ADVERTISEMENT

“Can you wait ten minutes while we clear a few tables”...

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
my wife and I just arrived at a breakfast lunch place and there are at least a half dozen empty tables. Some have to be bussed, but nobody is sitting there. At least three without people or dirty dishes. The hostess asks us to wait a few minutes while they clear a table for us. We just got seated after 10 minutes.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
my wife and I just arrived at a breakfast lunch place and there are at least a half dozen empty tables. Some have to be bussed, but nobody is sitting there. At least three without people or dirty dishes. The hostess asks us to wait a few minutes while they clear a table for us. We just got seated after 10 minutes.
Ask for a $10,000 raise, and if they don’t give it to you take the new position.

It’s happened to me more than once. It never ceases to annoy me but I have problem with waiting, especially for breakfast. Of course my impatience annoys my wife.

The way you treat people in situations like this (who are usually making minimum wage at best) says volumes about your character. You are never too important to be nice to people and perhaps brighten their day.

Ever think the wait staff, bus boys, or cooks might be understaffed? Maybe a 6 month old got sick in the middle of the night and Mom needs to be there, or a cook just found out a grandparent passed. If you really have issues waiting for 10 minutes for someone to serve you breakfast, as opposed to not even having enough food to eat, then your priorities are out of whack in a big way.

The way you treat people in situations like this (who are usually making minimum wage at best) says volumes about your character. You are never too important to be nice to people and perhaps brighten their day.
exactly- one of the most important lessons you can learn- it's unfailingly a good way to judge someone's character

Two things...often the empty tables are assigned to wait staff that didn't show up or is short (un-hired). Lots of competition for wait staff in this excellent economy.

Second, there was some legislation that made tips and stuff taxable. I can't recall the exact details for reasoning as I read an article on it relative to management of eateries. Basically, it said that it necessitated the wait staff having to buss tables, as well as their normal duties. The result is that the wait staff is over burdened, especially at peak times.

bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Because the wait staff is over worked and underpaid, it is inefficient. If they pay more, it will go into the cost of the food. So there is a balance, especially risky for low cost food eateries like bob evans and IHOP>

Reactions: step.eng69

Waitstaff work in sections. Sure they can seat you at an empty table, but you'd never be served.
They need to keep the tables bunched together so a waiter can handle 4 to 8 tables at a time.
If they seat too many tables, then the kitchen can't get food out in time. Hence keeping it to the sections available.

And yes, there is a workaround but the workaround means worse service for everyone.

LdN

Waiting for breakfast never bothered me that much as it’s pretty much catch as catch can. I do get annoyed waiting long periods of time for dinner when you have a reservation. Cue the Seinfeld car reservation skit.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion

I take it you’ve never worked in FOH of a restaurant???

Really? A whole 10 minutes? OMG will the inhumanity never end.:rolleyes:

McDonald’s!

Egg McMuffins 2 - $4

Just be careful with their HOT coffee! :rolleyes:

Not a bad deal financially, but when I eat at McDonalds, for the next hour I must be sure to be near a bathroom or my car will never smell the same. Also, the bathroom I use must be off limits for another 15 minutes if it has a fan....45 minutes if it does not.:(

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Not a bad deal financially, but when I eat at McDonalds, for the next hour I must be sure to be near a bathroom or my car will never smell the same. Also, the bathroom I use must be off limits for another 15 minutes if it has a fan....45 minutes if it does not.:(

Egg McMuffins, fish sandwiches and occasionally a small order of fries, along with a drink, that’s it for McDonald’s.

If I want a burger, it’s a visit to Burger King or maybe Steak & Shake.

Egg McMuffins, fish sandwiches and occasionally a small order of fries, along with a drink, that’s it for McDonald’s.

If I want a burger, it’s a visit to Burger King or maybe Steak & Shake.

I do like their Fish and fries and I can put away a Big Mac every now and then, but, for whatever reason, my intestines do not generally support regular trips to McDonalds.:(

Nice thread, lots of people who have worked in restaurants and know what it's like when you're slammed.

Great example of why all parents should make sure their kids work food service at some point in their lives. Almost as important as a college education.

For me, everything that I eat at McDonald’s taste IDENTICAL on the first rift. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Big Mac, Fillet-O-Fish, Egg McMuffin or a fuc#ing orange juice, it all tastes the same.

Reactions: step.eng69 and Art
I hate waiting too. Only thing I can suggest that I do is go as early as you can hope that helps

You should show them,,,,walk out, go home and make you own breakfast.

Did you never call out of work? Did your customers go ballistic because you called out. How dare your get sick or take a day off or go on vacation.

I just hope this wasn’t at my place in Myrtle lol.

Seriously breakfast places are more busy than dinner places so of course they go on a wait. Be patient. We know your hangry.

The amount of people we turn over at breakfast in the summer is far greater than a dinner place.

And yes callouts and no shows happen all the time. All restaurants do their best to cover and plan for this but some days there are multiple callouts. Heck i live at the beach in a party town. The people there are not the most reliable.

Last edited:

This is an excellent point. I have found that, when these situations occur, if I’m understanding and kind, I benefit because I feel much better about myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT