ADVERTISEMENT

10 February 1978: Jimmy Carter, Leonid Brezhnev, Bee Gees/disco, then THIS happened...

Here’s what the Billboard Top10 looked like that week... very few other times have we seen a boot-to-the-face/cataclysmic change like when Van Halen smashed the AOR radio airwaves

1 1 BABY COME BACK –•– Player (RSO) -18 (3 weeks at #1) (1)
2 5 SHORT PEOPLE –•– Randy Newman (Warner Brothers) -12 (2)
3 10 STAYIN’ ALIVE –•– The Bee Gees (RSO) -8 (3)
4 4 YOU’RE IN MY HEART (The Final Acclaim) –•– Rod Stewart (Warner Brothers) -14 (4)
5 6 SLIP SLIDIN’ AWAY –•– Paul Simon (Columbia) -16 (5)
6 8 WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS / WE WILL ROCK YOU –•– Queen (Elektra) -15 (6)
7 2 HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE –•– The Bee Gees (RSO) -19 (1)
8 9 COME SAIL AWAY –•– Styx (A&M) -19 (9)
9 11 JUST THE WAY YOU ARE –•– Billy Joel (Columbia) -12 (9)
10 14 (Love Is) THICKER THAN WATER –•– Andy Gibb (RSO) -13 (10)

Reactions: Locolion
Here’s what the Billboard Top10 looked like that week... very few other times have we seen a boot-to-the-face/cataclysmic change like when Van Halen smashed the AOR radio airwaves

4 4 YOU’RE IN MY HEART (The Final Acclaim) –•– Rod Stewart (Warner Brothers) -14 (4)
Man, what a bunch of sappy songs for a top ten. Not a Van Halen fan at all but that must have been some jolt to radio LOL.

Man, what a bunch of sappy songs for a top ten. Not a Van Halen fan at all but that must have been some jolt to radio LOL.

The debut album simply taser’d the 1978 music landscape ... i am among those guilty if playing this album to death - alas I can’t tire of any of the tracks (even criminally-overplayed Eruption / YRGM )

Reactions: LionJim and jp3272

No kidding. Music is definitely a matter of personal taste (ear of the beholder, and all that), but, IMO, the music of Styx is something like the Ebola Virus. The mere presences of Styx on a Top Ten list makes it non-credible. If I contracted a "Baby Come Back" earworm, I'd be tempted to try Fentanyl.

All great songs; that's my era. That's when music was still music and not the inane soundalike garbage that infests the airwaves today.

Reactions: 91Joe95
All great songs; that's my era. That's when music was still music and not the inane soundalike garbage that infests the airwaves today.

Ain’t that the truth. Check out Classic Albums series and you gain appreciation for artists you never cared about. The most recent was Carly Simon’s No Secrets. Eng said back then there was no autotune so artists could not hide. The eng who recorded it said besides being a wonderful writer, her voice was pitch perfect over a wide range. Not like the garbage today.

Reactions: 91Joe95
No kidding. Music is definitely a matter of personal taste (ear of the beholder, and all that), but, IMO, the music of Styx is something like the Ebola Virus. The mere presences of Styx on a Top Ten list makes it non-credible. If I contracted a "Baby Come Back" earworm, I'd be tempted to try Fentanyl.

Wow, with all the great rock bands around back then, this is what made up the top 10? Geez, where was Tahoka Freeway when you needed them? (PSU reference for us old timers here)

Eddie Van Halen -one of the best guitar players. Loved the early era of Van Halen. Later on they went a little mainstream.

I was heading into my final term a PSU at the time.

VH is the one bad music call I made at the time. It took a few years before I learned to enjoy/appreciate them. (Well, except for Panama.)

At the time, I mistook them for a BTO knock-off.

MM: Do you favor Van Halen's stuff with DLR over Van Halen's stuff with Sammy? I have to say that I like both, but if I had to pick, it would be DLR.

MM: Do you favor Van Halen's stuff with DLR over Van Halen's stuff with Sammy? I have to say that I like both, but if I had to pick, it would be DLR.

Sam Halen is Top40 crap... remember being among the first to bring 5150 back to my turntable in Hamilton Hall and feeling betrayed after the first couple listens... simply horrible pop music... when I heard Sammy squeal “ ...only time will tell if we stand the test of time” i wanted to stab my eardrums

Sammy wrote: “ Why Can’t This Be Love?” A piece of crap .

DLR wrote: “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love” A hard rock masterpiece

Game. Set. Match.

Reactions: LionJim

It could be argued this top 10 would have looked different if not for this:

ADVERTISEMENT