ADVERTISEMENT

“Next Gen Penn State members named and ready for input on next president”

And I wonder why no one sees all the highly qualified women “hanging around”? Instead they hire someone who looks no different from them. Or never looked for women or minorities to begin with. They just assumed they weren’t as qualified.

What if ken frazier hired someone who looked like him? That would probably be well received.

This process is doomed for failure and should it surprise us? No! Too many people involved but PSU is woke now and so inclusive. This is the same school that hired a guy who turned out to be in middle of a scandal several years ago. Barron was second choice. Won’t be surprised is a woman of color is hired. You heard it here first.

cynthia baldwin. o_O

Who specifically never looked? Don't just lay out meritless(no pun intended) claims. Are you saying back in the 40's and 50's? Are you suggesting a woman was never seriously considered or interviewed for the job Barron ultimately took? Do you know that? Barron was part of a contigent that hired a female AD, thats a rarity in sports, maybe to you that represents progress? Look, I hope they hire the right person not a certain color or gender. I think its weird to specifically advocate for them to not continue with the chain of "old white men." If old white man is more qualified, then that should be okay in a society that wants to be non biased. Mandating that certain ethnicities or genders are more considered than others for positions of power because of social justice "progress" seems like a lack of progress to me.
"Free white and 21" was a thing when I was younger. It was incomplete only in that it didn't also say "male".

I'd probably agree with your position except that our entire history says we that need to change something if we want to get to the point that only qualifications matter- and we aren't there yet. I hope that by the time my grandson and granddaughters are grown that this discussion has become a thing of the past.

Reactions: ram2020
I did so - read several posts up. You missed it apparently. I suggested Amy Guttman and Marie McInnis. We could t likely afford Amy but she is the best there is and maybe a provost on her staff would be someone to consider. Marie is outstanding and is an up and coming President from a smaller high achieving public university with a med school. She is a young, dynamic leader. Where are everyone else’s serious suggestions? Also I’ll add in John Fry from Drexel - he’s a financial guy, not an academician. He would be strong from a town and gown perspective and an education quality perspective. I could see Fry annexing College Ave. into a pedestrian avenue lined with bars , retail shops and services, restaurants,
Apartments and
Hotels, all of which would contribute through lease payments to the colleges income. It would also add much to the character and lifestyle of the students, residents, and visitors.
Thank you.

The net will be cast wide. If you would like to suggest candidates then please do so. I will be happy to play courier.
Purdue is the best fiscally run university in the Big 10. While Mitch Daniels is not a likely candidate, who is his second in charge? That is where Penn State needs to be looking. It's all cool and everything to be woke but this university strongly needs some real management and leadership. We have had two presidents that can't even be in public without being boo'ed or jeered. It really is a sad situation. The financial aspects need to be put in order. The money pit is beginning to dry up.

First interview question asked by Dambly. "How much do we need to pay you to do everything I want you to do?". Second question " Will you give your full support to the actions of the 11/9.11 BOT? ". Third question "Do you understand that this next gen committee is really just for appearances so we can publicly says others were involved, but your real allegiance is to me and me alone?"

First interview question asked by Dambly. "How much do we need to pay you to do everything I want you to do?". Second question " Will you give your full support to the actions of the 11/9.11 BOT? ". Third question "Do you understand that this next gen committee is really just for appearances so we can publicly says others were involved, but your real allegiance is to me and me alone?"

dambly:

efe167ab8a478c77809874ad5a6986f3b7734819.jpg

I’d nuke the place from orbit.

I imagine Penn State could pay one of dambly’s businesses ten times the market rate to get that done.

Fairgambit Enterprises would charge even more, but he’d take out Lock Haven University.

Reactions: bison13
Purdue is the best fiscally run university in the Big 10. While Mitch Daniels is not a likely candidate, who is his second in charge? That is where Penn State needs to be looking. It's all cool and everything to be woke but this university strongly needs some real management and leadership. We have had two presidents that can't even be in public without being boo'ed or jeered. It really is a sad situation. The financial aspects need to be put in order. The money pit is beginning to dry up.
Penn State alum Charlie Dent would fit the Daniels mold. Fiscal conservative, knows how to navigate state government, political centrist. He is a visiting scholar at UPenn.

Dear Penn Stater,

Beginning this spring, the Penn State Board of Trustees is embarking on its most important responsibility — to select Penn State’s next president. To hear from you, we have launched a Next Gen Penn State Survey as part of a month-long listening phase to garner community feedback.

In February, Penn State President Eric Barron confirmed his plans to retire in June 2022 at the end of his current contract, and the Board of Trustees established a Presidential Recruitment and Selection Committee to lead a phased search process, which will begin in early summer. This spring, a Next Gen Penn State Advisory Group, comprised of a broad cross-section of individuals from across the University, will focus on gathering community members’ input — through a survey, feedback form and small-group conversations — to help inform the upcoming search and selection process.

Beginning today, April 13, through April 25, Penn State students, faculty, staff and alumni across every campus location, as well as other community stakeholders, are encouraged to participate.

Take the survey: The confidential 10-minute survey is available here.

We value your insight and encourage you to take a few minutes to share your feedback on the characteristics, priorities and goals that are important to you for our 19th president.

For more information about the presidential search and Next Gen Penn State listening process, visit the Next Gen Penn State website. We thank you in advance for offering your input and helping to shape the future direction of our University.

Dear Penn Stater,

Beginning this spring, the Penn State Board of Trustees is embarking on its most important responsibility — to select Penn State’s next president. To hear from you, we have launched a Next Gen Penn State Survey as part of a month-long listening phase to garner community feedback.

In February, Penn State President Eric Barron confirmed his plans to retire in June 2022 at the end of his current contract, and the Board of Trustees established a Presidential Recruitment and Selection Committee to lead a phased search process, which will begin in early summer. This spring, a Next Gen Penn State Advisory Group, comprised of a broad cross-section of individuals from across the University, will focus on gathering community members’ input — through a survey, feedback form and small-group conversations — to help inform the upcoming search and selection process.

Beginning today, April 13, through April 25, Penn State students, faculty, staff and alumni across every campus location, as well as other community stakeholders, are encouraged to participate.

Take the survey: The confidential 10-minute survey is available here.

We value your insight and encourage you to take a few minutes to share your feedback on the characteristics, priorities and goals that are important to you for our 19th president.

For more information about the presidential search and Next Gen Penn State listening process, visit the Next Gen Penn State website. We thank you in advance for offering your input and helping to shape the future direction of our University.

Is selecting the next president really the bot’s “most important responsibility”?

No. But bringing back the statue should be.

At this point, restoring Joe's legacy shouldn't be the BoT's highest priority (and I'll go out on a limb and say that he would agree with that), but it would take them all of a half-an-hour.

At this point, restoring Joe's legacy shouldn't be the BoT's highest priority (and I'll go out on a limb and say that he would agree with that), but it would take them all of a half-an-hour.

oralcle is an idiot. Of course I wasn’t implying that restoring Joe’s legacy was the bot’s top priority. What we saw there is oralcle’s fear that it could happen one day.

In any case, hiring the next president is not the bot’s top priority from the standpoint of bettering our university and guiding it through its many challenges. Nothing is because that isn’t the bot’s objective. The bot is all-controlling, as we have seen time and time again. They will hire a highly paid yes man, not a first-rate leader prepared and, more importantly, empowered to make tough decisions that will make demonstrable improvements in the university’s bottom line, accessibility, and profile.

I would love to be proven wrong.

oralcle is an idiot. Of course I wasn’t implying that restoring Joe’s legacy was the bot’s top priority. What we saw there is oralcle’s fear that it could happen one day.

In any case, hiring the next president is not the bot’s top priority from the standpoint of bettering our university and guiding it through its many challenges. Nothing is because that isn’t the bot’s objective. The bot is all-controlling, as we have seen time and time again. They will hire a highly paid yes man, not a first-rate leader prepared and, more importantly, empowered to make tough decisions that will make demonstrable improvements in the university’s bottom line, accessibility, and profile.

I would love to be proven wrong.

I disagree. When it comes to matters of strategic direction, finances and affordability, and academic standing (and there are other areas that I've left out, but i consider these to be the most important) the president leads. The board oversees and approves. These folks don't spend enough time to deal with the day-to-day.

Now it doesn't take much for a board member or group to exert influence that works to the detriment of the university as we have seen. A president with some spine can stop or at least minimize that.

I disagree. When it comes to matters of strategic direction, finances and affordability, and academic standing (and there are other areas that I've left out, but i consider these to be the most important) the president leads. The board oversees and approves. These folks don't spend enough time to deal with the day-to-day.

Now it doesn't take much for a board member or group to exert influence that works to the detriment of the university as we have seen. A president with some spine can stop or at least minimize that.

I still don’t think the bot would empower the president to make radical decisions or would accept a president who challenged them, even if doing so would better the university. That’s just me.

Has barren made a radical decision that bettered the university? If so, did he push the bot out of their comfort zone to make it happen?

Reactions: 91Joe95
I still don’t think the bot would empower the president to make radical decisions or would accept a president who challenged them, even if doing so would better the university. That’s just me.

Has barren made a radical decision that bettered the university? If so, did he push the bot out of their comfort zone to make it happen?

That's a lot to deal with there. Bob, and it's hard to address it without knowing the dynamic between the board and the president. The kind of president that PSU, or any university, should want is one who insists on leading i.e. the president sets direction not the board. That's the way it works at most places. That's not to say that president's don't screw up, they do and ofttimes royally, or that the board can't make valuable contributions. But most boards want a president who leads. Any other relationship is bound to be dysfunctional, if not destructive.

Survey!

Hello,

On behalf of the Board of Trustees, thank you for your interest in the Presidential Recruitment and Selection Process.

The Board of Trustees has no greater responsibility than the process of selecting Penn State’s 19th president. We want our process to be inclusive and thorough and we will ensure the canvas for top candidates will be wide. We are asking for your input and thoughts to help guide this important decision and shape the future direction of our beloved university.

We have kicked off the "Next Gen Penn State" listening process with a survey. We hope our students, faculty, and staff across all our campuses, as well as our alumni and other community stakeholders will participate in this important step. We will use the collective input from this process to help guide our selection process.

The survey should only take a few minutes of your time and will offer us insight into the characteristics, priorities and goals that are important to seek in this search process. We are very interested to receive input from many key stakeholders and passionate Penn Staters.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Matthew Schuyler
Chair, Board of Trustees

Survey!

Hello,

On behalf of the Board of Trustees, thank you for your interest in the Presidential Recruitment and Selection Process.

The Board of Trustees has no greater responsibility than the process of selecting Penn State’s 19th president. We want our process to be inclusive and thorough and we will ensure the canvas for top candidates will be wide. We are asking for your input and thoughts to help guide this important decision and shape the future direction of our beloved university.

We have kicked off the "Next Gen Penn State" listening process with a survey. We hope our students, faculty, and staff across all our campuses, as well as our alumni and other community stakeholders will participate in this important step. We will use the collective input from this process to help guide our selection process.

The survey should only take a few minutes of your time and will offer us insight into the characteristics, priorities and goals that are important to seek in this search process. We are very interested to receive input from many key stakeholders and passionate Penn Staters.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Matthew Schuyler
Chair, Board of Trustees

Survey is simply window dressing / facade so claims can be made that opinions were requested before Dambly and Co. hire the president they have already selected.....

Survey is simply window dressing / facade so claims can be made that opinions were requested before Dambly and Co. hire the president they have already selected.....

I thought for sure they would sincerely want to hear from us (and people who smell like us).

I guess I stated the obvious and appreciate your humor.....

You‘re fine. The survey looks good, but I‘m sure it will have no impact outside of its cost.

Regardless of our input, the bot will hire who they want and will insist that he or she checks all of the boxes and is exceptionally well qualified to address all of Penn State’s pressing issues such that the university will be well poised for future growth and success.

• Haha
Reactions: 91Joe95
You‘re fine. The survey looks good, but I‘m sure it will have no impact outside of its cost.

Regardless of our input, the bot will hire who they want and will insist that he or she checks all of the boxes and is exceptionally well qualified to address all of Penn State’s pressing issues such that the university will be well poised for future growth and success.
I’m thrilled that with your most recent post, clearly you have finally realized that the BOT is composed of selfless, dedicated individuals. Their only goal in this selection process is the appointment of an independent individual dedicated to excellence in education and fiscal soundness. As we are all aware their superlative past behavior in virtually all instances can only portend complete success in the present search. In the immortal words of Alfred E Newman “What me worry”.

I’m thrilled that with your most recent post, clearly you have finally realized that the BOT is composed of selfless, dedicated individuals. Their only goal in this selection process is the appointment of an independent individual dedicated to excellence in education and fiscal soundness. As we are all aware their superlative past behavior in virtually all instances can only portend complete success in the present search. In the immortal words of Alfred E Newman “What me worry”.

In short, the bot’s got this.

“ world class leader.” Does anybody here think that the person occupying the job would fit in that category.

ADVERTISEMENT