ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials - 6/12-14 in Madison

Chance and Logan Massa in a real barn burner in the 74 kg mini-final. Chance had a 4-point move in the 1st period, and after that they kept swapping the lead. It ended up 8-8, and Chance won on criteria.

In the Nolf-Law 74 kg Consolation semi, Nolf was up 3-0. It's now 3-2 in the 2nd, with about 1:30 left. And it ends 3-2, Nolf.

OK, I've done my part, but I've got to step away (why did I schedule something for this afternoon?). So my updates/coverage for today's action is coming to an end.

OK, I've done my part, but I've got to step away (why did I schedule something for this afternoon?). So my updates/coverage for today's action is coming to an end.
Thanks Tom, always appreciate the effort.

thanks guys. couldnt watch or follow today but scanning the site filled my curiosity void.

I talked to GH at my camp back in april and my opinion is he knows what he needs to do to hold the spot. was a great kid to talk to and learn from. Plus like many of our team has a personality that really endears himself to you. Personally i think the spot is his as rasheed may have just out grown it.

I dont know if I typed this before, but Caesar is nicknamed the velociraptor on the team. In talking with QW at the camp he thought AC was the real deal and fans would not be disappointed when MM leaves at 197 by the effort or the results at 197. The fact the coaches havent recruited a hwy behind NN says something to me (nicks the man for sure) but because the last guy that could hold down several weight classes effectively for psu was Matt brown. I bring AC up because he wrestles later today for a shot at the world team.

cenzo....nice work young man...nice work!

also anvil as a junior taking his lumps which isnt all bad in my book. love seeing him mix it up.

anyone concerned with Zpain moving up to 149lbs isnt paying attention. his offense and Tshirt defense (lack of offense some might say) will be fun fodder for the season.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
from @FloWrestling: Hall techs Marsteller in 28 seconds

@FloWrestling: As always, it's a complete war between Pico and Retherford. Pico wins #WTT2015 match 1 by score of 5-2

adding more from flo twitter:

@FloWrestling Jason Nolf beats Jo Jo Smith, 12-7. #WTT2014

@FloWrestling: Forget the Cadet World team. Spencer Lee just made the Junior World Team by beating Vega in 2 straight! #WTT2015

@FloWrestling Maybe UWW Junior Nationals was a fluke...Stevan Micic takes two straight matches over Cadet World teamer, Daton Fix, and makes #WTT2015 team

@FloWrestling Pico beats Retherford again and makes the Junior World Team for the 2nd year in a row! #WTT2015

@FloWrestlng 1st the tech and NOW THE FALL of Marsteller! Mark Hall is clearly on another level & TBH he looks JR World Champion good! Watch out world!

Last edited:
Nicely done Anthony Cassar. 2015 Jr. world team member.

Looks like we've got a nice replacement for MM

Sam Spade beat me to the punch

Last edited:
Congrats to Cassar ... um, wait?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Update: There is a chance that Cassar may be challenged for the spot by a JR World placer from last year. It would happen at training camp.</p>&mdash; NLWC (@NittanyLionWC) <a href="">June 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So Spencer Lee won by 10-0 TF in both of the best of 3 finals against Danny Vega. He also won his two matches in the mini-tournament by 10-0 TF. Four matches, and no points scored against him.

Daton Fix bested/upset Spencer at World Cadet Team Trials. However, at the Junior World Team Trials, he lost in the finals to Stevan Micic in the best 2 of 3 by scores of 4-7 and 4-10.

Anthony Ashnault was defeated in R1 of the mini-tourney by Cenzo Joseph. He came back to take 3rd at 66 kg. Zain Train defeated Cenzo in the mini-tourney final, 5-0. Alas, Aaron Pico defeated Zain Train in the best 2 of 3 by scores of 5-2 and 6-2. So Zain takes 2nd, and Cenzo takes 3rd.

Jason Nolf lost to Logan Messa in the mini-tourney semis, 8-9. He went on to take 3rd at 74 kg by defeating Joe Joe Smith, 12-7. Nolf defeated Cody Law in the Consolation Semis, 3-2, and Joe Joe defeated Garett Hammond on the Consolation Semis, 7-1. I know that Mark Hall is off-the-charts good, but he defeated Chance in the best 2 of 3 finals by 10-0 TF and then by a pin at 3:44. Chance was all-world coming out of high school, though he hasn't been as dominant as a redshirt freshman in college. Nolf was scary good as a redshirt freshman. Whichever college lands Hall is going to be in for quite a treat.

Between Nolf, Law, and Hammond, The Anvil may be overlooked. He doesn't have the offense to go against the college kids, but he's got a great foundation from which to build from.

Anthony Cassar won in the best 2 of 3 finals at 96 kg by TF scores of 12-2 and 10-0 over Jacob Seely (CO). This seems to confirm many of the whispers I've heard about Cassar from those that have seen him inside the room at PSU.

My thanks to all that added info after I had to step away, and to Dice for providing insight while I was posting results.

Lastly, a heads up that I'm going to be away from the boards for big chunks of the World Team Trials this weekend. I'm hopeful that some of you will step up and provide some coverage of these events over the weekend.

The "JR World placer from last year" who might challenge Cassar: Kyle Snyder.

The "JR World placer from last year" who might challenge Cassar: Kyle Snyder.

That was my suspicion. I guess he'll wait to see how he does in the World Team Trials this weekend. If he doesn't win at 96 kg, then I guess he'll try to get on the Junior team.

That was my suspicion. I guess he'll wait to see how he does in the World Team Trials this weekend. If he doesn't win at 96 kg, then I guess he'll try to get on the Junior team.
Seems kind of messed up that he can do that. Anthony won, Anthony deserves the spot. Snyder decided he wanted to roll with the big boys

Nicely done AC!!!! Hard to imagine he was only a one time NJ state champ and didn't even qualify prior to his senior year. Somebody must be paying attention in class.

So Nolf just lost to Massa and Chance beat Massa on criteria. While Hall is on another level, Nolf really has come along way....especially having to grow into the weight class.

Nicely done AC!!!! Hard to imagine he was only a one time NJ state champ and didn't even qualify prior to his senior year. Somebody must be paying attention in class.

So Nolf just lost to Massa and Chance beat Massa on criteria. While Hall is on another level, Nolf really has come along way....especially having to grow into the weight class.

And especially for having very limited freestyle experience. This is (I think) his 3rd freestyle event ever, at any level.

Seems kind of messed up that he can do that. Anthony won, Anthony deserves the spot. Snyder decided he wanted to roll with the big boys

So Snyder should get punished for taking the challenge???

If he doesn't make the Sr. World Team, he should absolutely have the right to compete for the Junior spot. Just because he's our guy doesn't mean AC "deserves" the spot. He deserves the spot if:
1) Snyder makes the Senior team, then he will be the best Junior
2) He beats Snyder should Snyder challenge, then he will be the best Junior

What would be messed up is if we had a system that would make our wrestlers make tactical decisions about where and when to enter, instead of a system that would send the best wrestlers.

So Snyder should get punished for taking the challenge???

If he doesn't make the Sr. World Team, he should absolutely have the right to compete for the Junior spot. Just because he's our guy doesn't mean AC "deserves" the spot. He deserves the spot if:
1) Snyder makes the Senior team, then he will be the best Junior
2) He beats Snyder should Snyder challenge, then he will be the best Junior

What would be messed up is if we had a system that would make our wrestlers make tactical decisions about where and when to enter, instead of a system that would send the best wrestlers.

Perfectly stated Dice

What Dice said. The goal should be for Team USA to have the best possible wrestlers.

We just hope that means more blue/white and less tan.

What do you mean, "most likely"? Snyder's not going to compete in JR Worlds, now that he's qualified for SR Worlds.

Probably not.
Though let's duly note it is a free trip to the land of the Miss Bum Bum competition and Reef Brazil girls

Zws4t.jpg

I might be double-dipping if I had that chance.

Just sayin'

Snyder sees better tans in the Ohio State wrestling room.

The shapes ... well ... that's another story.

was I the only one thinking back to the last meeting between Smack and Snyder and how could it be...

Will be interested in seeing what weight Smack goes for freestyle. He can't reasonably go 184 folk for a season, but freestyle weigh-in rules might allow him to go 86 kg (189.2 lb). IIRC that's where he has competed freestyle in college.

ADVERTISEMENT