ADVERTISEMENT

“Next Gen Penn State members named and ready for input on next president”

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — As part of a phased approach to select a new president for Penn State, the Board of Trustees is engaging the University community beginning this spring in a process to inform the selection of a world-class leader to be Penn State’s 19th president, when President Eric J. Barron retires at the conclusion of his current contract in June 2022.

An important step of the official search process, which will be led by the Board of Trustees’ Presidential Recruitment and Selection Committee, is a listening element that kicks off this month, known as “Next Gen Penn State.” As part of the search, the Board of Trustees established a Next Gen Penn State Advisory Group to seek input and guide community involvement in the search process over the coming months.

“The Next Gen Penn State initiative is a ‘listening phase’ of our process within which stakeholders from varying backgrounds and perspectives will be charged with actively soliciting input from all areas of our community to help inform the selection of Penn State’s next president,” said Board of Trustees Chair Matt Schuyler. “This is a critical step in the overall presidential search process, and it is an indispensable opportunity for community members to be involved. We are asking our community to help inform the Trustees’ Presidential Recruitment and Selection Committee in its choice of Penn State’s next leader, and this is a significant charge.””

TRANSPARENCY. o_O

WORLD.-CLASS. LEADER. o_O

So we have a COMMITTEE. o_O and an ADVISORY. GROUP. o_O . The leadering here exudes got-thisness. We are in good hands.

By the way, 47 people on the ADVISORY. BOARD. o_O , including James Franklin. 18 people on the COMMITTEE. o_O . Should be a smooth process.

By the way, 47 people on the ADVISORY. BOARD. o_O , including James Franklin. 18 people on the COMMITTEE. o_O . Should be a smooth process.

Remember how Gordo the Great said that he hoped that Tressel wouldn't fire him? Well, there you go.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — As part of a phased approach to select a new president for Penn State, the Board of Trustees is engaging the University community beginning this spring in a process to inform the selection of a world-class leader to be Penn State’s 19th president, when President Eric J. Barron retires at the conclusion of his current contract in June 2022.

An important step of the official search process, which will be led by the Board of Trustees’ Presidential Recruitment and Selection Committee, is a listening element that kicks off this month, known as “Next Gen Penn State.” As part of the search, the Board of Trustees established a Next Gen Penn State Advisory Group to seek input and guide community involvement in the search process over the coming months.

“The Next Gen Penn State initiative is a ‘listening phase’ of our process within which stakeholders from varying backgrounds and perspectives will be charged with actively soliciting input from all areas of our community to help inform the selection of Penn State’s next president,” said Board of Trustees Chair Matt Schuyler. “This is a critical step in the overall presidential search process, and it is an indispensable opportunity for community members to be involved. We are asking our community to help inform the Trustees’ Presidential Recruitment and Selection Committee in its choice of Penn State’s next leader, and this is a significant charge.””

TRANSPARENCY. o_O

WORLD.-CLASS. LEADER. o_O

So we have a COMMITTEE. o_O and an ADVISORY. GROUP. o_O . The leadering here exudes got-thisness. We are in good hands.

Ok. So, once the new President is determined the announcement could then conveniently say that this selection was a result of 'listening' to the 'informed' input of the community. Doesn't mean they followed it but suggests that this is the outcome as a result of it. Again, conveniently, an implied consensus.
Just like our ability to vote for Trustees so as to have input on how the University is run.

If there is one thing I have learned in life, it's that "committees" always make the wrong decision. They are going to have to find a person that appeals to the entirety of the group. Gotta think it's a minority hire, female? Gender(less)?

Reactions: Prindy
My guess is it’ll really be 3-5 people that actually choose the president but there will be a big show including a cast of 50 or so that will be trotted out for PR to show they care about opinions with regard to ‘diversity’, student, faculty, and alumni ‘input’, etc.

@Richard the LIONhearted , I can think of one person who should be on it, but isn't.
Sue Paterno would be a good addition to the committee but she isn’t named. From what I could see about half the committee members are female and I’m not sure how many are minorities as I don’t know who many of them are. It might be good for PSU to have a female president to change from the old white men tradition. We probably couldn’t afford Amy Guttman, but she would be terrific. Maurie McInnis would be excellent as well. I think it’s important that the next president come from a university which has a med school.

Reactions: sarasotan
More than the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

Sue Paterno would be a good addition to the committee but she isn’t named. From what I could see about half the committee members are female and I’m not sure how many are minorities as I don’t know who many of them are. It might be good for PSU to have a female president to change from the old white men tradition. We probably couldn’t afford Amy Guttman, but she would be terrific. Maurie McInnis would be excellent as well. I think it’s important that the next president come from a university which has a med school.

Here is a crazy thought, how about race and gender play no role whatsoever and the next president is appointed based on their merits. Segmenting out a group, in this case the modern day refrain: "Old white men" seems like a weird way to go about this. Wouldn't you cast as wide a net as possible in the hopes of landing the most qualified person? Or is that concept one of imperialism and oppressions?

What good candidate would want to work for this bunch? That’s how we ended up with the ass clown we have now.

Here is a crazy thought, how about race and gender play no role whatsoever and the next president is appointed based on their merits. Segmenting out a group, in this case the modern day refrain: "Old white men" seems like a weird way to go about this. Wouldn't you cast as wide a net as possible in the hopes of landing the most qualified person? Or is that concept one of imperialism and oppressions?

Merit? Do you think Indiana Fats was chosen on merit? After him I'd settle for anyone who wasn't an outright shit.

The article never mentions race- odd that you have- twice.

Reactions: Sproul
One would hope that you always cast a wide net to attract the best candidate based on merit. Strange that the best candidate is always an old white man.

One would hope that you always cast a wide net to attract the best candidate based on merit. Strange that the best candidate is always an old white man.
Yeah, good point. Just tends to be a lot of qualified white men hanging around these parts so.......let's just hire someone that looks different?

Last edited:
The article never mentions race- odd that you have- twice.
Yeah, the poster that I was responding ( that you failed to report) specifically said it would be a nice alternative to see someone hired that was not "old white man," i would hope you will admonish them for bringing up race(in a particularly racist manner mind you), but you won't.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Merit? Do you think Indiana Fats was chosen on merit? After him I'd settle for anyone who wasn't an outright shit.

At least barren hadn’t been indicted like first-choice SUNY Man. That’s something. 😁

The net will be cast wide. If you would like to suggest candidates then please do so. I will be happy to play courier.
I did so - read several posts up. You missed it apparently. I suggested Amy Guttman and Marie McInnis. We could t likely afford Amy but she is the best there is and maybe a provost on her staff would be someone to consider. Marie is outstanding and is an up and coming President from a smaller high achieving public university with a med school. She is a young, dynamic leader. Where are everyone else’s serious suggestions? Also I’ll add in John Fry from Drexel - he’s a financial guy, not an academician. He would be strong from a town and gown perspective and an education quality perspective. I could see Fry annexing College Ave. into a pedestrian avenue lined with bars , retail shops and services, restaurants,
Apartments and
Hotels, all of which would contribute through lease payments to the colleges income. It would also add much to the character and lifestyle of the students, residents, and visitors.

Last edited:
Yeah, good point. Just tends to be a lot of qualified white men hanging around these parts (wasn’t Barron hanging around FLORIDA State?) so.......let's just hire someone that looks different?
And I wonder why no one sees all the highly qualified women “hanging around”? Instead they hire someone who looks no different from them. Or never looked for women or minorities to begin with. They just assumed they weren’t as qualified.

Last edited:
This process is doomed for failure and should it surprise us? No! Too many people involved but PSU is woke now and so inclusive. This is the same school that hired a guy who turned out to be in middle of a scandal several years ago. Barron was second choice. Won’t be surprised is a woman of color is hired. You heard it here first.

And I wonder why no one sees all the highly qualified women “hanging around”? Instead they hire someone who looks no different from them. Or never looked for women or minorities to begin with. They just assumed they weren’t as qualified.
Who specifically never looked? Don't just lay out meritless(no pun intended) claims. Are you saying back in the 40's and 50's? Are you suggesting a woman was never seriously considered or interviewed for the job Barron ultimately took? Do you know that? Barron was part of a contigent that hired a female AD, thats a rarity in sports, maybe to you that represents progress? Look, I hope they hire the right person not a certain color or gender. I think its weird to specifically advocate for them to not continue with the chain of "old white men." If old white man is more qualified, then that should be okay in a society that wants to be non biased. Mandating that certain ethnicities or genders are more considered than others for positions of power because of social justice "progress" seems like a lack of progress to me.

ADVERTISEMENT