ADVERTISEMENT

What is the NCAA rule on "consultants"?

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
When is a consultant (Jim Haslett) just a consultant and not an assistant coach? Isn't there some kind of slippery slope here and that can lead to a violation?

That's a good question. My guess is that it would have something to do with player contact. So if you are not actually "coaching" a player, you are free to help with strategy and tactics with the coaching staff.

That's a good question. My guess is that it would have something to do with player contact. So if you are not actually "coaching" a player, you are free to help with strategy and tactics with the coaching staff.
I hope Uncle Lar chimes in here, as I respect his knowledge of the rules, but I believe in modern day NCAA CFB, the consultant can not be on the field coaching. Game day? That's a different matter, I am not sure what they can do, or where they can be( sideline?? Press box? etc)
Dick Rod at scUM got in trouble for this, and by extension WVU. It wasn't because he hired consultants, it was because he had all those others (Dir of FB operations, Dir of HS relations etc) on the field coaching. IIRC even holding a blocking bag is considered coaching. The only coaches allowed on the field are the HC, 9 FT coaches, the GA for FB. the S& C staff can only be there to help with stretching. All the other guys can not participate on the field.

When is a consultant (Jim Haslett) just a consultant and not an assistant coach? Isn't there some kind of slippery slope here and that can lead to a violation?
It not a slippery slope. Schools have been using them all the time. Sometimes they are called other names. Basically they just can not work with players in practice or during games.

The NCAA has very strict rules on who can coach and what is considered coaching. Consultants can do pretty much anything than coaching. They can observe practices, but not participate. Analyze film, help with game plans, administrative duties, etc. It's their interaction with the players is what is closely defined and regulated. Lar will probably have more info.

I hope Uncle Lar chimes in here, as I respect his knowledge of the rules, but I believe in modern day NCAA CFB, the consultant can not be on the field coaching. Game day? That's a different matter, I am not sure what they can do, or where they can be( sideline?? Press box? etc)
Dick Rod at scUM got in trouble for this, and by extension WVU. It wasn't because he hired consultants, it was because he had all those others (Dir of FB operations, Dir of HS relations etc) on the field coaching. IIRC even holding a blocking bag is considered coaching. The only coaches allowed on the field are the HC, 9 FT coaches, the GA for FB. the S& C staff can only be there to help with stretching. All the other guys can not participate on the field.

The NCAA allows consultants to advise and work with the staff. They cannot coach the actual athletes - and that includes both game day and practices.

s
The NCAA allows consultants to advise and work with the staff. They cannot coach the actual athletes - and that includes both game day and practices.
so on game day, can they be in the coaches box? Can they go to the locker room at half time? (I would guess yes to the first, no to the second, and I assume they cant be on the sideline during games, but could observe practice if they choose)

s

so on game day, can they be in the coaches box? Can they go to the locker room at half time? (I would guess yes to the first, no to the second, and I assume they cant be on the sideline during games, but could observe practice if they choose)

Probably not a good idea fro them to be in the press box or the locker room since they're not allowed to have exchanges with the coaches or players regarding the conduct of the game. Nothing stops them from taking notes and sharing observations later (i.e. after the game).

ADVERTISEMENT