ADVERTISEMENT

125 question

Maybe it's the board's way of saying we've overanalyzed a 19-year-olds personal business enough.

You could always go over to the Iowa board and convince them that DeSanto has utterly zero chance of beating Suriano. Or did you get banned for that?
Rational conversations on HR about Penn State or Iowa wrestling are difficult to have. DeSanto might win a match if the two wrestled a hundred matches. It would be like Randy Lewis telling the story about the first time Tom Brands took Lewis down in practice. Lewis was hung over and Brands and Lewis had been going at each other for nearly two hours and when Brands finally completed a TD on Lewis and is clicking like a rooster Lewis lying on the mat looks up at Brands and says "sfutup dude, I was exhausted from taking you down a 100 times already".

Reactions: Dogwelder
I was completely on board with wrestling Schnupp for now, let Teas and Teske keep their shirts until the Scuffle and then decide. Now that Teas is not an option, I think they should just wrestle Teske. Whether we need him for the team title or not, I'd like to put our best on the mat and there is no reason to wait until the Scuffle now.

I was completely on board with wrestling Schnupp for now, let Teas and Teske keep their shirts until the Scuffle and then decide. Now that Teas is not an option, I think they should just wrestle Teske. Whether we need him for the team title or not, I'd like to put our best on the mat and there is no reason to wait until the Scuffle now.

Is it best for teske? I joke that Cael starts true freshmen because they are bound to take lumps and thus keep him as the sole undefeated 4xer, but in reality it looks to me like he makes the choice based on what’s best for the kid. Is teske ready for the full season?

Plus, nico says he still beats teske. Can teske even win his loca JV tournament? :)

Frequent topic, though my feelings are different. Must keep an eye on the prize. Won't say where any of our guys would fit in the group below, each of you can decide for yourself. It matters.

1 Spencer Lee Iowa Sophomore Big Ten 1
2 Sebastian Rivera Northwestern Sophomore Big Ten 2
3 Ronnie Bresser Oregon State Senior Pac-12 3
4 Nick Piccininni Oklahoma State Junior Big 12 4
5 Sean Russell Minnesota Senior Big Ten 5
6 Louie Hayes Virginia Sophomore ACC 7
7 Sean Fausz North Carolina State Senior ACC 8
8 Ryan Millhof Arizona State Senior Pac-12 9
9 Zeke Moisey Nebraska Senior Big Ten 6
10 RayVon Foley Michigan State Sophomore Big Ten 10
11 Rico Montoya Northern Colorado Senior Big 12 11
12 Travis Piotrowski Illinois Junior Big Ten 12
13 Connor Schram Lehigh Senior EIWA 13
14 Patrick Glory Princeton Freshman EIWA 14
15 Devin Schroder Purdue Sophomore Big Ten 15
16 Shakur Laney Ohio Junior MAC 16
17 Drew Mattin Michigan Sophomore Big Ten 17
18 Connor Brown Wisconsin Sophomore Big Ten 18
19 Michael McGee Old Dominion Sophomore MAC 19
20 Gabe Townsell Stanford Junior Pac-12 20

Reactions: fronk71
I think that assumes that pulling his shirt is what's best for Teske. Barring unforeseen circumstances the team, in all likelihood, won't need Teske at 125 this season to win either B1Gs or NCAAs.

I think that assumes that pulling his shirt is what's best for Teske. Barring unforeseen circumstances the team, in all likelihood, won't need Teske at 125 this season to win either B1Gs or NCAAs.

I should have elaborated further. We don't need him for the team title most likely so I wouldn't even use that as a factor. If he is ready, then I'd put him in. I'm assuming he is, but if he, for some reason isn't ready to wrestle at this level, then I agree with that, he should sit and get bigger, stronger, better. The point I was trying to make moreso was that I don't care at all about saving him because we already have the team title.

So all about him at this point.

My second point was there is not really a reason to wait now to make the decision if he is ready.

Frequent topic, though my feelings are different. Must keep an eye on the prize. Won't say where any of our guys would fit in the group below, each of you can decide for yourself. It matters.

1 Spencer Lee Iowa Sophomore Big Ten 1
2 Sebastian Rivera Northwestern Sophomore Big Ten 2
3 Ronnie Bresser Oregon State Senior Pac-12 3
4 Nick Piccininni Oklahoma State Junior Big 12 4
5 Sean Russell Minnesota Senior Big Ten 5
6 Louie Hayes Virginia Sophomore ACC 7
7 Sean Fausz North Carolina State Senior ACC 8
8 Ryan Millhof Arizona State Senior Pac-12 9
9 Zeke Moisey Nebraska Senior Big Ten 6
10 RayVon Foley Michigan State Sophomore Big Ten 10
11 Rico Montoya Northern Colorado Senior Big 12 11
12 Travis Piotrowski Illinois Junior Big Ten 12
13 Connor Schram Lehigh Senior EIWA 13
14 Patrick Glory Princeton Freshman EIWA 14
15 Devin Schroder Purdue Sophomore Big Ten 15
16 Shakur Laney Ohio Junior MAC 16
17 Drew Mattin Michigan Sophomore Big Ten 17
18 Connor Brown Wisconsin Sophomore Big Ten 18
19 Michael McGee Old Dominion Sophomore MAC 19
20 Gabe Townsell Stanford Junior Pac-12 20

I don't know if this is the exact point you are making but....

If you are saying that no one is winning this weight but Spencer for the next 3 years so he could sit and then overlap with him only 2 years, I could see that.

Not speaking for Roar, but 6 of the top-12 wrestlers are in the Big Ten.

Unless Teske is ready to compete at a high level, he will have a hard time scoring team points even at the Big Tens.

Not speaking for Roar, but 6 of the top-12 wrestlers are in the Big Ten.

Unless Teske is ready to compete at a high level, he will have a hard time scoring team points even at the Big Tens.

So this is telling me to temper my expectations for Teske because the Big Ten is tough...

We obviously would love to have 10 champs or something, but our team is better than great right now. I am excited to Devin to get some dubs for us--hopefully in Rec sometime, so we can cheer for him.

....and this is telling me to get excited for Devin to get some wins.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't know if this is the exact point you are making but....

If you are saying that no one is winning this weight but Spencer for the next 3 years so he could sit and then overlap with him only 2 years, I could see that.
It's not about Lee. It's about the entire weight class, and looking at where Brody fits. Can't avoid talking about the national tournament, as it will always be "who do the coaches feel will score more points at NCAA's" when making their decision to pull a RS. Plus, I don't know how he's adapting to college life, and keeping up with his studies.

Reactions: fronk71
Unless Teske projects to score points at NCAA's, there is no reason to pull his redshirt. Actually this year, at least based upon where everything projects right now, even if Teske was going to score points at NCAA's they are most likely not needed for PSU to win the national championship. Keep the shirt on.

Didn't Cael or Flo say Teske right now is dealing with a knee injury? I don't think believe it is significant, just keeping the staff from putting him on the mat.

I think a better Teske question is "what will make him a better wrestler next year?" If that is a year under the fire of Big 10 starters, 2-2 or (1-2) NCAA tournament, then let him wrestle. We need the contribution next year. We have the luxury (hopefully) of letting him get baptized under fire. if we believe we will have another 125 in 3-4 years, then saving the shirt makes no difference.

I think a better Teske question is "what will make him a better wrestler next year?" If that is a year under the fire of Big 10 starters, 2-2 or (1-2) NCAA tournament, then let him wrestle. We need the contribution next year. We have the luxury (hopefully) of letting him get baptized under fire. if we believe we will have another 125 in 3-4 years, then saving the shirt makes no difference.
I believe you are leaving out the mental aspect of the sport. You don't want to crush his confidence or burn him out mentally. That's why you trust the coaches to make the right decision here. Not only for the team, but for the individual as well.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I believe you are leaving out the mental aspect of the sport. You don't want to crush his confidence or burn him out mentally. That's why you trust the coaches to make the right decision here. Not only for the team, but for the individual as well.

And he is ignoring how good Teske may be as a 5th year senior, where he will certainly place a LOT higher at BIGs and NCAAs than he would this season.

And he is ignoring how good Teske may be as a 5th year senior, where he will certainly place a LOT higher at BIGs and NCAAs than he would this season.

Unless as a 5th year senior, we have some other future recruit that can beat him out. Not likely, but looks like that may happen to Nevills.

It's not a guarantee for anyone to redshirt year 1 and then start the next 4. That's the part that it seems everyone thinks is a certainty.

Unless as a 5th year senior, we have some other future recruit that can beat him out. Not likely, but looks like that may happen to Nevills.

It's not a guarantee for anyone to redshirt year 1 and then start the next 4. That's the part that it seems everyone thinks is a certainty.

And you keep ignoring the fact that Teske is unlikely to score any significant points at BIGs or NCAAs this season. Not to mention you (and MANY others) seem to think they know better than Cael, etal should do. I will never understand that attitude.

Reactions: Fatmarc and fronk71

The same thing could be said with RBY. Super tough weight this year. He may be worth only a few points at NCAAs. He certainly could be much higher his 5th year. Zain would have been a 4 time champ. If you follow that logic, everybody shirts, no matter what. Unfortunately, that's not real.

I do trust the coaches, just throwing out some thoughts for the board.

Reactions: Antaeus
Ignoring is a funny thing to point out as if it were a wrong thing. Unless we want 2000+ words per each post, every post is going to ignore something!

(Probably somebody will point out what this post of mine is ignoring. ;) )

Reactions: Antaeus
Ignoring is a funny thing to point out as if it were a wrong thing. Unless we want 2000+ words per each post, every post is going to ignore something!

(Probably somebody will point out what this post of mine is ignoring. ;) )
And if someone is silent on one thing, that does not give us license to straw-man what they did not say and then to knock down the straw man. Just saying.

Last edited:
The same thing could be said with RBY. Super tough weight this year. He may be worth only a few points at NCAAs. He certainly could be much higher his 5th year. Zain would have been a 4 time champ. If you follow that logic, everybody shirts, no matter what. Unfortunately, that's not real.

I do trust the coaches, just throwing out some thoughts for the board.

Good point. I personally was surprised the coaches decided to put RBY out there right away, instead of waiting until after the Scuffle.

And you keep ignoring the fact that Teske is unlikely to score any significant points at BIGs or NCAAs this season. Not to mention you (and MANY others) seem to think they know better than Cael, etal should do. I will never understand that attitude.

I don't understand the attitude that I can't discuss something without you acting like I'm saying I know more than Cael. this is a message board. i'm allowed to state my opinion and argue points. at the end of the day, this is sports/entertainment with college students (people) playing the sport. as long as we're respectful to the athletes, i'm allowed to state my opinion and talk about this sport and this team. you guys need to get off your high horse with this rah rah crap about always stating that cael is great and the team is great. I didn't say he isn't great or the team isn't great either. I never said I know the first thing compared to Cael. But just because you and some others go to events together and may or may not know Cael and are members of the wrestling club doesn't mean you are the only people that get to talk about the team. And just because I don't go with you, doesn't mean I don't go to just as much as you do. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure we've met and the next time we meet, I'm going to tell you who I am. (Not to be read as let's take this out to the parking lot, I'm literally going to just tell you who I am)

Cassar had 0% chance to beat Nevills. ZERO. You said this. So you know nothing. Or at least no more than anyone else on here. It was your opinion at the time though and you were allowed to say it.

You must be the guy at the events saying "down in front".

Good point. I personally was surprised the coaches decided to put RBY out there right away, instead of waiting until after the Scuffle.
I think the coaches expect big things from RBY this year. One other possibility, the wrestler could decide that he is not redshirting. College is expensive, especially PSU out of state (not saying this is the case for RBY).

I'd like to see Teske out there this year. Lizak was thrown to the wolves his freshman year and he turned out ok. I'm not saying that it will work the same for Teske or that I would expect the same results as Lizak but if you are planning for the future (nationals points aside) the experience could help in the long run. Cael will make the call and I think it will be fine either way.

Reactions: SJP80
This is a good discussion, with many points of view. Here's a few thoughts, based on what I've seen and heard over 9 years re. similar situations. Take it for what it's worth.

They'll consider the INDIVIDUAL
-- What does the wrestler/family want?
-- Is he ready, wrestling-wise?
-- Is he ready, academically/emotionally/etc.?

They'll consider the TEAM
-- What is the weight class situation? (Think Schnupp last year after the transfer)
-- If there's wrestle-offs, and/or season tournament results, do they provide clear direction?
-- What is the NCAA Tournament point-scoring potential?

It's complicated, and the coaches won't make decisions based on fan's desires. It'll always be about the wrestler and the team, with an eye on the prize. Think about the last few, Schnupp, RBY, Lee, Hall, even back to Zain, Nico, Q, and a few others. Every case is unique, but digging below the surface, and there was either a team need (due to injury, transfer, whatever), or an individual that really wanted to go in all cases. On the other side, four of our greatest wrestlers of all-time had 1st year redshirts.

Last edited:
Teske now!!!!!!

I am sick of starting each dual with a loss, and each competitive dual down 5 or 6. Love Schnupp's commitment but nothing is changing on that front.

The kid is tough with a great attitude, I don't think his confidence will be shattered.

Avoiding Spencer is not a strategy. He is going to crush everyone, it makes no sense to plan you future around him. He will probably take an Oly shirt himself and be around another year too.

By most accounts Teske ranking in the class, P4P, Flo, HR :),... indicates he probably won't ever be top 4, or beaying Nico in the room now,.... So exactly what do folks think he will develope into?

Stop over thinking things. Who knows who we might onboard in another 2-3 years.

I don't understand the attitude that I can't discuss something without you acting like I'm saying I know more than Cael. this is a message board. i'm allowed to state my opinion and argue points. at the end of the day, this is sports/entertainment with college students (people) playing the sport. as long as we're respectful to the athletes, i'm allowed to state my opinion and talk about this sport and this team. you guys need to get off your high horse with this rah rah crap about always stating that cael is great and the team is great. I didn't say he isn't great or the team isn't great either. I never said I know the first thing compared to Cael. But just because you and some others go to events together and may or may not know Cael and are members of the wrestling club doesn't mean you are the only people that get to talk about the team. And just because I don't go with you, doesn't mean I don't go to just as much as you do. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure we've met and the next time we meet, I'm going to tell you who I am. (Not to be read as let's take this out to the parking lot, I'm literally going to just tell you who I am)

Cassar had 0% chance to beat Nevills. ZERO. You said this. So you know nothing. Or at least no more than anyone else on here. It was your opinion at the time though and you were allowed to say it.

You must be the guy at the events saying "down in front".

I never once said or even implied that you couldn't voice your opinion so if that is what you took from my post then there is no point in further discussion. I apologize for stating my opinion.

Reactions: RoarLions1
I never once said or even implied that you couldn't voice your opinion so if that is what you took from my post then there is no point in further discussion. I apologize for stating my opinion.

Sorry, I must have inferred, my bad. I took your tone as why are you even posting as opposed to actually refuting or talking about points I made.

I agree with everyone here and I'll be shocked if Teske isn't starting at the B1G.

Can't we all just get along?

You'd think we were a board of mixed team's fans by the interaction some time.. ha.. I do find it funny some times that we can't just get along..
th

ADVERTISEMENT