ADVERTISEMENT

What current MLB players are the best ever at their position for their team?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Three that came to my mind right away are:
Chapman - Left handed relief pitcher for Cincinnati, Andrew McCutchen all-time Pirates Center fielder and Chase Utley - Phillies 2nd baseman. Not sure if either of the Waner brothers were center fielders.
Molina - Cards catcher over Ted Simmons? Or am I forgetting an old-time Cardinals catcher?
Others? Thoughts?

Chapman - Left handed relief pitcher for Cincinnati, Andrew McCutchen all-time Pirates Center fielder and Chase Utley - Phillies 2nd baseman. Not sure if either of the Waner brothers were center fielders.
Molina - Cards catcher over Ted Simmons? Or am I forgetting an old-time Cardinals catcher?
Others? Thoughts?
I think you're right that it's either Molina or Simmons. Buster Posey - best Giants' catcher?

Others? Thoughts?

Lloyd "Little Poison" Waner played CF for the Pirates in the 20's and 30's and is in the MLB Hall of Fame. Cutch has a ways to go yet to surpass him. Big brother "Big Poison" Paul played RF and is also in the HOF.

Tulo, best Toronto SS
He was also the best Rockies SS.
Is Mike Trout already the best Angel CF ever? Giancarlo Stanton RF for Marlins, Evan Longoria 3B Rays. New franchises so they probably shouldnt be considered.

Without really researching who came before them I may be forgetting:

David Wright - 3B, Mets
Andrelton Simmons - SS, Braves (glove is insane)
Ryan Braun - LF, Brewers
Miguel Cabrera - 1B, Tigers
Alex Rodriguez - 3B, Yankees
Jose Bautista - LF, Blue Jays

Lloyd Waner is not that good.

.316 BA over 18 seasons. Twice hit over .350. The Pirates infield played "in" because of his speed in the OF. This was in an era when the IF typically played deep.

He was pretty good.

Last edited:
Others? Thoughts?
I would agree with McCutchen if you consider hitting and fielding. If you only consider fielding, I think Bill Virdon was better.

Reactions: john4psu
Without really researching who came before them I may be forgetting:

David Wright - 3B, Mets
Andrelton Simmons - SS, Braves (glove is insane)
Ryan Braun - LF, Brewers
Miguel Cabrera - 1B, Tigers
Alex Rodriguez - 3B, Yankees
Jose Bautista - LF, Blue Jays

Cabrera is a good one, not so sure about this But do you consider Hank Aaron on Milwaukee as well as the Braves?

Wherever Pujols is playing, he's gotta be the best ever for that team (Angels?)....

Pujols sure wasn't the best first baseman ever for the Cards when he played there. Recall Stan Musial?

Oh, no doubt - but, Stan the Man played for 22 or 23 years. Pujols has played half that, and his numbers match up pretty well:

Musial - 24 x All Star, 3 x World Series Championships, 3 x NL MVP, .331 BA, 475 HR, 3,630 Hits, 1,951 RBI

Pujols - 10 x All Star, 2 x World Series Championships, 3 x NL MVP, .314 BA, 550 HR, 2,616 Hits, 1,667 RBI

Musial played roughly 1/3 of his career at 1B, I consider him more of an outfielder

Oh, no doubt - but, Stan the Man played for 22 or 23 years. Pujols has played half that, and his numbers match up pretty well:

Musial - 24 x All Star, 3 x World Series Championships, 3 x NL MVP, .331 BA, 475 HR, 3,630 Hits, 1,951 RBI

Pujols - 10 x All Star, 2 x World Series Championships, 3 x NL MVP, .314 BA, 550 HR, 2,616 Hits, 1,667 RBI
As bison posts above, Musial played 1890 games in the OF and 1016 at 1B. Musial played 22 seasons. LINK: Stan Musial

24 all-star games in a 22 year career? Between 1959-1962 there were 2 all-star games per year.

This is Pujols' 15th season. LINK: Albert Pujols

If I'm not mistaken, I thought about Aaron with Milwaukee, but that was with the Milwaukee Braves later to be the Atlanta Braves not the Brewers. He did, however, finish his career in Milwaukee with the Brewers.

Decent argument that Cabrera is not yet the Tiger's best first basemen every. I would still give that to Greenberg though at least now there is an argument. Greenberg missed 3 plus years to WWII and was the AL MVP in 1940.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT