ADVERTISEMENT

way off topic but has anyone had Lasik Surgery done?...

Yes best think I ever did. Got it done in 2000 and eyes are still 20-20

I am an optometrist and a fan of LASIK. I recommend it to patients all of the time. However, you need to be a good candidate, which does not apply to all patients. There are many variables in determining who is a good patient: current prescription type and amount, corneal thickness and curvature, etc. Once someone qualifies, they usually do fantastic. The surgery itself is usually a breeze for patients with a quick and easy recovery. Age is a slight factor too. If you are 45 or older you'll probably still need reading glasses, so expect that. Hope that helps.

I'm thinking of getting it done at LasikPlus and was curious to others opinions.
Thanks.
Yes, got it done 13 years ago while in my mid 40's. Eyesight had been 20/200+ with astigmatism. ---I was, after surgery, and remain, 20/20 or 20/15. Wish this was available when I played football! :) ----I've had no negative issues post surgery. ---Good luck

2 years ago....LasikPlus in Harrisburg. Best money I ever spent - should have done it years ago. I used to wear bifocals, so I had the Monovision done. That is - they corrected one eye for distance and the other eye for reading. Worked out great. Don't need reading glasses now, but I expect that I will as I get older.

FYI - before my procedure, my vision was HORRIBLE. Something like 20/200, legally blind.
And I was 53 when I had it done.

Yes, I got it done about 10 years ago, and now at 47 I am getting to the point I need readers.

I am an optometrist and a fan of LASIK. I recommend it to patients all of the time. However, you need to be a good candidate, which does not apply to all patients. There are many variables in determining who is a good patient: current prescription type and amount, corneal thickness and curvature, etc. Once someone qualifies, they usually do fantastic. The surgery itself is usually a breeze for patients with a quick and easy recovery. Age is a slight factor too. If you are 45 or older you'll probably still need reading glasses, so expect that. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'm 52 but only need glasses for distance and driving.
I've scheduled the appt. to see if I would be a good candidate or not. Fingers crossed. I'm tired of fooling with glasses.

Not a candidate (thin corneas) but I recently had cataract surgery where they implanted lenses. Still in the healing process but it is looking like I won't need glasses for the first time in over 40 years to see ten feet in front of me. My point is even if you're not a candidate for LASIK there are other avenues to getting rid of glasses/contacts. I do need reading glasses now and hit 52 in a month.

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
Warning for you if PRK is recommended for you instead of Lasik. PRK takes months for your eye correction clear and settle unlike LASIK which will be clear in just a few days. Even tho prk took a while to really get good I'm very happy now 6 months afterward.

Also, there is a strong smell of burnt flesh with prk. Its strong enough that my wife was getting I'll from it when she drove me home.

Not a candidate (thin corneas) but I recently had cataract surgery where they implanted lenses. Still in the healing process but it is looking like I won't need glasses for the first time in over 40 years to see ten feet in front of me. My point is even if you're not a candidate for LASIK there are other avenues to getting rid of glasses/contacts. I do need reading glasses now and hit 52 in a month.

That's a good input. I've been recommended for cataract lens replacement and have been debating it with myself for a year. Although about 98 percent of these operations are successful, when it goes wrong the results are debilitating. I don't want to put further burdens on my wife if it should go wrong.

Warning for you if PRK is recommended for you instead of Lasik. PRK takes months for your eye correction clear and settle unlike LASIK which will be clear in just a few days. Even tho prk took a while to really get good I'm very happy now 6 months afterward.

Also, there is a strong smell of burnt flesh with prk. Its strong enough that my wife was getting I'll from it when she drove me home.

+1.

I just had PRK done in early May and was told it would take about 3 months for my eyes to complete heal and my vision to get to where it will be. The first month was kind of weird in that I could actually see, but most things were a little fuzzy. My ability to read books or computer screens seem vary from OK to not very good. It just hit me a about 10 days ago how much my vision had cleared up over the last 2 months. It was such a continual process, you don't realize your vision is clearing up on a day-to-day basis.

Have this procedure done was one the better decisions I have made.

+1.

I just had PRK done in early May and was told it would take about 3 months for my eyes to complete heal and my vision to get to where it will be. The first month was kind of weird in that I could actually see, but most things were a little fuzzy. My ability to read books or computer screens seem vary from OK to not very good. It just hit me a about 10 days ago how much my vision had cleared up over the last 2 months. It was such a continual process, you don't realize your vision is clearing up on a day-to-day basis.

Have this procedure done was one the better decisions I have made.

Hopefully I will be able to get the Lasik done because I don't think I could do the PRK.
I'm a graphic artist and being able to see the monitor is a biggie.

so what is the price of this now?

LasikPlus has it starting at $250.00 an eye. Which is a huge decrease from what it used to be. Also they just changed our vision plan at work to Cigna
and it now covers part of that procedure. Our old vision plan was Ameritas and they did not.

That's a good input. I've been recommended for cataract lens replacement and have been debating it with myself for a year. Although about 98 percent of these operations are successful, when it goes wrong the results are debilitating. I don't want to put further burdens on my wife if it should go wrong.
I was aware of the risks but just couldn't stand wearing glasses any more. Having glaucoma I also had ECP done at the same time which should prevent the need for daily drops. I am now hopefully close to the day I can see clear without glasses AND not have to remember my drops every single night. Although a little scary it was worth the 2% risk. Good luck with your decision.

LasikPlus has it starting at $250.00 an eye. Which is a huge decrease from what it used to be. Also they just changed our vision plan at work to Cigna
and it now covers part of that procedure. Our old vision plan was Ameritas and they did not.

Wow....I get contacts now. Here is an add for 4 for $17.99. If you change them out once a year, that comes to $215.88 per year. End to end, break even on ROI is a little over 2 years. (not considering convenience)

I had it done in November. Being honest, I don't know if I would do it again.

I am myopic (near-sighted) with a slight astigmatism in both eyes. Left eye was 20/40 and right eye was 20/60. I worked ophthalmology surgery for 18 months and knew the people here in JAX, well.

When I drove (prior to surgery), I could NOT read Interstate signs until I was on top of them (without glasses). With the surge in online publications/computers, I don't read print much anymore. So, I could always adjust FONT on a computer if needed (post Lasix).

So, I elected for surgery.

Now, I see distance perfectly. It's nice to drive and not have to squint to see signs.

Here's a possible drawback. My left eye, dries out more than the right. So, sometimes I need artificial tears (OTC) to keep my left eye moist. When my left eye dries too much, it affects my vision.

Also, I lost the ability to read FINE PRINT. So, I need "readers". I have only 1.25 readers. Very minimal. Working in the OR, sometimes I need them to read serial numbers off of packages.

It is nice, though, to be out and about without glasses. And, to read the ticker on the TV while watching CNN or ESPN, for example.

But, I miss reading FINE PRINT. Just know, it's a trade off. It's not like you will NEVER need correction ever again after LASIX.

Yes best think I ever did. Got it done in 2000 and eyes are still 20-20
My son, who is in the Navy, always wore contacts and that held him back from being accepted into the Navy SARS program. He had the surgery, which corrected his eyesight to 20-20, and he's now in SARS. As others stated, he had an adjustment period of nearly three months until everything cleared up. He said it was the best decision he could have made.

Yes and it the best thing I chose in terms of spending money. 20/20 vision for 10 years now.

This was a good post. These procedures don't work for everyone. MonkeyBoy was right to point out that things like corneal thickness and curvature can affect your outcome. I'm no opthamologist or optometrist, but I have studied this a lot, and have my own persona experience with eye surgery. I had a radial keratotomy ("RK") back in 1984, when I was 27. Although I was 20/20 for years (which was great), I started experiencing some difficulty when I got to my late 40's. Couldn't see with the acuity I had before, particularly long distance, and I had to start squinting to read the newspaper.

My opthamologist told me that it was primarily "presbyopia" (a hardening of the cornea that affects the eye's ability to focus as you look at objects of varying distances). He told me that presbyopia affects pretty much everyone at some point, but that it was almost certainly exacerbated in my case because the RK procedure (in which minute incisions are made in a radial pattern around the surface of the cornea in order to flatten its curvature) made my corneas somewhat less "stable." Wish I had known that when I had the RK procedure done.

Maybe MonkeeBoy (or someone else here) can confirm this, but I believe that Lasik surgery focuses less on the surface of the cornea and more on its interior. (I seem to recall that an incision is made and a "flap" of corneal tissue is pulled back, with the "real work" being done below that flap of corneal tissue. My recollection is that this leaves the surface of the cornea considerably more stable.

Hopefully I will be able to get the Lasik done because I don't think I could do the PRK.
I'm a graphic artist and being able to see the monitor is a biggie.

It was tough for the first couple of weeks, but I was able to get through by increasing font sizes and magnifying texts so I could read the screen.
Good luck with whatever option you decide to take.

I am in the same boat. cC
Cornea's too thin for LASIK but in two weeks having cataract surgery. Currently 20-2000 without glasses; hopefully something much better soon.

I was borderline eligible for lasik and would have shaved a lot off my cornea, so i went with implantable contact lenses (ICL). That was ten years ago and it is has been awesome.

Had it back in Nov. 1998 when I was 26. Had it done in Charlotte at The Laser Institute (TLC). Paid $3500 for both eyes, and came with a lifetime guarantee. Still have 20:20. Best money I've ever spent.

My wife had it done close to ten years ago and it's been great for her. Only negative and it is minor is that her eyes are a little light sensitive, so she wears sunglasses a lot when outdoors in bright sunlight. She puts drops in when she first gets up in the morning.

First post. I've been checking out this website for a while and this thread got me into wanting to sign up.
I had it done a little over 2 years ago. Definitely worth it for me. IMMEDIATELY after the surgery, I saw better. Of course, I was in agony all the rest of the day. EXTREME sensitivity to light (I was wearing sunglasses in poorly lit rooms that evening), plus all day it felt like my eyes had just been zapped by a laser. The next day I went back for the post-op exam feeling perfect. Overall, no problems at all since then. They said that I'd likely need reading glasses in my early 40s (I'm not there yet), but that's a small price to pay. I definitely suggest it to anyone who is determined to be a "good candidate".

Reactions: ChiTownLion
ADVERTISEMENT