ADVERTISEMENT

WE Are..............now set in stone

Fayette_LION

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Courtesy Penn State
A crew from Penn State's Office of Physical Plant places the new 'We Are' sculpture, a gift from Penn State's Class of 2013, in a foundation outside the Intramural Building on June 30, 2015.

Wednesday - July 1, 2015

By Centre Daily Times
Wednesday, July 1, 2015, 7:33 a.m. Updated 11 hours ago

We are.

Those two words, just five letters, are the battle cry of every Nittany Lion. With the response, “Penn State!” the phrase says not that the university is where you attended but that you are part of the fabric of the school's community.

And now, it stands tall on campus.

On Tuesday, the university installed a 12-foot sculpture of Penn State's prideful call, rendered in shining steel letters standing on a rock-solid concrete foundation. The art installation is a gift from the Class of 2013 and stands at the corner of University Drive and Curtin Road near the Intramural Building.

The sculpture, designed by State College Area High School grad and Penn State alumnus Jonathan Cramer, was approved in January 2014, but the finished product represents almost two years of work.

“I think this gift really expresses the pride we feel for this university, and I hope it will inspire that same pride in all the classes to come after us,” said Morgan Delaware, overall chair of the Senior Class Gift Committee, when announcing the gift in 2012.

Graduating classes have been leaving their marks on the campus for generations. Sometimes they put their names to icons like the Nittany Lion shrine (originally given by the Class of 1940), but sometimes the gifts are bigger or smaller, visible or quiet.

“They run from landmark, high-profile locations and rooms in buildings to scholarships or book funds,” said Geoff Hallett, assistant director of annual giving.

Sometimes, he said, they represent ways the class can step up and help with something the university had already planned. The Class of 2012, for example, added to the value of the Nittany Lion shrine by funding a project to make it more accessible, something Penn State officials had already identified as a need.

Others put money toward projects that are not on the administration's radar but still work toward the overall goals of Penn State.

“I think this is a little bit of both,” Hallett said. “There is lot of pride and history and lore behind the ‘We Are' chant, and it conveys that sense of unity among all Penn Staters. Plus, it is in a very high-traffic location. Every visitor to campus is going to see this testament to Penn State unity.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/8664912-74/penn-state-class#ixzz3ejYftlLI
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

I am not big on Class Gifts, unless they fund scholarships, but certainly the Nittany Lion Shrine, given by the class of 1940, was the best ever in Penn State history and may be unequalled anywhere. On the minus side, in my opinion the Class of 1978 Victory Bell was the worst ever.

Reactions: step.eng69
I like it. It looks like a mirrored finish so it will look different from every angle and likely will not photograph well. This also serves as another reminder as to how incredibly lame my class's gift was.

I like it. It looks like a mirrored finish so it will look different from every angle and likely will not photograph well. This also serves as another reminder as to how incredibly lame my class's gift was.

Wow. If this gift shows up your class gift......I don't know what to say. ;). Hopefully next year's class puts in something nice like a fountain around campus rather than more of this 'art'. ;)

Saw the statue yesterday and I really liked it. It is very clean looking, extremely shiny and looks appropriate nestled in between IM / BJC / Beaver Stadium / Hockey Rink.

I really liked it.

Reactions: #OneTeam#NextLevel
I was skeptical when they released the renderings back when the design was announced. Seeing it in person has not changed my opinion. It's simplistic, chintzy and has no context. It looks like someone took a cheap, bubble gum machine necklace charm and made it 12 feet tall.

Frankly, I think the former Tumarkin homage to Capa sculpture on HUB lawn (aka the red onion head) was more intriguing.

Homage to Capra was taken down in 2002, supposedly for maintenance and relocation, never to return anywhere to my knowledge. I suspect that the HUB shooting played a role as well.

Reactions: fairgambit

Courtesy Penn State
A crew from Penn State's Office of Physical Plant places the new 'We Are' sculpture, a gift from Penn State's Class of 2013, in a foundation outside the Intramural Building on June 30, 2015.

Wednesday - July 1, 2015

By Centre Daily Times

We are.

Those two words, just five letters, are the battle cry of every Nittany Lion. With the response, “Penn State!” the phrase says not that the university is where you attended but that you are part of the fabric of the school's community.

On Tuesday, the university installed a 12-foot sculpture of Penn State's prideful call, rendered in shining steel letters standing on a rock-solid concrete foundation. The art installation is a gift from the Class of 2013 and stands at the corner of University Drive and Curtin Road near the Intramural Building.

The sculpture, designed by State College Area High School grad and Penn State alumnus Jonathan Cramer, was approved in January 2014, but the finished product represents almost two years of work.

“I think this gift really expresses the pride we feel for this university, and I hope it will inspire that same pride in all the classes to come after us,” said Morgan Delaware, overall chair of the Senior Class Gift Committee, when announcing the gift in 2012.

Graduating classes have been leaving their marks on the campus for generations. Sometimes they put their names to icons like the Nittany Lion shrine (originally given by the Class of 1940), but sometimes the gifts are bigger or smaller, visible or quiet.

“They run from landmark, high-profile locations and rooms in buildings to scholarships or book funds,” said Geoff Hallett, assistant director of annual giving.

Sometimes, he said, they represent ways the class can step up and help with something the university had already planned. The Class of 2012, for example, added to the value of the Nittany Lion shrine by funding a project to make it more accessible, something Penn State officials had already identified as a need.

Others put money toward projects that are not on the administration's radar but still work toward the overall goals of Penn State.

“I think this is a little bit of both,” Hallett said. “There is lot of pride and history and lore behind the ‘We Are' chant, and it conveys that sense of unity among all Penn Staters. Plus, it is in a very high-traffic location. Every visitor to campus is going to see this testament to Penn State unity.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/8664912-74/penn-state-class#ixzz3ejYftlLI

I predict this will become one of the more popular on-campus photo op sites, along with the lion statue and the statue of Joe Paterno -- oh, wait.

Reactions: fairgambit
Wow. If this gift shows up your class gift......I don't know what to say. ;). Hopefully next year's class puts in something nice like a fountain around campus rather than more of this 'art'. ;)
My class gave the "Living Machine." The description reads:
The Living Machine, which is located at the Center for Sustainability by Porter Road, is an ecologically sound
water-treatment facility designed to turn murky water into crystal clear, fresh water. It is chemical and odor-free
and costs less to operate than conventional waste treatment techniques. The Living Machine is made up of a
series of tanks with live plants, trees, grass, algae, koi, goldfish, tiny freshwater shrimp, snails, and a plethora of
microorganisms and bacteria. Each tank is a mini-ecosystem designed to eat or break down waste in about four
days

I know, it's hard to believe people aren't lining up to take photos of this majestic landmark on campus. o_O

I predict this will become one of the more popular on-campus photo op sites, along with the lion statue and the statue of Joe Paterno -- oh, wait.
Sarcasm aside, I do believe it will become one of the more popular photo op spots on campus.

I was skeptical when they released the renderings back when the design was announced. Seeing it in person has not changed my opinion. It's simplistic, chintzy and has no context. It looks like someone took a cheap, bubble gum machine necklace charm and made it 12 feet tall.

Frankly, I think the former Tumarkin homage to Capa sculpture on HUB lawn (aka the red onion head) was more intriguing.

Homage to Capra was taken down in 2002, supposedly for maintenance and relocation, never to return anywhere to my knowledge. I suspect that the HUB shooting played a role as well.

Tumarkin sculpture will never return. The HUB shooting played a part, but also it was not thought of highly from an artistic standpoint either.

Reactions: 71camaro
Tumarkin sculpture will never return. The HUB shooting played a part, but also it was not thought of highly from an artistic standpoint either.

Trust me, this sculpture isn't going to be getting any glowing reviews on it's artistic merit. However, it will be popular just because anything that is marketed and branded with Penn State sports will be gobbled up by us, the Penn State faithful. Anything other than other than names on jerseys.

Statue of Peetz, Freeh and Emmert where JoePa used to be.....think of the lines to see it.

Trust me, this sculpture isn't going to be getting any glowing reviews on it's artistic merit. However, it will be popular just because anything that is marketed and branded with Penn State sports will be gobbled up by us, the Penn State faithful. Anything other than other than names on jerseys.
When I first saw the drawings for the We Are sculpture over a year ago, I thought it was chunkier with more depth, more squat. I think it would have looked better that way. It seems too lean without much substance to it, especially given its setting. It looks better in person than in the pictures, but it isn't all I was hoping it would be. It will still become hugely popular and a favorite picture taking spot. Overall it's a good addition to campus.

Is it the same in the back as the front?

Maybe students can take photos with Shields Building in the background. "WE ARE" with a sign that says "TAKING ALL OF YOUR MONEY".

This sculpture looks like shit.

A lot better than the artwork my class gave--a Calder mobile that hangs from the ceiling, that probably no one has ever seen.

My class gave the "Living Machine." The description reads:
The Living Machine, which is located at the Center for Sustainability by Porter Road, is an ecologically sound
water-treatment facility designed to turn murky water into crystal clear, fresh water. It is chemical and odor-free
and costs less to operate than conventional waste treatment techniques. The Living Machine is made up of a
series of tanks with live plants, trees, grass, algae, koi, goldfish, tiny freshwater shrimp, snails, and a plethora of
microorganisms and bacteria. Each tank is a mini-ecosystem designed to eat or break down waste in about four
days

I know, it's hard to believe people aren't lining up to take photos of this majestic landmark on campus. o_O

Sarcasm aside, I do believe it will become one of the more popular photo op spots on campus.

I am pretty sure my class handed out Gift Certificates to AMC Movie Theaters

I like it. My wife and I will get a picture taken there the next time we are on campus. We always get a picture taken at The Lion, and I suspect the We Are sculpture will become another regular photo spot for us.

I like it. My wife and I will get a picture taken there the next time we are on campus. We always get a picture taken at The Lion, and I suspect the We Are sculpture will become another regular photo spot for us.

The thing is though.....this sculpture isn't exactly in a picturesque part of campus.

It's better than the class of '69's:

Fund on deposit with the University. Gift to be designated at a later date.

Maybe it could be used to restore Joe's Statue.

Reactions: psu1969a
The thing is though.....this sculpture isn't exactly in a picturesque part of campus.
It's in a prime spot for football game pictures and visitors coming from out of town. It's going to be wildly popular. And if phase III of the IM Building renovation ever goes through, the backdrop won't look too bad.

I like it. I think it will become another must see landmark on the campus, I know next time I'm in the area I will make a point of seeing it...

Reactions: #OneTeam#NextLevel
I am not big on Class Gifts, unless they fund scholarships, but certainly the Nittany Lion Shrine, given by the class of 1940, was the best ever in Penn State history and may be unequalled anywhere. On the minus side, in my opinion the Class of 1978 Victory Bell was the worst ever.
its funny I think the bell is the coolest of them all.

Courtesy Penn State

Wednesday - July 1, 2015

By Centre Daily Times

We are.

Actually, it is polished stainless steel or steel plated chromium which is polished to a high sheen.

My favorite over the past 5 years: 2011 - Penn State Veterans Plaza. For all of those Penn Staters who served so valiantly, WE ARE grateful.

its funny I think the bell is the coolest of them all.
I know friends of mine who like it. I guess I would have no problem with a bell but to me the tone of this one sounds like someone died. When it "rings" it sounds like you're ringing the bell for the men on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

We'll take pictures with anything, so as far as class gifts go, it'll be one that is remembered, albeit useless. It only reads "we are" from directly in front of it, and the backdrop is just hideous. Also it took the tailgating spot of that crew with the disco ball, dance floor, fog machine, etc, so that's not cool. The "E" begs to be climbed, someone is going to get hurt falling off of that for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT