ADVERTISEMENT

Willie reports: Luke Karam decommits from Bucknell

This possibility has crossed my mind the past few months with so many top programs in need of lightweights. Wonder if PSU has entered the equation here. Lehigh would normally be my thought, but they have kids at 125 and 133 with a lot of eligibility left.

Well that makes things interesting. If we take 2 at the lower weights Luke would definitely be an interesting "second option"

I am more than OK with him if we get him and he would take some recruiting pressure off. Even if we strike out with Micic and Suriano, he would still make for a very good get in a position of need. He is really advanced technically for a HS kid, never out of position. My favorite wrestler is very offensive and he did not really get a sniff at scoring on him in the state finals. Good in all 3 positions which makes for a good transition to college. Karam is also a little older, I believe he will be 19 in December and he is still hanging around the 125-130 range. I would guess he goes 126 again this year, so he might be the type of kid who can be a career 125 which would be a huge plus if we don't land Micic or we miss out on Lee. He could end up having as good or better career in college as some of the guys we talk about being more highly rated at this point. May need to add some strength (don't know, just guessing by watching him wrestle a number of times), but that might be minimized if he is able to wrestle 125. Good student I believe also, father a coach - probably would be very little risk of washing out which is underrated by fans in recruiting.

That said, nobody really has connected him with PSU at this point so we will have to wait and see. The only bummer in this is this has to be a big blow to Bucknell, and being a small PA school, of course you want to see them add good wrestlers.

Last edited:
wow, here we think things might start to get resolved in the near future, and then Micic and then Karam make things even more confusing.

kind of sucks for Bucknell. I believe they have Petrov entering his senior year, and then Zach Valley (Northampton HS) as a RS fresh, and that's it at 125 that have been in their room. They did land 3 guys in this year's class that could go 125 (Ben Bliss - 2 x State Champ in VT and 1 x New England champ; Mike Macklin - 2 x State Champ in MD; Frank Satriale - Malvern Prep, PA ... 1 time Nat. Prep qualifier). Karam seemed to be a real land for them when he verballed in October. He wrestled 126 as a junior, so it does raise a question as to whether he'll be able to make 125 in college. Dice may have a good sense about this.

Really is amazing how we are going backwards with kids decommitting instead of committing. Been one of the strangest recruiting seasons I can remember.

Reactions: obrats
Article linked here.

Snippet:

Karam had announced a commitment to Bucknell in October 2014, mentioning that Rutgers, Drexel and Lehigh were his other top choices. He declined to mention specific schools he is looking at now, though he did say there are "four or five schools" he is currently looking at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT