ADVERTISEMENT

“The run by the Cerimele, the fullback...”

Derek Wake was on the pu punter like stink on a monkey.

It was great to see btn include Joe’s post-game interview with Lynn Swann. Joe was a good man with a huge heart.

It is rather amazing that even despite that game, due to lack of talent at Lb Wake became an OLB.

Destroyed the early years of his career. He had to battle back.

LdN

Now I’m even more confused. PSU had the ball at the pu 2, and Rashard Casey lined up under center. He rolled out and ran it in for the touchdown, suggesting that lining up under center is viable, which can’t be right.
Yeah, and on the possession before that they had 1st and goal from the 2 and ended up kicking a FG. That team was 5-6. I do get your point, though, sort of.

Watching the 2000 pu-Penn State game on btn now. Penn State had a fullback. I don’t get it.
Joe used a fullback and kept the QB under center. PSU descended into the dark years......now the BWI coaching advisory council demands a fullback and the QB under center.....you think you're confused?

Reactions: Zenophile
Joe used a fullback and kept the QB under center. PSU descended into the dark years......now the BWI coaching advisory council demands a fullback and the QB under center.....you think you're confused?

Well, we are never wrong, so the fullback and quarterback under center must be right.

Didn’t wake get nuked in that Miami game. 2000. Tore his acl or something out for rest of season.

Now I’m even more confused. PSU had the ball at the pu 2, and Rashard Casey lined up under center. He rolled out and ran it in for the touchdown, suggesting that lining up under center is viable, which can’t be right.

Uh, those were some of the worst Penn State teams in the history of the school. I wish I slept through 2000 - 2004. A shoe salesman could have run better offenses.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Uh, those were some of the worst Penn State teams in the history of the school. I wish I slept through 2000 - 2004. A shoe salesman could have run better offenses.
Due to stadium expansion, That was the first year I was able to get the quantity of season tickets i needed. Win or lose, we enjoyed the stadium, my seat neighbors, tailgating with friends, College Ave, the student section...Lets Go...PSU

Last edited:
Didn’t wake get nuked in that Miami game. 2000. Tore his acl or something out for rest of season.
2001 season opener, but yes. Got flipped trying to leap to block a punt, iirc. Even the Miami players were motioning to the PSU bench to come get him.

Joe introduced the shotgun with Casey in 2000, in the week leading up to the Purdue game. A needed practice distraction due to Adam T's injury the week before.
But, yes, 4 of those 5 seasons were awful, with '03 and '04 somehow even worse than '00 and '01.

Yeah, and on the possession before that they had 1st and goal from the 2 and ended up kicking a FG. That team was 5-6. I do get your point, though, sort of.

That team was sort of an enigma. Scored 3 points in first game, 6 points in second game, 0 points in 4th game and 6 points in 5th game (3rd game was against Lousisana Tech who I am not sure was even Div1A at the time). But just abysmal offense. Then Joe finally let up on the reigns a little bit and allowed Fran Ganter to actually call a real game and do some shotgun and the offense turned around a little bit.

And the loss to Toledo was the 'oh $hit' moment as up until that point, PSU never lost to MAC teams. Turns out Toledo was like Temple from a few years ago that ended up being a really, really good team with multiple NFL players on it so the lost in restrospect wasn't that bad, but still shocking.

The some injuries occured, a player or two thrown off the team.

And I got married on the Iowa loss Saturday. Remember watching the game with some groomsmen in the hotel room before going over to my wedding.

My friends and I affectionately referred to Cerimele as "meat and potatoes" since he usually did his job in short yard situations well, without flash, rarely lost yards but also rarely dazzled you. I suppose you could say that about many fullbacks but for whatever reason that's what we came up with at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT