ADVERTISEMENT

Voter turnout will be key in the PSAA Alumni Council election

tk819

May 14, 2014
Some key facts about last year's Alumni Council elections: there were 134,780 eligible voters, but only 7,152 voted for a turnout of 5.3%. Of the 10 members elected, 7 were incumbents. Incumbents are apparently very good at generating voter turnout.

Deb Beidel came in third with 3,287 votes. I came in 12th and missed being elected by only 48 votes. Gary Werkheiser was less than 200 votes away. So, if we can get the vote out, we can do this! We need your support and your vote!

Toni Knoll

Some key facts about last year's Alumni Council elections: there were 134,780 eligible voters, but only 7,152 voted for a turnout of 5.3%. Of the 10 members elected, 7 were incumbents. Incumbents are apparently very good at generating voter turnout.
Deb Beidel came in third with 3,287 votes. I came in 12th and missed being elected by only 48 votes. Gary Werkheiser was less than 200 votes away. So, if we can get the vote out, we can do this! We need your support and your vote!
Toni Knoll
Those voting numbers are beyond pathetic. What's worse is you don't even have to leave your house to vote. No bad weather, car broken, had to work, excuses. No wonder the people who run this place throw crap in our faces. It appears few alums give a damn. If anyone on this Board who is eligible to vote does not do so, they are no better than Masser, or Barron, or any of their cronies.

Vote-dammit-300x211.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: psu1969a and tk819
Those voting numbers are beyond pathetic. What's worse is you don't even have to leave your house to vote. No bad weather, car broken, had to work, excuses. No wonder the people who run this place throw crap in our faces. It appears few alums give a damn. If anyone on this Board who is eligible to vote does not do so, they are no better than Masser, or Barron, or any of their cronies.
A huge increase in voter turnout, along with the election of the PSAA for All slate, should send a strong message about the level of alumni discontent with the PSAA

Toni, I am asking all Alumni Council candidates I can find the same question: if elected, will you stop back periodically to Blue White Illustrated and keep us informed on what you and others are doing in your role at the Alumni Association? I love reading Deb Beidel's updates, but she is the only one currently on Alumni Council who doesn't seem to be in the federal witness protection program.

Reactions: fairgambit
A huge increase in voter turnout, along with the election of the PSAA for All slate, should send a strong message about the level of alumni discontent with the PSAA

I agree. Everyone needs to take 5 minutes and get on the phone/ computer to drum up the vote. Seriously, it only takes a few minutes so do it now- don't put it off. Spend 5 minutes hitting your contacts on Twitter, Facebook and the all important email. Encourage everyone to vote for the good guys (who are pinned above in the David Paterno post). ;)

Last edited:
Toni, I am asking all Alumni Council candidates I can find the same question: if elected, will you stop back periodically to Blue White Illustrated and keep us informed on what you and others are doing in your role at the Alumni Association? I love reading Deb Beidel's updates, but she is the only one currently on Alumni Council who doesn't seem to be in the federal witness protection program.

Absolutely. One of the problems with the AC is that it tends to be a very insular group. Their connections are likely to be concentrated among members of their local chapters and societies. They run the risk of missing the attitudes and concerns of the broader cross-section of alums who aren't as actively involved. There must be more outreach to these alums and more open channels of communication. Engaging via social media is one effective method. I guess I am one of the dreaded "social media types"

Absolutely. One of the problems with the AC is that it tends to be a very insular group. Their connections are likely to be concentrated among members of their local chapters and societies. They run the risk of missing the attitudes and concerns of the broader cross-section of alums who aren't as actively involved. There must be more outreach to these alums and more open channels of communication. Engaging via social media is one effective method. I guess I am one of the dreaded "social media types"
mission accomplished a supporting ballot is cast

Reactions: tk819
To get a ballot, call Votenet 866-307-0041. They will take the information and even stay on the line with you until the ballot shows up in your inbox.

Bump. Time to vote and get every Penn Stater you know encouragement to do the same. Time is running out. The 'good guys' are pinned above in the David Paterno thread. ;)

If you are a member of the alumni association, please vote. Even my husband did not get a ballot automatically this time and he swears he voted for me last year :)

If you have voted, please find one additional member of the alumni association and get them to cast a ballot. It only takes a few minutes. The last few weeks show that Old Main is deaf and we need to stand up and question everything and everyone.

Thank you all for your passion.

If you are a member of the alumni association, please vote. Even my husband did not get a ballot automatically this time and he swears he voted for me last year :)

If you have voted, please find one additional member of the alumni association and get them to cast a ballot. It only takes a few minutes. The last few weeks show that Old Main is deaf and we need to stand up and question everything and everyone.

Thank you all for your passion.

To get a ballot, call Votenet 866-307-0041. They will take the information and even stay on the line with you until the ballot shows up in your inbox.

Another reminder. Vote today (and spread the word to other Penn Staters). ;)

Reactions: fairgambit
Last Friday, after sitting on my ballot for a week or so, I decided to do my duty and cast the vote. I had previously sent an email to a contact provided on this board in order to request a ballot - kind of strange because I've been a lifetime member since 1971 and had received all the ballots previously.

So I click on the embedded link and the screen asks for a user ID and password. I mutter "oh, $hit" and start thinking bad thoughts about the process. the cabal and how we alums are being cast away by the skunks who are piloting the ship.

Anyway, after going back to the email with the embedded link, I find a phone number so I make the call. The young lady who answers is very pleasant and she asks if the embedded link was real long (it was). She said that all the required data (username/password) is embedded in the link, so I tell her to wait a second, I delete my initial attempt and then retry the link.

Voila ... it worked. I thanked her for her help and proceeded to do my little part.

This is posted to provide some direction to others who may have had similar difficulty.

Reactions: psu00
Last Friday, after sitting on my ballot for a week or so, I decided to do my duty and cast the vote. I had previously sent an email to a contact provided on this board in order to request a ballot - kind of strange because I've been a lifetime member since 1971 and had received all the ballots previously.

So I click on the embedded link and the screen asks for a user ID and password. I mutter "oh, $hit" and start thinking bad thoughts about the process. the cabal and how we alums are being cast away by the skunks who are piloting the ship.

Anyway, after going back to the email with the embedded link, I find a phone number so I make the call. The young lady who answers is very pleasant and she asks if the embedded link was real long (it was). She said that all the required data (username/password) is embedded in the link, so I tell her to wait a second, I delete my initial attempt and then retry the link.

Voila ... it worked. I thanked her for her help and proceeded to do my little part.

This is posted to provide some direction to others who may have had similar difficulty.

FWIW - I have found that the folks at VoteNet (the third party vendor) seem friendly and efficient.

Now, why so many folks have had to jump through hoops to get ballots for both the BOT and Alumni Council elections.......I think we know who's handiwork that is.

If you are a PSAA member and haven't received a ballot, call 866-307-0041. Let's send a message. Voting ends May 31.

Reactions: psu00
Toni Knoll[/QUOTE]
If you are a PSAA member and haven't received a ballot, call 866-307-0041. Let's send a message. Voting ends May 31.
If you care about Penn State and her future, you have to vote in every election you can. There really is no excuse. If you have a ballot, use it. If you have to make a call to get one, make the call. Time is running out.

Reactions: tk819 and psu00
Toni Knoll

If you care about Penn State and her future, you have to vote in every election you can. There really is no excuse. If you have a ballot, use it. If you have to make a call to get one, make the call. Time is running out.[/QUOTE]

Bump. Time is really running out. Last day to vote is this Sunday IIRC. Vote now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT