ADVERTISEMENT

Which Penn State QB had / has the best arm ever?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I know Hack's arm is extremely strong, but can he throw the ball further than any past PSU QB's? Who do you think could, and accurately as well?

Collins for strength. He could make any throw as proven in his long NFL career.

Fusina for accuracy. He made average receivers look great.

I'd have to go with Morelli for arm strength. He had a cannon. Collins also had a great arm, and he was accurate.

I think Morelli had the best arm. He just was not a very good QB. He was decent. Clearly Collins was our best overall with both arm strength and QB ability. I think he played 14 years in the NFL? Not to shabby ;-)
We have had number of pretty good QBs all of whom did not have great arms.

Mis-read the Q. MRob may have had a strong arm, but certainly not accurate. Collins probably all-around best.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Tom Bill. He had issues with alcohol, but had a very strong arm. If a 6-pack of beer was on the goal line that would be his if he had to throw the ball 100 yards from the opposite goal line, he would do it! In all seriousness, he did have a very strong arm!

I agree with Morelli for arm strength (not necessarily accuracy). Didn't Paterno burn his red shirt on the last game one year when we only had a play or two left? Pulled the starting QB whom I can't remember, and put in AM to take a shot at the long ball. We ended up losing.

I think Morelli had the best arm. He just was not a very good QB. He was decent. Clearly Collins was our best overall with both arm strength and QB ability. I think he played 14 years in the NFL? Not to shabby ;-)
We have had number of pretty good QBs all of whom did not have great arms.

Kerry Collins is #12 ALL-TIME in passing yards in the NFL. Yes! Not too shabby indeed!!

I think Hoss went to WV...did he not?

Started
at PSU. Went to WVa when he could not beat out Blackledge--married the coaches daughter and got a Super Bowl ring. Not too shabby. I have a buddy who knew him at WVa (he was the head football trainer at the time).

Of course Todd won the MNC, so there's that.

Reactions: Jerademan74
I agree with Morelli for arm strength (not necessarily accuracy). Didn't Paterno burn his red shirt on the last game one year when we only had a play or two left? Pulled the starting QB whom I can't remember, and put in AM to take a shot at the long ball. We ended up losing.

That is not accurate.

Anybody remember Frank Raco? I used to watch his picture perfect passes during warmups - too bad that was pretty much it, warmups :)

Started at PSU. Went to WVa when he could not beat out Blackledge--married the coaches daughter and got a Super Bowl ring. Not too shabby. I have a buddy who knew him at WVa (he was the head football trainer at the time).

Of course Todd won the MNC, so there's that.
Hostetler went on and played several years in the NFL. I don't think he suffered from being beat out by Blackledge at Penn State :)

Hostetler went on and played several years in the NFL. I don't think he suffered from being beat out by Blackledge at Penn State :)

Nope. Todd always noted that he got the MNC but Hostetler got the girl and the Super Bowl ring.... So it worked out well for both. But it was hard at the time as the Hostetler's were a PSU family and had more than one play for Joe.

Reactions: Jerademan74
I always remember comparing Dan Marino's 33 yard TD pass to John Brown? in the 1981 Sugar Bowl to beat UGA against Blackledge's 47 yard TD pass to Garrity to beat them (and win MNC) the next year. Both passes were thrown from near midfield. Blackledge's was a 55 yard dart whereas Marino's was a 50 yard lob, touch pass. I think Blackledge had a cannon. Of course, Hoss was a better pro than Todd and Marino was the best passer ever in the NFL. Think about the talent we were watching in those days!

Nope. Todd always noted that he got the MNC but Hostetler got the girl and the Super Bowl ring.... So it worked out well for both. But it was hard at the time as the Hostetler's were a PSU family and had more than one play for Joe.
kgilbert: You are so right. I can't think of another circumstance in Penn State football history where a player was beat out by another player and then went on elsewhere to have an even better career than this example. Some think that Pat Devlin was shafted, but he really just ended up being a good QB for Delaware, not an NFL QB though! Both the Hostetler and Devlin families had lineage with Penn State!

I remember Steve Joachim. He was the #1 recruit in the nation in 1970. He backed up John Hufnagel in 1971, throwing a long TD pass (80+ yards, I think) to a back-up WR named Jimmy Scott in the opening game vs Navy. He looked like a superstar in the making, but he transferred to Temple after the 1971 season. Hufnagel had 1 more year in 1972, so I guess Joachim didn't want to wait.

I remember Steve Joachim. He was the #1 recruit in the nation in 1970. He backed up John Hufnagel in 1971, throwing a long TD pass (80+ yards, I think) to a back-up WR named Jimmy Scott in the opening game vs Navy. He looked like a superstar in the making, but he transferred to Temple after the 1971 season. Hufnagel had 1 more year in 1972, so I guess Joachim didn't want to wait.
Hufnagel also was the starter in 1973. I know, because that was my junior year. BTW, we lost to Navy that year in a dreary cold Beaver Stadium rain, 7 -6. Perhaps the worse game I ever was at!

ADVERTISEMENT