ADVERTISEMENT

125 next year

Just heard in Rofkin that Howard may RS and sit out next year ( sounded more injury related) and that Gary Steen may be callled upon to start.
I think this would be good for Robbie. He definitely needed a redshirt coming in with the injury and lack of leg attacks, but with the free year there was no point. I hope he gets healthy.

With how deep 125 is, you might not lose many points with Steen, especially if Howard was banged up. I expect Howard would be much improved coming back afterwards.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Guy on Lions said RH had no training , like Kerk last year. Makes sense , but he thought he would be cleared in October and have a few months to be ready

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Guy on Lions said RH had no training , like Kerk last year. Makes sense , but he thought he would be cleared in October and have a few months to be ready
Even a RH with no training was significantly better than the alternative at 125 this year. If they have another option with Steen, that calculus changes.

Shoulder injuries are scary things for wrestling. Just ask Anthony.

If Howard has to take a year off and never sees 125 again, but he gets 4 years on the mat healthy, I will be a happy camper.

This kind of injury can be a career ender, when after the third or fourth time there is little choice. After that match I almost assumed they would have to go back in and repair.

No matter the training or rehab, sooner or later that shoulder will be tested again in an awkward position. There is no need to rush Robby back and having Steen inbound feels like a luxury right now.

Even a RH with no training was significantly better than the alternative at 125 this year. If they have another option with Steen, that calculus changes.

giphy.gif

2 things:

1. I'm extremely worried about Robert's long term health now ... 2 shoulder surgeries a year apart is a bad sign. Prayers for a speedy recovery right now and that he can stay healthy going forward.

2. I'd rather redshirt Steen and send Baylor Shunk to the postseason next year if Steen isn't ready. If he's going to get 0 for us at NCAAs, there's no point in burning a year of his eligibility he could be using to get acclimated to college wrestling and lifting weights to get bigger.

I dont see Howard making 125
Report (from sources):

Notice the should grab myself, but also noticed, during the finals round, I think it was when RBY won, the camera showed the PSU team in the stands , Howard was raising both arms and cheering RBY on... I made the comment then----looks like Howards should is okay. --I hope that is the case

I dont see Howard making 125

Notice the should grab myself, but also noticed, during the finals round, I think it was when RBY won, the camera showed the PSU team in the stands , Howard was raising both arms and cheering RBY on... I made the comment then----looks like Howards should is okay. --I hope that is the case
I noticed that too and commented here. I’ve just gone through 2 years of inflamed rotator cuff, bursitis and a frozen shoulder and the last thing I would have wanted to do was celebrate with my arms over my head. I’m not going to freak out about RH yet, but a year to get healed and stronger is the best thing for him

2 things:

1. I'm extremely worried about Robert's long term health now ... 2 shoulder surgeries a year apart is a bad sign. Prayers for a speedy recovery right now and that he can stay healthy going forward.

2. I'd rather redshirt Steen and send Baylor Shunk to the postseason next year if Steen isn't ready. If he's going to get 0 for us at NCAAs, there's no point in burning a year of his eligibility he could be using to get acclimated to college wrestling and lifting weights to get bigger.
Say hello to starting almost every dual in a 5-6 point hole

125 is a huge revolving door at Penn State. I expect another transfer soonish. I have no source, just observing the previous pattern Cael runs with at 125. May the best man win!

125 is a huge revolving door at Penn State. I expect another transfer soonish. I have no source, just observing the previous pattern Cael runs with at 125. May the best man win!
ADS will be our 125 next year I heard. Allegedly, he has decided to end his career with another Vision Quest similar to how he ended his HS career. Plus he's a free agent right now because he got kicked off of Iowa obviously. ;)

I'll preface this by saying that I am 99% sure it would never happen but could RBY make 125? No, I don't want him to go 125 but I would like to know if it is possible. RBY Vs Spencer would be interesting though.

• Haha
Reactions: PrairieHawk24
I'll preface this by saying that I am 99% sure it would never happen but could RBY make 125? No, I don't want him to go 125 but I would like to know if it is possible. RBY Vs Spencer would be interesting though.
If RBY was a Cowboy ... then yes.

But he's a Nittany Lion so no. RBY is close to 141 than 125. There's a reason he didn't even give OTT trials a go.

I thought that was because he wanted to help train Gilman and not because he couldn't make the weight. I could be wrong though.

I thought that was because he wanted to help train Gilman and not because he couldn't make the weight. I could be wrong though.
He said on Baschamania it would be a really tough cut and he might do a test cut with Gilman to see how it goes. That being said, Cael's MO has never been for his National Champion level guys to make some insane cut and be miserable all season.

He said on Baschamania it would be a really tough cut and he might do a test cut with Gilman to see how it goes. That being said, Cael's MO has never been for his National Champion level guys to make some insane cut and be miserable all season.
I agree. I hadn't heard the interview but now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Just heard in Rofkin that Howard may RS and sit out next year ( sounded more injury related) and that Gary Steen may be callled upon to start.
Stuff happens. Next man up. Iowa is plus 20 no matter who we send out.

ADVERTISEMENT