ADVERTISEMENT

What was the best pre-game tailgating event you ever attended?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Mine was the Orange Bowl game against FSU I believe in January 2006? Nothing has really come close to the festive attitude everyone demonstrated.

Reactions: es19
I was there. Tailgating started like at 9am.
Game started late. Lots of drunk FSU and PSU fans in the stands! I saw many fights at the game right in our section. People flying over seats. It was pretty scary.

My Fresh & Soph years I sold programs for the games. I would always sell out of my allotment before the game. The best part was all the food & drink the tailgaters would give me. I always turned down offers of alcohol as if you smelled of booze when you cashed in, you were fired. I forget how much per program we would make, but I used to average between $200-300 a game with tips.

Since this was before assigned seating, after I cashed in, I would just wander up into the stands like I was looking to sell programs and sit down with my friends. Of course, by this time, my army duffel and newspaper bags would have a ton of tailgate food wrapped up in foil for me and my guys. I was like Yogi the Bear. We ate like kings. One time I was given an entire casserole of lasagna from one tailgate. We had our own entrance and they didn't search our bags for food.

Had a lot of fun conversations with some of the old timers. My most memorable one was running into my 4th grade teacher who was three sheets to the wind and eager to tell stories of me and my classmates to the rest of her crew.

My Fresh & Soph years I sold programs for the games. I would always sell out of my allotment before the game. The best part was all the food & drink the tailgaters would give me. I always turned down offers of alcohol as if you smelled of booze when you cashed in, you were fired. I forget how much per program we would make, but I used to average between $200-300 a game with tips.

Since this was before assigned seating, after I cashed in, I would just wander up into the stands like I was looking to sell programs and sit down with my friends. Of course, by this time, my army duffel and newspaper bags would have a ton of tailgate food wrapped up in foil for me and my guys. I was like Yogi the Bear. We ate like kings. One time I was given an entire casserole of lasagna from one tailgate. We had our own entrance and they didn't search our bags for food.

Had a lot of fun conversations with some of the old timers. My most memorable one was running into my 4th grade teacher who was three sheets to the wind and eager to tell stories of me and my classmates to the rest of her crew.
That is a great story("Yogi Bear" :cool:) and one of the primary reasons why I still frequent this board AND, ALSO, WHY we must continue to seek out the truth in the BOT's mangling of the Sandusky affair. I want to, once again, "wax nostalgic" with fellow fans about the old days and set the table by inviting younger fans (and students) to enjoy a beverage and a sandwich on me!

Well, my wife and I were newly married and spent Friday night in a little motel outside Bellefonte. We were going to tailgate the next day and she had packed a cooler with an assortment of meats and cheeses. We had Mancini bread from McKees Rocks. We had a couple of bottles of our favorite wine. We also never made it to the stadium.
zz38.gif

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
That is a great story("Yogi Bear" :cool:) and one of the primary reasons why I still frequent this board AND, ALSO, WHY we must continue to seek out the truth in the BOT's mangling of the Sandusky affair. I want to, once again, "wax nostalgic" with fellow fans about the old days and set the table by inviting younger fans (and students) to enjoy a beverage and a sandwich on me!
Me too. I still have the memories, but it's difficult to talk about them in the way I did before our Board's catastrophic handling of the Sandusky Scandal. I'm not sure it will ever be the same as it was in those golden days, but it can be much better than it is now.

Nebraska '82. My first megatailgate before an epic game. Kegs galore. Miles of subs. Several dorm houses of coeds. No worries underage cites back then.

Both Rose Bowls.

The first time we tried and did everything. Getting up at 3:00 am, driving from Orange County in order to get to our parade parking and seats with enough time to stop at some supermarket along the way at 4:30 am and having a deli worker proudly make us a hoagie. Purchase a foam cooler and some ice and beers (only in California can you probably do this at 4:30 am) and other tailgating supplies.

Get to reserved seats, froze asses off u til sun came up on our side of the route, watch parade and then stroled back to rental car parked amongst a mix of PSU'ers and Duck people on the golf course. Lots of pre-game comraderie with an even better finish.
m
2nd Rose Bowl....slept in, drive over from Westwood and skipped the parade...parked on the golf course again only to be surrounded with USC fans. Other than PSU fans, I can't imagine being surrounded with a larger group of kinder, generous fans. No trash talk..just good conversation and wide sharing of tailgate goods. I only wish the game would have met the pre-game experience,

Looking forward to our 3rd Rose Bowl.

My senior year was 1988 when we had our first losing season in like 50 years. You could still bring kegs into the parking lot back then. I think I actually entered two games that fall as we just spent the time in the parking lot drinking and mooching food off of alumni. I remember this one older guy, probably in his 60's, telling us how he invented the blowj*b in the parking lot. Needless to say he was trashed when relating this story. Bad football, but lots of good memories from that fall.

PSU vs Nebraska 2002. Was a few years after I graduated from PSU. We were coming off a few really bad years and took it to the Huskers that night. About 20 of us came into the parking lot together at about 10AM with plenty of beer and hoagies from McClanahans. We parked next to 2 guys who were grilling a pig. We asked how big of a tailgate they were having and they said it was just the 2 of them. They did it once a year and shared their food with their neighbors in the parking lot. We obviously tossed our hoagies aside and feasted on pig all day with our new buddies. Played a lot of cornhole, drank more beers than we should have, had awesome Sept weather, and got to see a great game that night .

Me too. I still have the memories, but it's difficult to talk about them in the way I did before our Board's catastrophic handling of the Sandusky Scandal. I'm not sure it will ever be the same as it was in those golden days, but it can be much better than it is now.

Please don't wait. The time to bring new folks into the fold and teach the next generation of Penn Staters is now. Not later.

Both Rose Bowls.

The first time we tried and did everything. Getting up at 3:00 am, driving from Orange County in order to get to our parade parking and seats with enough time to stop at some supermarket along the way at 4:30 am and having a deli worker proudly make us a hoagie. Purchase a foam cooler and some ice and beers (only in California can you probably do this at 4:30 am) and other tailgating supplies.

Get to reserved seats, froze asses off u til sun came up on our side of the route, watch parade and then stroled back to rental car parked amongst a mix of PSU'ers and Duck people on the golf course. Lots of pre-game comraderie with an even better finish.
m
2nd Rose Bowl....slept in, drive over from Westwood and skipped the parade...parked on the golf course again only to be surrounded with USC fans. Other than PSU fans, I can't imagine being surrounded with a larger group of kinder, generous fans. No trash talk..just good conversation and wide sharing of tailgate goods. I only wish the game would have met the pre-game experience,

Looking forward to our 3rd Rose Bowl.

Both Rose Bowls here too. The weather was beautiful and we had a spread to die for both times. Probably 50 people in our group. Great memories.

Reactions: Jerademan74
The Orange Bowl was a great tailgate. We ended up winning the best tailgate in the lot by the Alum association.

ADVERTISEMENT