ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Verkleeren

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
josh Lowe was saying he was disoriented as he held on for the win and others are saying his opponent should be disqualified.

josh Lowe was saying he was disoriented as he held on for the win and others are saying his opponent should be disqualified.
He got choked out. Opponent had him in a front head and tried to roll him for exposure. Common move in freco but this was tight and Verkleeran fought it til he went out. Was not illegal and I doubt malicious intent. Refs probably let it go longer than they should cause it looked bad for a while. I was not a fan of the antics once action stopped. I understand being pumped after finally scoring some points in a match you were down 8-0 but it was clear that the kid was in distress on the mat.

He got choked out. Opponent had him in a front head and tried to roll him for exposure. Common move in freco but this was tight and Verkleeran fought it til he went out. Was not illegal and I doubt malicious intent. Refs probably let it go longer than they should cause it looked bad for a while. I was not a fan of the antics once action stopped. I understand being pumped after finally scoring some points in a match you were down 8-0 but it was clear that the kid was in distress on the mat.
Thanks for the explanation.

I was very surprised that they stopped the match and removed points from the score board. I have very rarely seen a situation where the wrestler getting choked out doesnt get pinned or tech falled. Fortunately for Verkleeren they went out of bounds, stopped the match, gave him recovery time, and took away points from his opponent. Kind of unheard of!?

Not FS but Kolat had a front headlock on Yates at the BIG tourny his freshman year and pinned him from there. After a consultation the pin was waved off and the match continued. Kolat won the bout but it was rumored that Yates went after him in the halls!

Not FS but Kolat had a front headlock on Yates at the BIG tourny his freshman year and pinned him from there. After a consultation the pin was waved off and the match continued. Kolat won the bout but it was rumored that Yates went after him in the halls!

Then there are 2 situations where the "choked " wrestler was given the benefit in the situation but I can think of at least a dozen times that I have seen a wrestler get teched or pinned after being constricted!

Not quite my recollection.. I was there and thought CK body slammed him and he had the wind knocked out and was pinned. Refs consulted forever and let it stand. Yates then lost it and made a scene. Don't know about the hallway.

ADVERTISEMENT