ADVERTISEMENT

“Giants' other Penn State rookie already plays 'beyond his years'”

LMTLION

Mar 20, 2008
I am both a PSU alum and a Giants fan, so I am in football heaven right now. Anyway, here is an article from Apple News / NY Post:

Giants' other Penn State rookie already plays 'beyond his years'
Saquon Barkley isn’t the only rookie out of Penn State making an impact for the Giants.
Undrafted cornerback Grant Haley has taken over as the team’s primary slot corner in recent games and has impressed the coaching staff with his progress.
“I think he’s a little bit beyond his years,” secondary coach Lou Anarumo said before practice Friday. “All the guys work hard and study film, but he just logs a little bit of extra time knowing that he has a bigger role now.”
Haley also has displayed “a good nose for the ball,” Anarumo added, totaling 23 tackles with two passes defensed in seven games (six starts).
“In college he showed that, he was a guy that’d be around the ball, Big Ten guy who faced some downhill running teams in that league,” Anarumpo said. “He definitely displayed that in college, so we kind of knew that had it in him.”
SEE ALSO
Giants' new cornerback helps give family the strength to fight
The 5-foot-9 Haley mostly has been used in nickel packages since B.J. Webb became a starter after Eli Apple was traded in October, but could the rookie eventually transition to an outside cover position?
“He’s still young and I think he’s learning,” Anarumo said. “There’s a lot going on inside, with the different calls and different things that he has to do. He’s done a good job taking control. There are some things where he’s been outside already, so yeah, we’ll see. He’s still young.”

Always thought he was a little underappreciated during his time at PSU. Was always in great position, and the current guys on the roster could learn a little a bit about tackling form the 5'9" guy.

I am both a PSU alum and a Giants fan, so I am in football heaven right now. Anyway, here is an article from Apple News / NY Post:

Giants' other Penn State rookie already plays 'beyond his years'
Saquon Barkley isn’t the only rookie out of Penn State making an impact for the Giants.
Undrafted cornerback Grant Haley has taken over as the team’s primary slot corner in recent games and has impressed the coaching staff with his progress.
“I think he’s a little bit beyond his years,” secondary coach Lou Anarumo said before practice Friday. “All the guys work hard and study film, but he just logs a little bit of extra time knowing that he has a bigger role now.”
Haley also has displayed “a good nose for the ball,” Anarumo added, totaling 23 tackles with two passes defensed in seven games (six starts).
“In college he showed that, he was a guy that’d be around the ball, Big Ten guy who faced some downhill running teams in that league,” Anarumpo said. “He definitely displayed that in college, so we kind of knew that had it in him.”
SEE ALSO
Giants' new cornerback helps give family the strength to fight
The 5-foot-9 Haley mostly has been used in nickel packages since B.J. Webb became a starter after Eli Apple was traded in October, but could the rookie eventually transition to an outside cover position?
“He’s still young and I think he’s learning,” Anarumo said. “There’s a lot going on inside, with the different calls and different things that he has to do. He’s done a good job taking control. There are some things where he’s been outside already, so yeah, we’ll see. He’s still young.”

Grant Haley was always in the shadow of Allen... because of Allen's larger than life personality. I'm glad he is doing well.

On another note... I'm curious what the dynamic when you have two college players on a team and then they both move to the same NFL team.

NFL is much more structured and compartmentalized.

LdN

Grant played 100% head in the game balls out football. He got everything he could out of himself. He has tremendous speed is bright, a focused hard worker and yes the guy can tackle. One of my favorites and I was thrilled when he got call. The Giants got a steal. Good for them seeing what we all got to see.

Again, no surprise to any of us who had the pleasure of watching him for four years.

I think PSU stars succeeding in big markets, especially NYC, really promotes the PSU program (and brand/image) and Franklin. I hope James leverages stories like these to recruits showing how we are producing NFL ready talent.

Grant Haley was always in the shadow of Allen... because of Allen's larger than life personality. I'm glad he is doing well.

On another note... I'm curious what the dynamic when you have two college players on a team and then they both move to the same NFL team.

NFL is much more structured and compartmentalized.

LdN

Allen is actually the opposite. 4 yr starter, all the physical attributes and has not done nearly as well.

Allen is actually the opposite. 4 yr starter, all the physical attributes and has not done nearly as well.
This is technically true but they drafted a saftey in the first round and signed a veteran 8 year starter this year. It may take some for time for him to regularly start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT