ADVERTISEMENT

197 pounds

cpn1sgm

Aug 19, 2007
I read on hear that Rasheed is 6-2. I know he struggled to make 165 last year. What are the chances he grows into 197 pounds and replaces MM for the 2016-2017 season. I don't see Nickle getting any bigger than 174 or 184. Thx.

I read on here that Rasheed is 6-2. I know he struggled to make 165 last year. What are the chances he grows into 197 pounds and replaces MM for the 2016-2017 season. I don't see Nickle getting any bigger than 174 or 184. Thx.

Kind of like what are the chances that I'll hit the PowerBall. Well, perhaps not that unlikely, but hopefully you get the point.

Projecting weights is always a challenge, but I'll give it a shot.

Rasheed has gotten taller. That said, keep in mind that he was also pretty skinny in high school. His body type is long and lean.

Also keep in mind in your projections that Nickal was injured this season, and also got pretty sick earlier this year.

197 in 2016-17? At this point, I think Cassar is the most likely one to be at that weight. It's possible that Mouse may move up, though I think he would be somewhat undersized at 197. Other options would be Wes Phipps, Nick Weldon, or Devon Van Cura, or somebody that's not even on the current roster. (Incoming freshman Kellan Stout is likely to be at 184, but could grow into 197.) Cassar has to be considered the favorite of those on the roster.

IMHO, Nickal has a better chance of getting to 197 than does Rasheed, though I'd be surprised if either gets to 197 while in college, especially in 16/17.

I also think you're overstating things with the comment "I know he [Rasheed] struggled to make 165 last year." He was, as I recall, 0.1 lbs. over 165 at weigh ins for his first tourney after being out for an extended time with an injury. Between his growth spurt and his rehab (and thus inability to work out on the mats), it's not a huge surprise that he had a weight management issue at his first Open.

Agree with Tom, that looks pretty unlikely for 16/17. It does look like Cassar is the most likely candidate.

To me, McCutcheon looks small at 184 let alone 197, but, hey, he did all right there and what do I know about their weights. I believe Stout has stated he will wrestle at 84, but after seeing him multiple times, he sure looks like he wrestles like a 197 to me. A beast on top, but really needs to develop some neutral offense. Who knows after a year or two in the room.

Rasheed is the wild card. From Cael's comments I would surmise that he is a go at 165 to challenge there, unless that is where Nolf ends up this year. Otherwise it seems he would be heading to 174 this year and maybe 184 the next.

ADVERTISEMENT