ADVERTISEMENT

World Team Trials - 6/12-14 in Madison

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
PSU registrants -- JRs:
66 kg: Vincenzo Joseph, Zain Retherford
74 kg: Cody Law, Garett Hammond, Jason Nolf, Mason Manville (registered NLWC)
96 kg: Anthony Cassar

Pico and Ashnault are registered at 66 kg. Hall is registered at 74 kg.

Spencer Lee registered for the UWW Junior World Team Trials yesterday (Monday), at 50 kg. His buddy, Devin Brown, is also registered at 50 kg. Others at 50 kg are:

Brandon Countney (AZ)
Danny Vega (AZ)
Jabari Moody (IL)
Liam Cronin (CA)

Vega gets a bye until the finals.

Interesting to see some of the names at the other weights. These include:

66 kg:
Aaron Pico (gets a bye to the finals)
Anthony Ashnault
Fredy Stroker
Max Thomsen
Cenzo Joseph
Zain Retherford

74 kg
Cody Law
Fox Baldwin
Garett Hammond
Jason Nolf
Mark Hall (gets a bye to the finals)
Mason Manville

Registration is open until Wednesday at 10 pm CST.

Willie's tweet about Spencer registering was kind of funny. It read:

"Wille prayers come true! Spencer Lee will be at 50kg for JR Trials!"

Reactions: scottcooperpsu
Manville is registered under the NLWC instead of the Minnesota Storm. I take that as a positive sign.

He's wrestled Folk much of his entire life

Well sure, but it was my understanding that he was going back to Minnesota to focus on Free and Greco. How many guys come out of college and talk about how they wrestled free all through their youth, took a few years off from it while in college and now they have catching up to do once they hit the international scene? Taking a year and a half off of folkstyle could kinda be a big deal.

That's why I wanted to know how much folkstyle is he doing. I can think of quite a few guys who are better at free than folk, so not training full time might mean something.

Gotcha, perhaps this transition is less understood because it's typically adjusting to wrestling free we read about and with Manville leaving Blair this is a rare case but yes it warrants discussion. Also any idea why so many people still are surprised Manville is coming to Psu and it almost comes up like his verbal isn't real still? I understand how stacked Psu is at the middleweights but this kid won't run from anyone and is fantastic.

So the registration deadline has been reached. Assuming that the list of participants is fully updated, here are the competitors:

50kg
Devin Brown (PA)
Brandon Countney (AZ)
Danny Vega (AZ) (gets a bye to the finals)
Jabari Moody (IL)
Liam Cronin (CA)
Spencer Lee (PA)

55kg:
Barlow McGhee (IL)
Brian Rossi (CA)
Darian Cruz (PA)
Daton Fix (OK) (gets a bye to the finals)
Jack Mueller (TX)
Kyle Akins (IL)
Matthew Schmitt (MO)
Ronnie Rios (MN)
Skyler Petry (MN)
Stevan Micic (IL)

60kg:
Anthony Giraldo (NJ)
Brock Zacherl (PA)
Colton McCrystal (IA)
David Zemenak (PA)
Gary Harding (OK) (gets a bye to the finals)
Joshua Alber (IA)
Kaid Brock (OK)
Matthew Kolodzik (OH)
Michael Cook (ID)
Mitchell McKee (MN)
William Erneste (MO)

66kg:
Aaron Pico (CA) (has a bye to the finals)
Andrew Crone (WI)
Anthony Ashnault (NJ)
Colton Orrino (WA)
Fredy Stroker (IA)
Gabriel Grahek (WI)
Geordan Martinez (CO)
Kevin Jack (CT)
Max Thomsen (IA)
Nicholas Villarreal (CA)
Samuel Crane (MO)
Cenzo Joseph (PA)
Zain Retherford (PA)

74kg:
Austin Reese (OH)
Chance Marsteller (PA)
Cody Law (PA)
Fox Baldwin (FL)
Garett Hammond (PA)
Jacen Petersen (MT)
Jason Nolf (PA)
Joe Smith (OK)
Keilan Torres (OK)
Lawton Benna (IA)
Logan Massa (MI)
Luke Norland (MN)
Mark Hall (CO) (has a bye to the finals)
Mason Manville (VA)
Nick Reenan (TX)

84kg:
Chandler Rogers (OK)
Chris Pfarr (MN)
Colin Carr (MN)
Dylan Gabel (CO)
Jaden Bernstein (MD)
Peter Renda (PA)
Richard Robertson (IL)
Riley Lefever (IN)
Ryan Christensen (WA)
Ryder Newman (CO)
Zahid Valencia (CA) (gets a bye to the final)

96kg:
Anthon Cassar (NJ) (has a bye to the finals)
Ben Honis (NY)
Jacob Seely (CO)
Joseph Ariola (IL)
Malik McDonald (NC)
Marcus Harrington (IA)

120kg:
Garrett Ryan (AZ)
Jacob Aven (IN)
Jacob Scanlan (IA)
Jake Gunning (PA)
Jeramy Sweany (NY)
Jesse Webb (OH)
Matt Voss (VA)
Nathan Butler (CA) (gets a bye to the finals)

All the action in the Junior Wold Team Trials takes place on Friday. The prelims start at 9 am and run through the morning. The finals start at 2 pm (CDT). The action will be streamed live on Flo.

Note: I updated this on Thursday. The guys in bold were names that I did not enter on Wednesday night -- not sure if they were on Track's list of registrants and I missed them, or if they were added after I made my post.

So the registration deadline has been reached. Assuming that the list of participants is fully updated, here are the competitors:

50kg
Devin Brown (PA)
Brandon Countney (AZ)
Danny Vega (AZ) (gets a bye to the finals)
Jabari Moody (IL)
Liam Cronin (CA)
Spencer Lee (PA)

55kg:
Barlow McGhee (IL)
Brian Rossi (CA)
Darian Cruz (PA)
Daton Fix (OK) (gets a bye to the finals)
Jack Mueller (TX)
Kyle Akins (IL)
Matthew Schmitt (MO)
Ronnie Rios (MN)
Skyler Petry (MN)
Stevan Micic (IL)

60kg:
Brock Zacherl (PA)
Colton McCrystal (IA)
David Zemenak (PA)
Gary Harding (OK) (gets a bye to the finals)
Joshua Alber (IA)
Kaid Brock (OK)
Matthew Kolodzik (OH)
Michael Cook (ID)
Mitchell McKee (MN)
William Erneste (MO)

66kg:
Aaron Pico (CA) (has a bye to the finals)
Andrew Crone (WI)
Anthony Ashnault (NJ)
Colton Orrino (WA)
Fredy Stroker (IA)
Gabriel Grahek (WI)
Geordan Martinez (CO)
Kevin Jack (CT)
Max Thomsen (IA)
Nichola Villarreal (CA)
Samuel Crane (MO)
Cenzo Joseph (PA)
Zain Retherford (PA)

74kg:
Austin Reese (OH)
Chance Marsteller (PA)
Cody Law (PA)
Fox Baldwin (FL)
Garett Hammond (PA)
Jacen Petersen (MT)
Jason Nolf (PA)
Joe Smith (OK)
Keilan Torres (OK)
Lawton Benna (IA)
Logan Massa (MI)
Luke Norland (MN)
Mark Hall (CO) (has a bye to the finals)
Mason Manville (VA)
Nick Reenan (TX)

84kg:
Chris Pfarr (MN)
Colin Carr (MN)
Dylan Gabel (CO)
Jaden Bernstein (MD)
Peter Renda (PA)
Richard Robertson (IL)
Riley Lefever (IN)
Ryan Christensen (WA)
Ryder Newman (CO)
Zahid Valencia (CA) (gets a bye to the final)

96kg:
Anthon Cassar (NJ) (has a bye to the finals)
Ben Honis (NY)
Jacob Seely (CO)
Joseph Ariola (IL)
Malik McDonald (NC)
Marcus Harrington (IA)

120kg:
Garrett Ryan (AZ)
Jacob Aven (IN)
Jacob Scanlan (IA)
Jake Gunning (PA)
Jeramy Sweany (NY)
Jesse Webb (OH)
Matt Voss (VA)
Nathan Butler (CA) (gets a bye to the finals)

All the action in the Junior Wold Team Trials takes place on Friday. The prelims start at 9 am and run through the morning. The finals start at 2 pm (CDT). The action will be streamed live on Flo.

60 KG Anthony Giraldo (College) New Jersey Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club

the brackets are out. you can view them on TrackWrestling. i've had problems in the past linking Track brackets, but TRY THIS LINK.

At 50 kg, Devin Brown seems to have withdrawn. Thus you have Spencer Lee vs Liam Cronin, with the winner facing the winner of the Jabari Moody and Brandon Courtney match. And the winner of the 2nd match gets to face Danny Vega in the finals, in a best 2 out of 3.

At 55 kg, Stevan Micic and Darian Cruz are in the top and bottom brackets, respectively, but there is some other talent in the bracket. Daton Fix will meet the winner in the finals, in a best 2 out of 3.

At 60 kg, the upper bracket seems pretty stacked, with Mitchell McKee, Joshua Alber, and Kaid Brock. Brock Zacheri seems to have a pretty nice setup in the bottom bracket.

66 kg is loaded with talent. Zain Train, Matt Kolodzik, and Fredy Stroker are in the upper bracket. Anthony Ashnault, Cenzo Joseph, Geo Martinez, Kevin Jack, and Nicholas Villareal are some of the names in the bottom bracket. Cenzo and Ashnault will go at it in Round 1. Zain Train will meet Max Thomsen (IA) in Round 1. Whomever makes it through this bracket will face Aaron Pico in the finals, in a best 2 out of 3.

74 kg is also loaded. Jason Nolf, Fox Baldwin (FL), Logan Massa, Cody Law, and Joe Joe Smith are in the top bracket. Mason Manville, Garett Hammond, and Chance Marsteller are some of the names in the bottom bracket. Nolf has a bye in Round 1. He'll take on the winner of Kellan Torres - Fox Baldwin match in Round 2. Nolf should be tested, but should be favored to get to the semis. Cody Law has a tough opening matchup against Logan Massa. In the bottom bracket, Chance has a bye. The Anvil takes on Austin Reese (OH) in Round 1. Garett Hammond takes on Markus Schneidel in Round 1. A Nolf - Chance semi would not surprise me. The winner gets to take on Mark Hall in the finals, in a best 2 out of 3.

At 84 kg, not a lot of guys with big reps. Chandler Rogers is in the top bracket, and Chris Pfarr is in the bottom bracket.

At 96 kg, there are only 6 competitors. Marcus Harrington is probably the biggest name in the bracket. He's probably the favorite to emerge to the finals, where he would face Anthony Cassar in a best 2 out of 3.

At 120 kg, I really don't know any of the competitors, so I'll refrain from commenting.

Vais/Christian Pyles has a quick take on each bracket at Flo. You can access it at THIS LINK.

Might get to see Hammond vs Manville in the 2nd round. Would be a good measuring point to see where the Anvil stands at this point in his career.

Mason Manville is up 4-2 on Austin Reese at the end of Per 1.
The Anvil is up 5-2 in the 2nd, with 30 sec left. And that's the final score.

Cody Law is trailing 0-9 against Logan Massa at the end of Per 1. This was a tough R1 matchup for Cody.
Cody gets on the scoreboard in the 2nd, and trails 2-9. Massa scored again late in the 2nd, and won by TF, 13-2.

Garett Hammond is taking on Markus Schneidel in R1

At the end of the 1st period, Hammond has a 6-2 lead.
Hammond hits a 4-point move in the 1st minute of the 2nd period, and leads 10-2. Markus with a TD to narrow it to 10-4. No, it's taken away. With under 30 to go, it's Hammond up 10-5. And the match ends with Hammond winning 12-9.

Looks as though Manville and Hammond will meet in Round 2

Might get to see Hammond vs Manville in the 2nd round. Would be a good measuring point to see where the Anvil stands at this point in his career.
Not sure how much freestyle Hammond has been wrestling though

Not sure how much freestyle Hammond has been wrestling though

It seems as if Hammond has been on the mat for every possible competition since the season ended. It sure looks like he is doing everything possible to hold on to the starting spot which most have him out of next year - myself included.

The win over Scheidel is a good one. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see GH take out MM here.

Joseph with a TF over Forys (who is up at 66kg after wrestling at 125 this year?!?!). Retherford with the TF over Kolodzik earlier.

Zain Train taking on Matt Kolodzik in R2
Kolodzik goes up 0-2 in the 1st period. Then Zain kicks into gear, and racks up 6 points, to take a 6-2 lead. Then Zain racks up 6 more points, and wins by TF, 12-2, in the 1st period.

Cenzo Joseph follows on Mat 1, taking on Dom Forys in R2 of 66kg. Cenzo racks up 10 points in just over a minute, to take a 10-0 TF.

Cody Law taking on Luke Norland in 74kg Consolation R1
Law with a 4-point move late in the 1st to go up 4-0 after 1
Law with 2 and 2 in the 2nd period, to lead 8-0 with a 1:30 left. I believe that's how the match ended.

Nolf is coming up on Mat 1

Cody Law with a TF in the consys. I think PSU is 6-1 on the day so far. Nolf on deck.

Jason Nolf taking on Keilan Torres in a 74 kg Quarterfinal on Mat 1. Nolf gets and early 2, and tacks on 2 more, to go up 4-0 after a minute of wrestling. The machine is relentless, and tacks on 2 more to go up 6-0. He adds 1 more with 40 sec left in Per 1, and leads 7-0. Nolf adds another point before the end of the period, and leads 8-0. I looked away for a second, and Nolf had the TF, 10-0.

Mason Manville taking on Garett Hammond in a 74 kg Quarterfinal on Mat 2. Kind of hard to follow this match and Nolf (they are taking place at the same time). Hammond is up 6-0 with 1 min left in Per 1. And that's how the period ends.
1 min left in Per 2, and it's still Hammond with a 6-0 lead. Hammond with 2 more, and that's how the match ends, with Hammond advancing 8-0.

Semis coming up:

66KG
Zain has Freddie Stroker-Minnesota recruit out of IA and PA. Stroker is good for a HS kid, but Zain should cruise easily.
Cenzo has Andrew Crone, who beat Geordan Martinez with a 10pt flurry with about 30 seconds to go. Martinez might have been a tougher matchup for Joseph, I like Joseph to come out on top here and meet Zain in mini tournament finals.

74KG
Nolf has Logan Massa-MI senior to be. Massa just beat Joe Smith 4-0 in quarters after TF Cody in round 1. Massa could pose some problems for Jason given his freestyle experience. He had a nasty head pinch on Cody in their match and it's not the first time I've seen him use that. I think Cody was just about out when they stopped it.

Hammond takes on Chance in a rematch from last month. Let's see if Garrett can make some adjustments here - he can certainly get to Chance's legs, just needs to finish. GH took out Manville as I suspected he might. Chance just beat Nick Reenan - Wyoming Sem senior to be. After watching that match, I would have really liked us to have landed Reenan (he committed to Northwestern). He's going to be really, really good. Manville will likely see him in consys and I think Reenan might be more than a handful for him.

I didn't realize the brackets were crossing in this round, so Law has Manville in consys - will be interesting. Winner will get Reenan-Baldwin winner which is also pretty interesting. Hard to pick a winner in each, but I'll go with Manville and Baldwin.

MM definitely needs some offense, and it really shows when he wrestles the college kids who have had a couple of years to learn how to finish quickly. I'm not sure that Cody will be able to penetrate his defense, but the better kids can right now and MM doesn't have enough offense yet to keep up with them. Not trying to criticize our recruit - just agreeing with what he obviously has already acknowledged publicly he needs development on.

I'm back, but may have to step away again.

Cody Law defeated Mason Manville in a Consolation match, 6-0.

Spencer Lee with a 10-0 TF in the semis over Liam Cronin (CA). Due to only 5 contestants at 50 kg, Spencer started the trials in the semis.

He'll face the winner of the Jabari Moody - Brandon Courtney semi, which appears to be a real battle. Moody had 2 4-pt moves in the 1st period, but Courtney got 6 points as well. Now Courtney takes the lead, 10-9, with just over a minute left in the 2nd period. Courtney is having an excellent 2nd period, and leads 12-9 with 15 sec left. And that's how it ends, so Spencer will face Brandon Courtney to determine who faces Danny Vega (AZ) in the best of 3 final.

Zain Train vs. Fredy Stroker in a 66 kg semi.

Stroker gets the early lead, 0-2. Zain come back with a TD to even it up, 2-2. Zain with another TD to take the lead, 4-2. Stroker ties it at the end, 4-4.

Zain with a quick TD in the 2nd to take the lead, 6-4. He tacks on 2 more to go up 8-4, with 2 minutes left. Then 2 more, to 2 up 10-4 (shortly after I was thinking that this was closer than I expected). Cenzo - Crone match is about to start. And then Zain gets the pin at 5:01

Cenzo Joseph - Andew Crone in a 66 kg semi.
Cenzo with 2, and then tacks on 2 more, to go up 4-0. Crone gets 2, but then Joseph adds 2 more, making it 6-2 with about 30 sec left in the 1st period. Then Cenzo with a 4-point move, to go up 10-2, and that's how the period ends. Cenzo with a quick 2 to start the 2nd, and that's a 12-2 TF for him.

Jason Nolf - Logan Massa in a 74 kg semi. Massa with 2 to take the lead, but then Nolf evens it up, 2-2. Massa got another point (missed how it happened), to go up 2-3 at the end of the 1st. Ugh, Massa with a 4-point move, to go up 2-7. Nolf with 2 to close it to 4-7. Then Massa gets 2 more, to to go up 9-4 with about a minute left. Not going to be easy to pull this one out. Nolf with 2, and then 2 more, but it ends 8-9, in favor of Massa.

In the other 74 kg semi, Chance TFed Hammond, 10-0.

Cenzo with a 12-2TF to move into the finals against Zain.

Nolf goes down to Massa 9-8. I'm not all that surprised, said above I thought he might pose problems. Jason is still a 2 point at a time guy in freestyle. It's tough sometimes to win matches that way against guys who are experienced in that style unless your defense is world level.

Hammond goes down to Chance again by TF. Not a good matchup in freestyle for Garrett.

Cody Law taking on Nick Reenan in a 74 kg Consolation R3 match. Law with a pushout in the 1st to take a 1-0. Reenan with a pushout in the 2nd, to tie it 1-1 with about 1:30 left to go. Law with the TD to go up 3-1 with about 1 min left. He picks up 1 point to go up 4-1, with under 15 sec left. And that's how it ends.

Spencer Lee with another 10-0 TF, this time over Brandon Courtney in the mini-final. He'll face Danny Vega (AZ) in the best of 3 final.

they are doing mini-finals on Mat 2. They're currently at 55 kg. As such, I would think the 66 kg mini-final will be in about 10 minutes (1:47 EDT), but if the 55 kg or 60 kg mini-final ends early, the 66 kg mini-final could start before that. And just as I key that in, the 55 kg mini-final ended early with a TF. The 60 kg mini-final has already started, so the 66 kg could be at 1:45 EDT, or earlier if the 60 ends in a fall or TF.

Zain with the 1st TD, 2-0. I think that's the 1st match today where Zain didn't give up the initial points. Zain with another TD with under 45 sec, to go up 4-0. And that's how the period ends.

1 min left in the 2nd period, and it's still 4-0, Zain. Then he adds 1 point, to go up 5-0. Under 30 left. And that's how it ends.

Zain will face Aaron Pico in a best of 3 final for the slot on the US Team.

Jason Nolf will be facing Cody Law in a 74 kg Consolation Semi shortly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT