ADVERTISEMENT

Yurcich, receivers and other late thoughts on beating WVa

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
-- Not enough attention going to Yurcich imho. He is great at figuring out stuff that will fool a defense that is relatively simple to execute. He is all about making it easy for his guys to do well as long as they carry out their assignments. As a result, everyone on that offense is playing with confidence.

-- Another coach who deserves some props is Hagans. All of a sudden the receivers group looks really solid. There's not a big star there but they all look really comfortable in their roles. It is just huge that McClain and Cephas are contributing right away. And Liam Clifford looks like he could become a Scott Fitzkee type player, a real pest.

-- Not really too many conclusions can be drawn....WVA didn't have enough athletes to really compete. Normal early season sloppiness but the offense is executing and the D just looks freaking fast. They make a lot of mistakes but speed erases mistakes.

Last edited:
-- Not enough attention going to Yurcich imho. He is great at figuring out stuff that will fool a defense that is relatively simple to execute. He is all about making it easy for his guys to do well as long as they carry out their assignments. As a result, everyone on that offense is playing with confidence.

-- Another coach who deserves some props is Hagans. All of a sudden the receivers group looks really solid. There's not a big star there but they all look really comfortable in their roles. It is just huge that McClain and Cephas are contributing right away. And Liam Clifford looks like he could become a Scott Fitzkee type player, a real pest.

-- Not really too many conclusions can be drawn....WVA didn't have enough athletes to really compete. Normal early season sloppiness but the offense is executing and the D just looks freaking fast. They make a lot of mistakes but speed erases mistakes.
How about Gregg Garrity, and not Fitzkee? Fitzkee was a HS sprint champion, Garrity was more of a slot WR like Clifford. But Garrity did haul in an amazing downfield TD pass from Blackledge, that got both him and I on the cover of Sports Illustrated for Natty #1 vs. UGA.

Reactions: tboyer

Only one game but I thought Cephas coming in would have a much bigger role. One game only though...

Only one game but I thought Cephas coming in would have a much bigger role. One game only though...
Allar, other than on one, made the throws....definitely can make all the throws and navigate the pocket or lack there of. It may take some time for Cephas to catch up for not arriving earlier. As long as the others can catch what they reasonably should, we'll be ok.

How about Gregg Garrity, and not Fitzkee? Fitzkee was a HS sprint champion, Garrity was more of a slot WR like Clifford. But Garrity did haul in an amazing downfield TD pass from Blackledge, that got both him and I on the cover of Sports Illustrated for Natty #1 vs. UGA.
True, Garrity might be a better example. Liam Clifford is a lot bigger than Garrity, (6-1 ~ 200 vs 5-9 ~ 170) and more physical. But similar in their precision. We'll see if Clifford can contribute against more athletic secondaries but I'd bet he will

Was friends with Jon McKay who was on that cover as a cheerleader.....not sure if this is Jon....or perhaps that you would know Jon.

Cephas' technique was really poor on the sideline throw that ended up going straight through his hands. Receivers are taught to get their hands out before the ball is thrown - this helps make a target for QB, but also makes it easier to catch ball as it is coming into your hands (i.e., hands should be there before ball arrives)... you're not reaching for the ball... The ball went right through Cephas' hands because he was late in getting his hands out to make the catch.

Reactions: 81b&w
Cephas about dropped the long catch he had and then did drop a td….questionable hands.

Thought overall receivers were better than I expected.
The ball Allar throws is likely coming to Cephas a good bit quicker than it did in the MAC. He showed he can get open which is a positive.

I thought KLS looked like a clear #1 WR and Wallace got open and caught the ball consistently. With McClain seemingly settling in and also looking good the WR group seems to be as good or better than what had been predicted. Clifford and Cephas also had catches and will get more comfortable - Cephas only got to PSU in the summer.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic including the fact that a couple of the completions were on routes that took a while to develop, as well as routes that were adjustments once Allar started moving in the pocket. This shows that those WR's know what to do in adjusting and Allar keeping his eyes downfield with his ability to pretty much throw in all directions on the move also bodes well going forward.

Last edited:

Agree with your thoughts, especially Hagans. Noticed that the receivers were by and large catching the balls with their hands rather than their bodies.

Was friends with Jon McKay who was on that cover as a cheerleader.....not sure if this is Jon....or perhaps that you would know Jon.
43763---cover-thumbnail-image.jpg

I am not Jon, but that is my head above the "T" in "AT"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT