ADVERTISEMENT

Vinyl siding.

zwick99

May 8, 2015
Anyone install vinyl siding for a living? I have tech question. I have been getting some conflicting advice from contractors and suppliers on the install.

My house is a brick cape about 60 yrs old. The first floor is all brick. THe second floor has a roof going up in the front and down in the back. The siding is on two sides and a dormer in the back on the second floor.

I have seen a few neighbors homes get done over the years and when they take the old siding off there is no plywood sheathing under the siding. It is just 1/2" insulation board nailed to the studs and siding straight over that.

Do I need plywood or OSB sheathing before the siding? I have not seen anyone put it up on similar projects in my neighborhood but I think I need it. What do you recommend.

the 1/2 insulation board is probably the minimum you need. However, I would, if not already filled, the stud bays with bat insulation. Cover the studs with 1/2" plywood or OSB with mold/water retarder. If you still need insulation, add 1 inch form sheets, make sure to seal the seams. Hang your siding.

First what are you calling ;insulation board'? Is it the fiber board coated with tar that was so common years ago? (Known as celotex)

If your house is insulated, no need to remove the insulation board. Just cover it with a breathable water barrier like Tyvek house wrap. There are other brands. Then side it over. The one advantage to replacing it with OSB/plywood is that the house would be stronger Important in hurricane zones or high wind areas. As it is 60 yrs old, it is probably strong enough.

If the house walls are not insulated, you can remove the insulation board and install batts. Just be sure that the paper vapor barrier is placed to the outside of the house, never facing outside. Or you could blow in cellulose without removing the insulation board. Either way, be sure to use the house wrap. One big issue with removal, other than cost, is that a heavy rain storm could do considerable damage to drywall/plaster if it hits during process.

Some people say that using foam board is ill advised as it does not breathe and may cause moisture and mold problems. Depends on your area.

When they take the old siding off there is no plywood sheathing under the siding. That was the installation method back in the day, but building practices have evolved a lot since then and this is your best opportunity to really improve the structural integrity and insulation of your 2nd story.

It is just 1/2" insulation board nailed to the studs and siding straight over that. The 1/2" or 3/4" foam insulation boards have an R value of 4-6, which doesn't meet current energy efficiency code requirements, especially if the existing insulation in your wall cavities is poor, which is probably the case because if the age of your home. Thicker foam boards (1"-2") are better, but still aren't adequate to sufficiently insulate the walls. Your neighbors had their vinyl hung directly to the wall studs with a single layer of foam because it costs less and they probably didn't know any better.

Do I need plywood or OSB sheathing before the siding? Yes, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, sheathing greatly improves the rigidity of the structure by tying the wall studs together into a unified structural element. Secondly, the sheathing provides a nice rigid surface to hold and protect the insulation in the wall cavity.

Here's what I recommend.

1) Assume that when you remove the existing siding, you will find that the old insulation (probably wool or equivalent) has settled in the cavities and that only the lower 1/2 of the wall cavity was effectively insulated. I'd remove the old insulation and replace with fiberglass batts. Assuming that your walls were framed with 2"x4", your will need to install R-13 batts. If your want a significantly higher R value, you can have the wall cavities foam sprayed, but that will cost 2x -3x the fiberglass. Before you install the fiberglass batts, you will want to apply a bead of insulating foam all along the interior perimeter of the wall cavity where the backside of the drywall meets the back edge of the wall studs. This will completely seal the cavity and eliminate air movement.

2) after insulating, install 1/2" sheathing. OSB is fine in this situation and is somewhat less expensive than builder grade plywood.

3) at this point and depending on your Rvalue insulation requirements, you could add foam insulation panels to boost the R value. Hit the below links to learn about foam panels and their available thicknesses and R values. The second linked article explains the benefits and methodology of layering sheathing a insulating panels. After you open the link, click "download as a PDF" or click on the 2 page image and the full article should open.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/tool-guide/articles/insulation-rigid-foam.aspx

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/save-energy-rigid-foam-insulation.aspx?ac=ts&ra=fp

4) you will also need to install a vapor barrier like Tyvek or tar felt paper. This is generally stapled directly to the Sheathing and I think it can go between the sheathing and the foam insulation if you go that route, but I'll need to go do some research on the proper layering of the vapor barrier relative to the foam.

5) install vinyl

Last edited:
Anyone install vinyl siding for a living? I have tech question. I have been getting some conflicting advice from contractors and suppliers on the install.

My house is a brick cape about 60 yrs old. The first floor is all brick. THe second floor has a roof going up in the front and down in the back. The siding is on two sides and a dormer in the back on the second floor.

I have seen a few neighbors homes get done over the years and when they take the old siding off there is no plywood sheathing under the siding. It is just 1/2" insulation board nailed to the studs and siding straight over that.

Do I need plywood or OSB sheathing before the siding? I have not seen anyone put it up on similar projects in my neighborhood but I think I need it. What do you recommend.
Reduce the number of seams and get the longer length. We originally had Masonite Colorlok siding and after about 35+ years it needed replacement. We informed the contractor who had been installing many years and did not know the longer lengths were available. We installed 16' lengths.

ADVERTISEMENT