ADVERTISEMENT

“This airplane is designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys,”

Dude, it’s hyperbole but relevant

Too many corporate cultures emphasize short-term mileposts vs. long-term sustainability.... that’s precisely the condition that, outide of wanton criminal negligence, allows disasters to manifest

i completely agree with that. Most american business is about the next quarter and next year results and bastardize the accounting any way possible for years to get the bonus and then take a huge bad year once in a while where you put all the losses you hid in teh previous. very limited investment the past 10 years in continued upgrades as better to take the $100 million in profit and put it in your pocket than invest $30 million back in the company to improve efficiency.

In this case, Boeing employees knew there were issues during simulation and did their best to hide/lie about them to regulators. That's criminal misconduct given the consequences of faulty aircraft. Boeing doesn't need to be dismantled, but anyone involved with the design/approval of the 737 MAX should be facing criminal charges.
I'm not defending Boeing or employees. I don't know the details of what happened.

In my experience it's common for management to lean on product development people to meet deadlines and it's possible that people cut corners to meet those deadlines. That said, I've never seen management knowingly release an unsafe product. The risk is too great.

And like I said, 1 guy can raise a concern while 19 say it's not a big issue when you circle back to them. Do you listen to the 1 or the 19?

The worst thing is when executives are called in front of congressmen that take the opportunity to grandstand by claiming that companies put profits before safety. What a bunch of B.S. from political opportunists. Companies should obviously be held accountable for their mistakes. Even more so for premeditated violations. I'm just saying that the transgression isn't always so obvious without the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
If you've got people lying, more regulations are not going to fix it. Fundamentally, that is a different kind of problem.

It will if the regulations allow for more than trusting Boeing or any company at their word. You can have the last word - we don’t agree.

Burn it down to the ground. (Boeing, not the plane.)

:eek:

I don't think it's in our best interest to burn the world's largest aerospace company to the ground.

Fines that cost executives, employees, & shareholders are OK if warranted. But burning the company to the ground would be devastating to our economy and a lot of innocent people.

It will if the regulations allow for more than trusting Boeing or any company at their word. You can have the last word - we don’t agree.
What you are proposing doesn’t seem feasible to me. The only way regulators can NOT just trust Boeing is if they possess the same proprietary knowledge and IP that their Boeing counterparts have. In essence, we would have a shadow company in the form of regulators equivalent in knowledge and IP to Boeing. The cost to have that entity isn’t feasible.

I don't think it's in our best interest to burn the world's largest aerospace company to the ground.

Fines that cost executives, employees, & shareholders are OK if warranted. But burning the company to the ground would be devastating to our economy and a lot of innocent people.
There is no way Boeing will crash and burn. Some will get fired, as the CEO already did. Fines, lawsuits, added costs will hurt its bottom line and its shareholders. Some changes in processes will be made, including in government approval.

And the Max will fly again and have a long service time. Many planes have crashes in the first few years of services. Look at the Osprey military plane. Had numerous problems and was almost shut down. But now it is safe and is performing well.

I would certainly fly it once it is re-certified. It will get studied and tested more than any other plane flying, the pilots will get more specialized training than most aircraft, and it will be one of the safest planes in the air once its back in that air.

My bet is that just about everyone on this board that flies even occasionally will be on a Max in the next five years or so.

Calm down and let the process play out.

I would certainly fly it once it is re-certified. It will get studied and tested more than any other plane flying, the pilots will get more specialized training than most aircraft, and it will be one of the safest planes in the air once its back in that air.

I would fly it too.

i completely agree with that. Most american business is about the next quarter and next year results and bastardize the accounting any way possible for years to get the bonus and then take a huge bad year once in a while where you put all the losses you hid in teh previous. very limited investment the past 10 years in continued upgrades as better to take the $100 million in profit and put it in your pocket than invest $30 million back in the company to improve efficiency.
"Investments" in equipment don't materially impact short term profits.

A lot of companies in established industries try to keep R&D spending as a % of sales equal to or greater than their peers.

Companies are generally motivated to show improvement in year over year earnings. I agree that if things go bad they tend to use that opportunity to clean up the balance sheet so they can start clean going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT