ADVERTISEMENT

Zain Train / Harvey's Lake

Interesting, very little exists of Hansen's. And yes, close to Noxen (formerly known for the rattlesnake round up)

At one time, the Lehigh Valley Railroad ran a branch line to Noxen (the station still exists and was restored) and not only did Hansen's have the park train, but they had the the "real thing" running through the park.

Go to about 7:00

I think I heard about the travails of Zain's dad trying to balance working on the railroad with getting his son to tournaments-not an easy trick given the irregularity of railroad work.

If my memory serves me correctly, we have additional proof of theory that every railroader is a poorly closeted "foamer" (foams at the mouth when a train goes by-also known as an FRN or beeping rail nut); even though they will all deny it. Full disclosure, I used to drive two hours to be a volunteer, so I know of what I speak.

Hansen's was one of several now long gone NEPA amusement parks (San Souci, between Wilkes and Hazleton; Angela Park, just North of Hazleton and Rocky Glen/Ghost Town in Moosic). Now all that's left is Knobel's which has a smaller park train and a short drive from Benton.

About 30 years ago, I went to the remains to see the Stone Temple Pilots/other group there before all the concerts migrated to Montage or the Wilkes Barre hub arena.

Interesting, very little exists of Hansen's. And yes, close to Noxen (formerly known for the rattlesnake round up)

At one time, the Lehigh Valley Railroad ran a branch line to Noxen (the station still exists and was restored) and not only did Hansen's have the park train, but they had the the "real thing" running through the park.

Go to about 7:00

I think I heard about the travails of Zain's dad trying to balance working on the railroad with getting his son to tournaments-not an easy trick given the irregularity of railroad work.

If my memory serves me correctly, we have additional proof of theory that every railroader is a poorly closeted "foamer" (foams at the mouth when a train goes by-also known as an FRN or beeping rail nut); even though they will all deny it. Full disclosure, I used to drive two hours to be a volunteer, so I know of what I speak.

Hansen's was one of several now long gone NEPA amusement parks (San Souci, between Wilkes and Hazleton; Angela Park, just North of Hazleton and Rocky Glen/Ghost Town in Moosic). Now all that's left is Knobel's which has a smaller park train and a short drive from Benton.

About 30 years ago, I went to the remains to see the Stone Temple Pilots/other group there before all the concerts migrated to Montage or the Wilkes Barre hub arena.
I was tripping balls at the 1993 STP concert in Wilkes Barre .

We have a board member that was a councilman serving Harveys Lake.

Former Clairion head coach Jack Davis lives at the Lake. He can beat me in arm wrestling and solemn skiing.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
My wife's cousin, husband, and son live on the lake. Perhaps you know their latkes. The son now runs "Jones Potato Pancakes." I believe Terry was Harvey Lake's tax man for years.

I have visited their lake house a few times. However, I've only ever seen the amusement park in its dilapidated state.

Reactions: hlstone
He can beat me in arm wrestling and solemn skiing.
615b31585d3d3.image.jpg

My wife's cousin, husband, and son live on the lake. Perhaps you know their latkes. The son now runs "Jones Potato Pancakes." I believe Terry was Harvey Lake's tax man for years.

I have visited their lake house a few times. However, I've only ever seen the amusement park in its dilapidated state.
Wonderful family and they have the coolest house on the lake.

It's awesome to reminisce about those good ol' days. If you're looking for more fantastic lake experiences, check out https://www.mklibrary.com/lake-clementine/. They've got this incredible Lake Clementine Guide to Summer Fun that might just reignite that same nostalgic joy. Exploring new places and creating fresh memories is always a blast, especially by the water!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT