ADVERTISEMENT

Why Rutgers should be the WHITEOUT Game

rutgersal

Jun 7, 2001
- Best, most talented team on your home schedule

It'll take years for Harbaugh to fix Michigan. I don't see any other home opponent coming close to Rutgers level.

- Programs are on the same level

Rutgers lost to PSU close, but beat Michigan and Maryland. PSU beat Rutgers, with the help of 5 RU TO's, but lost to Michigan and Maryland.
Since 2005, the programs have had similar talent most years.

- Rutgers should have more visiting fans than any other opponent

For a great stadium atmosphere, you need a sizeable opposition. I expect Rutgers fans to represent as I will

- Primetime viewing ensures maximum exposure

Why would you waste a whiteout on a non Primetime game?

- Exciting matchup

With it's USC caliber talent, Rutgers matches up well with anyone in the B1G. Much of our talent will have a chance to play Sundays. Left Tackle Keith Lumpkin, who stoned Randy Gregory, and Leonte Carroo, who was First Team All Big Ten by the BTN, should be first round locks. PSU will need every edge it can get. There's enough talent at Rutgers to beat Ohio State.

Thanks....

I needed to start my day with a chuckle.

"Since 2005, the programs have had similar talent most years"

Wow - really? Please provide examples.

- Rutgers should have more visiting fans than any other opponent"

Hmmm....Ohio State, Nebraska, Alabama and Michigan would disagree. And rightfully so.

Programs on the same level?

When we've got all the good NJ players?

Heh heh.

This is one of the funniest posts of all time! I'm a sucker for obvious sarcasm...."USC level talent". That's just brilliant!

For Rutgers' sake, you better hope it's the blackout game. You don't want bitchslapped on TV.

0d4e26760427d1e94e17ff05bdd683a7e74014542045b08f68fa2bd5e7804a17.jpg

Bless your Scarlet heart, Al. How many in your RV caravan now? You might want to consider a different phrase than sizable opposition. Kyle Flood might think you are taking credit for his sizable gut. Is he beefing up to improve his play calling, since the "fridge" left town?
shock.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/14 9:17 AM by Blueblood4eva

I will post it again............

....who cares about a white out or blue or black out. Let's just beat Rutgers. The crowd will be loud regardless.

Originally posted by rutgersal:

It'll take years for Harbaugh to fix Michigan. I don't see any other home opponent coming close to Rutgers level.

Rutgers lost to PSU close, but beat Michigan and Maryland. PSU beat Rutgers, with the help of 5 RU TO's, but lost to Michigan and Maryland.

For a great stadium atmosphere, you need a sizeable opposition. I expect Rutgers fans to represent as I will

- Exciting matchup

With it's USC caliber talent, Rutgers matches up well with anyone in the B1G. Much of our talent will have a chance to play Sundays. Left Tackle Keith Lumpkin, who stoned Randy Gregory, and Leonte Carroo, who was First Team All Big Ten by the BTN, should be first round locks. PSU will need every edge it can get. There's enough talent at Rutgers to beat Ohio State.
don't worry Al...it'll be a white-out. our home schedule's terrible this year. We have Michigan in late November, so by default...Rutgers is our most marketable game.

Are you coming up for the game? If so, have a great time, get drunk, keep your expectations of the game itself very low.....cause it's going be ugly.

Originally posted by rutgersal:

- Exciting matchup

laugh.r191677.gif

Al, I would like to personally invite you to our tailgate, I'm not kidding. Yea this guy is known for being crazy with his statements but if uv ever been over to the Rutgers board it's a cess pool of negativity and complaining. Al, u stand by Rutgers no matter what and I admire that. I also agree that I would be fine with the game being a whiteout but for a different reason than you.

Obviously it's no secret that Franklin is going after New Jersey prospects like they're his own state, Penn State is also a completely different team at home, at night. Just look at Ohio State last year. You can bet that top guys like rashaun Gary, Ron Johnson, Will Fries, and many more top jersey guys will be at that game. There's also a VERY good chance that the game may not be close (you are replacing 8 starters from last years offense including you starting qb). This is an early season game and coming into Penn State playing against a team that returns most key pieces including Hackenberg plus is finally close to their full scholarship allocation (in other words, Penn State will be a much improved team next year).

Al, as I said, I'd love to have you to our tailgate, not for any other reason than your constant positive attitude about you team (which is remarkable over the years because it's Rutgers, no offense, but it's not like we're talking about an established program like Alabama or UCLA or something like that). Plus there's no one better to learn more about our new big ten neighbor, Rutgers. I know hardly anything about the program besides first college game played and 24-2. That's honestly all I know so Al, what do u say u in?

there should be no white out game this year. diminishes the entire

premise when you have an awful schedule filled with terrible opponents, and 5 home games in a row, so they throw a night game in there to mix it up a bit. rutgers will do anything to try and remain relevant, except win and/or attend bowl games.

I don't understand why the Illinois game would not be the whiteout? If we want to build up one game on our schedule to make it seem bigger than it is, it would be Illinois. They were the whiteout game in 2008. Very similar situation then as it is to our current one. What is the similar situation?? THEY BEAT US LAST YEAR!!!!

It's a revenge game. Way more on the line than Rutgers. We beat Rutgers. We always beat Rutgers. We always will beat Rutgers. We don't always beat Illinois and that's proof from last years performance.

Rutgers, fun game at night early in the season. Illinois, whiteout game and extra hype from both the whiteout and revenge/Beckman factor. Michigan, enough hype as it is, too late and too close to break to be whiteout.

That scenario gives us the best of both worlds. We don't blow our whiteout load too early in the season on a game that is already at night and gives us something to look forward to midway through the season.

Oh, and if that wasn't reason enough, Illinois is on Halloween. It's a no-brainer people. Wake up already.
This post was edited on 4/14 9:40 AM by Alphabets

Agree. Except it won't be so close this year.

I think PSU wins easily but I'd like to see the gane be a white out. Just for the fun of it.

Originally posted by Alphabets:
I don't understand why the Illinois game would not be the whiteout? If we want to build up one game on our schedule to make it seem bigger than it is, it would be Illinois. They were the whiteout game in 2008. Very similar situation then as it is to our current one. What is the similar situation?? THEY BEAT US LAST YEAR!!!!

It's a revenge game. Way more on the line than Rutgers. We beat Rutgers. We always beat Rutgers. We always will beat Rutgers. We don't always beat Illinois and that's proof from last years performance.

Rutgers, fun game at night early in the season. Illinois, whiteout game and extra hype from both the whiteout and revenge/Beckman factor. Michigan, enough hype as it is, too late and too close to break to be whiteout
You HAVE to look at it from a recruiting standpoint as well though, not a lot of our recruits are seriously considering Illinois and many don't have any offers from them, Jersey on the other hand, is LOADED with HS talent that are familiar with Rutgers program, now granted are the top guys ever going to seriously consider Rutgers? No, but Rutgers does have a tendency to offer anyone from New Jersey who plays HS football from the 9th grade on so all of these top guys have been to Rutgers. Lots of guys also want to play close to home, especially for the south jersey/Camden kids, Penn State is almost as close to them to drive to as Piscataway. When we beat Rutgers by 25+ this year recruits will take notice of that, it will also establish Rutgers as our perennial little brother, I say let's give them there shot this year, let them soak in the limelight and hey SOME OF THESE JERSEY KIDS ON RUTGERS WILL GET TO EXPERIENCE BIG TOME FOOTBALL for the first time, and when they get laughed out of the building they will be put back in their place. Rutgers fans think that they've earned something when it comes to the Big 10 or against Penn State but her, let's just go out, blow them out and get a nice look at Trace McSorely in the second half of that game

I am starting to think this is a good idea.

The origina whiteout was a against Nebraska. They said the stadium would be filled with red and our response was to get the red out, with a white out. Worked great, there were few Nebraska fans that night......an amazing night.

There needs to be a concerted effort to buy up Rutger's allotment of tix by PSU fans so even the areas set aside for Rutgers would be white.

Not a problem.

Flood will replace them with stud future AAs. Just ask al.

"USC caliber talent?" Attaboy, al.

We can always count on you for comic relief.

Thanks Al! You remind me of former IU homer Lester Diamond

I miss Lester's posts here.

Just a case of PSU's home schedule being absolutely terrible

you might be the best team at Beaver Stadium but it is far from a top of the line match-up.

Originally posted by Atpete07:

Originally posted by Alphabets:

Rutgers, fun game at night early in the season. Illinois, whiteout game and extra hype from both the whiteout and revenge/Beckman factor. Michigan, enough hype as it is, too late and too close to break to be whiteout
You HAVE to look at it from a recruiting standpoint as well though, not a lot of our recruits are seriously considering Illinois and many don't have any offers from them, Jersey on the other hand, is LOADED with HS talent that are familiar with Rutgers program, now granted are the top guys ever going to seriously consider Rutgers? No, but Rutgers does have a tendency to offer anyone from New Jersey who plays HS football from the 9th grade on so all of these top guys have been to Rutgers. Lots of guys also want to play close to home, especially for the south jersey/Camden kids, Penn State is almost as close to them to drive to as Piscataway. When we beat Rutgers by 25+ this year recruits will take notice of that, it will also establish Rutgers as our perennial little brother, I say let's give them there shot this year, let them soak in the limelight and hey SOME OF THESE JERSEY KIDS ON RUTGERS WILL GET TO EXPERIENCE BIG TOME FOOTBALL for the first time, and when they get laughed out of the building they will be put back in their place. Rutgers fans think that they've earned something when it comes to the Big 10 or against Penn State but her, let's just go out, blow them out and get a nice look at Trace McSorely in the second half of that game
Completely agree. I say that the game being at night and early in the season with nice weather will be enough to attain the atmosphere you are looking for, while still holding the whiteout game up our sleeve for anticipation and revenue purposes later int he season. I can see Rutgers being the whiteout, I just don't think we have to "waste" it on that game. A whiteout on Halloween is amazing.

Basically, we don't have to waste the whiteout to prove that we are a big time football program, especially when compared to Rutgers.

Can you say delusional?

"There's enough talent at Rutgers to beat Ohio State."
Now that truly is delusional.

al. Come on, son. Check yourself. Assuming for the moment that these

programs are in the same place (they are not, but I will humor you) you still have a very, very big problem: at the end of the day you are still Rutgers. Yes, Monkey boy walked them through a weak big east a few years ago to a very good record. He won some bowl games. That is it. There are any number of former Big East programs that were always better than the Rut and still are today.

There is a line between being a true-blue fan always for your team, and being a nutjob. It is not even a "fine line". It is pretty bold. Your boot prints are way way WAY on the wrong side of that line, al. Way far on the wrong side. Not sure you can get back to the line without a GPS.

The Rut will win one or two fluke games every couple of decades over PSU. That's it. the rest of the time, including this year, Rutgers will be beat like circus ponies when they play Penn State.

White out? Sure, why not? But it is clothing, al. At the end it is still a pain dance for the Scarlet Knights. I don't care if they show up wearing Easter bonnets.

Re: Delusion-sal. *

Ha......I read his post and the first thing I thought was delusional.
I didn't read any other posts. Looks like you had the same thought.

I vote we pass on a White Out game this season.

The White Out should be for Special games, on prime time TV, at prime time.
The Rutgers game on BTN is not prime in any way. Michigan will be too late
in the season for a White out. By mid November white t shirts turn into dark
coats. Not White Out material.

Agreed. It's either UM, or we don't have one

I don't want to dilute the Whiteout game and have one just for the sake of having one. If there isn't an ideal opponent, date, time slot then skip it. I don't think the Whiteout has been an annual game in year's past, haven't we skipped some years?

ADVERTISEMENT