ADVERTISEMENT

1991 Penn St. football. Give me your play of the year.

I'll go with the McDuffie punt return to set up good field position and help swing momentum for PSU in the 3rd Q of the Fiesta Bowl vs.UT. Can't even recall a weirder game than that one in terms of momentum swings.

I'll go with the McDuffie punt return to set up good field position and help swing momentum for PSU in the 3rd Q of the Fiesta Bowl vs.UT. Can't even recall a weirder game than that one in terms of momentum swings.
That was a wild game. Probably the craziest Penn St. game I can remember.

How about the 53 yard or 57 yard TD runs by true Frosh FB J.T Morris? This guy was the VA 100 meter and shot put champ his Senior in High School. That showed how crazy deep the roster was with RBs in '91. That season the squad had EIGHT RBs that were eventually drafted...Richie Anderson, Sam Gash, Shelly Hammonds(switched to DB eventually), Ki-Jana Carter, Mike Archie, Brian Milne, Jon Witman and Stephen Pitts. JT transferred to Liberty and had a serious injury there that all but ended his career.

Not play of the year but didn't Tony Sacca whip out the behind the back pass in 91? I believe it was the Miami game.

That sounds right. I belive it was a behind the back shovel pass to Troy Drayton.

The play of the year was when the Miami kick-returner stepped out of the end zone like he was going to return the kick then stepped back into it and took the knee. Should have been a safety and PSU should have gotten the ball back with about a minute to go. I could not believe it that those refs placed the ball on the 20...

The play of the year was when the Miami kick-returner stepped out of the end zone like he was going to return the kick then stepped back into it and took the knee. Should have been a safety and PSU should have gotten the ball back with about a minute to go. I could not believe it that those refs placed the ball on the 20...
Wasn't that on an interception? He did break the plane in my opinion while showboating. Also that was the day of the infamous Clarence Thomas hearings which interrupted the game causing me to have a meltdown.

I've tried very hard to forget that game, so the incident PSUKen is raising is blank to my memory. The behind the back pass to Drayton was unbelievable at the time, and IIRC was a story that Ken Denlinger expanded upon in his book about his years following PSU. And SEPA is correct, those were the Thomas/Anita Hill hearings that pre-empted portions of the 1st half, which had to infuriate not just PSU fans but ABC affiliates up and down the East Coast. IF PSU had won the game, the Drayton play may have been my highlight for the year.

Wasn't that on an interception? He did break the plane in my opinion while showboating. Also that was the day of the infamous Clarence Thomas hearings which interrupted the game causing me to have a meltdown.
It was a kick return...and what also stands out in that game is the PSU was determined to not let that explosive Miami punt returner hurt them, then ended up getting two personal fouls for interfering with him as he caught the ball. It was so hot in that stadium that day, was a sauna...had a great time with the PSU alumni of the Jupiter area.

Against Miami, Sacca being too tired to run for the first down and instead throwing an incomplete pass to turn it over on downs late in the game. I don't blame him, he was gassed after a tough performance, but boy did that feel like one that got away.

Reactions: psuken
ADVERTISEMENT