ADVERTISEMENT

Zain Retherford's performance today...

amalone

Oct 12, 2005
Zain Retherford is an animal. I'd like to think he's of this world... but he's not. Alec Pantaleo did everything in his power today to slow the match down and Zain stalked him the entire length of the match and took it to him as if he took it personal that Pantaleo didn't come to participate. Zain on top pounded on a top 10 wrestler as if was child's play and we as fans of course knew what was going to happen. We've seen it with the best in the 149 weight class with seemingly... ease.

Remember that Alec Pantaleo has a build similar to Frank Molinaro, but not as big or solid. Zain out powered him, darted in for takedowns that took a millisecond to take Pantaleo to the mat and then mauled him to his back at the end of the 2nd and then rearranged his body to flatten Pantaleo on the mat at the 6:35 mark of the 3rd. Pantaleo's face and body were beaten red from the pounding Zain inflicted on him. Zain left the #6 kid in the country looking like he just got mauled. Well... he did.

Zain Retherford should be listed as a dangerous weapon on a wrestling mat. He's not of this world.

Then there was Jason Nolf and Bo Nickal. Nickal's opponent didn't make it out of the 1st and Nolf's opponent didn't look like he'd take his shoulder back to Michigan with him after the match. Brutal domination and submissive power.

Oh... and after ZPain's fall... the roof came down!!! It was so loud... the person next to me said something after the match and I didn't hear a thing... the sound in Rec Hall was that thunderous. Wow...

Last edited:
Pantaleo looks like a very powerful kid. He looked MUCH bigger than Zain, but like Amalone said, that didn't matter one bit. Zain is just punishing everyone he faces.

Courtesy of Reading Rambler on BSD (aka Biglerville on FOS):

zain_tombstone_pantaleo.jpg

Zain Retherford is an animal. I'd like to think he's of this world... but he's not. Alec Pantaleo did everything in his power today to slow the match down and Zain stalked him the entire length of the match and took it to him as if he took it personal that Pantaleo didn't come to participate. Zain on top pounded on a top 10 wrestler as if was child's play and we as fans of course knew what was going to happen. We've seen it with the best in the 149 weight class with seemingly... ease.

Remember that Alec Pantaleo has the build similar to Frank Molinaro, but not as big or solid. Zain out powered him, darted in for takedowns that took a millisecond to get Pantaleo to the mat and then mauled him to his back at the end of the 2nd and then rearranged his body to flatten Pantaleo on the mat at the 6:35 mark of the 3rd. Pantaleo's face and body were beaten red from the pounding Zain inflicted on him. Zain left the #6 kid in the country looking like he just got mauled. Well... he did.

Zain Retherford should be listed as a dangerous weapon on a wrestling mat. He's not of this world.

Then there was Jason Nolf and Bo Nickal. Nickal's opponent didn't make it out of the 1st and Nolf's opponent didn't look like he'd take his shoulder back to Michigan with him after the match. Brutal domination and submissive power.

Oh... and after ZPain's fall... the roof came down!!! It was so loud... the person next to me said something after the match and I didn't hear a thing... the sound in Rec Hall was that thunderous. Wow...

Quick question - I was not at match and was listening to the call by Ironhead on Penn State Sports Network (also read the summary posted by Tim Owens). Zain's pin was described as a "Bow & Arrow" ride which turned him. I wrestled, so I know what the "Bow & Arrow" ride would describe with Zain driving into Pantaleo's side with his head while having his leg controlled with one arm (via hooking his knee) and the other arm wrapped around Pantaleo's neck (potentially via a half or by just directly wrapping around neck and pulling toward him). Typically, you finish a Bow & Arrow with a cradle by collapsing opponent by driving through and bringing the hands together and hook the non-cradled leg as you turn opponent. Is that what Zain did in 3rd? The description was just "Bow & Arrow ride".....not Bow & Arrow to cradle, so I was a little confused as to exactly how he pinned him.

Quick question - I was not at match and was listening to the call by Ironhead on Penn State Sports Network (also read the summary posted by Tim Owens). Zain's pin was described as a "Bow & Arrow" ride which turned him. I wrestled, so I know what the "Bow & Arrow" ride would describe with Zain driving into Pantaleo's side with his head while having his leg controlled with one arm (via hooking his knee) and the other arm wrapped around Pantaleo's neck (potentially via a half or by just directly wrapping around neck and pulling toward him). Typically, you finish a Bow & Arrow with a cradle by collapsing opponent by driving through and bringing the hands together and hook the non-cradled leg as you turn opponent. Is that what Zain did in 3rd? The description was just "Bow & Arrow ride".....not Bow & Arrow to cradle, so I was a little confused as to exactly how he pinned him.

Here's how Zain pinned Pantaleo. Very simple. First 5 seconds will show you the two turns Zain used. Used more by Morgan McIntosh to turn opponents than Zain. Zain used it to perfection and cited Morgan's use of it in his post match interview with Ironhead.

he had the bow and arrow with a claw, once he got back points it looked like he repositioned himself slightly - getting a little more chest on chest and pushing opponents shoulder threw, figured 4 the leg and maintained the claw for the pin. Watched it quickly on btn2go on my iphone while coaching some little kids...

Reactions: amalone
Here's how Zain pinned Pantaleo. Very simple. First 5 seconds will show you the two turns Zain used. Used more by Morgan McIntosh to turn opponents than Zain. Zain used it to perfection and cited Morgan's use of it in his post match interview with Ironhead.

Frank the Tank liked it as well...

Zain's first takedown was so quick I genuinely thought that my stream had skipped ahead, until I heard Byers remark on how fast it was.

BTW, Byers asked Zain about the white singlets, and Zain commented that he wasn't a fan because he had to wear white underwear. Hilarious.

Never happy to see injuries i.e. Mahomes (hope just a tweaked knee) hope he is OK. However with Steiber recovering from multiple surgeries and dinged, along with the way Zpain is mulling/wrestling, I believe it is unsafe for Steiber to wrestle Friday. If Ryan wrestles him I would consider it coaching malpractice.

Reactions: mjmirv
i'm sure Ryan would like to fit Snyder in at '49...... seriously, hope he keeps it up... really, really focused. Cael's comments that he is going to be better next and the next.... we may be getting spoiled!! :)

How do you defend this move? Don't give up the leg if you know your opponent does this move?

No, Zain did exactly what was shown in the video and then he, well, just read amshaffer's post.

Traditionally, this ride in Folkstyle is also referred to as a "Bow and Arrow" used to generate a "Bow and Arrow to Cradle": Hit the link

The move shown by Amalone is an adaption of a "Freestyle Bow & Arrow" - in freestyle, you would typically lay your shin across opponents thigh just above knee while opponent is broken down flat on mat. Then you reach back and grab opponent's ankle pulling it straight toward you with back arm. With forward arm (depends on which side of opponent you are on), you reach under opponents neck and wrap around to far shoulder, tuck head to far side and roll through (see THIS LINK). The true Freestyle move is illegal in both Collegiate and HS Folkstyle wrestling; however, the move was adapted (not sure by who) for use in Folkstyle - the riding wrestler hooks the leg high around the thigh whith his leg (instead of kneeling across thigh) then reaches back and lifts ankle. The "adaption" of the Freestyle Bow & Arrow is only permitted at collegiate level I believe and is illegal at the HS Folkstyle level.

In other words, there are two moves referred to as a "Bow and Arrow" ride in Folkstyle - the traditional "Bow and Arrow" ride or "Bow and Arrow to cradle"......and the "Adapted Freestyle Bow and Arrow" ride (which again is only legal in Folkstyle at the collegiate level I believe).

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
The true Freestyle move is illegal in both Collegiate and HS Folkstyle wrestling; however, the move was adapted (not sure by who) for use in Folkstyle - the riding wrestler hooks the leg high around the thigh whith his leg (instead of kneeling across thigh) then reaches back and lifts ankle. The "adaption" of the Freestyle Bow & Arrow is only permitted at collegiate level I believe and is illegal at the HS Folkstyle level.

Not sure, but I believe Dave Schultz may have adapted the move. Then passed it on to Dave Lee, when he was coaching at Whiskey, who used it to great success. Some of you may remember the IOWA Public Television tapes -- well, one of them shows Dave Lee applying the move repeatedly to Bart Chelesvig when he was a true freshman. You could hear him literally howling in pain each time the move was applied.

Kind of amazing that Zain's waited this long to use the bow and arrow, given its capacity for pain, and that Zain spends at least half of every match riding top. Maybe he has used it before but I don't think in the same way he used it yesterday, which was very similar to how Morgan uses it.

Some clarification from a coach who teaches this move and learned it from THE Dave Schultz and Dale Bonsall:

In Folkstyle, the top wrestler cannot reach back and grab the heel of the foot with the toes laying on your bicep as shown in the video above. This is illegal in Folkstyle, but legal in Freestyle. The reason being is that you if you twist the ankle clockwise or counter clockwise quickly, you can break a person's ankle.

However, you can reach back and grab the foot at the shoelaces (palm the foot with a "claw grip") and perform the same move. This is not grabbing the heel and trapping the toes to your biceps and thus LEGAL in Folkstyle. This is what Zain did and many other wrestlers have done in the past.

Also the person showing the move above is not as effective with his left hand. The move above shows the top wrestlers coming across the bottom wrestlers throat. Youth wrestlers and some high school wrestlers will fake a choking and try and get a potentially dangerous call to stop the match for a reset from bottom. Ideally you want to use a far claw with your left hand that comes under your opponents arms and grabs the far shoulder. This will also keep his left shoulder closer to the mat and can even drop your left hand and pull your opponents right arm up. You can get your 5-count and then release the claw and turn it into a bar driving your left elbow into your opponents chest for a pin.

Hope that clarified everything.

Reactions: lionlover
Traditionally, this ride in Folkstyle is also referred to as a "Bow and Arrow" used to generate a "Bow and Arrow to Cradle": Hit the link

The move shown by Amalone is an adaption of a "Freestyle Bow & Arrow" - in freestyle, you would typically lay your shin across opponents thigh just above knee while opponent is broken down flat on mat. Then you reach back and grab opponent's ankle pulling it straight toward you with back arm. With forward arm (depends on which side of opponent you are on), you reach under opponents neck and wrap around to far shoulder, tuck head to far side and roll through (see THIS LINK). The true Freestyle move is illegal in both Collegiate and HS Folkstyle wrestling; however, the move was adapted (not sure by who) for use in Folkstyle - the riding wrestler hooks the leg high around the thigh whith his leg (instead of kneeling across thigh) then reaches back and lifts ankle. The "adaption" of the Freestyle Bow & Arrow is only permitted at collegiate level I believe and is illegal at the HS Folkstyle level.

In other words, there are two moves referred to as a "Bow and Arrow" ride in Folkstyle - the traditional "Bow and Arrow" ride or "Bow and Arrow to cradle"......and the "Adapted Freestyle Bow and Arrow" ride (which again is only legal in Folkstyle at the collegiate level I believe).
the first link is refered to as head in the side cradle lmao

Kind of amazing that Zain's waited this long to use the bow and arrow, given its capacity for pain, and that Zain spends at least half of every match riding top. Maybe he has used it before but I don't think in the same way he used it yesterday, which was very similar to how Morgan uses it.

Zain was using the bow-and-arrow with great success on the freestyle circuit over this past Spring/Summer. For whatever reason, haven't seen it much during the college season up until now.

Zain was using the bow-and-arrow with great success on the freestyle circuit over this past Spring/Summer. For whatever reason, haven't seen it much during the college season up until now.

Don't tell anyone over at Hawkeye Report, but Sorenson could become the first person to fall victim to Zain's Bow and Arrow in both Freestyle and Folkstyle.

The other similar move that can be very effective against "the flounder" defense is the Turk first and then the claw... Initiating the Turk by putting upper body on opponent's back and occupying head neck with head-side arm and forearm. Then lifting opponent's leg with leg-side arm and slip your leg through to far side to establish Turk. Claw is established the same way as adapted Freestyle Bow & Arrow. Then you drive opponent over by holding far shoulder in place with claw and driving him over at hips with Turk hooking trailing leg as you drive through.

Remember that Alec Pantaleo has a build similar to Frank Molinaro, but not as big or solid. Zain out powered him, darted in for takedowns that took a millisecond to take Pantaleo to the mat and then mauled him to his back at the end of the 2nd and then rearranged his body to flatten Pantaleo on the mat at the 6:35 mark of the 3rd. Pantaleo's face and body were beaten red from the pounding Zain inflicted on him. Zain left the #6 kid in the country looking like he just got mauled. Well... he did.

I thought it was a pretty poor performance for Zain, he got taken down

I think you will see it more as guys/coaches scout his early season matches. Pantaelo clearly wasnt about to let his arm get behind his back to the point of stalling (in my opinion) so Zain adjusted and went to the ball BnA. People still questioning his strength at 149 (ability to the do the BnA) didnt see the memo from the watermelon protection alliance this summer.

I was surprised at how easily Pantaleo gave up the takedowns. It was freestyle-like, and then he spread his base when he hit the mat, again very free-style like.

I think you will see it more as guys/coaches scout his early season matches. Pantaelo clearly wasnt about to let his arm get behind his back to the point of stalling (in my opinion) so Zain adjusted and went to the ball BnA. People still questioning his strength at 149 (ability to the do the BnA) didnt see the memo from the watermelon protection alliance this summer.
Not just the arms but the legs--Pantaleo was splayed out like in freestyle because he wanted to prevent Zain from throwing a leg in. Zain tried a number of times to get legs in before switching up to the bow and arrow, because that's all that was being given to him. I wonder if that was yelled in by a coach or if he figured it out himself. I saw him look over a few times during the match but don't know what was said.

Not just the arms but the legs--Pantaleo was splayed out like in freestyle because he wanted to prevent Zain from throwing a leg in. Zain tried a number of times to get legs in before switching up to the bow and arrow, because that's all that was being given to him. I wonder if that was yelled in by a coach or if he figured it out himself. I saw him look over a few times during the match but don't know what was said.

Well our coaches cant coach or so we continue to be told, so the change up must have been made on the mat or something yelled by the student section.

Its rumored that during the match Sunday, Cael was playing CoC against a kid in nigeria who posted on instagram a picture of him in a goofer 2014 national champs T-shirts.

Its also rumored that Cody was stuck thinking about which team Nevills should be on for dodge ball this week. Kid is big but has a quick release and this was puzzling him...to be fair to both teams.

Reactions: tikk10
Well our coaches cant coach or so we continue to be told, so the change up must have been made on the mat or something yelled by the student section.

Its rumored that during the match Sunday, Cael was playing CoC against a kid in nigeria who posted on instagram a picture of him in a goofer 2014 national champs T-shirts.

Its also rumored that Cody was stuck thinking about which team Nevills should be on for dodge ball this week. Kid is big but has a quick release and this was puzzling him...to be fair to both teams.
So our student section out-coached McFarland?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT