ADVERTISEMENT

Went to see Oil City’s Ethen Knox

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
You know, the kid that had five 400 had games last year and broke Derrick Henrey’s single season high school record last year.

They played Sat night at Franklin so drove up to see this kid.Had a FANTASTIC time.

First he has had a slow start to the season first game he had only 218 yds and 6 TDs on 11 carries as the team won 76-0. Second game he had 42 carries for 366 yds and 3 TDs. Team won 44-7. Third game he was out with an injury as paper said he ‘was on the sidelines in street clothes and walking with a slight limp”……don’t know what the injury was.

So get to the game and it was awesome. Lots of excited fans, both teams boosters were selling stuff…never saw a visiting team selling team stuff. The visiting Oilers were selling White Out t-shirts for $12 so I bought one. Roudy student sections.

The Oil City team took the field with a trophy stand topped with a state Rt 8 highway sign as both towns are on Rt 8 about ten miles apart. Turns out this was the 145th meeting of the Rt Eight Rivalry! Had no idea…..but trophy was almost as beautiful and inspiring as the Land Grant Trophy!

Game started out slow as defense prevailed. Knox looked a little gimpy first couple possessions and the Franklin D was shooting gaps and making hits in the back field. It was obvious that they keyed on Knox knowing if they stop him, they have a chance. Was similar to watching how teams keyed on Barkley. Knox had a couple good runs but was also tackled for losses several times. In second qtr he started to run with more confidence and did much better. Oilers up 14-8 at the half.

Oilers made some adjustments on the line at half time and Knox opened it up. Ended up with 260 yds and 4 TDs. Didn’t play defense as he wasn’t 100%. Oilers won 36-15.

Kid got better as game went on. Looks a lot like K Allen as he has great vision, picks way through the D, has great lateral movement, is very slippery, and has decent power. Gets consistent 8-12 yards picking his way through. But he doesn’t have explosive acceleration that scouts love. He has decent speed but takes several steps to get there.

Don’t know if he is top talent. A) he wasn’t 100%. B) his line was getting wooped in the first half. C) It is a small school but Franklin was Journey Brown’s school. Nope he doesn’t have JB speed.

He is 6’. 190 lbs. As we left the stands he came over right in front of us and the student body and cheered the crowd. And he looked like a solid physical specimen. And two years in a top tier weight training/nutritonal program he could easily be 210-220 in two years.

Hope some school gives him a shot. Below is a very good write of the game with a couple videos….

Last edited:
The UGA RB Cash Jones, who scored the clinching TD vs USC(E) Saturday is a walk on. Imagine how hard this kid must bust it in practice to get meaningful snaps in that RB room.

As he lined up for the play I noticed how skinny his arms were and thought hmmmm...odd for a Dl RB. Then he scooted untouched around the RT for the score.

Many made fun of Drew Astorino as a small town stud....but he ended up starting for us for a few years. When given the opportunity the best player sees the field. Look at Stetson Bennett as another UGA example.

I'm on the opposite end of our Commonwealth- and enjoyed your write up. Sounds decidedly old school. Good luck to the kid!

I saw a little of him. He's got two strikes: his skills sets are more intangible and he plays for a small school.

He just eats up yards but he isn't big, quick, or fast. He is like Kaytron in that you give him the ball and look up and he gained 6 yards no matter the blocking. His stats jump off the page. But scouts can't measure it and feed it to the services/coaches on an Excel spreadsheet. And then because he is doing it at a smaller school, one wonders what he'd do against a 300 lb DT and 250 DE.

Did he camp anywhere?

My bet is that he ends up at Buffalo or Kent. If he plays well, he can portal up to a MN, Purdue or Pitt. Shools like PSU, UM and tOSU will probably be out of reach.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I saw a little of him. He's got two strikes: his skills sets are more intangible and he plays for a small school.

He just eats up yards but he isn't big, quick, or fast. He is like Kaytron in that you give him the ball and look up and he gained 6 yards no matter the blocking. His stats jump off the page. But scouts can't measure it and feed it to the services/coaches on an Excel spreadsheet. And then because he is doing it at a smaller school, one wonders what he'd do against a 300 lb DT and 250 DE.

Did he camp anywhere?

My bet is that he ends up at Buffalo or Kent. If he plays well, he can portal up to a MN, Purdue or Pitt. Shools like PSU, UM and tOSU will probably be out of reach.
Small school kid Derek Bohna played very well for PSU for 4 years.

He did, and I saw him up close and personal in high school. But you need to remember that even as good as he was, and he’s faster than this Knox kid, he was moved to defensive back rather than running back.
Bochna definitely had the speed. When he was a freshman, he caught one of FSUs “southern speed” guys from behind on a punt return. He was the only PSU player I can think of who they split wide to rush field goal tries. I heard he lost some speed when he hurt his ankle playing baseball, so he moved to safety.

As far as the move from offense, PSU needed a cornerback when he was a freshman. Unfortunately he seemed to prove the decision right because his hands were not good. Like Ike Taylor, he may have set some int records if he did.

Did he camp anywhere?

At this point, he appears to only have offers from Western PA D2 schools, and not even a Duquesne or Robert Morris. Great story, but he appears to be destined for D2, as he’s had enough press that he’s known to recruiters. One of his teammates, a lineman, is committed to West Point. His tape has been seen.

Reactions: Obliviax
At this point, he appears to only have offers from Western PA D2 schools, and not even a Duquesne or Robert Morris. Great story, but he appears to be destined for D2, as he’s had enough press that he’s known to recruiters. One of his teammates, a lineman, is committed to West Point. His tape has been seen.
I checked his Twitter, he claims offers from just Mercyhurst and West Liberty at this point. He seems to at least be a lower level FCS player, but what do I know?

I checked his Twitter, he claims offers from just Mercyhurst and West Liberty at this point. He seems to at least be a lower level FCS player, but what do I know?
He visited Pitt and Youngstown St but no offers. PSU is loaded at RB so no way we ever offer.

He is not big time talent but seems he is worth a mid major shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: diontechristmas
Are you kidding me. Get him a one year nil deal to cover tuition and dorms and bring him on as a preferred walk-on. If it doesn't work out nothing lost. We miss on over 50% of our scholarship players every year.

Good write up, thanks. That 61 yds pass play was a thing of beauty. The QB fired a bullet that went 60 yds in the air and hit the receiver perfectly. And it really changed the momentum and forced Franklin to respect the pass.

The end of the article “Oil Spills and Knight Life“ was pretty funny. And the pic of their revered trophy of the Rt 8 sign was great.

Did he camp anywhere?

This is the type of PA kid that Iowa takes and develops into starters.

Reactions: Hero17
https://explorevenango.com/i-feel-l...ter-he-was-temporarily-paralyzed-during-game/

Meanwhile, another Oil City player who was lifeflighted two weeks ago will suit up again.
He was on the sidelines in street clothes when I was there. I asked a student in front of me how he was doing and she pointed him out and said he just had the wind knocked out of him. I said they don’t lifeflight you to Pittsburgh just for that. She said they ran a whole pile of tests and didn’t find any injuries and that he will be allowed to play again.

Thanks for the article as it explains it pretty well. Three football players were all flown to Childrens that night. And Oil City had a prayer for the Karns City kid prior to the game in which this kid was hurt even though they don’t play and are guessin 75 miles apart.

Reactions: Ghost of Hud
Wind knocked out of him? That's kind of strange! His mother was keeping everyone updated on Facebook all day Saturday and Sunday. Funny thing ( not ha, ha funny), is part of his toe was cut off in a lawnmower accident over the summer. Playing football seemed doubtful. But he came back from that and was playing from the start.
There were three or four kids seriously injured that night. A player from Jersey Shore died, but you are probably aware of that.

You know, the kid that had five 400 had games last year and broke Derrick Henrey’s single season high school record last year.

They played Sat night at Franklin so drove up to see this kid.Had a FANTASTIC time.

First he has had a slow start to the season first game he had only 218 yds and 6 TDs on 11 carries as the team won 76-0. Second game he had 42 carries for 366 yds and 3 TDs. Team won 44-7. Third game he was out with an injury as paper said he ‘was on the sidelines in street clothes and walking with a slight limp”……don’t know what the injury was.

So get to the game and it was awesome. Lots of excited fans, both teams boosters were selling stuff…never saw a visiting team selling team stuff. The visiting Oilers were selling White Out t-shirts for $12 so I bought one. Roudy student sections.

The Oil City team took the field with a trophy stand topped with a state Rt 8 highway sign as both towns are on Rt 8 about ten miles apart. Turns out this was the 145th meeting of the Rt Eight Rivalry! Had no idea…..but trophy was almost as beautiful and inspiring as the Land Grant Trophy!

Game started out slow as defense prevailed. Knox looked a little gimpy first couple possessions and the Franklin D was shooting gaps and making hits in the back field. It was obvious that they keyed on Knox knowing if they stop him, they have a chance. Was similar to watching how teams keyed on Barkley. Knox had a couple good runs but was also tackled for losses several times. In second qtr he started to run with more confidence and did much better. Oilers up 14-8 at the half.

Oilers made some adjustments on the line at half time and Knox opened it up. Ended up with 260 yds and 4 TDs. Didn’t play defense as he wasn’t 100%. Oilers won 36-15.

Kid got better as game went on. Looks a lot like K Allen as he has great vision, picks way through the D, has great lateral movement, is very slippery, and has decent power. Gets consistent 8-12 yards picking his way through. But he doesn’t have explosive acceleration that scouts love. He has decent speed but takes several steps to get there.

Don’t know if he is top talent. A) he wasn’t 100%. B) his line was getting wooped in the first half. C) It is a small school but Franklin was Journey Brown’s school. Nope he doesn’t have JB speed.

He is 6’. 190 lbs. As we left the stands he came over right in front of us and the student body and cheered the crowd. And he looked like a solid physical specimen. And two years in a top tier weight training/nutritonal program he could easily be 210-220 in two years.

Hope some school gives him a shot. Below is a very good write of the game with a couple videos….

Just so you know: Ethen announced Friday morning (2.2) on X (Twitter) that he's headed to Mercyhurst. Said in a PM that he will stay at RB for now. Was originally projected -- before all the yards and records -- as a Division II S/LB. So we"ll see.

Just so you know: Ethen announced Friday morning (2.2) on X (Twitter) that he's headed to Mercyhurst. Said in a PM that he will stay at RB for now. Was originally projected -- before all the yards and records -- as a Division II S/LB. So we"ll see.
Thanks. Was looking for info just a week ago.

I talked to people from his school during the playoff game against Sharon at Slippery Rock University. All said he was a great kid, honor roll student. Wish him great success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT