ADVERTISEMENT

What the Penn State Alumni Association isn’t selling

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
great editorial by Mary Waldman

LINK

The letter goes on to include the well-known whopping lie: “We receive no money from the University to support our work.” Actually the staff of 80 is paid by the university, and no work could be done without them.

“We are not an advocacy or watchdog group and we don’t aspire to be one.” No, you’re not suppose to be a watchdog group, but you are suppose to be an advocacy group. An alumni association is a membership organization that is suppose to advocate for it’s members, and whatever issues the membership values.

AA is now an extension of the BOT. The 11/09/11 gang on the BOT (aka the Politburo) is ruining our beloved institution. Mr Masser/Mr Williams, as President Reagan said: "the walls must come down" or as Moses said "let my people go."

LINK

The letter goes on to include the well-known whopping lie: “We receive no money from the University to support our work.” Actually the staff of 80 is paid by the university, and no work could be done without them.

“We are not an advocacy or watchdog group and we don’t aspire to be one.” No, you’re not suppose to be a watchdog group, but you are suppose to be an advocacy group. An alumni association is a membership organization that is suppose to advocate for it’s members, and whatever issues the membership values.

What isn't the PSU alumni association selling? Truth, honesty, honor, integrity.

I guess my question would be if they aren't an advocacy group then why do they exist and why should alumni join or support them in any way?

What isn't the PSU alumni association selling? Truth, honesty, honor, integrity.

I guess my question would be if they aren't an advocacy group then why do they exist and why should alumni join or support them in any way?

what appalls me is how much the bilked their members to shill for MBNA, made Freeh millions, then let him come back and burn the University to the ground

what appalls me is how much the bilked their members to shill for MBNA, made Freeh millions, then let him come back and burn the University to the ground

Yep. They don't represent alumni at all. They are simply a fundraising arm of the university meant to get as much money from alumni as possible. They don't actually care about alumni concerns- they just want the money and then you to shut up and go away.

LINK

The Mission statement does not mention advocacy:

http://alumni.psu.edu/about_us/overview
"Mission
The mission of the Alumni Association is to connect alumni to the University and to each other, to provide valued services to members, and to support the University's mission of teaching, research, and service.

Today, that mission is brought to life through events and programs such as:

• City Lights educational and cultural programs in five major East Coast cities;
  • pep rallies at all away football games;
  • Huddle with the Faculty lectures before all home football games;
  • reunion weekends;
  • Homecoming events, and so much more.
The mission is also embodied in the Alumni Association's commitment to recognize outstanding alumni and alumni volunteers through its award programs.
"

The Mission statement does not mention advocacy:

http://alumni.psu.edu/about_us/overview
"Mission
The mission of the Alumni Association is to connect alumni to the University and to each other, to provide valued services to members, and to support the University's mission of teaching, research, and service.

Today, that mission is brought to life through events and programs such as:

• City Lights educational and cultural programs in five major East Coast cities;
  • pep rallies at all away football games;
  • Huddle with the Faculty lectures before all home football games;
  • reunion weekends;
  • Homecoming events, and so much more.
The mission is also embodied in the Alumni Association's commitment to recognize outstanding alumni and alumni volunteers through its award programs.
"
OK. Then I'd love to know why the PSAA can't do that without having representation on the BoT. Nowhere in that mission statement does it say the PSAA seeks an oversight role within the university hierarchy. "Supporting" the university implies a reactionary response to university policy.

OK. Then I'd love to know why the PSAA can't do that without having representation on the BoT. Nowhere in that mission statement does it say the PSAA seeks an oversight role within the university hierarchy. "Supporting" the university implies a reactionary response to university policy.

Aarghh.
I had this "argument" by email with Mr. Williams, so you have to believe that everyone is being told from the top down how to characterize this. No money changes hands
for the employees paid for by the University but who work for the Alumni Association, and also for the benefits of all. So, the AA feels they can say they get no money. [This is a change from when they said they were not funded by the University.]
However, their accountants don't think it is irrelevant, and the AA in its Strategic Plan don't show it as being irrelevant. They refer to it as "financial support".
The "financial support" for FY2012-2013 was $2,822,070 and the FY2015-2016 figure is shown as $3,268,000. This is money spent and rightly is a cash amount funded by the University for the PSAA. Yes cash; and cash is money (thank you Yogi).

Straight from the AA Strategic Plan, as follows,
from page 7
10. Ensure that University financial support of the Alumni Association continues at current
(23.5 percent of total revenue) or greater levels and that it stays at least consistent with
inflation.

Here's the link for the referenced Strategic Plan. Look for the colorful pie charts of Revenue:
http://alumni.psu.edu/about_us/strategic-plan-2013-15

Reactions: simons96
I am fast coming to the point where I believe that those who donate to or annually pay dues to this alumni association are not just making a mistake, they need to be actively discouraged. it is becoming a badge people ought to be ashamed to wear.

Reactions: simons96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT