ADVERTISEMENT

“Penn State hiring assistant vice president for diversity, inclusion, belonging”

I've read your posts for the past month or so. Same old, same old. You must have loved it back in the 50's. That doesn't mean I agree with the decision, but your response to most of today's complex situations is usually devoid of much compassion, understanding or thought. Things were so much better when people unlike you or me "knew their place" .
You've followed bob for a month and this is what you came up with?

It’s probably been said before, but creating positions like this are analogous to adding another referee.
If there aren’t penalties they’ll damn well find some.

Reactions: Thomas1945
It’s probably been said before, but creating positions like this are analogous to adding another referee.
If there aren’t penalties they’ll damn well find some.

You reminded me of that f*cking paper-pusher, horse-ass athletic integrity officer that Penn State had during the f*cked up sanction period. Unnecessary, total waste of money. F*cking bureaucrat.

...I hope the next hire proposes expanding the tenets of hard work, responsibility, loyalty, and truthfulness...
...but thas jes my opinion...

Reactions: sylvanialion
Back when I worked as an engineer at the end of my first year there was opportunity for all of us first year people 2 apply within in our department for the position of a retiring African American engineer. There were five of us that came in together that first year. Two white males one white female one Hispanic male and one African-American male. The African American male and I became pretty good friends since we were both College athletes and enjoyed other similar interests. I can also tell you he took the most days off and came into work drunk numerous times. He got reprimanded a couple times but when it came time for them to pick the person for the promotion you can all guess who it went to.
Way back in the 1960’s when I graduated PSU and went to work, there were jokes that this position was the Jewish position and that position was Italian position, etc., etc., etc. Many times it seemed that way. ‘til one of the Italian positions was filled by a Costello.

Reactions: bison13
This is probably going to get ugly soon. But I have a gay friend with a PHD degree and several years of experience teaching at the university level. A university position became vacant in the fine arts department that was tailor made for him. Instead it was given to a gay African American with a master’s degree and less experience, but at a comparative salary. In a remarkable moment of honesty, one of the selection committee members privately divulged to him that wasn’t chosen, despite being more qualified, because he wasn’t both gay and a member of a minority group. The lesson I guess is that one must check all the boxes except experience and competency.
As a hiring manager I can tell you there is pressure to hire and promote diverse candidates. I would hate to be a young, straight white male in today’s business world....their chances for hiring and advancement are pretty slim. I suppose some could say it’s only fair after all the previous years, but I’m not sure fixing racism with more open racism is the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and Ski
This generation are the biggest babies of any generation there has been in my lifetime, and I am 82 years old. I am so glad that there attitude wasn't around during WW2..
You mean back when there was a draft and men were forced to go into the service? Unlike now we’re it’s completely voluntary yet we still have a full army, navy, Air Force and marines. I’m quite sure that wonderful attitude of the mighty and brave greatest generation had nothing to do with not having a choice.

Reactions: PSU123281
The number of college administrators has grown a lot over the past couple decades and the cost of college has grown a lot because of that and other things. And we have an epidemic of unpaid student debt in this country as a result. Some people propose that the government should pay off the debt because it is too big a burden on the people. If anyone should pay off the debt it should be the colleges.

The cost of college has skyrocketed at the same time that the cost of access to education material has shrunk due to the Internet. Crazy.

I work in the Legal industry and all of our big law firm clients now have Chief Inclusion and diversity officers. It's always a AA guy or gal of course and I a just can't figure out their role 40 hours a week. Sure, make sure the firm is at least partially represented by minority EE's and the like, but what else do they do during the week?
Recruitment of a “sufficient” number of minorities, ensuring that a “sufficient“ number of minorities make partner, ensuring that a “sufficient“ number of minorities have a seat at the firm leadership table, ensuring that the thoughts and feelings of minority personnel are “sufficiently” incorporated into the firm culture, ensuring that the firm “sufficiently” engages with minority communities in the portions of the country it serves, ensuring that the firm “sufficiently” supports causes which are important to minority communities, etc. The list of BS objectives is basically endless. Mind you, know of these various and sundry objectives promote the provision of high quality legal services (you know, the actually job of a law firm). In doing this work, said person (who is often an attorney) bills no hours, provides no legal services, generates no revenue, and works one hell of a lot less hard than the average worker bee attorney at the firm. The better question is how any self-respecting minority professional who has put his or her self through school (much less law school) regards being placed in such a job as anything other than a tremendous insult to their intelligence, education and ability to perform actual meaningful work.

Recruitment of a “sufficient” number of minorities, ensuring that a “sufficient“ number of minorities make partner, ensuring that a “sufficient“ number of minorities have a seat at the firm leadership table, ensuring that the thoughts and feelings of minority personnel are “sufficiently” incorporated into the firm culture, ensuring that the firm “sufficiently” engages with minority communities in the portions of the country it serves, ensuring that the firm “sufficiently” supports causes which are important to minority communities, etc. The list of BS objectives is basically endless. Mind you, know of these various and sundry objectives promote the provision of high quality legal services (you know, the actually job of a law firm). In doing this work, said person (who is often an attorney) bills no hours, provides no legal services, generates no revenue, and works one hell of a lot less hard than the average worker bee attorney at the firm. The better question is how any self-respecting minority professional who has put his or her self through school (much less law school) regards being placed in such a job as anything other than a tremendous insult to their intelligence, education and ability to perform actual meaningful work.

Non-value added.

Reactions: MacNit07
...If anyone should pay off the debt it should be the colleges.

The cost of college has skyrocketed at the same time that the cost of access to education material has shrunk due to the Internet. Crazy.
In the future, the schools should have to co-sign the loans. With some skin in the game, maybe some of this madness would slow.

Perfect, I wouldn't change a word.

I've read your posts for the past month or so. Same old, same old. You must have loved it back in the 50's. That doesn't mean I agree with the decision, but your response to most of today's complex situations is usually devoid of much compassion, understanding or thought. Things were so much better when people unlike you or me "knew their place" .

I voted for Bob in the "Most Rational Poster Poll" last year mainly for his compassion, understanding and the thought he puts into his posts. I do think he has a bladder problem however.

The number of college administrators has grown a lot over the past couple decades and the cost of college has grown a lot because of that and other things. And we have an epidemic of unpaid student debt in this country as a result. Some people propose that the government should pay off the debt because it is too big a burden on the people. If anyone should pay off the debt it should be the colleges.

I left school In 1986 owing $12,500. In today's value, this is on par with average student debt ($37k). I don't think the problem is as bad as some say. I see that they often hold up an outlier to make their point.

This role is a complete waste of money. Inclusion cannot be mandated.

Reactions: Ski
Penn State is gaining a national reputation for lacking of diversity in its faculty ranks. For example, the Business school has 2 black faculty out of 150 total.

PSU doesn't need a director of inclusion, diversity, and belonging in order to hire a few more black professors.
In education, like in other fields, the best candidates for a job are probably not job hunting- they are recruited. HR recruiting is a job.

In education, like in other fields, the best candidates for a job are probably not job hunting- they are recruited. HR recruiting is a job.
Centre county is probably not the easiest place to get minorities to relocate.

This generation are the biggest babies of any generation there has been in my lifetime, and I am 82 years old. I am so glad that there attitude wasn't around during WW2..
It is a shame you are so blinded by the truth. Some day you will grow up and realize what a fool you have been.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT