ADVERTISEMENT

WE ARE...

joedirt47

Jun 30, 2015
So I was vacationing last week with my family and a buddy and his family. My buddy and I took a leave from our families to take in a round of golf. Coming out of the clubhouse at the turn (hot dogs in hand - no ketchup!) I spot another guy walking in wearing a Penn State golf shirt. This was in Virginia - not the strangest thing to see in Virginia, but pretty cool. I send out the "We are!" to the guy as we pass (I think he was just about to start his round), and he just kinda chuckles at me. Maybe he didn't hear me? I point to my hat and try it again: "We are!" He looked more confused than ever. So I asked if he was a Penn State fan. He said he was and he graduated in '92 or something. I asked if he had ever been to a game. He said he had season tickets until about 10 years ago or so, but moved away and couldn't go anymore. So I asked how he might not know the "We are / Penn State" cheer. He said he'd never heard it. WTF?!? I told my buddy about it later, it really upset him. He finally calmed down, thinking it must be a Pitt fan or tO$U fan, out to make Penn State fans look bad. (The guy was REALLY fat, by the way - I'm beginning to think he really was a sPitt fan.)

Anyway, what are the chances someone could have graduated in '92, and have gone to games as recently as '05 and NOT know that cheer? And why would someone spend all that energy to try to make Penn State fans look bad?

Reactions: TMS1950
So I was vacationing last week with my family and a buddy and his family. My buddy and I took a leave from our families to take in a round of golf. Coming out of the clubhouse at the turn (hot dogs in hand - no ketchup!) I spot another guy walking in wearing a Penn State golf shirt. This was in Virginia - not the strangest thing to see in Virginia, but pretty cool. I send out the "We are!" to the guy as we pass (I think he was just about to start his round), and he just kinda chuckles at me. Maybe he didn't hear me? I point to my hat and try it again: "We are!" He looked more confused than ever. So I asked if he was a Penn State fan. He said he was and he graduated in '92 or something. I asked if he had ever been to a game. He said he had season tickets until about 10 years ago or so, but moved away and couldn't go anymore. So I asked how he might not know the "We are / Penn State" cheer. He said he'd never heard it. WTF?!? I told my buddy about it later, it really upset him. He finally calmed down, thinking it must be a Pitt fan or tO$U fan, out to make Penn State fans look bad. (The guy was REALLY fat, by the way - I'm beginning to think he really was a sPitt fan.)

Anyway, what are the chances someone could have graduated in '92, and have gone to games as recently as '05 and NOT know that cheer? And why would someone spend all that energy to try to make Penn State fans look bad?

Boy, I had to go back and read your third of fourth sentence. Thought you mentioned you had a dog w/ketchup because in past postings dogs w/ketchup were frowned upon.

In 2005, I weighed 200 lbs, today I look like a pear weighing in at 255. Hoping to correct the weight when I lose my craving for bourbon & food. I also wear a white or blue hat when out in public with the lettering PENN STATE ALUMNI. Hope you wouldn't consider me a Pitter.

The way many of the public still view PSU and alumni, I don't believe any one cognizant aside from the Penn State community would be seen in public with PSU apparel to embarrass our PSU community. My hats Sir:
penn-state-alumni-hat-in-white-2__07376.1400270467.200.200.jpg

Last edited:
Chances of them not knowing the WE ARE chant? Literally Zero. Even sPitters would know that cheer.

Chances of them not knowing the WE ARE chant? Literally Zero. Even sPitters would know that cheer.
Yeah. This part, "He said he had season tickets until about 10 years ago or so, but moved away and couldn't go anymore." sure doesn't ring true.

Didn't someone in here refer to his tee shirt or hat wearing neighbor (a non Irish alum) as a Wal Mart ND fan? Same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT