ADVERTISEMENT

14 year old girl kills 40 point whitetail in Kansas

My cousin's son, who lives in Idaho killed a 28 point that scored 250 back in 2010 and was the states 3rd largest non-typical buck at the time. I sent him the Kansas girls pics yesterday and told him he has some pretty stiff competition.
155-of-abnormal-growth-on-this-idaho-buck.jpg

Last edited:
I have never gone hunting. How many pounds of meat would the average buck and doe provide?
The average deer with a live weight of 125 lbs would probably provide around 50 lbs of meat. The area in Pa that I hunt is in the mountains of Tioga County. The deer are smaller body wise there vs farm fed deer which can weight up to and over 200 lbs. I think it would be safe to say a yield of 40% meat to a deer's live weight.

What in the world are those bucks eating to get that many points? Damn Kansas soil must be rich in something.

The buck scored 282 6/8 and is a possible new state record. She should quit hunting now as this one will be hard to top.
https://www.hutchnews.com/sports/20...d-kansas-girl-shot-this-monster-40-point-buck
The buck scored 282 6/8 and is a possible new state record. She should quit hunting now as this one will be hard to top.
https://www.hutchnews.com/sports/20...d-kansas-girl-shot-this-monster-40-point-buck
if it was taken on public land I’d be interested. But the deer was on their own property. Not so special now. Like feeding a steer for three years then killing it.

Reactions: Creek Side
Growing up on a farm with many other farms around us it's not like the deer 'lived' there. They cover miles daily
Growing up on a farm how many 40 points have you seen in your lifetime unless you grow feed for deer to get giant antlers. Guess there should be different categories for public and private land but that would turn into a fiasco of lying about where the deer was taken.

Growing up on a farm how many 40 points have you seen in your lifetime unless you grow feed for deer to get giant antlers. Guess there should be different categories for public and private land but that would turn into a fiasco of lying about where the deer was taken.
They are all killed before they get anywhere close to that size in swpa. Some on the way to school. Farmers dont intentionally feed deer. They kill them to harvest as much grain as possible

They are all killed before they get anywhere close to that size in swpa. Some on the way to school. Farmers dont intentionally feed deer. They kill them to harvest as much grain as possible
doesn’t say anything in the article about being taken on farm property but doesn’t matter anyway still private property and they knew the deer for at least 3 years and bet they were feeding it I would rather get an 8 pointer on the blue mountain o public land that would be a trophy for me especially in black powder season

Reactions: cment
Just some clarity on my cousin's son, Levi's 28 point, Idaho buck taken in Latah County in 2010. The buck was killed on private ground however it is publicly hunted. Hunting pressure isn't like it is in PA for whitetails as you have Elk, Mule deer and Moose also to hunt. Levi was 17 when he killed this buck and he had been chasing it for 3 years, finding the sheds the previous 2. The interesting thing was the base of the sheds were hollow as the pedicles of the antler stayed on the bucks head when he dropped his antlers.
Levi is a pretty accomplished hunter having killed a Bighorn sheep when he was 13 and a Bull Moose when he was 19. Both animals are once in a lifetime tag draws with a harvest in ID. Just another FYI, his Dad is a pretty good hunter and once guided hunts in Alaska and he helped Levi with the Bighorn sheep hunt.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
Heck with a 40 pt. Id like to see a 4 point. Plenty of deer on our farm and the neighboring farm but antlers are few and far between. My son and I harvested 6 last year. Didn't see a "horn" all season.

Reactions: bison13
So many questions from a non-hunter:
What determines the number of points (besides age)? From some posts above, it sounds like that can be influenced by diet.
What is meant by non-typical? Are records kept for typical?
How is that score determined and by whom?
I know these sound dumb to most of you.

What determines the number of points (besides age)? From some posts above, it sounds like that can be influenced by diet.

This page has answers to some of your questions with links to answers to others. It may not get all of them, but it is a start: https://www.buckmanager.com/2008/01/14/scoring-white-tailed-deer-using-boone-crockett-method/

the only dumb thing would be not knowing things and people making fun of you for seeking the answers

not everyone grows up the same way and nobody knows something before they are taught about it and/or experience it

Reactions: Ski
Age diet and genetics for antler size.

Non typical is basically where the antlers are abnormal and have points coming out from all different ways. You know it when you see it like the above pic.

The scoring is done by taking certain measurements to tine length, spread and circumference. That is pretty involved and beyond my knowledge.

Heck with a 40 pt. Id like to see a 4 point. Plenty of deer on our farm and the neighboring farm but antlers are few and far between. My son and I harvested 6 last year. Didn't see a "horn" all season.
I know your pain. If your screen name is where your farm is I see a lot of the same. One of these years I may get it figured out.

Reactions: helixville
ADVERTISEMENT