10,000 on ignore, Book 181: The Days of Reckoning, Part 40.....

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Gallitzin State Forest, 7/20/21

221143593_10158811996389117_7139833188354766366_n.jpg

220876676_10158811996334117_1101466638185065037_n.jpg

220576995_10158811996759117_9040361064885230409_n.jpg

219461695_10158811996794117_7511356900883132530_n.jpg

219389938_10158811436824117_4666029753118079707_n.jpg

217828135_10158811436834117_7343205626493281904_n.jpg

217787828_10158811437344117_8674206350947834557_n.jpg

221227195_10158811437534117_6924114459430542697_n.jpg

219082057_10158811437564117_7207013210910061882_n.jpg

218604595_10158811437554117_4996222987900811279_n.jpg

217622368_10158811437749117_1239706922043548725_n.jpg

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Trump insurgents came within seconds of capturing 'nuclear football' on Jan. 6
Mark Sumner

During Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial, video footage of events on Jan. 6 revealed just how close Mike Pence came to falling into the hands of the people who were chanting for his execution. Fourteen minutes after the mob of Trump supporters first breached the Capitol, Secret Service agents led Pence from the Senate chamber and down a flight of stairs. He entered that stairwell just seconds ahead of the arrival of insurgents, some of whom were carrying rope or zip ties. Had those insurgents not been delayed through the actions of Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman, they could easily have been there to capture Pence and take him to the gallows waiting on the lawn outside.

But in addition to Pence, they might have captured something else that would have been especially problematic. For most of us, our electronic devices—phones, tablets, and laptops—are regularly trusted with our most confidential information. That’s one of the things that helps to make these devices our constant companions and among the most vital objects that we own. However, there is still information that’s considered too valuable, too sensitive, to be trusted to any electronic device, and one prime example was in the hands of a military aide who was with Mike Pence as he fled from the Senate.
That aide was carrying a small satchel, and inside that satchel was a book listing the locations of classified military sites, a description of how to activate and use the Emergency Broadcast System, a “black book” of pre-planned military actions, and a small card that contains the codes necessary to authorize a nuclear strike. That aide was with Pence at the top of the stairs in the video that was shown during the Senate trial.

The Jan. 6 insurgents didn’t just almost get Mike Pence. They almost got the backup copy of the president’s Emergency Satchel. Better know as the “nuclear football.”

As Reuters reports, concern over how close the satchel came to being captured by the Trump horde is calling for a review of just how the vital information is carried and secured. Some form of the football goes back to President Dwight Eisenhower, but it was concerns from President John Kennedy that created the system that’s still followed today. Both the president and vice president are closely pursued by aides who have the current information necessary to respond if the nation were to fall under sudden attack.

Following the events of Jan. 6, in which one of the footballs almost went into the hands of insurgents calling for the overthrow of the elected government, there’s a concern that this 60-year-old program may be due for some review. This wasn’t the only occasion in the last four years in which the vital information came under threat. An aide carrying the information on a trip to China got into what was described as a “tussle” with a Chinese official while Trump was having lunch with Communist Party leader Xi Jinping. That situation apparently required then chief of staff John Kelly to get into a “physical altercation” to secure the satchel.
Neither situation is particularly reassuring.

Exactly what the Trump mob might have done with the satchel had they taken it and opened it isn’t clear. There are procedures for changing the authorizations codes in the case a football is lost or stolen. However, the book of secure sites and the book of military actions—primarily military actions that the U.S. intends to take in case of an attack on the nation—are extremely sensitive and any data released from those sources could cause serious damage to national security. Had that information been captured, it would have been considered compromised even if the military wasn’t aware of any leaks of the contents.

Just what changes are being considered to better secure the information are not clear. But just as a start, securing the Capitol against future assaults by ravening mobs of Trump supporters out for blood is a good first step.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Pelosi vetoes Republican appointments of Banks, Jordan to House insurrection probe
Hunter

GettyImages-997124868.jpg

Yeah no, we're not going to put the virulently pro-corruption Clownshoes von Screamsalot on the committee investigating an attempted overthrow of our government.

After House Republican leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy chose Reps. Jim Banks and Jim Jordan as two of his five selections for the congressional committee being created to investigate the events of the Jan. 6 insurrection that rocked the nation, Banks himself immediately made it clear that he felt the purpose of his appointment to be the sabotage of the committee's probe by instead demanding it address all political demonstrations of the last year rather than only the one that violently broke into the Capitol, causing multiple deaths, in an attempt to keep Congress from certifying the U.S. election that would remove Trump from power.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is now rejecting the appointments of both Banks and Jordan. In a statement, she says she has spoken with McCarthy and "requested" that he recommend two other Republicans to fill those spots. Republican Reps. Rodney Davis, Kelly Armstrong, and Troy Nehls were not objected to—even though Nehls, like Banks and Jordan, was one of the House Republicans who voted to object to the election's certification in the hours immediately after the Capitol had been cleared of violent Trump rioters.

While Pelosi did not explicitly specify the reasons for rejecting Banks and Jordan, the reasons are self-evident. Banks' statement upon being nominated to the committee rejected the very purpose of the committee and vowed to unilaterally expand its scope by demanding the committee review Black Lives Matters-inspired protests while declaring that "Nancy Pelosi created this committee solely to malign conservatives and to justify the Left's authoritarian agenda."

Having made it clear that he believed his primary task on the committee was to weaken its focus and discredit its results, it's little wonder that Pelosi deemed him an unacceptably irresponsible choice.

The case against Jordan is also clear. After surviving revelations of complicity in the sexual assault of college athletes, largely through his own belligerence, Trump ally Jim Jordan became a go-to provocateur for disrupting Trump impeachment investigations, congressional oversight investigations, and any other probes of Trump administration malfeasance. He would be a natural Republican pick to attack and deflect any portion of the probe that touched upon the connections between the Trump White House, the organizers of the "March" to the Capitol, and the militia members who most engaged in violence during the attempt to block the transfer of presidential power. He has a history of rank dishonesty, intentional disruption, belligerent nonsense production, and general shitbaggery in past efforts to sabotage congressional probes, and his presence on this new, vital committee would immediately render it unserious. So he's out.

In what was likely a pre-planned response, Rep. Kevin McCarthy immediately announced that he would be pulling all five Republican-recommended committee members in response to Pelosi's rejection of the two saboteurs. This is consistent with all previous Republican strategies of blocking all congressionally backed probes of the Republican-backed insurrection.

The Pelosi response will likely be either to allow the committee to begin its business with no Republican-backed members or to appoint, as with her appointment of Rep. Liz Cheney, Republican members willing to buck their party's attempted sabotage of the probe. That doesn't mean she will be able to find such people; House Republicans have been thorough in retaliating against members who have gone against their fascist push to claim that the insurrection was not an insurrection, that it was not done by the Trump supporters who have now been arrested for doing it, and that the U.S. presidential election ought to have been overturned to begin with.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Republican Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.) on Wednesday blasted House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), claiming that he is working to block an investigation into the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol “at every opportunity.”

“There must be an investigation that is nonpartisan, that is sober, that is serious, that gets to the facts, wherever they may lead," Cheney told reporters outside the Capitol. "And at every opportunity, the minority leader has attempted to prevent the American people from understanding what happened to block this investigation."

The latest jab at the minority leader from Cheney followed McCarthy's announcement earlier on Wednesday that he was yanking all five of his picks to serve on the select committee probing the Jan. 6 riot after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) rejected two of his top nominees: Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Jim Banks (R-Ind.).....

odshowtime

Aug 17, 2017
I feel like alot of these posts are kinda rude and insulting to republicans. They have sensitive feelings and I think you should consider being more considerate of their thoughts and feelings.

Just a suggestion.

• Haha
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Key member of bishops' group that wanted to deny Biden communion resigns after Grindr use exposed
Aldous J Pennyfarthing

Just in case you’re wondering, masturbation is still a mortal sin according to the Catholic Church. The catechism calls it “an intrinsically and gravely disordered action.” But only if you’re doing it right.

For those of you who weren’t raised Catholic, you should know that dying in a state of mortal sin is a pretty big deal. According to the great doctors of the Catholic Church, including St. Augustine of Hippo and St. Thomas Aquinas, if you happen to go udders up in such a state you’re—and I believe this is a direct quote, translated from the original Latin—“****ed sideways.”

Similarly, the Catholic Church deems homosexual acts as “intrinsically disordered.” And while I haven’t (yet, anyway) participated in homosexual acts, I can’t imagine why they’d be any less tidy than heterosexual acts. It’s not like I’ve ever arranged my Hummels in neat, OCD-friendly rows while having sex. And, yes, I know that’s oversharing. I mean, why would you ever care about my Hummels?

So if, say, you’re a prominent U.S. Catholic who’s sitting in judgment over other U.S. Catholics, it might be a good idea to lock down your Grindr account so nothing like this ever happens …

The Washington Post:

The top administrator of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops resigned after a Catholic media site told the conference it had access to cellphone data that appeared to show he was a regular user of Grindr, the queer dating app, and frequented gay bars.
Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill has since last fall been the general secretary of the USCCB, a position that coordinates all administrative work and planning for the conference, which is the country’s network for Catholic bishops. As a priest, he takes a vow of celibacy. Catholic teaching opposes sexual activity outside heterosexual marriage.

Oh, and if the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops rings a bell, that’s probably because of this:

The Roman Catholic bishops of the United States, flouting a warning from the Vatican, have overwhelmingly voted to draft guidance on the sacrament of the Eucharist, advancing a push by conservative bishops to deny President Biden communion because of his support of abortion rights.
The decision, made public on Friday afternoon, is aimed at the nation’s second Catholic president, perhaps the most religiously observant commander in chief since Jimmy Carter, and exposes bitter divisions in American Catholicism. It capped three days of contentious debate at a virtual June meeting of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The measure was approved by a vote of 73 percent in favor and 24 percent opposed.

In fact, none other than Msgr. Burrill himself announced the vote tally calling for the pooh-poohing of our president.

Awkward.

More from WaPo:

The resignation stemmed from reporting in the Pillar, an online newsletter that reports on the Catholic Church. Tuesday afternoon, after Burrill’s resignation became public, the Pillar reported that it had obtained information based on the data Grindr collects from its users, and hired an independent firm to authenticate it.

According to The Pillar, “A mobile device correlated to Burrill emitted app data signals from the location-based hookup app Grindr on a near-daily basis during parts of 2018, 2019, and 2020 — at both his USCCB office and his USCCB-owned residence, as well as during USCCB meetings and events in other cities. … The data obtained and analyzed by The Pillar conveys mobile app date signals during two 26-week periods, the first in 2018 and the second in 2019 and 2020. The data was obtained from a data vendor and authenticated by an independent data consulting firm contracted by The Pillar.”

Okay, so I’ve had a bit of a bone to pick with the Roman Catholic Church ever since they assigned an abusive priest to our parish when I was in grade school. He’d offended before arriving at our parish, so I can only assume they did it on purpose. This all came out years after the fact, of course.

Also, if all masturbators are in a state of mortal sin, I imagine I should have several Costco-sized pallets full of Jergens Lotion FedEx’d to hell before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I assume there’ll be lots of takers, and my forward-thinking will surely make me the Duke of Hades. And I bet I’ll be able to gouge Burrill at the underworld bookstore after Satan disables all his apps, leaving him with nothing but dog-eared copies of 1950s men’s fitness magazines.

In the meantime, I’ll be supping on sweet, sweet schadenfreude as this story unfolds.

Stay tuned.