ADVERTISEMENT

“Can you wait ten minutes while we clear a few tables”...

my wife and I just arrived at a breakfast lunch place and there are at least a half dozen empty tables. Some have to be bussed, but nobody is sitting there. At least three without people or dirty dishes. The hostess asks us to wait a few minutes while they clear a table for us. We just got seated after 10 minutes.
Haven’t you waited In line at the waffle shop ever. Thing is you can’t tell if they are short until you get in there. Dining room is hidden from entrance

my wife and I just arrived at a breakfast lunch place and there are at least a half dozen empty tables. Some have to be bussed, but nobody is sitting there. At least three without people or dirty dishes. The hostess asks us to wait a few minutes while they clear a table for us. We just got seated after 10 minutes.
I usually view this as strike 2. If there are any screw ups in meal itself, strike threee and light em up.

Ever think the wait staff, bus boys, or cooks might be understaffed? Maybe a 6 month old got sick in the middle of the night and Mom needs to be there, or a cook just found out a grandparent passed. If you really have issues waiting for 10 minutes for someone to serve you breakfast, as opposed to not even having enough food to eat, then your priorities are out of whack in a big way.

Everything you post it could be 100% accurate. But they could also be standing around twirling their hair, playing a game on their phone, maybe one's in the back getting railed in the cooler? We don't know that. For every instance that you posted there is an equal possibility that they're just lazy motherfukers. No?

Reactions: psu1969a
I’m reminded of part of an Andrew Dice Clay skit:

Dice imitating a woman: “You’re supposed to be nice to people.”

Dice: “F*ck you!”

Reactions: Mixolydian
I'm wondering what you would do with that extra ten minutes that you would spend in line waiting. My life has never been so hectic that 10 minutes would upset my whole daily schedule. But, some people are a lot more important than me, and apparently their time is more precious than mine.

My daughter is one of those bussers. She's special needs, so the opportunity for a higher end job isn't in the cards. She gets the same wages as the waitresses ($2.83/hr) plus 10% of the tips. She's not making the minimum wage on most days. She dutifully goes to work and does a damn fine job. She invests her time for short return, just so others can get to their tables quicker and provide better service.

She worked on Thanksgiving, while others came there to eat. She told me how rude some of the people were. They were extremely demanding, barking orders to the wait staff as if they were their own personal servants. She came home pretty upset.

So, the next time you have to wait a bit, just figure a way to spend that extra ten minutes instead of taking it out on the rest of the world.

Everything you post it could be 100% accurate. But they could also be standing around twirling their hair, playing a game on their phone, maybe one's in the back getting railed in the cooler? We don't know that. For every instance that you posted there is an equal possibility that they're just lazy motherfukers. No?

True, but we are talking about workers being paid less than minimum wage who are dependent on tips to make a living, so although some of those workers may do what you suggest, I would put it a very small percentage of those workers.

Restaurants and retail establishments are always short staffed. If your impatience is uncontrollable, you should probably not patronize those businesses. Better for your health and everyone else's well being.

Put those 10 minutes to good use while you wait. Strike up a conversation with the hostess. Ask her what her degree from Pitt is in. Stick out the wait and most likely there is a free drink in it for you.

Put those 10 minutes to good use while you wait. Strike up a conversation with the hostess. Ask her what her degree from Pitt is in. Stick out the wait and most likely there is a free drink in it for you.

If I hit it off with the waitress, what should I do with the other six minutes?

To all the bleeding hearts who commented, Btfsplk! Check your reading comprehension. There were vacant tables. Good example of a restaurant that won't be around long. Now you know why the Original Waffle Shop is always so busy: good efficient service.

@Frabjous
When is a good time for a shit sandwich?
The moment you want to impress your girlfriend or others in the car at my expense. I could severe up a fine (20℅ / 80℅) shake, soft drink, etc.......80% drink, 20% other.

I worked as a curb boy for 4 1/2 years (HS & college) at one of the best restaurants in the valley in the 60's & 70's. To be hired, you had to provide several references. The owner was very was hands on with the staff and I respected him.

The establishment offered high end dinners and curb service. The restaurant bussiness is tough, usually didn't leave until 2am the next day ( after the curb shift) cleaning the floors, heavy rubber mats and rolling up the mats, stocking the beer and drinks and other commodity for business the next morning.....70 cents an hour + tips.

I swore I'd never work in a restaurant again. The 58 hour construction schedules I worked in my career was a good gig compared to the restaurant experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Everyone miss the part where he said this was TIC? Yeah? Ok....carry on.

Good grief. Sounds like a lot of you are jumping the gun here a bit. Unless I missed the part where the OP yelled at the busboy, cursed out the manager and kicked the stray dog in the parking lot.

The moment you want to impress your girlfriend or others in the car at my expense. I could severe a fine (20℅ - 80℅) shake, soft drink, etc.

I worked as a curb boy for 4 1/2 years (HS & college) at one of the best restaurants in the valley in the 60's & 70's. To be hired, you had to provide several references. The owner was very was hands on with the staff and I respected him.

The establishment offered high end dinners and curb service. The restaurant bussiness is tough, usually didn't leave until 2am the next day ( after the curb shift) cleaning the floors, heavy rubber mats and rolling up the mats, stocking the beer and drinks and other commodity for business the next morning.

I swore I'd never work in a restaurant again. The 58 hour construction schedules I worked in my career was a good gig compared to the restaurant experience.

Hands on? :eek:

Reactions: step.eng69
Good grief. Sounds like a lot of you are jumping the gun here a bit. Unless I missed the part where the OP yelled at the busboy, cursed out the manager and kicked the stray dog in the parking lot.

That doesn’t sound like the Ranger Dan I’ve never met!

I'm wondering what you would do with that extra ten minutes that you would spend in line waiting. My life has never been so hectic that 10 minutes would upset my whole daily schedule. But, some people are a lot more important than me, and apparently their time is more precious than mine.

My daughter is one of those bussers. She's special needs, so the opportunity for a higher end job isn't in the cards. She gets the same wages as the waitresses ($2.83/hr) plus 10% of the tips. She's not making the minimum wage on most days. She dutifully goes to work and does a damn fine job. She invests her time for short return, just so others can get to their tables quicker and provide better service.

She worked on Thanksgiving, while others came there to eat. She told me how rude some of the people were. They were extremely demanding, barking orders to the wait staff as if they were their own personal servants. She came home pretty upset.

So, the next time you have to wait a bit, just figure a way to spend that extra ten minutes instead of taking it out on the rest of the world.
She only gets 10% of her tips? That isn’t right! Those tips are for the waitstaff not the restaurant!:eek:

Reactions: JoeFi
True, but we are talking about workers being paid less than minimum wage who are dependent on tips to make a living, so although some of those workers may do what you suggest, I would put it a very small percentage of those workers.

So because they are paid less thay can finger **** in the freezer? Interesting. Guess we all rolled out of bed into 6 figure jobs.

Shouldn't they want to earn more by putting forth their best effort.

Note to self.....if you surf BWI while you wait time will fly by.......

So the next time I'm inconvenienced 10 minutes for something, proper etiquette is to go complain to a message board? Even on vacation? I've been doing it all wrong........

So because they are paid less thay can finger **** in the freezer? Interesting. Guess we all rolled out of bed into 6 figure jobs.

Shouldn't they want to earn more by putting forth their best effort.

They DO put forth their best effort which was my point. The first part of your post says all I need to know about you since I didn;t say or even imply anything like that. YOU thought that. :rolleyes:

id be interested to know which establishment this is, so as to keep an eye on this (or avoid) when we visit the family.

They DO put forth their best effort which was my point. The first part of your post says all I need to know about you since I didn;t say or even imply anything like that. YOU thought that. :rolleyes:

One you don't know shit about me.
Two you don't know shit about these people at this guys place. You assume they are the best workers in the world and don't believe they are capable of being complete ****ups.

So take your condescending emoji and shove it up your ass.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT