ADVERTISEMENT

Zain vs Metcalf

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
I know Metcalf has a few years on Zain, but after watching Zain annihilate the competition at the NCAA tournament, I can't help but to wonder how they would match up. One thing I've noticed is that Metcalf has not completely changed from the Iowa style of wrestling which involves a lot of tight tie-ups and pushing. I honestly don't think that approach works as well against international opponents. They seem much more adapted to finding openings and attacking the legs. Zain's style against Sorenson was a lot closer to what you would see from a Russian or Iranian wrestler.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Zain can't beat Pico, Pico can't beat Metcalf. I think Zain will be the US representative for the next Olympic cycle, but not this one.

Reactions: lionlover
This question should be Zain vs Pico. I really want to see how much he's narrowed the gap against Pico.

Zain can't beat Pico, Pico can't beat Metcalf. I think Zain will be the US representative for the next Olympic cycle, but not this one.

You left out Oliver as well who beats Zain, also wouldn't Logie be a strong competitor in 2020?

Last edited:
You left out Oliver as well who beats Zain, also wouldn't Logie be a strong competitor in 2020?

Logan is improving very quickly and I think he will leave Oliver behind him, possibly as soon as this years trials. In my opinion, if anyone can beat Metcalf it's him. I do, however, feel as if Zain will surpass Logan in the next four years. We've already seen Zain beat him and I think that Zain's physicality, as well as technique, will put Zain over the top.

Last edited:
I know Metcalf has a few years on Zain, but after watching Zain annihilate the competition at the NCAA tournament, I can't help but to wonder how they would match up. One thing I've noticed is that Metcalf has not completely changed from the Iowa style of wrestling which involves a lot of tight tie-ups and pushing. I honestly don't think that approach works as well against international opponents. They seem much more adapted to finding openings and attacking the legs. Zain's style against Sorenson was a lot closer to what you would see from a Russian or Iranian wrestler.

Zain vs Metcalf in Freestyle, right now would go to Metcalf.

Zain vs Metcalf in Folkstyle, how much are tickets? I would pay good money to see that one. I think Zain would take him today because Metcalf if focused on Freestyle. In Metcalf's hey day's in college too tough to call, would really fork out the dough to see that one though.

Logan is improving very quickly and I think he will leave Oliver behind him, possibly as soon as this years trials. In my opinion, if anyone can beat Metcalf it's him. I do, however, feel as if Zain will surpass Logan in the next four years. We've already seen Zain beat him and I think that Zain's physicality, as well as technique, will put Zain over the top.

This. I think if anybody can beat Metcalf, it would be Streibler. I don't think Zain beats Metcalf. On their feet, Metcalf is just more physical and bigger than Zain. Pico came out and tried to outphysical Metcalf at Agon and it just didn't work. Metcalf does what Pico does...except he does it better. However, once Zain is wrestling freestyle full time in a few years, he is going to be a tough one.

Striebler, like J.O., can get in underneath Metcalf's head/hands but has the strength and athletic ability to scramble and finish it off. Green as well if he can handle the cut. Still don't think it happens but it should be fun.

Last edited:
Whether or not he wins the trials, Stieber got the bronze.

IMG_6890.JPG

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT