ADVERTISEMENT

“Paterno” movie reviews

I know I'm not the only one, but I just don't get it. The opening salvo of this whole thing was the GJP , then the press conference blaring,
Penn State Graduate Asst. Witnesses Anal Rape In The Locker Room, with the poster boards of photos of Sandusky, Curley, and Shultz.
It seems to me that the witness didn't believe that, nor even Esbach, nor Sandusky's jury, probably not Spanier's either. How do they keep getting away with saying it's true?

Love the pic, Step. Also, using "retread" and "Ganim" in the same sentence brings a totally different image to my mind....
Good move, ensure protection at the end of a ten foot pole. :rolleyes:

S.I.A.P.

d908b1b8-bbf2-4c09-95b6-5ca4d80c5a48.jpg

Penn Staters for
Responsible Stewardship

April 4, 2018News and advocacy for
friends, supporters and alumni
of Penn State University

PS4RS PRESS STATEMENT ON THE RELEASE OF ‘PATERNO’
APRIL 4, 2018 ---- "Telling an accurate story of the Penn State/Sandusky saga should be considered serious business, given the complexities of an inconsistent witness and dishonest Attorney General’s office, a vindictive governor, numerous state child protection failures and the incompetence of Penn State leaders in navigating the crisis. It’s both sad and sickening that HBO Films and producer Barry Levinson deliberately ignored these factual cornerstones, in favor of a lazy piece of fiction intended for nothing more than ratings.

"In making ‘Paterno,’ Levinson copped out on the truth with a fabricated ‘fall from grace’ tale about the late Joe Paterno, arguably the least relevant figure – but, unfortunately, the biggest box office draw -- in the entire case. Over the last six years it has become common knowledge that Paterno never participated in, witnessed, or covered up a crime of any kind. In fact, accusations of a conspiracy within the Penn State administration to conceal information about Jerry Sandusky have been thoroughly disproven in a court of law.

"Prior to film production, Len Amato, President of HBO Films, refused a meeting with executives of Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship intended to share factual background about the Sandusky saga. At a time when the entertainment industry has been rocked by its own numerous sexual assault scandals, Levinson and HBO Films whiffed on their moral obligation to take an honest and truthful approach to such a serious subject. Hollywood has the power to be part of the solution, but unfortunately, with this misguided project, they have chosen to remain part of the problem."

Maribeth Roman Schmidt

This HBO movie is unprecedented in sense that the subject did not commit a crime, nor witness a crime, nor proven to know enough details about the crimes committed..yet here he is at the center of a crime story where fictional interactions will prove his culpability..crazy

Looking forward to the MSU movie along with the sanctions, fines, firings (oops, already had a few of those). I know it has been discussed many times here on the board but why has Paterno been so vilified while the MSU coaches are getting a pass?

Reactions: LionFanStill
WARNING! don't have any fluids in your mouth when reading this:

A tag line I saw said ‘The bigger the legend, the farther the fall.’ Barf.

Still, HBO makes Game of Thrones, The Soprano’s, Westworld, and Silicon Valley. This is nothing more than Golden Globe bait for Pacino who hasn’t done any worthwhile work in years. This will suck too.

David Weigand from the SF Chronicle isn't so generous about the film:

LINK

Levinson manipulates viewers by controlling information in service to the “big reveal” at the end of the film — a reveal that fails to have the intended impact on the story because the proper foundation was not established.

But, hey, if you’re going to make a half-baked film about a potent, exhaustively covered real-life event, make sure you hire Pacino to make your work look better than it is. Tossing in Riley Keough and Kathy Baker wouldn’t hurt, either.

Reviews and comments from writers I've seen seem pretty fair. Considering they are just summarizing what was already dished up to the public. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Many forget that. This is only a story because we built Joe up to be saint. (Non political) Let's say it was a Donald Trump-type figure, or even an average person, who was in the same situation as Joe. The story would have been 24 hours long and we'd since forgotten about it.

HBO has several college football titles under consideration for future production: "The many Trials and Tribulations of Foge Fazio" and "Todd Graham, A Candle in the Wind." and finally soon coming to a theater near you "Mike Haywood.....Now you see him....Now you don't."

First line: "It's hard to know that a rape happened."

The film shows Paterno dodging knowledge at every turn. He repeatedly refuses to read the grand jury's presentment, claiming he has real work to do planning football strategies. "Yeah, what's the hurry. Guy only fvcked eight children," his son Scott Paterno (Greg Gunberg) finally says, desperate to make his father take the situation seriously. Paterno's wife Sue (Kathy Baker) reads it and throws up. But Paterno — who was directly informed of at least one of these events by McQueary — insists that in some broad sense, he wasn't.

Paterno's comment on the shocking revelations: "Whatever this is, I don't understand it. It's garbage." And his statement about the scandal stuns for its refusal to concede that these events took place at all: "It's shocking if it's true. We're deeply saddened." Remember: He was told, directly, by someone who saw it happen, that it happened. But the film keeps his statements in the conditional tense.

Someone asked how we know the movie was going to be a shit show. Yeap.

Last edited:
This HBO movie is unprecedented in sense that the subject did not commit a crime, nor witness a crime, nor proven to know enough details about the crimes committed..yet here he is at the center of a crime story where fictional interactions will prove his culpability..crazy
...and the subject correctly handled the account of the witness, and that same subject was the only University official who said he wished he could have done more.

Reactions: LionFanStill
This is all so exploitative and offensive. I would cancel HBO if I had ever started to waste money on it.

Reactions: step.eng69
Local dopes on WNEP news this AM pumping up the film by labeling it the "Penn State" sex abuse scandal. F'in asshats. Methinks warrants a message to the station. Promoting it with the movie Chappaquidick.

Local dopes on WNEP news this AM pumping up the film by labeling it the "Penn State" sex abuse scandal. F'in asshats. Methinks warrants a message to the station. Promoting it with the movie Chappaquidick.
Call talkback and scream in your best fake heyna accent. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

SIAP: If not, can someone paste the article, I would, but difficult with my phone. Thanks
Link:
http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2018/04/for_millions_fictional_paterno.html

A PL opinion by Bill Mahon:
Bill Mahon worked in and taught strategic communications at Penn State for more than three decades and was spokesman for the university leading up to the events depicted in "Paterno." In his role as vice president overseeing communications, marketing, social media and advertising, Mahon worked with many of the real university employees, law enforcement officials and journalists portrayed by actors in the HBO movie.

"Presumably this film will not have the standard disclaimer. It has been described as a docudrama. What that will likely mean is at the 20,000-foot level the " docu" part of the story will be reasonably accurate. The "drama" part of the story will not rely as heavily on facts. But it's the "drama" part of the movie that will likely pack the most punch."

Reactions: Zenophile
I know I'm not the only one, but I just don't get it. The opening salvo of this whole thing was the GJP , then the press conference blaring,
Penn State Graduate Asst. Witnesses Anal Rape In The Locker Room, with the poster boards of photos of Sandusky, Curley, and Shultz.
It seems to me that the witness didn't believe that, nor even Esbach, nor Sandusky's jury, probably not Spanier's either. How do they keep getting away with saying it's true?

It is the match that ignited this entire thing. That Headline is combustible and the fact that the highly fictionalized and graphic GJP was "leaked" was clearly no accident.

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78
Not to rehash these debates from 5 years ago, but never thought I'd find myself in agreement with Skip Bayless.

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT