Zack Esposito
157- Kevin Ward
165- Johny Hendricks
174- Chris Pendelton

184- Jack Jensen
197- Jake Rosholt
285- Steve Mocco

Some other 2005 notes:
Ben Askren 2nd
Jake Herbert 3d
Eric Bradley PSU best finisher (4th), and first of only two AA. Phil Davis was the other, who placed 7th
Cain Velasquez 3d
Quite the MMA lineup there too.

MI- 83
OK- 77.5
Cornell -76.5
MN- 72.5
IL-70.5
IA-66
LU-60
IN- 58.5
IA St- 57

Rough year for the good guys.
I really couldn't even begin to predict the outcome of a hypothetical dual, I don't know that many of the OSU wrestlers from that year well enough.
Anyone else care to take a shot at it?
I like our chances in a dual considering we would have had Suriano who of course had no points at NCAAs.

Has anyone researched what class the other wrestlers were in the Iowa and okie st 5 champ runs? I would be surprised if any had all underclassmen like we did.

After taking a look back at the 2005 team that many say was the strongest ever, it looks like there are some similarities in strong weight classes. This got me wondering..... what would a dual on a neutral mat look like VS 2017 PSU team.
Mocco won the Hodge
Zain wins the Hodge
PSU scored 146.5
PSU 5 Champs

OSU-
125- Coleman Scott
133- Nathan Morgan
141- Daniel Frishkorn
149- Zack Esposito
157- Kevin Ward
165- Johny Hendricks
174- Chris Pendelton

184- Jack Jensen
197- Jake Rosholt
285- Steve Mocco

Some other 2005 notes:
Ben Askren 2nd
Jake Herbert 3d
Eric Bradley PSU best finisher (4th), and first of only two AA. Phil Davis was the other, who placed 7th
Cain Velasquez 3d

MI- 83
OK- 77.5
Cornell -76.5
MN- 72.5
IL-70.5
IA-66
LU-60
IN- 58.5
IA St- 57

I really couldn't even begin to predict the outcome of a hypothetical dual, I don't know that many of the OSU wrestlers from that year well enough.
I like our chances in a dual considering we would have had Suriano who of course had no points at NCAAs.

Interesting exercise liex26.

Likely outcome of a dual between the 2005 OSU team and PSU 2017...

PSU 2017 would win all ten matches with. bonus points, as the OSU 2005 team would be completely out of eligibility.

But am open to other opinions... ;)

Last edited:
OK State had 27 bonus points that year. PSU with the point for a win after a bye would have scored 154.5 points that year. Very similar teams.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Interesting exercise liex26.

Likely outcome of a dual between the 2005 OSU team and PSU 2017...

PSU 2017 would win all ten matches with. bous points, as the OSU 2005 team would be completely out of eligibility.

It seems like we would be in better condition too ;)

Reactions: T J and Dogwelder
Without much thought, i give them 125, 133, 141, 197 and HWt. Tough to win a dual with that as the foundation.

I give us the big 3, but then hall and cenzo are in dog fights.

I give them the dual bonus points at 133, 197 and probably at Hwt.

Who wins....the Fans and the message boards!

Without much thought, i give them 125, 133, 141, 197 and HWt. Tough to win a dual with that as the foundation.

You give them 125? We are talking hypothetical dual so Suriano is not injured and he handles Scott pretty easily IMHO. I also don't think Mocco would bonus Nevills or Rosholt bonus Cutch and we get a fall at 184 and bonus for sure at 157. Would be a great dual.

Not so fast at 125....
In 2005, Coleman Scott was a freshman --- finished 24-9 and 8th at NCAA
A healthy Jersey Nick is favored in this matchup IMO
**shout out to NoVa, who was thinking along these lines, too

Mocco won the Hodge
Zain wins the Hodge
PSU scored 146.5
PSU 5 Champs

OSU-
125- Coleman Scott
133- Nathan Morgan
141- Daniel Frishkorn
149- Zack Esposito
157- Kevin Ward
165- Johny Hendricks
174- Chris Pendelton

184- Jack Jensen
197- Jake Rosholt
285- Steve Mocco

Some other 2005 notes:
Ben Askren 2nd
Jake Herbert 3d
Cain Velasquez 3d

MI- 83
OK- 77.5
Cornell -76.5
MN- 72.5
IL-70.5
IA-66
LU-60
IN- 58.5
IA St- 57

That OSU team was interesting, I always thought the Rosholt that showed up to NCAAs was different than the one during the season. If I recall correctly 4 trips to NCAA's and one loss but think he probably had 10 to 15 career losses during his career. Was always impressed with Pendelton as he seemed to own Askren who was an incredible wrestler

Not so fast at 125....
In 2005, Coleman Scott was a freshman --- finished 24-9 and 8th at NCAA
A healthy Jersey Nick is favored in this matchup IMO
**shout out to NoVa, who was thinking along these lines, too

I guess we kick into different goal posts. the 2005 is the 2005 team. the 2017 team is the 2017 team. on our 2017 team we had a hurt 125 that didnt compete.

Why not add cortez in then?

I guess we kick into different goal posts. the 2005 is the 2005 team. the 2017 team is the 2017 team. on our 2017 team we had a hurt 125 that didnt compete.

Why not add cortez in then?

The discussion is about a hypothetical dual and Suriano wrestled the entire dual season so why leave him out? In fact, Scott and Morgan didn't have their shirts pulled until the VA Duals in January of that season so they only wrestled part of the dual season. If we add Cortez I think they still win 133, but lose any bonus they would have gotten.

The discussion is about a hypothetical dual and Suriano wrestled the entire dual season so why leave him out? In fact, Scott and Morgan didn't have their shirts pulled until the VA Duals in January of that season so they only wrestled part of the dual season. If we add Cortez I think they still win 133, but lose any bonus they would have gotten.

because he did not compete at the national tournament and took the mat at bigs only to FF. Its that simple.

If your hypothetical assumes he is healthy that is fine. Mine doesnt cause he wasnt. no harm no foul, all is good.

I say Nick had terrible luck and wasn't able to achieve his goal, so the least we could do is let him have a hypothetical victory.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT