ADVERTISEMENT

Way-too-early lookahead at Penn State's 2015-16 roster

Aug 8, 2010
PSU's 2015 season is only a few days old, but with the freshmen class redshirted, along with two-All-Americans, focus has eagerly and naturally shifted to next season. I've had many readers asking about reports on those who redshirted this season, so after collecting various comments throughout the year and after the NCAA tournament, I've put together a way-too-early preview for the 2015-16 season with individual looks at the redshirts at the link below.

LINK: Way-too-early 2015-16 lookahead

Thanks, Tim. I like the bits of insight, such as:
"After Brown win his NCAA title in St. Louis, Sanderson said, 'Bo Nickal has been very good for Matt Brown because Nickal iss a guy who can score from any position. Brown, he's just a straight-forward guy. He has a hard time with the guys with the tricks.' "

This got me thinking. What was more impressive?

Nolf's 7-4 loss to James Green?

or

Nickal's 10-7 loss to Brown?

Originally posted by crazylegs2:
This got me thinking. What was more impressive?

Nolf's 7-4 loss to James Green?

or

Nickal's 10-7 loss to Brown?
Nolf's win over Realbuto.

While I agree Nolf's win over Realbuto was great, he was just coming off injury and not the same wrestler that we saw at the NCAA's.

Tim,

How about this scary line-up in three years (2017-2018)?

125: Spencer Lee - True Freshman

133: Suriano - RS Freshman or True Sophomore

141: Pletcher - RS Freshman

149: Retherford - RS Senior

157: Joseph - RS Sophomore

165: Nolf - RS Junior

174: Rasheed - RS Junior / Manville RS-Freshman

184: Nickal - RS Junior

197: McCutcheon - RS Senior

Hwt: Nevills - RS Junior

That's a tremendous lineup when Chad Red can't find his way onto the mat.

I was not there/ did not see the match --but weren't at least 3 of Nolf's pts against green on releases. It is the silly season so fine to fantasize --and heaven knows I expect J. Nolf to do extremely well, but maybe a little bit of balance. Hope I'm wrong.
PS: what is the antonym for hyperbolic.

I was at the Scuffle and all of Green's points were off counter attacks. Green was trying to ride Nolf but was unable to and Jason was the aggressor throughout the match. I was very pleased with his performance, Green is a real stud and I think was wrestling better at that time of the year than he was at the end.

I watched it on Flo - Green was glad it was over

If I can remember, he started to kill a lot of time. I'll need to rewatch

Here's the Green-Nolf match

Green needed a break before summoning energy for last takedown. He was in real trouble if match lasted a minute more.

Can't wait for next year.

The Cyborg

Thanks--me too. Assume he is a good bit stronger. You made the months ahead a bit more interesting.

Originally posted by Media Fan:

I was not there/ did not see the match --but weren't at least 3 of Nolf's pts against green on releases. It is the silly season so fine to fantasize --and heaven knows I expect J. Nolf to do extremely well, but maybe a little bit of balance. Hope I'm wrong.
Green was in control that whole match. The score was closer than it really was.

Originally posted by lionlover:

This is the honest evaluation though Jason Nolf may surpass JG's finishes at Nationals... starting year one.

Originally posted by amalone:

This is the honest evaluation though Jason Nolf may surpass JG's finishes at Nationals... starting year one.
Thanks. I love Nolf's future! But, do you think Micah Jordan is getting lost in the conversation?

Originally posted by amalone:

Thanks. I love Nolf's future! But, do you think Micah Jordan is getting lost in the conversation?
Without a doubt LL. Micah could have a a Bo like impact to Ohio State and be another stud that Penn State
has to match... stud for stud.

It shows how hard it is to win consistently at Nationals when James Green took two 7th's and two 3rd's at
Nationals. This was his year... and Isiah Martinez locked down the weight class.

Hope you are doing well, LL. As per your posts.... you're in good form.

You are absolutely wrong - Green did not "release" Nolf even once, Nolf escaped on all of the occasions. The match ended with no riding time advantage and neither wrestler had an advantage at any point during the match. Furthermore, Green generated ZERO points off his own offense and all of his TDs were off "countershots" -- in fact, Green never attempted to shot and Nolf was the aggressor throughout the match (in fact, Green ultimately got called for stalling twice and gave up a point on stalling). If anything, Nolf could have probably kept it a tied match and looked to win in SV or OT if he had adopted Green's BS attitude (e.g., zero offense only counters after the other wrestler has shot unsuccessfully and got out-of-position) -- Green wouldn't have scored any TDs if Nolf simply decided not to shot like Green did!!! But claiming Green dominated that match and "released" Nolf multiple times is complete nonsense and Green was stalling badly in the 3rd period and just "hanging on" while Nolf was dominating the action throughout the latter-half of the 2nd and virtually all of the 3rd. Nolf looked like he would have beaten Green in a rematch once he learned how to neutralize Green's zero-offense only counter-shoot strategy.

Originally posted by Bushwood CC:

You are absolutely wrong - Green did not "release" Nolf even once, Nolf escaped on all of the occasions. The match ended with no riding time advantage and neither wrestler had an advantage at any point during the match. Furthermore, Green generated ZERO points off his own offense and all of his TDs were off "countershots" -- in fact, Green never attempted to shot and Nolf was the aggressor throughout the match (in fact, Green ultimately got called for stalling twice and gave up a point on stalling). If anything, Nolf could have probably kept it a tied match and looked to win in SV or OT if he had adopted Green's BS attitude (e.g., zero offense only counters after the other wrestler has shot unsuccessfully and got out-of-position) -- Green wouldn't have scored any TDs if Nolf simply decided not to shot like Green did!!! But claiming Green dominated that match and "released" Nolf multiple times is complete nonsense and Green was stalling badly in the 3rd period and just "hanging on" while Nolf was dominating the action throughout the latter-half of the 2nd and virtually all of the 3rd. Nolf looked like he would have beaten Green in a rematch once he learned how to neutralize Green's zero-offense only counter-shoot strategy.
If they had an award for "Worst Match Recap of All-Time".....This is would be strong candidate.

Originally posted by Bushwood CC:

Why use a flyswatter when you can use a sledgehammer?

Re: Here's the Green-Nolf match

Originally posted by Chickenman Testa:
Green needed a break before summoning energy for last takedown. He was in real trouble if match lasted a minute more.

Can't wait for next year.
Agree, Green benefited hugely from the blood time due to his bloody nose (he got two blood times, looked exhausted for each and was slow to return to wrestling after both breaks). It should also be noted that none of Green's points were recorded off his own shot - every single one of his TDs came off a "counter-shot" AFTER Nolf had initiated a shot. In fact, I do not believe Green initiated a single shot other then "counter-shots" off of Nolf attempts. Nolf was clearly the aggressor throughout the match and Green was in real trouble in the 3rd, he was called for stalling twice and Nolf clearly had him "hanging on" (Nolf also just missed on several ankle picks in 2nd and 3rd). Had Nolf adopted Green's defensive, only counter-shot attitude, I think he possibly could have won a low scoring match. It is utterly absurd to claim that Green "dominated" this match in any way. If anything, the match was way closer then the score indicated, not the opposite -- anyone who says differently either didn't see the match or knows diddly-squat about wrestling.

Pretty deep and talented room next year! Need some depth at Heavyweight. Any word on possible last minute recruits or transfers? Also need to recruit lower weights in the next couple of years.

125 *Megaludis/ *Conaway (returning AAs)
133 *Conaway/ Gullibon (returning AAs)
141 Gullibon/ Retherford/ Moss/ *Waters (returning AAs, non-qualifier, veteran back-up)
149 Retherford/ Beitz/ Dinmore/ Joseph (returning AA, qualifier, grey shirt, highly-touted recruit)
157 Beitz/ Nolf/ Law/ Dinmore (qualifier, highly-touted redshirt, non-qualifier, grey shirt)
165 Nolf/ Hammonds/ Brill/ Morelli (highly-touted redshirt, non-qualifier, two transfers)
174 Nickal/ Rasheed/ Pagano (highly-touted redshirts, late bloomer)
184 McCutcheon/ Phipps (qualifier, veteran back-up)
197 *McIntosh/ Cassar/ Stout (returning AA, late bloomer, highly-touted recruit)
Hwt Nevills (highly touted redshirt)

*Seniors

guys aren't on the team

TJB,
hard for me to predict a lineup with guys that haven't even verballed yet. It sounds like a great lineup, but methinks it's a bit presumptious to include guys who might be Hawkeyes or Cowboys in college in your prediction

I have thought about and have tossed around several lineups in my head but I wonder and question the biggest thing in a couple years how Manville is going to fit into the lineup, I just don't see him going any bigger than 165, for his size, and I think that would be his max. But when you throw in Joseph and Nolf already being in the room when he arrives and most logical projections at that time of Joseph at 157 and Nolf IMO growing into a strong 165 his RS Soph/JR year and career. With Joseph projected at 157 at that time(manville comes in) where does Manville come in? And I just don't see anyway Nolf is bumping up a weight at that time. Really gonna be interesting to me how this staff is figuring out the Joseph/Manville/Nolf projections in a few years. I just don't see Nolf any bigger than 165 and can't see Joseph any bigger than 157 IMO. Just throwing it our there for discussions I mean I could see Joseph staying at 149 for two years at most he's a pretty thick kid. And like I said I just can't see Nolf going any bigger than 165 for his career.
If you have
Joseph 149 as rs fr
Nolf 157 rs soph

Can Joseph stay at 149 for another year put Manville at 157 and Nolf at 165 for his remainder? I just don't see Joseph staying at 149 I guess is my biggest question? SO how will the fit in Joseph/Manville?

Just to add to that Zain will finish his career at 149 so 149 is locked in at the time Manville enters in
so you have
149 Zain
157?Joseph/Manville
165 Nolf

As I said in previous I just don't see Nolf growing into 174, just don't see it Taylor didn't do it, no way Nolf grows bigger than Taylor. Plus you have Rasheed probably locking down 174 with Nickel locking in 184 by the time Manville is on campus. Just curious how everyone thinks the Manville/Joseph/Nolf combo fits in

Originally posted by barpsu:
Just to add to that Zain will finish his career at 149 so 149 is locked in at the time Manville enters in
so you have
149 Zain
157?Joseph/Manville
165 Nolf

As I said in previous I just don't see Nolf growing into 174, just don't see it Taylor didn't do it, no way Nolf grows bigger than Taylor. Plus you have Rasheed probably locking down 174 with Nickel locking in 184 by the time Manville is on campus. Just curious how everyone thinks the Manville/Joseph/Nolf combo fits in
I think it's a very good problem to have. It's fun to speculate about future lineups, but so many things can change just in the course of a year, let alone the 3 years before Manville will be a RS Frosh that the chance that everything works out just the way we expect them to is pretty much zero. As the saying goes, s**t happens.

125: JC
133: NM
141: JG
149: ZR
157: JN
165: SR
174: BN
184: MCCutch
197: Mac
285: NN

I think Nico has gotten bigger and 133 would seem more appropriate, though, with his discipline, I guess 125 is possible. Of course, that would bump JC to 133.

I'm going to put Rasheed at 165. If he is disciplined, I think he could go at that weight. Hammond, obviously, did not finish well.

I think Nolf is just a mercenary on the mat. He physically does not look the part, but with his motor and determination, I am really looking forward to he and IMar mixing it up.

I'm with you Badman! I posted on the BWI board that I felt if Jimmy was moving to 141, Nico would benefit from the move to 133 as it would allow him to muscle up for his run at the Olympics. With the FS weigh-ins being what they are and if Ramos can come down from his collegiate wt of 133 so could Nico!

My only concern would be isJimmy big enough for 141. If that indeed is the plan, I hope they impliment it ASAP so JG can put good weight on over the summer.

If that is how it goes down that would be one "sick" lineup
3dgrin.r191677.gif

125 Jordan Conaway
133 Nico Megaludis
141 Jimmy Gulibon
149 Zain Retherford
157 Jason Nolf
165 Hammond/Rasheed/Brill & Law if he can bulk up
174 Nickal
184 McCutcheon
197 MacIntosh
285 Nellis

We may have to hold more duals in the BJC with the demand for tickets going off the charts.

This post was edited on 4/7 2:21 PM by BDB57

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but I've added a "Depth Chart" and "Next Year Depth Chart" pages to WrestleStats. This will show the depth that you have at each weight, so you don't have to try and sift through the roster, and/or the eligibility breakdown pages to see how everything looks.

I noticed that Mega was set as a Senior, and therefore, didn't show up on "Next Year's Depth Chart", even though he's redshirting this year. In order to make him show up, I went ahead and changed his class for this year to a Junior.

I still need to add the functionality of "Is Redshirting" and "Has Redshirted", but I'll get to that in a few weeks.

Anyway, here's Penn State's depth chart for next season (fyi - because of caching, Mega won't show up for a day or so...)

http://www.wrestlestats.com/team/nextyeardepthchart/60/penn-state

ADVERTISEMENT